Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lightning sorcerer

LordGhoried
08.12.2019 , 12:37 PM | #1
I know this has been addressed already, but... are they kidding?! Lightning is crap, and it should be a dps spec, but instead it's the worst speck in term of damage output. I play since 2012, and I think Bioware does a good job, but if Sorcerer is only viable as a healer, I will go play another mmo. And there is a guy who is saying that Lightning is still the best dps speck for operations, but I think he drinks too much coffee or something. So, after my childish complain I would like to know, if they plan on putting back lightning to a decent level. And I am not only speaking for myself here, think about all these new players forced to change class after hitting 70, because they found out that this speck is sooooo bad. Bioware, you are my favorite gaming company, do something please, and I would appreciate a feedback on what is planned in a near future for this class, because it is my favorite class and I am certain that I am not the only one. And don't tell me to play Merc, cause I hate these truck drivers, they are lacking in style, and I hate to be forced to play flavor of the year class.

zorngodofall
08.12.2019 , 05:43 PM | #2
If you're talking about lighting dps as something for an operation, it's by far NOT the worst. Aside from gods which is stupidly specific on classes (it really only doesn't work / isnt the best for nahut) it's a good dps spec. You probably just aren't using it correctly. I'm not sure why you think it's so bad, would you care to elaborate on what specific issue you are referring to?

RikuvonDrake
08.12.2019 , 06:45 PM | #3
With you having 258 gear and content being balanced around 242 (apart from Gods Nightmare), everything is viable as DPS, even Sorcs.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Saga - FriendlyFire - Mango

ottffsse
08.12.2019 , 06:54 PM | #4
can you maintain about 50 apm or more in a raid (boss encounter)? If not, play a spec that reaches its potential closer to 35-40 apm.
Click my referral, get free stuff:
http://www.swtor.com/r/gFbhFZ

LordGhoried
08.13.2019 , 07:53 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by zorngodofall View Post
If you're talking about lighting dps as something for an operation, it's by far NOT the worst. Aside from gods which is stupidly specific on classes (it really only doesn't work / isnt the best for nahut) it's a good dps spec. You probably just aren't using it correctly. I'm not sure why you think it's so bad, would you care to elaborate on what specific issue you are referring to?

I am using my sorcerer pretty well, maybe I didn't explain correctly. What bothers me is that the class and spec is one of the worst dps, in pvp and pve. The spec is still bad, worst than many other specs. That is my point.

zorngodofall
08.13.2019 , 08:09 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by LordGhoried View Post
I am using my sorcerer pretty well, maybe I didn't explain correctly. What bothers me is that the class and spec is one of the worst dps, in pvp and pve. The spec is still bad, worst than many other specs. That is my point.
It's not. Lighting has some of the best passive aoe and some of the best and most versatile AOE in the game. It's single target leaves a bit to be desired but the rest of it makes up for the spec a lot. I actually have by request a lighting sorc on my team. Both for its debuff and because it's actually good in a lot of circumstances.

Where are you drawing your conclusions from that it's bad

RikuvonDrake
08.13.2019 , 11:12 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by zorngodofall View Post
It's not. Lighting has some of the best passive aoe and some of the best and most versatile AOE in the game. It's single target leaves a bit to be desired but the rest of it makes up for the spec a lot. I actually have by request a lighting sorc on my team. Both for its debuff and because it's actually good in a lot of circumstances.

Where are you drawing your conclusions from that it's bad
Speaking only in regards to endgame pve content, sorc dps is quite honestly far behind other classes and specs, Io Merc or Virulence Snipers out damages both sorcs specs by quite a bit, assuming, of course, equal skill and gear. However, even with less gear and less experiance a marauder or Powertech can quite easily out dps a more experienced and geared sorc. Naturally, these kinds of considerations only apply in Hardmode/Nightmares and with 258 gear now one or two sorc DPS is perfectly fine to bring to even the hardest of bosses, although maybe not optimal if you want easy clears heh.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Saga - FriendlyFire - Mango

Ayushman
08.14.2019 , 01:41 AM | #8
Aside from very few content ling sorcs are good depending on your gear, play style, rotation etc. but a little buff may be needed to be on equal footing with other classes. However this class also comes with very good passive skills and utilities. so its a tough call how to balance this class as good and exceptional players will outdo majority players and then there will be call for nerfs.
Seasonally 'Drunken' SWarrior... (wip)
Deys Legacy...(wip)... < The Galaxy's Least Wanted/Reputed >
'Do or Don't, there is no try' is polite way of saying 'You su(c)k badly. Go home'
Help out a fellow gamer? Click to know more.

Rion_Starkiller
08.14.2019 , 09:56 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by LordGhoried View Post
It's a fact that Lightning is the 3rd lowest parsing single-target spec in the game with only Marksman and Arsenal parsing lower (all ranged burst specs parse low compared to melee sustained, as the devs seem to have intended). Is it bad though? Not really, but you have to play it incredibly well to excel at it. Like others have said, with 258 gearing you should be able to clear almost everything.

There is one very important thing to remember when using Lightning: Alacrity! Here are the optimal stat distributions & gearing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing. (Thanks to Smarty)

1. You need to run 10.65%~ alacrity so that when you have 5 Focal Lightning stacks, you hit the 1.3s GCD threshold at 15.65%~.

2. You need to use Polarity Shift + Adrenal in tandem because the +30% alacrity buff granted by PS greatly reduces the cooldown of your next adrenal usage. This means you can use more adrenals than any other class / spec during long boss encounters.

3. APM - If you can't mash buttons fast enough to get 50+ apm in this spec, then it will probably perform poorly for you.

Personally, I prefer Lightning for PVE, and Madness for PVP.

PS - 6.0 Lightning is looking pretty good on the PTS, in my opinion. Lots more double procs.
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie and Solo Ranked Forum PvP (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(,,,,)(\/) ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?

Folcwar
08.14.2019 , 11:09 AM | #10
This topic - lightning is bad - is so old... And seeing here 'in 258 you should be able to clear everything', Beside gods nim, You can clear every piece of content in 248 with 228 augs - on lightning sorc too, in 258 it just becomes a joke.

Lightning far as damage goes is bottom of the barrel, but it's good enough, Defensive wise, lightning is OP. You have a passive damage reduction off 50% on char panel(23% standart +15% from Fulgurious Fortification) and 10% from the Deionized debuff), with 65% every 20 seconds using unatural vigor and 88% every 45 seconds using passive, unatural vigor and cloud mind utilty, add to this the absorb from static barrier - the fact unatural preservation is a huge self heal, and god immunity bubble and other self healing. and you have a seriously tanky class.

there was some video of 4 sorc dps clearing brontes NiM in 248's if you think i'm just talking trash, however it doesn't seem to be online anymore, here's the reddit post all the same.
https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comme..._brontes_kill/