LOL Game balance

Sithcreep

It makes me laugh everytime ppl argue on general chat this game was perfectly balanced. Perfectly balanced up your rear-end. SKILL based games can be perfectly balanced. There is no way in HELL a gear based game can be perfectly balanced. This game is GEAR based.

In MW3 for example anyone whos skilled and plays the game the first time can own you with any standard weapon. Thats perfect balance. Gear, class dont matter, only skill.

But in this game, some classes are arguably better than others. Such a game can NEVER be perfectly balanced, not even close. Get that ******** idea outta your heads, its none but a vague dream. This game is imbalanced as hell. Thats a fact.

In MW3 for example anyone whos skilled and plays the game the first time can own you with any standard weapon. Thats perfect balance. Gear, class dont matter, only skill.

Not really, remember many can make customer classes the longer they play and been promoted. Also you speaking about a different game genre to this, so you're comparison is worthless.

This ain't a FPS and therefore can't be judged or compared like one.

It makes me laugh everytime ppl argue on general chat this game was perfectly balanced. Perfectly balanced up your rear-end. SKILL based games can be perfectly balanced. There is no way in HELL a gear based game can be perfectly balanced. This game is GEAR based.

But in this game, some classes are arguably better than others. Such a game can NEVER be perfectly balanced, not even close. Get that ******** idea outta your heads, its none but a vague dream. This game is imbalanced as hell. Thats a fact.

So I understand your problem: today you had your arse beaten a lot of times. Now you have to think if it was because of game imbalance or because of you low skill. :D

Not only did you compare an MMO to an FPS, but you used modern warfare of all things. You do realize there are weapons and perks that are unlocked by those who play longer, right? And custom classes that can greatly tilt the balance of a game?

It may not be perfectly balanced, but it's also not horribly unbalanced as some people make it out to be. You're right this game (nor any MMORPG) is not skill based, but it is also not solely gear based. Knowledge of game mechanics and strategy can allow you to beat someone better geared than you in a 1on1 fight and/or a DPS competition.

I played MW2 a lot but never really got into the third one. I bought it and stuck it in my Xbox but when I saw everything at level one I was like "nope, not spending another six months unlocking everything" and traded it in for Skyrim iirc.

I dislike the trend in FPS games where advantages can be unlocked in perks and unlocks - but I will say that in MW2 at least those differences were nowhere near as pronounced as the recruit vs WH imbalance in TOR, for example.

TOR doesn't have killstreak rewards, though, and those always annoyed me. So I get however many kills in a row and can summon an apache helicopter that hovers around and literally kill people for me with no effort or input from me? The one where you're flying above the map in a plane with a freaking Gatling gun and a freaking cannon isn't even as bad - at least those have to be aimed. Barebones mode, where all that nonsense was removed, was my favorite because I felt like it was the most skill-based. FPS games are at their best, in my opinion, when everyone starts the match with the same gun (the crappy assualt rifle in halo, etc.) and only their skill and knowledge of the map separate them from their competitors.

I would have agreed with the OP more enthusiastically a couple weeks ago, but then BW decided to reunite me with the powertech I made on a dead server in February. I respec'd him to a pyrotech and I'm liking pvp with that so far. Before I was pvp'ing with my tank and healer but both were too slow and dull for me. At least with the pyrotech I can be as aggressive as I am when I play FPS games. I even put up with the recruit crap long enough to get him a full set of augmented battlemaster and im at the point now where i feel like i can hold my own against most players gear-wise. Theres some classes that i feel like have an advantage in certain areas over me, and theres certain classes i feel like i can usually do pretty well against. Im coming up with ways to counter the former, though.

In general this is a lot simpler than an FPS game and the action is pretty slow in comparison, but I'll probably keep playing for a while at least. More maps would be nice though, MW2 shipped with like 16 maps and 12+ game modes iirc.

Edited by DrewFromPhilly

Now I really don't care about the whole gear driven game stuff but what I would add is regarding how gear is nullified.

Chained crowd controls with limited breaks (long cool downs) will absolutely destroy any sense of class balance and gear. When a ranged DPS can progressively chain lock a melee and kill them even when the breaks and resolve are used correctly, there is no balance.

Now I really don't care about the whole gear driven game stuff but what I would add is regarding how gear is nullified.

Chained crowd controls with limited breaks (long cool downs) will absolutely destroy any sense of class balance and gear. When a ranged DPS can progressively chain lock a melee and kill them even when the breaks and resolve are used correctly, there is no balance.

Yeah thats one example. I had a one on one encounter versus some Scoundrel on Corellia, Black Hole area. Its ridiculous how much of an advantage his cc was. Even though I was pretty aware of the problem there simply was no way of avoiding being cced 60 percent of the fight due to my ridiculous unleash CD.

Another example was an open world pvp encounter with a sage on Hoth. He simply cced my companion and thats it, the odds changed in his favor. Not having cc is simply a major disadvantage.

Or Huttball, I once had a complete inquisitor opponent team, you cant beat em. They cc the living poodoo outta you and heal like theres no tomorrow.

Not really, remember many can make customer classes the longer they play and been promoted. Also you speaking about a different game genre to this, so you're comparison is worthless.

This ain't a FPS and therefore can't be judged or compared like one.

And that was exactly my point. I was trying to explain how a game would have to be to be perfectly balanced. And the custom classes you speak of, unlocking fancy scopes and stuff dont matter at all in COD, any skilled player can own your rear-end all day with the standard FAMAS.

Something like that is not possible in TOR since some classes are simply much better than others, and since better gear does provide such an immense advantage. Try to stand against an augmented WH if youre in recruit gear, he owns your sorry rear-end in 5 seconds no matter what. No skill whatsoever needed. LOL All you need is the best gear available and youre the boss in this game.

And I think its pretty much common sense that the jugger is the weakest advanced class. Other heavy armor classes can even heal themselves and have better DPS. Maras have insane DPS and still moderate survivability. AI and Sin are squishy but have a myriad of tools like stealth, heals, insane cc to get an edge in any situation. Sorcs have most tools, powerful heals and spells to increase their survivability and still have outstanding DPS.

In my opinion a perfect or good balance would be if in a 1 on 1 situation any advanced class could win against the other if played correctly. But try to fight a Sin as a jugg, if you are around the same skill level you cant win, you will lose100 out of 100 encounters, their class advantages are just too great.

Edited by Sithcreep