Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will EA/Bioware axe Swtor on the near future?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Will EA/Bioware axe Swtor on the near future?

MadDutchman
12.10.2019 , 10:59 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
This is still the dumbest reason ever. How do you compete against yourself?...Like...what? They'd make money regardless.
Not necessarily, MMOs need to maintain a critical mass of players in order to maintain the multiplayer-centric activities. By dividing the player base, you risk losing that.

It should also be noted that SWTOR is far more aggressively monetized. It can make more money per player than SWG ever could.
I Have Spoken

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Pirana
12.11.2019 , 04:51 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
Not necessarily, MMOs need to maintain a critical mass of players in order to maintain the multiplayer-centric activities. By dividing the player base, you risk losing that.

It should also be noted that SWTOR is far more aggressively monetized. It can make more money per player than SWG ever could.
The first part I tend to agree with to some degree, although that's debatable. The second part, remember, this game's Cartel Market wasn't released until almost a full year after launch, sometime around when free to play was launched. It might have even been the same update. A smart marketing decision, something they recognized early on. It's also something SWG could have implemented and ultimately would have knowing how SOE works. With all that though, I think it was SWG's time one way or another. The game had been through far too much over the years, notably with the CU and the NGE. Of course looking at the emulator's out there, especially with two of them, SOE would still be pulling in a quite a bit money.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

Ylliarus
12.11.2019 , 05:26 AM | #13
No, they won't axe anything. Onslaught has been quite a success as it brought back a large amount of players and managed to retain them. People have expressed very positive opinions on the expansion (barring the obvious issues with bugs and crafting of course). On top of that, during the last Shareholders meeting EA held they reported that SWTOR had made them over 1 billion dollars in revenue and that they like such businesses and plan to continue them. There is absolutely no reason to believe that SWTOR is going to be axed anytime soon, so quit your doomsaying already. I've been hearing that SWTOR is about to die since the 25th of November 2012 and here we are in 2019, kriffin' seven years later with non-stop useless doomsaying going on, on these forums and the game is still around and doing fine.
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]
SWTOR Player since November 25th, 2012
And here is my referral link!

DarkMatterSlifus
12.11.2019 , 07:16 AM | #14
EA has been tanking big time in terms of quality games, I think they understand they would be foolish idiots to axe swtor right now.

Wolfninjajedi
12.11.2019 , 09:40 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post

I mean I guess, but both games are(or were in SWG case) extremely different both timeline and gameplay mechanic wise. But I guess I see the issue of people trying to support 2 games with a fee each month.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Darkrebellord
12.15.2019 , 10:58 AM | #16
like all business it will eventfully die out and something else will replace it.

that usually happens went customers start seeing the same old things repeating itself they eventfully stop buying its crap or the workers turn off and the company goes down hill from there.