Is there some place where i can find

Darth_Bond

grrr. it'd be nice to get a priority order for different classes without going over the spreadsheets,

i tried, still dont have an answer

That's because it isn't as simple as a priority order. You want a simple 1. 2. 3. answer to a question that is far more complicated than that.

So you don't know either?

Yes, as a matter of fact I do know the answer. The answer is that you must look here and for me as a Guardian I also look here.

There isn't a fixed answer. The answer will change based on how many points you have invested in each stat. The OP doesn't like that answer because it's complicated. The answer is still there though. You look at how many points you have to invest in all 3 stats and you can go to those spreadsheets and find the optimal distribution, but it is never as simple as prioritizing them 1. 2. 3.

For a Shadow tank it's Absorb > defense > Shield rating

Wrong.

For a Shadow tank it depends on how much you have of each stat just like every other tank. You have to use the spreadsheets to optimize just like everyone else. Why can't people get that this is a more complicated question than simply saying one is better than the other?

*Slaps* better seen not heard.

Don't mistake me for some muppet who's typing random crap for the hell of it because i simplified information for people's benefits, just because you have a hard on for spreadsheets, thats fine but it doesn't mean we have to use them on forums to explain every tiny thing when it can easily be explained in a simple manner so you can take that elitism crap some where else

For people who can do math in their heads (without spreadsheets, calculators and finger & toes) can easily tell you why it's

Absorb > defense > shield chance, plus common sense, minus idiocy, plus raid group, divided by consular's in group, equals awesome geared shadow tank

Don't mistake me for some muppet who's typing random crap for the hell of it because i simplified information for people's benefits, just because you have a hard on for spreadsheets, thats fine but it doesn't mean we have to use them on forums to explain every tiny thing when it can easily be explained in a simple manner so you can take that elitism crap some where else

For people who can do math in their heads (without spreadsheets, calculators and finger & toes) can easily tell you why it's

Absorb > defense > shield chance, plus common sense, minus idiocy, plus raid group, divided by consular's in group, equals awesome geared shadow tank

It isn't about elitism. Optimal = optimal.

I don't think you are helping people by simplifying in this way because the right answer isn't simple. People are helped by learning the right answer and by learning that not everything in life (or mmo's) is simple.

Absorb > Defense > shield chance isn't always a true statement for Shadows. Sorry, but it just isn't. It is true sometimes. I think when you make categorical statements that aren't categorically true you owe it to the people listening to be honest about that. You weren't.

I really like numbers myself but that has nothing to do with elitism. I just like math that is all.

Regarding this though I think that some people are overworking it. As long as the advice is in general correct as this one surely is why trash it?

Yes you can add more complex and detailed information but it is not like it will matter at all for a new tank. Just use the top tier gear with tanking stats you got and when you go passed rakata you could start thinking how black hole and campaign pieces can be assembled together to make you the biggest baddest possible.

But even then you really do not have to care unless you want to as long as you are not undergeared compared to your team because bosses will enrage anyway if your gear level is so you have a tanking issue.

So no RDeanOU people do not have to do anything just because you say so. Yes now you pasted a link and well you can be sorry all you want about how true or not things are. Fact is still as I see it that you added nothing here as people who care enough about this have no use for you pasting a link and those who do not rather have an easy guideline which will work.

So giving an answer without caring about the person asking the question and in what detail he wants the answer is pure fail as then you are basically just not helping that person with his problem.

Edited by Dhariq

I really like numbers myself but that has nothing to do with elitism. I just like math that is all.

Regarding this though I think that some people are overworking it. As long as the advice is in general correct as this one surely is why trash it?

Yes you can add more complex and detailed information but it is not like it will matter at all for a new tank. Just use the top tier gear with tanking stats you got and when you go passed rakata you could start thinking how black hole and campaign pieces can be assembled together to make you the biggest baddest possible.

But even then you really do not have to care unless you want to as long as you are not undergeared compared to your team because bosses will enrage anyway if your gear level is so you have a tanking issue.

So no RDeanOU people do not have to do anything just because you say so. Yes now you pasted a link and well you can be sorry all you want about how true or not things are. Fact is still as I see it that you added nothing here as people who care enough about this have no use for you pasting a link and those who do not rather have an easy guideline which will work.

So giving an answer without caring about the person asking the question and in what detail he wants the answer is pure fail as then you are basically just not helping that person with his problem.

So you don't think that linking to theorycrafting that shows us how to optimize our defensive stats is useful in a thread that asks if there is anywhere that we can find stat priorities for different tank classes? Ummmm, okay. I think that's pretty helpful and that's why I posted it. It isn't like it is my work and I am bragging. I was trying to help someone who actually wants the answer to how to prioritize by giving them the tools to find that answer.

I guess I should have just fired off my own arbitrary opinion instead and acted like it was categorically true in every situation. That would have been far more helpful amiright?

Certainly nobody has to do anything just because I say so. Of course, that's a straw man because I never claimed otherwise. I simply said I don't think it's honest to claim that something that is only true some of the time is the final answer.

I don't think it does people favors to oversimplify. I think people are smart and can use the tools. Assuming they want a dumbed down partial answer is doing them a disservice. If they care enough to post a forum thread asking the question I think we in the community ought to actually bother giving them the full answer.

Of course you are right that it isn't vitally important to min/max in this way, but he asked the question....more to the point he asked where he could find the answer implying he was willing to look for information on the subject.

It isn't about elitism. Optimal = optimal.

I don't think you are helping people by simplifying in this way because the right answer isn't simple. People are helped by learning the right answer and by learning that not everything in life (or mmo's) is simple.

Absorb > Defense > shield chance isn't always a true statement for Shadows. Sorry, but it just isn't. It is true sometimes. I think when you make categorical statements that aren't categorically true you owe it to the people listening to be honest about that. You weren't.

Optimal = optimal. Your smug attitude towards my reply purely because i simplified it, IS Elitism

Just because my answer is not your answer doesn't mean it's wrong at all, it just mean it's different. the OP asked what the other 2 class's were like in then his trooper and i answered in the format he was using which was priority order

Just linking a thread with information not everyone can understand and over-complicating it for the hell of it is counter productive, this is after all a game and over complicate everything is not only sucking out of the game it's also making people confused and frustrated

As a shadow tank (which clearly you are not) Absorb is the important stat followed by defense then followed by Shield chance because Shadow tanks get a skill called Kinetic ward which gives us +15% shield chance (+20% with 2set bonus), sure having + shield chance stats on your gear is nice to have but not at expense at the other 2 stats

Yes i agree it depends on what gear you have too which is where common sense comes in so you don't willy-nilly swap gear without considering your overall stats and the stats from the piece you have and the piece your changing it to. Me personally i plan my upgrade pieces several weeks in advance so when a piece drop i know if it's a bigger upgrade to roll now then on the other campaign pieces later on in the raid

Optimal = optimal. Your smug attitude towards my reply purely because i simplified it, IS Elitism

Just because my answer is not your answer doesn't mean it's wrong at all, it just mean it's different. the OP asked what the other 2 class's were like in then his trooper and i answered in the format he was using which was priority order

Just linking a thread with information not everyone can understand and over-complicating it for the hell of it is counter productive, this is after all a game and over complicate everything is not only sucking out of the game it's also making people confused and frustrated

As a shadow tank (which clearly you are not) Absorb is the important stat followed by defense then followed by Shield chance because Shadow tanks get a skill called Kinetic ward which gives us +15% shield chance (+20% with 2set bonus), sure having + shield chance stats on your gear is nice to have but not at expense at the other 2 stats

Yes i agree it depends on what gear you have too which is where common sense comes in so you don't willy-nilly swap gear without considering your overall stats and the stats from the piece you have and the piece your changing it to. Me personally i plan my upgrade pieces several weeks in advance so when a piece drop i know if it's a bigger upgrade to roll now then on the other campaign pieces later on in the raid

Giving someone the full answer isn't elitism and it isn't smug to say that A = A. That's just pure logic.

If the answer I gave is the correct one (and according to the numbers and theorycrafting it is) and your answer is different then your answer is not correct. This again is simple logic. If A = B and C =/= A then C =/= B.

I don't know why so many people on this board get so upset at people linking the theorycrafting and trying to help people understand what is optimal. You say I am overcomplicating things....well I think you are oversimplifying them.

I think people who level a character to 50 and are smart enough to come to this forum looking for answers are intelligent enough to understand some simple graphs and spreadsheets.

Frankly, I think you are basically assuming that people are too stupid to understand this stuff and that makes YOU the elitist. I think people are smart enough to handle the full answers.

Thanks for the clear answer to my Assassin tank stat priorities!

I agree that mmo-mechanics overcomplicate things, sometimes we just want a more clear cut answer for what we should prioritize. I commend mmo-mech for putting in all this work and it's a great resource. But in my opinion it's more useful as a means to calculate that extra 1-5% performance.

Would be nice to get some examples for what ratings you should aim for, say when as a fresh 50 and in full Columi, Rakata and Campaign/Black Hole? Yes, Absorb/Defense/shield in that order, but could it be presented in % rating for each stat? Someone must have crunched the numbers for each class at the different gear levels.. ;)

The main problem with all these spreadsheets are that thy talk about the true numbers and not the percentages. "you should be looking at 1900 defense and 2806.4597 shield and...blah,blah,blah." What is so hard to say after people doing countless hours of studying and math and making equations saying...(example)optimally you want 25% defense and 40% chance with a 45% absorb? I think that is what the OP is talking about.

The next big problem is...there seems to be so much RNG and how the outcome works, that you will be hit(except for the x roll in which you dodge/parry...whatever) Whether it will be a crit, a normal hit, or a shielded hit. There is no "uncrushable" or "uncritable" point in this game.

Baseline: Get the stats you want. You wanna shot for 100% defense, go for it....then you are not gonna get hit at all.