Obsidian working on a Star Wars RPG set between Episode 3 and 4.

GhostDrone

So let me get this right. Qi gon, gets stabed in the stomach and dies shortly afterwards, but Darth maul, get servered IN HALF and lives........

What a load of sh......

Yeah, seriously. Any chance of me taking the Clone Wars cartoons seriously went out the window when I saw that. Ahsoka was pushing it, but now cyborg Maul? Come on, this is turning into a massive Charlie Foxtrot.

And KotOR 2 was one of the best RPG's I've seen. Glitchy, yes, but amazing characterization and, you know... roleplaying. You thought about your decisions in that game, you didn't just hover over the dialogue choice and see which icon popped up for alignment choices.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me get this right. Qi gon, gets stabed in the stomach and dies shortly afterwards, but Darth maul, get servered IN HALF and lives........

What a load of sh......

Well...ignoring the fact that Zabs and humans are different, getting stabbed in the stomach is gonna possibly damage some vital organs that are needed to live.

Well...ignoring the fact that Zabs and humans are different, getting stabbed in the stomach is gonna possibly damage some vital organs that are needed to live.

I mean, maybe the part where his spine was severed didn't kill him right away...

... it's more the part where his internal organs spill out as he tumbles down a 1000 foot exhaust shaft and splatters on whatever happens to be down there.

I mean, maybe the part where his spine was severed didn't kill him right away...

... it's more the part where his internal organs spill out as he tumbles down a 1000 foot exhaust shaft and splatters on whatever happens to be down there.

There is no spilling out of anything since the wound gets sealed(cauterization), and he didn't really fall he caught a vent and saved himself before reaching the bottom....when I didn't really see any vents at all but eh guess the book explains that. Plus its not like people haven't survived without their bottom half(its rare but there is 1 man I have looked up), and yet die from a bullet to the chest or w/e.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Lol, KOTOR2 is so amazing that people, fans you may call them, even bothered to work their asses to bring all the unseen content into the Restoration Project.

So you know what, I hope they'll do another SW game just to ruin your day.

You have to admit that Obsidian being involved begs the question "will it actually be complete and not have removed content this time?".

What a load of sh......

You know what I find funny? That people are perfectly willing to accept the existence of a mystical, invisible energy called 'the Force' and that its users have the power to shoot lightning from their hands, escape death and live on as a Force ghost, render themselves invisible, manipulate people's minds, create illusions that can do harm, devour entire planets and achieve immortality. And yet they cannot accept, and entirely reject that a Force user could possibly survive having his body cut in half.

Its verging on stupidity.

"Nothing is impossible with the Force." ~ Kreia... believe it!

Forget whether it could happen or not, instead consider whether it should have happened or not. That is all that matters, and at least IMO I think Maul added volumes of good to TCW and Sam Witwer is by far one of the best voice actors in the entire Star Wars saga.

But this debate has nothing really to do with the subject of this thread, so maybe we need to refocus. One thing I'd like to reinforce is that the incompleteness of KOTOR II was largely if not entirely down to Lucasarts - and we have no reason to believe they'll rush the game for a December deadline again, that would be almost as silly as the above...

Cauterized wound ya noob !

(just joking).

There is no spilling out of anything since the wound gets sealed(cauterization), and he didn't really fall he caught a vent and saved himself before reaching the bottom....when I didn't really see any vents at all but eh guess the book explains that. Plus its not like people haven't survived without their bottom half(its rare but there is 1 man I have looked up), and yet die from a bullet to the chest or w/e.

I know it's a little off topic, but I can't resist...

Cauterization refers to the sealing of the arteries when a lightsaber cuts into the body. Note that it is not instantaneous (we see some blood on Qui-Gon's robes, which makes sense because arteries are under pressure and even if sealed almost immediately by the lightsaber, there would still be some leakage). Also, we see in Empire Strikes Back that a tauntaun can be eviscerated by a lightsaber... it's internal organs begin to spill out after Han cuts it.

This is because the edges of the wound are cauterized, the physical organ of the skin remains sealed where it was cut, but there is still the massive hole in Darth Maul's body, through which all of his intestines, pancreas, liver, kidneys, etc. will drop right out.

I know it's a PG film, but evisceration is quite a messy business. Also consider Maul spinning and falling, which would likely propel anything still inside his ribs outward, possibly rupturing his lungs, etc.

Now, maybe Maul pulled a Sion or something like that... but there's still the matter that Qui-Gon dies moments after the duel ends (which means that his injury was not immediately fatal). Now, if the wound didn't kill him immediately, and he wasn't bleeding from it... why couldn't he hold via the Force and have Obi-Wan call a medic?

My outrage at Maul being alive stems primarily from the direct contrast between him and Qui-Gon Jinn.

Back on topic, my only concern with Obsidian is that their QA department appears to not exist. Sadly, every game they've released in the past ten years has had numerous bugs and glitches. However, so do the Elder Scrolls games, and they're hugely successful. So it's just a matter of Obsidian learning to provide good post-release customer support via patches and fixes.

This is something that they would have to collaborate with Lucasfilm on, but given the new (very stable) management that they're under, this likely will not be a problem. So I'm pretty excited if this project gets off the ground, since any RPG from the old Black Isle Studios team is one that I will play.

Well, I am certainly gonna play it. Didn't even know Obsidian still exists - I haven't heard of them in quite a while.

I wouldn't want another KotOR. The Jedi Order wiped out yet again. Yet another Revan / Exile figure who faces evil alone as virtually last remaining Jedi and saves the galaxy from being conquered by the Sith / utterly annihilated, respectively.

No characters like Kelemvor or Darth Traya anymore, who are just smarter than you and tell you how you got it all wrong in the end. No apocalyptic stories anymore like burning out the Force, consuming entire planets with sheer force of will, or tearing down the wall of souls...

Like it was mentioned above, they are not making anything (yet). It's just a pitch to Disney/Lucasarts.

I would like to see this happen but I wouldn't get my hopes up since Disney has already stated they have no interest in any other than social & mobile games now but you never know. Maybe Mr. Urquhart can convince them.

If this is true where does this leave 1313. Surely thats still going ahead?

Well, I am certainly gonna play it. Didn't even know Obsidian still exists - I haven't heard of them in quite a while.

I wouldn't want another KotOR. The Jedi Order wiped out yet again. Yet another Revan / Exile figure who faces evil alone as virtually last remaining Jedi and saves the galaxy from being conquered by the Sith / utterly annihilated, respectively.

No characters like Kelemvor or Darth Traya anymore, who are just smarter than you and tell you how you got it all wrong in the end. No apocalyptic stories anymore like burning out the Force, consuming entire planets with sheer force of will, or tearing down the wall of souls...

Agreed, I want a more roguish 'do the hell whatever I want' storyline - and hey, why does it even have to involve a Jedi? Cut it out the equation completely! This could very much work in the period their planning on, given the scarcity of Sith and Jedi in that time.

In fact, I'm placing my bets on it being about a non-force sensitive protagonist.

Agreed, I want a more roguish 'do the hell whatever I want' storyline - and hey, why does it even have to involve a Jedi? Cut it out the equation completely! This could very much work in the period their planning on, given the scarcity of Sith and Jedi in that time.

In fact, I'm placing my bets on it being about a non-force sensitive protagonist.

If I was to say what story I like, regardless of whether it's likely, or whether anyone else wants it, I'd say a blend of film noir detective story and a typical Star Wars story. With Jedi and lightsaber and all that. Emphasise on the aspect that Jedi are meant to be "knightly" in a way. Just that you don't try to be obvious about being a Jedi in that timespan. Maybe a bit reminiscent of the story of a Knights Templar after friday the thirteenth, trying to uphold the values of the order, but being disillusioned by a dark world surrounding them - though not necessarily dark side. Including a femme fatal, who can help you if you let her close but will ultimately betray you or drive you into darkness, if you let her close. Or hinder you, but never really engage you face to face, leaving you in a cold world, if you don't.

The game might even be black and white to emphasise the atmosphere.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

If I was to say what story I like, regardless of whether it's likely, or whether anyone else wants it, I'd say a blend of film noir detective story and a typical Star Wars story. With Jedi and lightsaber and all that. Emphasise on the aspect that Jedi are meant to be "knightly" in a way. Just that you don't try to be obvious about being a Jedi in that timespan. Maybe a bit reminiscent of the story of a Knights Templar after friday the thirteenth, trying to uphold the values of the order, but being disillusioned by a dark world surrounding them - though not necessarily dark side. Including a femme fatal, who can help you if you let her close but will ultimately betray you or drive you into darkness, if you let her close. Or hinder you, but never really engage you face to face, leaving you in a cold world, if you don't.

The game might even be black and white to emphasise the atmosphere.

Um, hi. I'm the ghost of Star Wars yet-to-come, and before I possess you and twist your mind into a yarnball, I just have to ask.... have you played many Star Wars games? Seen the films, maybe?

That sort of a game would be interesting (it's called L.A. Noire, if you're wondering) but is very far from thematically Star Wars. It would just hurt the genre, I feel.

Edited by Ventessel

Um, hi. I'm the ghost of Star Wars yet-to-come, and before I possess you and twist your mind into a yarnball, I just have to ask.... have you played many Star Wars games? Seen the films, maybe?

That sort of a game would be interesting (it's called L.A. Noire, if you're wondering) but is very far from thematically Star Wars. It would just hurt the genre, I feel.

I don't think it would hurt the genre. The theme of Star Wars can be used in a lot of different context. Think of the wide array of different attitudes and feels all the different Batman films and TV shows have. Star Wars will always be a very fantastic story, but it doesn't have to be a heroic epic... Of course it's difficult to blend the excessively fantastic Star Wars theme in a context which relies showing a cold, hard reality - but it's possible, if you find a way what being pulled down to a hard reality without heroes means in Star Wars context. Think of "The Watchmen"... it's still a superhero story, but it's not quite Superman.

The black and white notion might be exaggerated - a ightsaber just won't work in black and white, even if you try to keep combat small and personal rather than epic and ultimate.

However, regardless of my personal, yet most unlikely preferences, I'd say it would be nice if the story was smaller in scope than usual - rather personal than the fate of the galaxy. And violence was used on a more conscious level - not nameless masked mobs to cut through, but opponents with a name, a history and a purpose. If there is one thing I always liked about Obsidian games, even if I didn't like the story overall, it was the companions and the people around you. Kaelyn the Dove, Visas Mar... And they are good at being somewhat dark, if you think of Mask of the Betrayer.

Edited by Rabenschwinge