Phantom and Spymaster gear changes

Karaiblis

It is completely reasonable for people to have checked the appearance in the preview window and bought based on that. Since it's not common that gear changes appearance after it's in game, other than minor clipping issues, there's no reason most people would have ever considered checking for such a thing. Your attempt to throw all the blame on the players is ridiculous.

It's completely reasonable to check the Dev Tracker 5 mins during a day and make yourself aware of the known issues which may or may not affect you. In this case they stated a month ago it was wrong and would be fixed to match the promo art which also at that time they stated everything is intended to match the promo art. Not doing so negates any credibility to complain when they fix something that was incorrect to begin with and acknowledged to be.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware releases bugged content.

Group A complains because it's bugged, Bioware puts it into the queue to fix.

Bioware fixes the content and then Group B complains because they liked the bugged version. Group A is happy.

Now, you guys want them to change it back, which would make you happy all the while making group A complain again. In other words, changing it back really isn't an option. It would become a never ending loop.

At this point, Bioware just needs to release a few cheap "painted on" armor skins to appease both groups.

Why not release both A and B and make both groups happy?

It's completely reasonable to check the Dev Tracker 5 mins during a day and make yourself aware of the known issues which may or may not affect you. In this case they stated a month ago it was wrong and would be fixed to match the promo art which also at that time they stated everything is intended to match the promo art. Not doing so negates any credibility to complain when they fix something that was incorrect to begin with and acknowledged to be.

To my knowledge, players are under no obligation to check the dev tracker or ever log into the website. If you can find a statement in the TOS that says that they are, I'd like to see it.

I like the changes. Infact, since the change to the trailblazer's set i bought the whole damn set simply because i felt it added more to the ****** rogue look that the set portrayed.

The phantom set finally looks like it was meant to, when i dropped cash money on the packs to try and get it only to have it not appear as i had been lead to believe.

The spymaster set actually feels like it's there, rather than a flat, boring, uninspiring paint application over my characters nude body, and the helmet looks amazing with it's new HUD eyepiece, and other tech attachments.

The preceptor set has gained the air of ****** that was portrayed in the cartel market, and is now a respectable outfit for a jedi of any persuasion to don and enjoy.

I understand that some of you bought these items for their incorrect and bugged appearances, something that was noted in the dev tracker, which is seperated out of threads so that you can stay informed of bugs and problems as and when they are found. I understand that the changes came as a surprise, as you failed to read the notice informing you of it, both before the patch, and after it was rolled out with the included patch notes presented to you, on the launcher.

I can even understand that you expected these items to never change, as they'd been around for a month, regardless that the terms of service specifically note that all assets and game services are subject to change at the discretion of Electronic Arts and Bioware austin, and that by agreeing to those terms in order to play the game, you wavered your right to any refunds or exchanges in relation to game assets, which you were merely buying access to utilise during your time on Bioware's servers.

IF they change these back, they will cause another uproar of equal proportion from those who waited patiently for the assets to reflect their advertised depictions.

IF they add an exchange service to get the old appearances back for those who are unhappy or feel cheated by the change due to their own refusal to stay informed, it will be a courtesy that they have afforded you out of good will and a wish to maintain a welcoming environment for their customers.

However, neither of these solutions should be expected, demanded, nor are they as a company in any way obligated to do so.

Stop complaining that you dropped hundreds in Cartel packs with no guarantee that you would even get these items in the first place. Stop demanding refunds on your entire cartel coin history, as even if they were liable and compelled to give you a refund, you'd only be eligible for a refund on the packs that the items appeared in.

And for goodness sake... stop threatening to cancel your subscription unless they give in to your demands. You merely look spoilt and self entitled. When buying cartel packs, you were gambling. There was never any guaranteed payoff. You merely paid for the chance to win something.

----

TLDR version: Thank you for fixing the appearance of the equipment, please offer some form of exchange service for the gear to attain the old appearances for those who feel inconvenienced.

Don't be a douche to the devs for doing what they were obligated to do to follow advertising and trading standards laws world over. It's your fault for gambling.

Wow. The most reasonable post in this entire thread.

Brava!!

At the time I wasn't aware that the Phantom Armour was the same as the un-named armour in some of the Cash Shop pictures - I don't make a habit of finding out everything in each and every cartel box. I suppose I'll have to do so in the future (or simply avoid buying anything that comes from the Cash Shop).

I still don't understand why wanting a compromise on the armour design (particularly given that the incorrect Phantom armour design was allowed to exist for so long) makes me such a terrible, awful person, but I guess I'll just have to live with being a terrible, awful person.

The items state they are cartel items in the description.

MAybe if the forums weren't full of petty little trolls like you people would come here more often. Just a thought.

That's uncalled for. They were just saying something that has been mentioned before. No need to get nasty. And they are right. Dev tracker is there for a reason. Use it.

The items state they are cartel items in the description.

So, let me get this straight...just so I'm certain I understand you.

You're on the GTN looking at gear for your toon. Playing dress up. You're flipping through the adaptive gear, checking what it looks like in the preview window. BUT WAIT! It says it's a cartel item! So, according to you, at that point, you must automatically assume that what you see in the preview window is a lie. You must go to the advertisment on the cartel pack and check to make sure it matches there. Cause that make sense?

Riiiiight.

Hey, guys --

We care a lot about the fact that you care about the appearances of your characters. In fact, the Mod system is my baby, largely because it allows players to customize their appearance to your liking. We have another, similar, one of my babies coming in the near future, which will allow even greater customization (you guys may have seen me hinted about it in recent interviews). Short form: this is real important to me, and we're not happy that we've created a situation that makes people unhappy. We didn't think through the ramifications of the bugfix that we've made, and we're acutely aware of the financial angle (cartel coins as well as in-game credits on the GTN) involved.

We are still discussing potential fixes to the issue -- and there will be fixes -- but there are ramifications to all fixes. Players should keep in mind that previously, we had players who were upset in the other direction. We have a couple of directions that we can go, but we need to explore a couple of things, and regardless, it is not a fix that can happen instantaneously. I do think we can get something in a patch very soon.

We are pretty sure we can avoid a solution that forces players to spend additional cartel coins, and I'm not interested in letting a situation linger that leaves the player's faith in what we are offering on the cartel market in a reduced state. It is incredibly important to me, and the rest of the SW:TOR team, that players have a high degree of confidence in the market as a whole, and how we deal with issues like this. This has been a learning experience for us, and won't happen again.

In short: we'll fix this. Give us a little time to do so.

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

Thank you Damion! I do appreciate that you are going to correct this. I REALLY appreciate that you are trying to ensure that it will be something that will not cost us in CC or cr. I will have faith and will hold on to see what happens.

Most importantly,

THANK YOU FOR THE COMMUNICATION!

Just for that, I think I'll go buy some packs. I hope that this is held as an example to all of the other devs.

THIS IS HOW YOU COMMUNICATE TO THE COMMUNITY.

Well done, good sir. Well done.

Thank you again.

P.S. also thanks for the "sell junk" button and other corrections with this update.

Edited by Thylbanus

class balance issues? we'll address that soon

people complaining about the cartel market? ZOMGZ! :eek: RED ALERT! BATTLE STATIONS! WE NEED THEIR CASH!!!

seriously devs. there are countless threads in the PvP forum offering legit constructive criticism and suggestions. there have been like 5 dev posts there in the last year. but a bunch of people get upset when their armor changes appearance, and all of the sudden you are all over it?

lets show some consistency, eh fellas? :rolleyes:

To my knowledge, players are under no obligation to check the dev tracker or ever log into the website. If you can find a statement in the TOS that says that they are, I'd like to see it.

It's your responsibility to because it's Bioware's official form of communication and ignorance isn't an excuse when they make corrections to things they implemented incorrectly to begin with and stated they would then complain about it because you don't like them fixing it so that people who bought the packs based on the advertised art on the pack get what they paid for.

It's your responsibility to because it's Bioware's official form of communication and ignorance isn't an excuse when they make corrections to things they implemented incorrectly to begin with and stated they would then complain about it because you don't like them fixing it so that people who bought the packs based on the advertised art on the pack get what they paid for.

Did they add disclaimers to the artwork, or the armor description, upon noticing? Or did they allow people to still acquire it all with real money?? Right. They did nothing.

Devs said they goofed things up and are planning to fix it. Thus obviating your negating, and relegating it to chuckle fodder. :p

I think you misunderstand me. I get why people are upset who wanted what was advertised. That they got gear that looked different than what was advertised is clearly a mistake and should be fixed. They had a reasonable expectation that what they bought would look like the advertisement.

However, people who picked up the gear based on what it looked like in the preview ALSO had a reasonable expectation that what they bought would look like it did when they bought it.

I am pleased and reassured that BW obviously sees the issue here (even if you don't) and is willing to correct it. That's what a responsible company does.

Did they add disclaimers to the artwork, or the armor description, upon noticing? Or did they allow people to still acquire it all with real money?? Right. They did nothing.

I think they mean that we're supposed to assume that Bioware does everything wrong the first time, then takes ages to correct it.

They did their job and posted it in the Dev tracker. Which is all they are required to do. If you didn't check it, then I agree, that is your fault. Ignorance is not an excuse. Everyone knows that the Dev tracker is the primary source for what they are "supposedly" working on. I say that b/c there are more important things they could be working on instead of gear changes. But the information is there and if people would just read, they would know.

So, let me get this straight...just so I'm certain I understand you.

You're on the GTN looking at gear for your toon. Playing dress up. You're flipping through the adaptive gear, checking what it looks like in the preview window. BUT WAIT! It says it's a cartel item! So, according to you, at that point, you must automatically assume that what you see in the preview window is a lie. You must go to the advertisment on the cartel pack and check to make sure it matches there. Cause that make sense?

Riiiiight.

The Phantom, Preceptor, and Revan art on the cartel pack didn't match the in game art, that was the first indication something was off. Sith inquisitor robe on the pack, some assassin looking art in game, hooded Preceptor robe with shoulders on the promo art, hoodless, no shoulders in game. Saw a post on the forums from someone pointing out that the items didn't match and Bioware (Joveth) confirming to the OP that it was indeed incorrect and should match the art in the promo and that they would fix it. Like many other people who knew it was a bug just waited until they corrected it so that people like myself who bought the packs based on the promo art got what was paid for and kept buying the packs and selling the contents.

I think you misunderstand me. I get why people are upset who wanted what was advertised. That they got gear that looked different than what was advertised is clearly a mistake and should be fixed. They had a reasonable expectation that what they bought would look like the advertisement.

However, people who picked up the gear based on what it looked like in the preview ALSO had a reasonable expectation that what they bought would look like it did when they bought it.

I am pleased and reassured that BW obviously sees the issue here (even if you don't) and is willing to correct it. That's what a responsible company does.

I hope they do. Though as I mentioned in previously, back when Bioware stated it was wrong ( a month ago) and that they would fix it, people should have been asking for Bioware to implement the unintended set as well if people liked it so much. Buying it off the GTN though doesn't really excuse people from knowing that what they are buying is bugged and will be fixed eventually either. Unecessary drama because people chose to not be aware

I hope they do. Though as I mentioned in previously, back when Bioware stated it was wrong ( a month ago) and that they would fix it, people should have been asking for Bioware to implement the unintended set as well if people liked it so much. Buying it off the GTN though doesn't really excuse people from knowing that what they are buying is bugged and will be fixed eventually either. Unecessary drama because people chose to not be aware

I believe people did ask for the unintended set to be implemented. And this ignorance is not an excuse argument is really silly for someone who picked up the gear based off the advertisements. I could easily say that you should have checked Dulfy's site to see the pieces before you bought packs...the information was there, ignorance is not an excuse. I don't think that's true. I think you had a reasonable expectation, but seriously, try putting yourself in the shoes of someone else.

Hey, guys --

We care a lot about the fact that you care about the appearances of your characters. In fact, the Mod system is my baby, largely because it allows players to customize their appearance to your liking. We have another, similar, one of my babies coming in the near future, which will allow even greater customization (you guys may have seen me hinted about it in recent interviews). Short form: this is real important to me, and we're not happy that we've created a situation that makes people unhappy. We didn't think through the ramifications of the bugfix that we've made, and we're acutely aware of the financial angle (cartel coins as well as in-game credits on the GTN) involved.

We are still discussing potential fixes to the issue -- and there will be fixes -- but there are ramifications to all fixes. Players should keep in mind that previously, we had players who were upset in the other direction. We have a couple of directions that we can go, but we need to explore a couple of things, and regardless, it is not a fix that can happen instantaneously. I do think we can get something in a patch very soon.

We are pretty sure we can avoid a solution that forces players to spend additional cartel coins, and I'm not interested in letting a situation linger that leaves the player's faith in what we are offering on the cartel market in a reduced state. It is incredibly important to me, and the rest of the SW:TOR team, that players have a high degree of confidence in the market as a whole, and how we deal with issues like this. This has been a learning experience for us, and won't happen again.

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

Thank you very much for the heads up. I was dreading have to waste millions of credits to refit toons with outlaw gear off the gtn. I tried playing with the new spymaster gear but just can't stand looking at it. Will just level alts until the fix is in.

They did their job and posted it in the Dev tracker. Which is all they are required to do. If you didn't check it, then I agree, that is your fault. Ignorance is not an excuse. Everyone knows that the Dev tracker is the primary source for what they are "supposedly" working on. I say that b/c there are more important things they could be working on instead of gear changes. But the information is there and if people would just read, they would know.

Are you seriously suggesting that it is the customers fault if they buy an item, IN-GAME, that had an appearance window, IN-GAME, that was suddenly changed on them after spending real money on it? Do you HONESTLY think that a quick acknowledgement on a gaming forum covers Biowares **edit** from blatant fraud?

They sold it knowing FULL WELL that it was wrong and that they were going to replace it...I bought it NOT knowing. I bought it based on it's IN-GAME appearance, nothing else. They had financial gains from NOT telling me...and you think it's MY fault for not following Dev tracker enough? That's STUPID! Their obligation was to remove it or mark it as obviously changing...not deceive me.

Hey, guys --

Damion Schubert

Lead Designer, SWTOR

Been at work all day, so couldn't comment earlier, but thanks for this. If you guys are still trying to decide what to do, I think there have been some excellent suggestions already posed in this and several other threads. Looking forward to actually playing the game again...

All right folks, I talked to our developers and got some clarification:

• The Revan outfit was adjusted to look more like Revan’s armor in the game.
  • The Spymaster and the Phantom outfits were both adjusted to look more like their advertised appearance in the Cartel Market, after we received more than a few remarks about this dissimilarity. This is to ensure that customers receive the advertised appearance.
  • The Stylish Dancer Outfit (white) is in the Blockade Runner pack, but it was mistakenly used on the Skip Tracer pack art. The Fancy Reveler Outfit is red and included in the Skip Tracer pack. The artwork for the Skip Tracer pack will be updated to show the appropriate outfit in a future patch.

We apologize for any inconvenience. In the future, we will ensure that all assets are in alignment on the Cartel Market. The final products are meant to look like the advertised art.

We are pretty sure we can avoid a solution that forces players to spend additional cartel coins

BioWare says lol to paying customers. Lovely and really really smart...no really...REALLY. Someone pays you for something they like. You take it away and then basically say, "No here buy it again!" This has to be the most laughable customer service I have seen in MMO history. WTG! I am pretty sure this has to be the single dumbest thing you have done since 1.2.

Edited by Aaoogaa