Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I hate all the Consular Companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
I hate all the Consular Companions

GavinPatterson
01.18.2012 , 12:34 AM | #21
after i got them all i kinda felt down. For the first thirty levels we only get three people then its bame zenith, bame the Lt then bame Nadia. I felt the Lt what's his face was kinda tossed aside. after talking to him i kinda wanted to toss him anyway.
but what about the later levels...
Spoiler

I thought we were going to have choice as to who we could have on our ship....i kinda wanted the Jawa after i found out about him but will not play empire. I kinda wanted a say as too what builds they would be too...i kinda wished nadia would be a tank or healer - damn as a sage four out of six skill tree options are damage.
Barsen'thor; Jedi Master, Council member, mender of the rift and master of hidden knowledge

Djehuti
01.18.2012 , 01:01 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by meancraig View Post
Personality-wise, he was a bit of a jerk. He never liked my light side choices unless they were about killing things for scores,and he was basically a braggart. I couldn`t stand how he kept judging people for being weak, when he couldn't do much of anything solo without me there to save his skin. I just found this a bit too 2-dimensional for character development when what he went through on Typhon should have taught him some compassion for others.
Well on the plus side you can always have a dark side hot flash and turn him into a great set of boots

Jairec
01.18.2012 , 08:51 AM | #23
I'm very disappointed with the companions so far.

I find Qyzen's mechanical quirks (delays, always in the way, EMP burst) unbearably frustrating, but as a seer I feel stuck with him. I also don't care for his personality whatsoever. I had hope when he first joined, maybe his Tython experience would humble him. Instead I lose affection points left and right every time I help, attempt diplomacy with, or forgive someone. It may be only a -1 at a time, but it is *annoying.* Did they really think I'd be okay with Wookie hunting? Qyzen's a monster.

Tharan, I really wanted to like, but I can't. At least when Qyzen gibbers things incessantly I can't understand them. I imagine this will be an ongoing issue with any companion that speaks basic, but I just want them to shut up. He does have a creepy Lothario thing going, yet between his fey voice and rainbow scarf, I think he's overcompensating. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's a glass closet, Mary, we can *see* you in there.

Holiday makes me really uncomfortable. I realize they were probably playing to target demographic, but I hate how most females in this game seem to be designed as compliant, adolescent fantasy moe spank fodder. It's gross.

That's as far as I've gotten, so far, but I have little hope for the future. I love my consular, I despise my companions. I'd throw every single one of them out of the airlock for my friend's T7. I wish we could design our own companions or at least respec the ones we find least annoying to suit our needs.

eldelphia
01.18.2012 , 10:04 AM | #24
I love my lizard. He's a straightforward chap and doesn't annoy me with his incessant chatter. He's also incredibly overprotective of my healer-spec'd sage. I agree utterly on Theran, I can't stand his creepiness. My duo-buddy uses him a lot (works well with a Shadow) and I use Qyzen or very recently, Zenith. Zenith I like and at 37, haven't yet met the romanceable option.

Zenith hits like a truck right now which is useful with duoing with my Shadow friend but solo, Qyzen works better for me.

Please can I airlock C2?

Anyway, I have a Scoundrel and <3 Corso, so I'm happy enough there!

instantdeath
01.18.2012 , 10:23 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by meancraig View Post
You can only romance one companion choice per gender. For female toons, it's Iresso and for male toons, it's Nadia.

You're right, about her student status, however I imagine subservience in a padawan is more sith-y than jedi-y which seem to be more mentors than literal masters.
I'm not sure how it is for Consular, since I haven't played it yet, but I believe some classes have multiple choices for love interests. The male Sith Warrior, for instance, has two choices, as does the female bounty hunter.

CedrionKatar
01.18.2012 , 11:43 AM | #26
I have found Tharan and Qyzen annoying in conversations. I haven't used Zenith that much, but he seems to another pain if you are going to play a light sided "proper" Jedi. I've stuck with using Qyzen because I am healer specced and need him in most situations. So I have to cope with one guy who hates not killing defeat opponents, one who hates jedi mysticism, and one who hates giving people a second chance, that pretty much covers every lightside conversation option the game throws up.

I've been playing a Trooper alt as well and the first 3 companions are so easy to gain affection with. Anytime I am on the ship talking to Garza you can easily get 20-30 points with all of them with a single conversation option, just act like a good soldier and they love you. You also have a much better selection of options for companions much earlier in the game.

DarthOvertone
01.18.2012 , 11:54 AM | #27
Not a big fan of any of the JC Companions. Neither one of them really seem to fit my Shadow. I rotate between using Tharan and Nadia. Tharan is good for heals in challenging PvE encounters, but not great. However, gearing him up is a pain in the azz. The Holiday stun/interrupt is nice though. I actually would prefer just to have Holiday as a healer. lol

Nadia is pretty good for just straight DPS. She shines against trash mobs and in OPvP showdowns against other companions. She is also very easy to gear up because I just give her my Shadow's old stuff.

So I do a rotation of Tharan and Nadia, mainly for practical purposes. Neither really floats my boat much. Nadia would have been perfect as a Healing Sage, but oh well.

The other companions are just good for running missions.
Alphanoob, Alpha-zen (among others) - Garbage S1 Champion
Ebon Hawk | Harbinger
SWTOR 4.3: It was good while it lasted. Thanks BW

Erian
01.18.2012 , 02:06 PM | #28
I only have Qyzen and Tharan so far, and am of two minds about both. Certainly one annoyance is that companion recruitment feels very slow.

As others have said, Qyzen is still too "monstrous" in attitude to make a good companion for a Jedi, IMO. I do like him more than I expect I would, but every now and then he'll drop a nasty bombshell, and that's beside various -1 penalties for proper Jedi behavior. I agree that he'd work better if Master Yuon's friendship (which he clearly values, including her kindness) and his experiences on Tython would have made him less slaughter-happy. I want to like him and trust him, but it's not easy.

Plus, his model is just crappy, easily one of the worst in the game that I've seen so far. It looks like a very cheap plastic toy, not a living being. And you can't even customize him.

Tharan ... I like his voice and his "geekiness", but why the hell is he travelling with a Jedi when each mention of the Force gives him a minor fit? News flash, buddy: the Force is bloody well what my character is all about! You'd think he would have figured that out, him being a "genius" and having worked with Jedi before, and stayed away if it bugs him so much. Also, I can't figure out what makes him approve or disapprove of my choices. Sometimes he'll get grumpy if I offer to help people at my own risk, sometimes he loves it.

And then there's Holiday. Ugh. She could've been interesting in various ways, but making her a bubblegum-pink, vapid, fawning cheerleader ruins that from the get-go. And the way Tharan uses her for CC pisses me off every time.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jairec View Post
Holiday makes me really uncomfortable. I realize they were probably playing to target demographic, but I hate how most females in this game seem to be designed as compliant, adolescent fantasy moe spank fodder. It's gross.
This. How about a more mature female companion instead of the semi-adolescents? How about a more "monstrous" alien instead of only cutesy humans and cutesy humans-in-funny-suits? How about a woman who isn't "available" to the hetero guys?

More diversity please, and more equality in numbers of male and female companions. Bioware limiting themselves exclusively to young, cutesy, f*ckable girls is a shame. It's like they're thinking okay, we have created all the real companions (who "just happen" to be all-male), now let's make the hero's token trophy girlfriend.
"Beware of the blindness of those who would follow,
and the damnable lure of those who would lead."
- Tamoko, Baldur's Gate

meancraig
01.18.2012 , 03:09 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Erian View Post
This. How about a more mature female companion instead of the semi-adolescents? How about a more "monstrous" alien instead of only cutesy humans and cutesy humans-in-funny-suits? How about a woman who isn't "available" to the hetero guys?

More diversity please, and more equality in numbers of male and female companions. Bioware limiting themselves exclusively to young, cutesy, f*ckable girls is a shame. It's like they're thinking okay, we have created all the real companions (who "just happen" to be all-male), now let's make the hero's token trophy girlfriend.
Exactly. I really felt that Nadia and Holiday were not exactly examples of healthy independent women or quite frankly, your average 21st century adult female. I suppose that wouldn't be a big deal IF there WAS an opposing dynamic. Why not have Holiday and then an independent (not angry), just competent female character? And the same goes with the gender stereotypes for the male companions. Why are they either angry (Zenith), needy (Iresso), or animalistic (Qyzen)? It is completely acceptable to the SWTOR audience to have 3-D companions who are adults.

I never expected so much agreement, and from the sounds of it, many of you dislike our companions more than I do. I am really hopeful that whenever the expansion comes out, our next companion will have more adult characteristics and a different romanceable option. These guys just don't cut it.
EVELLIN, Guild Leader of Siege Soldiers
A Republic Guild on Jedi Covenant

Keta
01.18.2012 , 03:14 PM | #30
I play a balance tree shadow and I really have to agree with the op. They all pretty much suck. I can't stand Theran. he seems to have a penchant for healing me only when I'm out of combat (and yes he's in medic mode). The trooper can't tank worth beans, Zenith can't kill fast enough to make up for the lack of tanking, so that leaves me with Qyzen and Nadia. I run with one of those unless I have reason to think I'll actually get healed by Theran (hope springs eternal). Oh and yes, all the story lines are fairly anemic.