2nd tier speeder question

JerForceOne

It looks like you can get a new speeder at Lvl 40. Is there a cost to leveling up to the 2nd speeder? I'm talking about the power, not the speeder itself (which I can see is 25k).

I messed up at 25. Even though it warns you to start saving for a speeder when you hit 20, i thought because I got one with the pre-order i wouldn't have too. Then I found out it costs 40k to purchase the power. So I want to make sure I have the credits if there's a price for speeder rank 2 or whatever.

Edited by JerForceOne

• 2 weeks later...

Purchasing the Rank 2 speeder skill (and speeder) is, in my opinion, a dumb move. You get +10% base speed for 210K + 25k for the speeder? That makes no sense. It's called a "speeder" and it isn't actually very fast. I think the rank 1 speeder is fast enough perhaps for its purpose, but the rank 2 and rank 3 speeders should get noticably faster - say an additional +50%. In my humble opinion, the rank 3 speeder should be on par with City of Heroes superspeed (for example) or in metric terms, perhaps +200% of your base speed.

The aesthetic problem is that a speeder doesn't look like a speeder - kinetically it drives and feels like a snail. Especially you notice this from 3rd person, watching soeone else drive by - it looks ridiculous, like its moving far too slow for what it is supposed to be.

So, I haven't seen anything on this, but I'm sure a lot of people have a similar observation. If anyone knows of a thread about this topic, I would certainly like to hear other people's opinions as well as any stated plans to revise this speed. At this point, I won't be buying rank 2 or higher with any of my toons - I would rather put the credits into crew skills / crafting.

And speeder physics could use some help - they should drift to a halt.

Speeder rank 2 and 3 offer way more protection when moving around. When I'm on illum with my rank 3 speeder I can mostly just drive over mobs and not get knocked off. The extra protection above rank 1 (dismount after 1 hit) is well worth the cost.

Speeders used to scale with rank in beta, it appears they do not do so now (at least the STAP doesnt).

The benefit beyond speed is that higher tier speeder ranks are harder to destroy. So if an enemy agro's it may not actually knock you off if you keep going. On my level 50 training speeder I took about an inch of my health bar in damage and still wasnt knocked off the speeder.

Purchasing the Rank 2 speeder skill (and speeder) is, in my opinion, a dumb move. You get +10% base speed for 210K + 25k for the speeder? That makes no sense. It's called a "speeder" and it isn't actually very fast. I think the rank 1 speeder is fast enough perhaps for its purpose, but the rank 2 and rank 3 speeders should get noticably faster - say an additional +50%. In my humble opinion, the rank 3 speeder should be on par with City of Heroes superspeed (for example) or in metric terms, perhaps +200% of your base speed.

The aesthetic problem is that a speeder doesn't look like a speeder - kinetically it drives and feels like a snail. Especially you notice this from 3rd person, watching soeone else drive by - it looks ridiculous, like its moving far too slow for what it is supposed to be.

So, I haven't seen anything on this, but I'm sure a lot of people have a similar observation. If anyone knows of a thread about this topic, I would certainly like to hear other people's opinions as well as any stated plans to revise this speed. At this point, I won't be buying rank 2 or higher with any of my toons - I would rather put the credits into crew skills / crafting.

And speeder physics could use some help - they should drift to a halt.

I agree, I mean I am saving up $... Cause I do like to go faster but from my understanding it's only 10% faster...and then another 10% for rank 3, I hate to compare because they are different games, but in WoW from when I played it the mounts all had varied speeds by at least 40% each time and were substantial difference in the speed. (40 or 60 at the first then 100, then 200, and who knows now [haven't played in yrs]). I don't see that amount of credits (210,000) being worth it. If someone disagrees, I'm curious because to me as well as other the speed increase seems miniscule for the price.

That's a great point, and something I didn't know - and a feature for which I would be more inclined to pay. But, I still think the speed rates need to be raised, for practical reasons as well as aesthetic reasons. The price increase may be justified via the increased protection factor - and that certainly matters - but the benefit would be vehemently supported by the player base if the actual rate at which you could traverse distances was also notably higher.

And secondarily, the physics could definitely use some TLC. Right now its plastic - very linear physics algorithms. Some quadratic drift on stops would do wonders for the feel.

And to any reader, I'm not being critical of the game overall - I love this game!

To those complaining about them: just don't buy 'em. They are not required. I think the minor increase in speed is BECAUSE they are so expensive. They are luxury items. The initial speeder is a requirements because it's such a huge boost. And it's quite affordable. The rank 2 and 3 versions are not required. They are nice, but you don't have to buy them.

So if the cost doesn't seem worth it, just don't buy it. If it was a massive increase in speed, they would be considered mandatory and everyone would complain that they are too expensive.

Also, with regard to drift on stopping: no. It may not look accurate, but you need to be able to stop when you stop. I don't want to go over the edge of a cliff because you thought it would look cool to drift to a stop. The physics aren't perfect, it's a game. Better to have accuracy and precision than flashy graphics that make it feel like i'm running on ice.

The cost of the level 40 speeder upgrade is in line with the cost of the 25. It 'hurts' about the same at both levels since you make credits so much faster at 40. (same with 50 for that matter)

The speed difference could be more substantial for sure. I think the level 50 speeder should go at least 40 to 50% of the speed of the ground speeder taxis.

I would also like to see a speeder speed increase, but at 50, doing dailies, I end up getting about 150k+ a day from drops/quests (haven't done any FP yet, still waiting for a 4th guildmate to hit 50 :confused: )

I did run into a problem last night, where I aggroed a guy while on my speeder and didn't get far enough away before jumping off it. I was quite surprised when I was in combat and another group aggroed as well :o

All in all, I think the cost while leveling is prohibitive, but at max level it is very easy to afford.

I wouldn't mind a speed boost on the 40 and 50 speeders. But I had enough for my 40 speeder and skill at around level 35 with my crew skills "at level" and all my skills bought. Credits come so easy that the speeder skill and speeders are affordable when you reach the level if you are doing all the quests and throwing in some daily space missions.

I am pretty sure I will buy the level 50 skill too since I am really enjoying the dismount protection of the level 40 skill.

Aside from the added protection, what else are you going to spend your credits on?

I'm level 45 and if I hadn't purchased my rank 2 speeder I'd have cracked 1mil credits by now. Until people start producing level 50 epics in vast numbers, not sure what reason you'd have for saving your credits.

10% faster travelling is 10% less time spent doing nothing, so in my mind it's absolutely worth it

10% faster travelling is 10% less time spent doing nothing, so in my mind it's absolutely worth it

Except it's not 10% less time spent traveling. It's 10% base speed improvement, putting you at 200% speed total. Compared to the 190% you're already moving at with the first speeder, it's only ~5% faster than you would have been moving if you had just stuck with rank 1.

I'm with the OP on this. The additional protection is nice, but the speed difference is pathetic.