Command Levels?

CprlKlinger

so with 6.0 command becomes Renown. That's fine, well, and good, but what happens with command levels? I, like most others, have maxed out command. Are we losing that and having to do renown all over?

From what's been said I assumned you'd keep the 300 level, but start increasing it from there, till you reach 999, (Could be wrong though...lol)

so with 6.0 command becomes Renown. That's fine, well, and good, but what happens with command levels? I, like most others, have maxed out command. Are we losing that and having to do renown all over?

I THINK it gets zeroed out. They then will have "seasons" or something and those with the highest level of renown will... get something? A title? I don't know, but the renown will get reset every season.

Which should still be fine because your crates won't "reward" you based on your Renown Level, but rather on the level of your gear (I'm presuming the gear that you are wearing). So it won't matter what your Renown Level is as far as gearing. That will be some other kind of tabulation and will reset after a certain amount of time.

Last statement was that Command was being killed and replaced with renown. It won't transfer but simply be archived. People will keep their achievements but they won't be obtainable any longer. Is one of the reasons for the extended double exp event I believe, to allow people to grind up the tiers should they want. If I recall correctly the command boosts would be turned into renown boost but they advised there was no purpose in holding onto crates as they would not suddenly turn into renown crates. That was their original intent, not sure if anything has changed lately.

Experience points of any kind should never be taken away. It's really hard to fathom a game company doing so.

Therefore, I have to believe they will transfer over to the new system.

But, given that legacy XP has been ignored for years my expectations are very low.

They don't take away experience points, or rewards/abilities for that matter, but simply switch to a new seasonal approach for renown levels in exchange for gear drops based on class spec and item rating. No need to cling to arbitrary level numbers if the tier mechanic feeding it will be gone.

From what's been said I assumned you'd keep the 300 level, but start increasing it from there, till you reach 999, (Could be wrong though...lol)

I don't remember Eric or Charles mentioned an upper level on RC. i think you can go as many as you like, but i do remember them saying that you can go as far as you like as a sort of brag about it if nothing else. With RC on the way and this double xp/cxp event coming to a close, any last chance for GC tier completion for legacies is also coming to a close as well because at that point it will be put into archived and can't be improved on any more.

I'm certain that you'll start from the beginning again, but there is no tiers to worry about, any gear you get will be based off what you currently have and get the next best option with the rare chance of a top end piece that you'd find in operations with no more limitations in play aside from RNG.

They don't take away experience points, or rewards/abilities for that matter, but simply switch to a new seasonal approach for renown levels in exchange for gear drops based on class spec and item rating. No need to cling to arbitrary level numbers if the tier mechanic feeding it will be gone.

RPG progression is based on clinging to arbitrary numbers.

Seriously

RPG progression is based on clinging to arbitrary numbers.

Seriously

Since with the release of the expansion the renown rank levels will reset each season and will be infinite without a max rank limit, it apparently is not. You can cling to your renown rank all you want, it will be gone at the end of the season.

Honestly.

Edited by Phazonfreak

With renown level 1 providing the same rewards as 999, there is actually no point in increasing that arbitrary number anymore. I'm more curious about what happens at 999, no more extra rewards or just repeating 999 over and over? If 999 is the end, then directly translating our CR 300 to renown 300 would be a penalty for the first "season".

Anyway, command rank 300 is nothing to brag about. Max valor or social tells me that this is a main of a player seasoned in content where their knowledge of their class and role can affect my gaming experience. Max command rank tells me that they spent a month or two doing stuff at level 70.

Edited by Mubrak

With renown level 1 providing the same rewards as 999, there is actually no point in increasing that arbitrary number anymore. I'm more curious about what happens at 999, no more extra rewards or just repeating 999 over and over? If 999 is the end, then directly translating our CR 300 to renown 300 would be a penalty for the first "season".

Anyway, command rank 300 is nothing to brag about. Max valor or social tells me that this is a main of a player seasoned in content where their knowledge of their class and role can affect my gaming experience. Max command rank tells me that they spent a month or two doing stuff at level 70.

Valor is meaningless unless you pvp, it doesn't say wether you play your class in PVE well or not. Also you can get a high valor rating in pvp, doesn't mean you are good at it, or even do it properly, just means you play a lot ;)

Same goes for social, you could just run BT a lot with equally bad players on easy mode, and still bulld up social points.

I don't remember Eric or Charles mentioned an upper level on RC. i think you can go as many as you like, but i do remember them saying that you can go as far as you like as a sort of brag about it if nothing else. With RC on the way and this double xp/cxp event coming to a close, any last chance for GC tier completion for legacies is also coming to a close as well because at that point it will be put into archived and can't be improved on any more.

I'm certain that you'll start from the beginning again, but there is no tiers to worry about, any gear you get will be based off what you currently have and get the next best option with the rare chance of a top end piece that you'd find in operations with no more limitations in play aside from RNG.

The.999 upper limit comes from unmentionable sources.

I agree: we're about to lose our cxp levels. And future cxp levels will be completely meaningless as far as I can tell. 20+ of my.characters @300 are about to be 0 because of... "haha, fun!"

Edited by Savej

The.999 upper limit comes from unmentionable sources.

I agree: we're about to lose our cxp levels. And future cxp levels will be completely meaningless as far as I can tell. 20+ of my.characters @300 are about to be 0 because of... "haha, fun!"

They won't be completely meaningless because you will get certain rewards for reaching a specific renown rank goal during a season.

Apart from that I don't really understand the complaint about resetting ranks, except of this futile clinging to arbitrary numbers. They don't take away your character level or any of the gear/abilities you have acquired. The renown mechanic will finally transform the command system to an endgame supplementary progression system that it should have been at the very beginning of its inception, instead of the main progression channel that devalues direct content rewards. It will actually benefit all of your alts that still have a low command rank with the current system and don't need to climb the tier ladder anymore to get rating appropriate gear with the new system.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I think the problem lies in the assumption behind the first sentence. It's more accurate to say that Command will be replaced by Renown, and certain Command-related objects will be replaced by Renown-related equivalents.

If you interpret the situation like that, it becomes reasonably clear that all that happens is that your Command rank is frozen, and you begin at Renown rank 0 when you reach level 75 in the same way that today you begin at Command rank 0 when you reach level 70.

Nothing is taken away. You begin a new thing that didn't exist before at its beginning, and the old thing that doesn't apply any more is frozen.

Well, that's how I'm going to interpret it, anyway.

I think the problem lies in the assumption behind the first sentence. It's more accurate to say that Command will be replaced by Renown, and certain Command-related objects will be replaced by Renown-related equivalents.

If you interpret the situation like that, it becomes reasonably clear that all that happens is that your Command rank is frozen, and you begin at Renown rank 0 when you reach level 75 in the same way that today you begin at Command rank 0 when you reach level 70.

Nothing is taken away. You begin a new thing that didn't exist before at its beginning, and the old thing that doesn't apply any more is frozen.

Well, that's how I'm going to interpret it, anyway.

You're free to have that opinion of course, but slapping a different name on it doesn't change what's really happening.

It's the same as when they took away our crafting bonuses on comps that we already had maxed affection at and put them at level 50. We all started at level 10 (woot!) and had to grind another 40 levels for no good reason than just because.

I hate it when MMOs take away stats you already have and attempt to sell them back to you via a "new and improved" system. At least SWTOR doesn't do this in a P2W format, however, like some MMOs.

You're free to have that opinion of course, but slapping a different name on it doesn't change what's really happening.

It's the same as when they took away our crafting bonuses on comps that we already had maxed affection at and put them at level 50. We all started at level 10 (woot!) and had to grind another 40 levels for no good reason than just because.

I hate it when MMOs take away stats you already have and attempt to sell them back to you via a "new and improved" system. At least SWTOR doesn't do this in a P2W format, however, like some MMOs.

This is completely different than the crafting bonus change. Renown is POST command rank. Like 75 will be post 70. Renown is also legacy wide if I am not mistaken. So it isn’t like getting 10 toons to command 300. It is getting your legacy to renown 999+ per season.

Now......if renown is character based not legacy wide.....then I 100% agree with you.

To be sure, it doesn't change what's really happening, *but* that doesn't mean that my analysis is *wrong*, just that it's different from yours. That said, it doesn't meant that I'm right, either. It's *all* a matter of opinion.

But I've long since had my doubts about the wisdom of the GC system, as I noted in November of last year:

What concerns me isn't, in the initial analysis, the difficulty or inconvenience associated with getting T5 gear, but what they propose that the next step will be, and here we touch on the real problem with the Command Rank system - how do you raise the level cap once Command ranks are in place? In essence, they've taken a gear progression ladder game and removed the wall that the ladder leans against. (That wall is "we can always raise the level cap and add a new gear tier/system at the new cap". It isn't there any more.)

Note that, as hinted in the quoted text, my doubts aren't about the *details* of GC, but about the whole concept at the level of the broadest of broad strokes. As I noted, the wall that the gear progression ladder leans against has been removed, but it appears that they've decided to extend the ladder anyway.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether you say that Command rank "is replaced by" or "becomes" Renown rank, nor whether the existing rank number is transferred/kept or discarded. (There are reasons to advocate discarding it, by the way.(1)) The thing that matters is that existing characters who have already reached a high Command Rank(2) are at an advantage in the early days of the new content compared to characters who reach level 70 minutes before the servers go down for the 6.0 patch, and, subject to some caveats about how Renown crates give gear(3), they will retain that advantage for some time afterwards.

(1) Most significantly linked to how easy it will be to reach RR 999 before the end-of-season Renown reset, and what happens when you get there. (Do you really want to find that you went from 300 to 999 and then got stuck for six months waiting for the first reset, while your friend who was only CR1 before got to gain another 299 RRs that you couldn't?) This line of reasoning suggests strongly that RR999 will behave like CR300, and keep giving more crates anyway.

(2) Regardless of how they got there. That could be because they ground out CZ and Yavin dailies every week with some Coruscant dailies and trips through a basic FP to round it out, or it could be because they cranked on MM ops every day, the problem remains the same.

(3) If you are at IR 230, do you get a bit better than 230 from RR crates or do you get the bottom of the new tier?

Here are some links referencing the underlined portion of your post.

Under Supplementary Systems.

Under Galactic Command and Conquests.

At the

of the Livestream.