Does anyone actually like the Odessen WZ?

TrixxieTriss

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone actually like the Odessen WZ?

I leave 8/10 times and I know lots of people leave it and most that stay only tolerate it or rage quite half way through.

Does anyone genuinely like it? Or are you just tolerating it?

Let's put it this way: odessen /quesh/ yavin ruins are the 3 maps i dont even try objectives anymore, just go for kills, rest maps 100% objective, those 3 are just **** and IMO with current army of tryhard snaveperatives desyncing around map quesh ****ball is unplayable, hate it more than odessen even.

I don't hate it (until it's the 4th one in a row like I got yesterday)... but "like", no I guess not. I think it would be better if they had somehow made it so that fighting tooth-n-nail over a node and eventually winning it was more valuable than just standing on one uncontested all round. But, alas, that's not the way it works. :(

I did meet someone in game who said they like it. At the same time they were complaining that voidstar was the most hated WZ ever. VS is one of my favs. To each his/her own I guess.

It's my favourite. Seriously.

It’s too much like a maze.

This is exactly one of the points why I acztually like it. You never know whom you'll meet around the next corner.

You might even come away with not meeting anyone.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I don't hate it (until it's the 4th one in a row like I got yesterday)... but "like", no I guess not. I think it would be better if they had somehow made it so that fighting tooth-n-nail over a node and eventually winning it was more valuable than just standing on one uncontested all round. But, alas, that's not the way it works. :(

I did meet someone in game who said they like it. At the same time they were complaining that voidstar was the most hated WZ ever. VS is one of my favs. To each his/her own I guess.

So you dont hate it, does that mean you are just tolerating it?

So you dont hate it, does that mean you are just tolerating it?

Well, to me "tolerate" implies an active dislike. I wouldn't go that far (except, as I said, the dislike-level builds as I get more and more of them. :D )

It depends on the team, actually. Just like a lot of warzones. If I have the kind of team that continues to deathmatch on deactivated nodes, or nowhere near nodes - then "tolerate" is probably the right word. If my team is trying then I don't mind it. If it's a good game I even enjoy the map.

But that's true for me for all warzones. I think it's just that OPG is one of those that people are more likely to ignore objectives, so that makes it worse than other WZs. Maybe Quesh, in my experience, is the only one where it's just as likely, or even more likely, that people will randomly deathmatch.

I excel at OPG :D

I am often the one with the highest or second highest objective score, simply because I shockingly only play the objectives. It is the only map where fighting is (mostly) the antithesis of winning.

Ohh but Banderal! Objectives man, OPG is about objectives. :D

People who don't really seem to enjoy PVP appear to enjoy the OPG map the best, probably because you actually can accomplish a win with absolutely zero PVP in it.

It's really quite the opposite of Voidstar which is probably my favorite map. VS forces you to participate in constant PVP to win the objectives whereas OPG encourages you to avoid PVP and grab buffs for the win.

To answer the question OPG is probably my least favorite map with Quesh Huttball close behind it.

I excel at OPG :D

I am often the one with the highest or second highest objective score, simply because I shockingly only play the objectives. It is the only map where fighting is (mostly) the antithesis of winning.

So end of the match your stats are something like this: 0 kills 0 deaths 150k dmg done, 50k dmg taken 20k objective score from afking at node while jerking off /netflix while nobody else gives rats *** about outcome of that ****zone and just want it to end fast to get into (hopefully) real map? :D

Ohh but Banderal! Objectives man, OPG is about objectives. :D

People who don't really seem to enjoy PVP appear to enjoy the OPG map the best, probably because you actually can accomplish a win with absolutely zero PVP in it.

It's really quite the opposite of Voidstar which is probably my favorite map. VS forces you to participate in constant PVP to win the objectives whereas OPG encourages you to avoid PVP and grab buffs for the win.

To answer the question OPG is probably my least favorite map with Quesh Huttball close behind it.

You can win Voidstar without fighting too, at least in the round, which you attack, same for huttball, you can win without fighting. Odessen is a nice wz to play cause you have more ways to approach the game. Its random where the control points spawn, its random what bonus buffs you get etc.

So end of the match your stats are something like this: 0 kills 0 deaths 150k dmg done, 50k dmg taken 20k objective score from afking at node while jerking off /netflix while nobody else gives rats *** about outcome of that ****zone and just want it to end fast to get into (hopefully) real map? :D

Winning is for LOSERS, you ... er... losers. :p

You can win Voidstar without fighting too, at least in the round, which you attack, same for huttball, you can win without fighting. Odessen is a nice wz to play cause you have more ways to approach the game. Its random where the control points spawn, its random what bonus buffs you get etc.

I have to be in the mood to avoid PVP and just chill to enjoy OPG.

If I play my best OPG game, I typically managed to get lucky and opened up more than one empty location with a power up, and I managed to get lots of bonus powerups that gave more points for control or sped up the points gained.

Basically my best OPG also lasts 5 mins or so because my team plays exactly like I am, avoiding fights just running powerups and buffs around to win as soon as possible.

The problem with OPG it has vantage points where ranged can potshot without interrupt, it's spread too far out which makes it possible to run around and never see one opponent, and as I explained you literally can win without using one attack or heal.

I have never had one Voidstar match in 6 years where I did zero heals and zero damage, even guarding doors in VS you are going to have to defend and fight enemies. VS also forces masses of enemies together in one large room whereas OPG has a vast area of spread out rooms.

I really view OPG and VS as complete opposites.

I've noticed that the people who hate proving grounds tend to be tunnel vision players who think they're good because they did 3.5 mil damage at the end of a match where they lost spectacularly because they're incapable of playing objectives.

Proving Grounds is great. It requires strategy and intelligent use of class abilities to quickly move around the map to attack/defend keypoints which change, every round. It's a good match type and I have no problems with it. If you just want a mindless killing spree, the ranked queue can always use more people to get pops a little faster. If you're not playing arenas, you shouldn't expect to rewarded just for mashing Massacre, all match long.

Final advice to all haters: git gud & lern 2 playy

Edited by HaoZhao

I dont mind OPG, I liked it at first, but it (and yavin) pop far too frequently. When every match is either yavin, OPG, or a huttball variation it leaves me wanting something different.

To the point on its too much objectives and not enough zerging, I personally like winning. Again, to a hammer every problem is a nail.

I've noticed that the people who hate proving grounds tend to be tunnel vision players who think they're good because they did 3.5 mil damage at the end of a match where they lost spectacularly because they're incapable of playing objectives.

Proving Grounds is great. It requires strategy and intelligent use of class abilities to quickly move around the map to attack/defend keypoints which change, every round. It's a good match type and I have no problems with it. If you just want a mindless killing spree, the ranked queue can always use more people to get pops a little faster. If you're not playing arenas, you shouldn't expect to rewarded just for mashing Massacre, all match long.

Final advice to all haters: git gud & lern 2 playy

This. Probably my favorite WZ.

I thought I was the only one that didn't hate Odessen. Interesting

Though, I've been playing the game for a long time and just doing things "different" is what I take most enjoyment out of these days. That said, I absolutely hate the Yavin map. Literally everything about it I dislike, even though I love Civil War, lol

I'd say Yavin and maybe Queshball are the 2 maps I dislike most. The ones I love being Novare Coast and Civil War, with the others occupying the spaces in between

I haven't done Warzones in a few months at the very least. But when I did Odessen was a pretty enjoyable WZ, it seems to more about completing objectives than merely who can pull the most DPS. Makes the group have to work together, the random point farms are also a good way to keep things variable IMO, again I'm mostly a PvEr but Odessen is one of the few Warzones I genuinely liked.

Totally! Node guard & chill :D

I like it when people play it. Sadly half the people who hate the map still stay rather than leave and make room for people who do, and when there is an inflation of such people in either group (or both) it sometimes ruins the fun. If everyone who stays in plays properly (and I don't even mean tactical geniuses. I mean focus nodes and take the fights to them), this is one of the most fun maps in the game. Especially I like about this map is the fact that there is no sap-caps AND it has nodes to capture, which means I can use my stealth for combat more often.

Actually yes. I took a long time to fully 'get' how it worked, learn what each power-up did and how to maximise score.

I would rate it above the long-channel-cap and hold scenarios ( Alderaan / Yavin)

On the down-side no-one ever has a plan at the start, since after round 1 it is quite randomised. There's a lot of running around ( therefore out of combat) - you either fight tooth and nail for a node or sit there guarding while everyone else scraps elsewhere.

But its a good map for dps and heal characters, who can unload rotations into melee-ing people on the node, or keep using knockbacks, stuns, mezzes and stuff almost on CD. - I stopped playing tanks a long time back, so can't say how good or not tanks are on this map.

I kinda wish there were warp tunnels for quick traversing across the area, but all in all, its a nice change every now and again.

On the down-side no-one ever has a plan at the start, since after round 1 it is quite randomised. There's a lot of running around ( therefore out of combat) - you either fight tooth and nail for a node or sit there guarding while everyone else scraps elsewhere.

I stopped playing tanks a long time back, so can't say how good or not tanks are on this map.

The best tactic after a phase is ended is to be at the ready on power-up spawns which are also "coincidently" the points closest to the greatest number of nodes simultaneously. Once the nodes spawned, tactic differs on their location and if/which powerup did you pick. By the way, smart players who have smart snipers in the area while standing on the node will always pass the powerup to the sniper to trigger if there is resistance. Entrenched powerup cannot be stopped in any way except for diversion combined with interupt/push/stun. 99% times it won't happen.

I didn't play tanks since their damage got nerfed, but when I did it was very fun. You can jump into a white node with 3+ enemies and make them all go crazy as you slowly pop all CDs to keep the node white for as long as possible (half the times I would survive the whole round and stealth out alive, even got some solo kills a few times), and my favorite (sin tank only): approach the turret node in stealth, target the sole guard in there, or the healer among the two guards, pull to the bridge and push before he can even understand you are there (safety first: if he has a pushing ability too, force shroud as you pull. It is also counterable by nearly any good enemy with good reflexes, maybe except for juggs and is prone to desyncs unless you do it just right, so success is very satisfying). OPG might be the one warzone where tanks guard nodes better than operatives, and with the upcoming tank changes I can't wait to tank there again :D