life day items on cartel market insulting.

gabarooni

i do not like this,they should've made an event.

They never said they wouldn't do an event. For all we know they plan on having an event and this is just a marketing plan. In which case it's exactly what I'd have done in their shoes: first sell the items only on the CM for a week or two, let the people with zero patience shell out massive levels of cash to get the items. Then release a world event where you can get the CM items, by then only the people who weren't going to buy the CM items anyway are left. Maximum profit but everyone wins. The key though is not to say anything about a world event because otherwise many people who would have otherwise bought the CM items will just wait for the event to get items for free thus defeating the purpose of earning extra money.

If I were them though I'd make the world event items slightly different reskins (for example a green speeder with lights instead of red etc.). That way the people that must have everything also do the world event and it nets extra cash from preferred status players with this attitude because they now have to buy the event equipment authorization.

And as for the CM prices: I seem to recall many people were saying that the stipend in any MMO is never enough to buy everything in the cash shop for free unless you save up for months on end. Thus the prices shouldn't be a surprise at all, it was stated by many that these sort of prices were exactly what would happen. It's really only a surprise if people thought the devs would design CM prices to be low enough so subs would never have to buy CC to get CM items.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They ARE listening...they're listening to their accountants jaws hitting the floor with the success of these packs.

I wish people would heed your advice...but for whatever reason, people buy buy buy this kinda crap.

I have to admit, I too am really surprised that people buy these in such numbers. I understand the psychology behind it, but it's still amazing to see it in real life.

They ARE listening...they're listening to their accountants jaws hitting the floor with the success of these packs.

I wish people would heed your advice...but for whatever reason, people buy buy buy this kinda crap.

The problem is this won't work till it's too late.

The core gamers will be gone, the gamblers will eventually wake up, but the game will be destroyed by then one way or another.

You're absolutely right though that it is almost certainly the inital F2P cash spluge that has resulted in extortionate Life Day packs and P2W space, unfortunately by the time the fact that this is a very short term thing filters through to the accountants running SWTOR it will be far too late. :(

Edited by Goretzu

Yeah that's certainly a fair enough point of view.

However I think you're fooling yourself if you think that was a design choice, the reason for no event will be that they don't have the development time and/or they think event packs will bring them in more profit in total.

If they through for 1 second having Darth Vader in a santa suit dancing to jingle bells in game would make them more money you'd be seeing that this Christmas. :)

So BW has come out and stated that there will be no "Life Day" event, or is everyone just assuming that there is no event yet that we aren't going to see one?

To agree with the original post you quoted though, I would have been perfectly happy not to have seen any Life Day stuff at all - canon or not, I still have nightmares about watching the crapfest that was the Holiday Special when I was a kid. But since it's there, I'll probably get it - already got my Hobbit tix and still have some spare cash just yearning to be spent on something frivolous.

Seemed to work well enough for GW and the Almight ArenaNet - a lot of the holiday themed stuff in the original's store was only available in the store for similar pricing. I hear they are still doing pretty well. Isn't Free Choice a great thing!!

The problem is this won't work till it's too late.

The core gamers will be gone, the gamblers will eventually wake up, but the game will be destroyed by then one way or another.

You're absolutely right though that it is almost certainly the inital F2P cash spluge that has resulted in extortionate Life Day packs and P2W space, unfortunately by the time the fact that this is a very short term thing filters through to the accountants running SWTOR it will be far too late. :(

Or the flotsam and jetsam will be sloughed off and the game will be left with a core playerbase who enjoy it as it is and continue to support it - kinda like every other MMO out there.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

I'm glad you brought that up, seeing how they apparently nerfed the **** out of WZ XP. Only BW can give us a new WZ and then discourage people from playing it.

Now... that is worthy of discussion. But oddly, and maybe because of threads like this, I'm not that bothered by it. Maybe... it's part of the master plan. A Jedi mindtrick if you will.

They never said they wouldn't do an event. For all we know they plan on having an event and this is just a marketing plan. In which case it's exactly what I'd have done in their shoes: first sell the items only on the CM for a week or two, let the people with zero patience shell out massive levels of cash to get the items. Then release a world event where you can get the CM items, by then only the people who weren't going to buy the CM items anyway are left. Maximum profit but everyone wins. The key though is not to say anything about a world event because otherwise many people who would have otherwise bought the CM items will just wait for the event to get items for free thus defeating the purpose of earning extra money.

If I were them though I'd make the world event items slightly different reskins (for example a green speeder with lights instead of red etc.). That way the people that must have everything also do the world event and it nets extra cash from preferred status players with this attitude because they now have to buy the event equipment authorization.

I can't imagine Bioware EA is suddenly going to go:

"Surprise! Remember all those items you paid a fortune for last week? Well this week for the low price of just 3000CC you can by the Life Day Event and get all the items you want for all your characters! Merry Life Day!"

I suspect the internet iself might melt.

And as for the CM prices: I seem to recall many people were saying that the stipend in any MMO is never enough to buy everything in the cash shop for free unless you save up for months on end. Thus the prices shouldn't be a surprise at all, it was stated by many that these sort of prices were exactly what would happen. It's really only a surprise if people thought the devs would design CM prices to be low enough so subs would never have to buy CC to get CM items.

You CANNOT "save up" for the Life Day Pack they are "limited time" only, and given that it would take a 6 monthly subsciber 4 months to save up enough coins, unless that "limited time" means until next Christmas it's just impossible.

For those that are still holding hope for an event, I wish you were right, but I sadly think you aren't. It's only two weeks until Christmas, and during the last live chat they said after 1.6 they really wanted to take it easy for a few weeks since they didn't get to celebrate christmas in their personal lives last year because they were launching the game.

So BW has come out and stated that there will be no "Life Day" event, or is everyone just assuming that there is no event yet that we aren't going to see one?

To agree with the original post you quoted though, I would have been perfectly happy not to have seen any Life Day stuff at all - canon or not, I still have nightmares about watching the crapfest that was the Holiday Special when I was a kid. But since it's there, I'll probably get it - already got my Hobbit tix and still have some spare cash just yearning to be spent on something frivolous.

In the spirit of SWTOR gambling boxes I bet you 3000CC there won't be any event, what odds do you give me? :)

Or the flotsam and jetsam will be sloughed off and the game will be left with a core playerbase who enjoy it as it is and continue to support it - kinda like every other MMO out there.

BJ

That's not how Freemium works, without the "whales" the whole model collapses under it own weight, and if they have less then 500,000 subs left by that point the game at best goes into Zombie-mode, and at worst is closed.

What did you do with all the free Cartel coins given to you at the start (provided you had subbed for a number of months prior)?

bought legacy perks to level my lowbie. i have 140 left... didnt buy any packs or armor sets... already bought the boots and upgrades for 4.5 mil before CC store. I bought cargo and inventory unlocks.

I'm ticked there was no Christmas/Life Day event as well. They could of done something fun and festive. I would of liked to of seen Life Day trees and decorations through the fleets and on other planets, in their major cities. Instead it's a few items in a cash shop.... Ugh, come on Bioware.

Just had a funny thought.

i can see them showing their stock holders all this awesome traffic on their forums, dressing it like it is a good thing. Not showing them that it is mostly negetic outrage and mostly just more of people having that last straw to unsub.

OK back to the point of the thread....

They dangle out something people will want at a price they can't quite afford.

I'm curious that if someone opened a BMW dealer on the road you drive to and from work....

Would you stop and complain that they are "dangling a car at you" that you can't afford?

You know, there are people that "can" afford said things... and these are who the target customer is.

Sorry, but you can demand they give you a BMW all you want... But just because you drive by their dealer, doesn't entitle you to one. :D

I'm curious that if someone opened a BMW dealer on the road you drive to and from work....

Would you stop and complain that they are "dangling a car at you" that you can't afford?

You know, there are people that "can" afford said things... and these are who the target customer is.

Sorry, but you can demand they give you a BMW all you want... But just because you drive by their dealer, doesn't entitle you to one. :D

No but if the BMW dealer said you had to buy the steering wheel, back window sheild, and the 4th tire seperate, you would prob not buy their car.

In the MMO world, F2P games just dont usually do what BIOWARE is doing with their F2P game, so it does warrent some distrust and anger when you play and pay for a game.

It is just shocking a holiday event would only be on the CC market and nothing is just an in game event. I cannot remember any F2P MMO that has holiday events doing nothing for free.

In the spirit of SWTOR gambling boxes I bet you 3000CC there won't be any event, what odds do you give me? :)

None. I generally don't gamble and take a wait and see approach to things. Personally, I don't care either way - it does not have a bearing on what I will buy in the store or affect my enjoyment of the game if they have an event or not.

That's not how Freemium works, without the "whales" the whole model collapses under it own weight, and if they have less then 500,000 subs left by that point the game at best goes into Zombie-mode, and at worst is closed.

Supposition is just that. We can also surmise that the core playerbase that remains are filled with enough whales to not make total number of subs matter. In the end, whether the game is in maintenance mode or not may not bother the core playerbase. GW1 has been that way for 3-4 years now.

No but if the BMW dealer said you had to buy the steering wheel, back window sheild, and the 4th tire seperate, you would prob not buy their car.

In the MMO world, F2P games just dont usually do what BIOWARE is doing with their F2P game, so it does warrent some distrust and anger when you play and pay for a game.

It is just shocking a holiday event would only be on the CC market and nothing is just an in game event. I cannot remember any F2P MMO that has holiday events doing nothing for free.

You are correct. In fact, many F2P games gate content that you must pay for to experience outside of a typical expansion. Fortunately, SWTOR gives us the meat of the content for free.

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

No event , and for some reason they are exited ?

Hey folks!

While we're definitely excited about the new Life Day items in the Cartel Market, I wanted to make sure that you all knew that we do not have an in-game event planned for this. However, this doesn't mean that we don't have any in-game events planned for the future! We'll have more information for you sometime after the holidays.

Thank you!

Edited by Lord_Karsk

To many people Star Wars Galaxies did succeed. I hated it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't successful. I think SOE and LucasArts made some money. Likewise, I like SWTOR and I think SWTOR has or eventually will return its investment and then some to EA and LucasArts.

SWG started to die with the CU and lingered through the NGE all the hardcore SWG players left with the CU. I can speak for Intrepid Server. That was cut to the quick and noone was left that was part of the vibrant community that was Intrepid. Many went to WoW and others went to CoH with some to EVE. SWG was never the same post CU.

If we sole base success on revenue, then sure $oE and LArt$ got their pound of flesh. EA is trying to do the same. SWG and SWTOR are proof that all you have to so is slap the Star Wars™ label on an MMORPG and it will generate some revenue and at least break even if not generate some level of profit. The game can doesn't have to be any good (e.g. SWTOR and arguably SWG) and it will be caried by the Star Wars™ label.

The game doesn't have to be WoW. WoW is a very successful game and very well done. But the failure to be WoW isn't a failure. The failure to earn your expected ROI is a failure. I suspect SWTOR might have failed in that regard, but that's irrelevant to me as I don't own EA stock. :jawa_biggrin:

My comment regarding WoW was that currently it is the MMORPG to beat. A game doesn't have to function like WoW to beat WoW. Nothing has come as close in popularity (at least in NA and EU). I agree with the sentiment that WoW was right place right time but, that can be said for anything with popular staying power. SWTOR is far to similar to WoW to think that EA and BW didn't have it in mind when they copied er designed SWTOR. We know for a fact that they were sour on the idea of Freemium in the beginning. Now we see a "flip flop" because SWTOR is a "flop". They may have had the treasure but, they didn't have the talent to pull of their vision. If they did have the talent then it was greatly fettered by EAs greed (rush the game out at Christmas; it's finished ... enough). EA got their ROI now it's after more for providing far less than any AAA MMORPG worth its salt. Maybe smart for buisness if you are short term minded (which EA demostratively is ) and can lean on a bunch of ther properties as balm and salve for any failures (e.g. SWTOR). :cool: