A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

Eh, you know, I'm at the point I just don't care any more.

You all want EA to keep the high repair costs in so that people like me won't help anyone through flash points ever again and numerous others who somehow enjoy raiding enough to pay for it stop doing it, more power to ya.

That's what y'all did in Spring 2012 when hundreds of thousands of players dropped the game in a very short timeframe and EA panic mode switched from "let's make a great game with episodic releases!" to "let's sell gambling packs to idiots!".

Will there be enough gambling pack buyers after the raiding subscribers are gone to convince EA to keep the servers up?

Maybe we'll see. Or you will, anyway.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, you know, I'm at the point I just don't care any more.

You all want EA to keep the high repair costs in so that people like me won't help anyone through flash points ever again and numerous others who somehow enjoy raiding enough to pay for it stop doing it, more power to ya.

That's what y'all did in Spring 2012 when hundreds of thousands of players dropped the game in a very short timeframe and EA panic mode switched from "let's make a great game with episodic releases!" to "let's sell gambling packs to idiots!".

Will there be enough gambling pack buyers after the raiding subscribers are gone to convince EA to keep the servers up?

Maybe we'll see. Or you will, anyway.

Nowhere, have i ever said i want to keep the high repair costs.

All i have ever continuously said, throughout the entire thread is.

I do NOT see the problem with how high they are. I do NOT see WHY it's SUCH a big deal.

I even acknowledged that it WOULD get reverted back due to the high amounts of QQ over something that shouldn't even be as big of an issue as people are making it out to be. (srsly canceling subs over repair costs is *********** stupid)

Ironically you call me an elitist at one point in time, when i'm still the one willing to run and teach people how to do fp's, while you sit there and go "i'm not going to teach people **** because then i'll wipe, i'm not going to run, i only want good people if i do run" who's got the elitist attitude again?

Edited by DarthVenizen

I haven't tested anything with this, but it seems like this would then have the unattractive side effect of making Cartel armor much cheaper to repair, since it sells to a vendor for one credit. While I doubt this was their intention, I suspect they will have many more unhappy people around if true (to reiterate, I didn't test this).

As an aside, back in the old days of repair costs, costs were determined by percent repaired, not a flat rate per durability point. This meant that it cost the same to go from 40 to 80 durability (for light armor) as it did to go from 60 to 120 durability (for heavy) - ie, light armor wearers had to repair more often, for the same price. While I don't really raid anymore, it would be unfortunate if the increased repair costs made this an issue again.

I checked with a Spymaster headpiece and came to the following conclusion. The cost to repair an item is currently completely based on the sell price of the item (not a surprise, I know). The Sell price is now made up of both the shell value and the mods (armor, hilt, mod, enhancement and potentially augment) in the gear. If the shell has a very high sell price (as the legacy gear has) then the cost to repair will be overly expensive at low levels. This is how the level 29 assassin in legacy armor has an 8k bill after a single death (or even just getting their durability knocked down 10%). Cartel gear with a "sell price" of 1 credit is the cheapest shell to put your mods in and can save you some money.

Unfortunately I don't know how the repair calculations were done prior to 1.7, but the more I think about it the more I think the shell was probably not included in the cost. It was probably based solely on the value of the mods which is why the legacy gear at low levels was not prohibitively expensive to repair. At high levels some of the shells can be quite valuable, but people with mods in shells that are cheap (such as the spymaster) are seeing little to no change in their repair costs. That's my theory, but there is no way to test unless they revert.

just because someone doesn't say that they think repair costs are too low, or isn't adamant that they are, doesn't mean that they don't think they are.

True, but the point is they don't care enough to say or do anything about it.

I've actually said these to my guildies

"Wow, these repair costs are so much better then vindictus"

"At least the repair costs are cheap, kinda too cheap, but whatever"

"maybe they should incrase the repair costs to back before 1.2 so things will go down in price"

"Hey, remember when tank repairs sucked?"

"Credits are too easy in this game, need a new credit sink or a revert to repairs"

I'm sure neither you nor your guild mates have ever complained about the cost of repair. EVER. lol.

I'm sure neither you nor your guild mates have ever complained about the cost of repair. EVER. lol.

I have.

Because I played Vindictus.

And if anyone thinks these repair costs are bad.

I dare them to play that and get high tier armor and then see who's laughing at high repair costs.

True, but the point is they don't care enough to say or do anything about it.

i covered that with

In fact if they were to have come to the forums and vocalized their opinions on the forums they would have gotten flamed to hell.

and as i said way earlier in the thread, when 1.2 hit and the repairs were lowered so much, the first thing out of my mouth at my first repair was "wow that's fking stupid" I had thought they were a little high pre 1.2 (there weren't as many dailies back then which made the repair costs even worse, if repair costs would have been as much as they were pre 1.2 with all the dalies they have now, i wouldn't have had an issue with it), i though they were WAY too low post 1.2, they should have found a happy medium, which, they never did.

Edited by DarthVenizen

I have.

Because I played Vindictus.

And if anyone thinks these repair costs are bad.

I dare them to play that and get high tier armor and then see who's laughing at high repair costs.

Nobody believes that you and your guild have never complained about repairs costs in swtor. Who cares if they are higher in another game.

Nobody believes that you and your guild have never complained about repairs costs in swtor. Who cares if they are higher in another game.

I do, because compared to the rate of repair in this game, now, before 1.7, and before 1.2. IT WAS LAUGHABLE.

AHAHAHAHAHA

it's so cheap, people must be dirt poor if they can't afford it!

wahahahahaha

Also, don't care if you don't believe me. It happened.

i covered that with

and as i said way earlier in the thread, when 1.2 hit and the repairs were lowered so much, the first thing out of my mouth at my first repair was "wow that's fking stupid" I had thought they were a little high pre 1.2, i though they were WAY too low post 1.2, they should have found a happy medium, which, they never did.

I believe you, and I agree that they haven't found a good compromise. How it was implemented makes it worse. I think you would agree though that the dissatisfaction of the "no increase" folks outweighs the satisfaction of the "yes, increase" advocates.

I do, because compared to the rate of repair in this game, now, before 1.7, and before 1.2. IT WAS LAUGHABLE.

AHAHAHAHAHA

it's so cheap, people must be dirt poor if they can't afford it!

wahahahahaha

Also, don't care if you don't believe me. It happened.

Right, and what also happened is you and your group complaining about repair costs after wiping a hm fp. Everybody knows it's true already. Why not just admit it?

Right, and what also happened is you and your group complaining about repair costs after wiping a hm fp. Everybody knows it's true already. Why not just admit it?

Because we aren't bad and we don't wipe on HM's (also they are easy, if they wipe, you got a bad group)

ALSO

ALSO

We have a guild bank so when we do have our high end repairs of 10k-30k, they can withdraw it.

So basically you're saying that, aside from paying $15 a month to play the game as all the raiders do, they should also be required to grind 90 minutes worth of dailies per operation they have on farm and a large multiple of that 90 minutes when they want to progress?

Yeah, that's fun worth paying for! :rolleyes:

I'm saying, I don't see the problem. It's not difficult to make credits in this game. Nor is the amount of time to make credits in this game egregious compared to other games. The only ones I see crying are the special Cupcakes who want everything handed to them w/o having to do any back effort to get it.

I'm from the good old Eq1 days when Hell Levels still existed before people like you whined and got them removed. When making Plat in the game took effort and time. Raids have always been expensive. Wipes have always been expensive. Corpse Runs were a real pain, till people wined and SOE added the cemetery. As they systematically removed the things in the game that made the game an actual challenge the game became easier and easier and those of us who played for the challenge, left to find games that were more challenging.

Sadly in this day and age, most of the games out there have little to no actual challenge to an experienced player like myself, and all I see when I see people screaming about having to actually do some back work to get what they want, is a bunch of self entitled babies who are so used to having everything handed to them on a silver platter from other games that they get upset when God Forbid, they actually have to put some effort into this game to get what they want. Not, mind you, that this game takes any real effort to do either, it's pablum at it's worst.

Only reason I'm even playing it is I like the SW IP and wish this game was about 10 times harder than it currently is.

Because we aren't bad and we don't wipe on HM's (also they are easy, if they wipe, you got a bad group)

ALSO

ALSO

We have a guild bank so when we do have our high end repairs of 10k-30k, they can withdraw it.

So now you never wipe, and you've never complained about the cost when you (well, it doesn't happen according to you, but let's just pretend) do. How well do you believe you have made your point here?

So now you never wipe, and you've never complained about the cost when you (well, it doesn't happen according to you, but let's just pretend) do. How well do you believe you have made your point here?

technically he said he's never wiped in a hm fp, or he doesn't anymore. Which if he runs with a solid group, is 100% possible. HM FP's (outside of lost island and kaon bonus boss but who the hell does kaon bonus boss since they took away it dropping columi headgear even tho it's harder then the actual final boss QQ) are such a joke, most of them were designed to be run in non tionese gear, (obvious exceptions kaon and lost island) but now they hand you tionese gear significantly decreasing the difficulty. (BTW I despise that they hand you tionese gear)

And not all people complain, I never vocally back pre 1.2 said "dayum these costs are soooo high" i internally thought wow that's a bit pricey, but, whatever. I dealt with it (coincidentally part of the reason it was especially pricey was 1) tank 2) one of our healers only played for raids so i ended up paying for his repair costs as well so i was paying double 3) NM SOA SO FKING GLITCH OHMAGAWD)

Edited by DarthVenizen

I said we never wipe its true, thats because when things hit the fan, me and the tank are stealthers.

We punish the dps for doing stupid things (BECAUSE THEY DO STUPID THINGS BECAUSE ITS FUNNY. RAMINO/MAUCS LOOKING AT YOU)

But we get them back. We have fun.

Infact, the other day, we all did wipe in HM False Emperor because WE WERE HAVING TOO MUCH DAMN FUN trying to kill each other.

But when we are focused and want to get BoI or BT done ASAP we know what to do and never wipe.

When we want to dick around, half of us wipe.

I am boycotting an entire company because of this.

Add to this the crap that happend with Mass Effect Franchise along with the unfinished KoTOR 2 ( yeah I know it was Obsidien but it had Bioware's backing) and the suckage that was the Dragon Age garbage.

to be fair, bio had zip, zilch, zippo to do with the relative unfinished state of kotor2. lucas was the publisher and obsidian was the developer. the obsidian guys came up with some ideas to expand the original scope of kotor2, and they were told to run with those ideas... but the obsinaties foolishly did not get lucas art's ok in writing. a couple of months pass and obsidian is told that they need to finish up their development as per the initial agreement between developer and publisher... which came as a bit of a surprise to the developers.

blame obsidian for being naive. blame lucas for misleading obsidian. blame bioware for... what exactly?

dts

I think you're replying to the wrong person or I've confused you with my message.

My position is that the repair costs are too damn high, and that between 1.2 and 1.7, no player ever said, "The repair costs are too damn low!" so everyone arguing the "fix" is a good thing is a hypocrite at best.

I won't claim to have said that the repair costs are too high between 1.2 and 1.7. What I have been saying is that while the repair costs are higher now, I would not classify them as too high. If there was indeed a bug between 1.2 and 1.7 that caused repair costs and/or vendor prices to be calculated incorrectly by not taking the item modifications into account, then the repair costs were not working as intended. If the devs corrected this bug, then even though my repair costs have increased, I'll just have to make sure I find a way to afford the increased costs. If there is a new bug causing the repair costs to be calculated incorrectly based on the level of the shell and not the mods, then this new bug needs to be fixed. The repair costs do not need to be reduced to the previously bugged levels.

I am a casual player with limited time to play. I'm not going to refuse to run dailies because that's not the "fun" part of the game I want to play, nor am I going to ignore the fact that I can send companions out on gathering missions and sell the mats on the GTN, though.

Do you hear people complaining complaining that costs for anything are too low in real life? I don't. Guess what, though. Prices rise in real life, too. Sometimes they go up due to rising overhead costs, sometimes due to rising costs of materials and sometimes for no apparent reason at all. When costs rise, people may complain, but they usually pay the increased costs. Most do not demand or expect that costs be lowered to the previous level.

Well, I think what he meant to say was clear, no? Bugs usually don't benefit all players in minor ways but are annoyances that deserve to be fixed. Better?

A bug may not usually benefit all players in minor ways, but that makes it no less a bug if it does. To claim a beneficial bug becomes a "feature" after a certain length of time, but refuse to accept a bug that does not benefit oneself as a "feature" if it goes unfixed for the same length of time is a rather hypocritical attitude, IMO.

This bug, by the way, did NOT benefit all players in minor ways. We've heard in thread alone about the players who were paying much higher repair costs even prior to 1.7 based on the fact that they were not using the lower level orange shells, but rather the higher level purple dread guard shells.

I hear ya, but the thing is, they did that change in 1.2 because repair costs were too high before that.

What would be their thinking (outside some cartel repair kit coming) for raising it for any reason. If you're going to "fix" this, then lower the overall since it's going to be back to being too high again.

They don't seem to understand that credit sinks like this hurt the wrong people. The people with oodles and oodles of credits aren't going to care because they have the time and the methods to earn creds constantly. The average player that has less time to play is not interested in being forced to spend 80% of play time earning creds and 20% doing things they actually enjoy.

Today is my last sub day, if it's not already freemium. I decided a while ago that their decisions were so out of touch that I wasn't willing to pay money anymore. If I find F2P too restrictive, I'll just go somewhere else eventually. Not crying, not complaining. Just saying, the people making decisions here are out of it.

I don't know what the future holds, maybe they'll finally fire the RIGHT people and get someone that knows what they're doing in there. Maybe the game will turn around. Who knows, but right now, this game and the people running it haven't earned the right to any more of my "creds".

The intent with 1.2 was to lower the repair costs, I agree. However, it may not have been the intent to lower them as much as they were lowered, and it is possible that they have been adjusted to intended post 1.2 amount. Even now the repair costs are still lower than they were prior to 1.2, although not as low as they were prior to 1.7.

This thread is kind of all over the place now.

I'm sorry Ratajack, but as soon as you felt the need to demonstrate your real life concerns in conjunction with your gaming concerns you lost your fight. It's entirely possible your post was 100% sincere and genuine in regard to what you do in real life and how you still manage to find time to grind dailies... But as soon as you felt the need to share it with a bunch of strangers on the internet any credibility your argument had went out the window.

If pointing out that it is possible to have a life outside of the game, and still manage, in the limited time I get to play, to make the credits to afford the higher repair costs throws my credibility out the window, then so be it. How would you respond to all those people who claim that their play time is limited due to real life concerns outside of the game and they do not have the time to do dailies or play the GTN? All I hear is people finding excuses for refusing to make any effort to earn credits to be able to afford the higher repair costs because all they want to do is the "fun' stuff.

All I hear is people finding excuses for refusing to make any effort to earn credits to be able to afford the higher repair costs because all they want to do is the "fun' stuff.

And just what the heck is wrong with that? SWTOR is a leisure activity. Its supposed to be FUN and ENTERTAINING.

I sure as hell dont pay $15 a month to be made to "work" a 2nd job. This for me is the last straw put on top of other grievances I have about this game that I truly love - THAT is why I and many like myself have unsubscribed.

Im just trying to finish off as many class storylines as possible before my subscription ends now.

ok, repairs are definitely bugged.

was just trying to get world boss on Illum and we wiped to his debuff (it was a worm boss) my repair from wipe, wearing mostly bind on legacy/cartel armor shells was 8k. which I think is decent. another person in same group as me, wearing tionese shells? 30k. bear in mind, our modification quality was exactly the same, I just ripped the mods out of tionese shells and put them into event gear. this does NOT look like working as intended to me, and 30k for a single wipe, honestly seems a bit much. I used to come out at least even when running flashpoints etc ,even if they were going badly. I'm a little scared of what will happen when my operative finally hits 50 and will be wearing lvl 50 shells for a bit.

I'm not unsubscribing. there too much I still like in a game. but repair costs have got to be fixed.