Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Don't Judge Onslaught Unfairly

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Don't Judge Onslaught Unfairly

DreadtechSavant
10.24.2019 , 04:59 AM | #11
Negative players will regardless you know that by their posting history. There are not... well it certainly appears not many players who are middle of the road so to speck, its either all bad or all good. Don't expect that to change.

So far I personally liked the story (only done light side Consular so far) May change that doing my lightside Imperial characters as so far not enjoyed the sabotage idea at all.

I like the gear change, not as good as command crates but does offer more option to personalize your character so over all I'll take it.

Don't like Crafting change but long term not going to affect me as was not crafting level 70+ gear in any case.

Conquest also don't care for just because it takes much longer per character to do. It does offer better reward though as it also gives gear.

Don't like the lag, this has been as issue since Dantoonie but only in these new areas. It's fine in any area set before that.

Disappointed that the returning comps appearance was not updated as Nadia's was. Also no new flirt options for any of them.
Don't like the amount of points needed for each renown crate, seems very slow.

Not done the new dallies yet mainly because of the for mentioned lag.

The negative points above aside, I am so far enjoying it more than expected I would.

Estelindis
10.24.2019 , 05:55 AM | #12
Personally I really like the story, so I'm on the same page with you there.

I also like the visual design of the new areas, new outfits, etc.

Crafting is a disaster, but I'm hopeful it can be fixed in time. Poor story leaves a mark forever - there are things that happened during KotFE/ET that still bother me - but if a gameplay system can be fixed, I feel that undoes much of the harm it originally caused (except for whoever left for good in the meantime).
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo 🡢 The Progenitor 🡢 Darth Malgus ||
Let's Fix 6.0 Crafting
More love for class companions, please.
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~

DawnAskham
10.24.2019 , 05:59 AM | #13
New areas are nice, story is decent enough, both are too little though.

Gear system is trash - it might be ok if your previous method of gearing was wearing whatever the game dropped in your inventory, un-optimized and un-augmented.

Crafting is a dumpster fire where basic leveling gear cannot be crafted without inputs from multiple crafting gathering and mission skills plus group content materials plus conquest materials.

JattaGin
10.24.2019 , 10:44 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
And quality is always better than quantity, so please, don't judge Onslaught unfairly, which is what I see happening quite a bit. SWTOR isn't what it was during the time Rise of the Hutt Cartel or Shadow of Revan were released, the circumstances regarding manpower and resources have drastically changed. Don't judge Onslaught by comparing it to the previous expansions because then you judge it unfairly.
You have been gone for quite a while. I don't remember when I saw your name on this board the last time. Nice to have you back.

The people who continued here after you left, the ones who gave extensive feedback, the ones who warned about certain things... I think they have the right to critisize. I also don't think that it's unfair. I read through a lot of the threads here, and all of the complaints I saw are valid. Phrasing of course might be an issue in some cases.

To me it all comes down to this: BW spent a lot of time, resources and manpower to make changes to this game that absolutely no one had asked for, no one wanted and no one would have complained about if they wouldn't have happened.

Instead, they should have spent this time, the resources, the manpower in developing more things to actually play, e. g. longer story, a bit more interesting flashpoint, a new warzone, a new GSF map, maybe even a new space PvE mission. Just something more new to play. This is an expansion after all.

I simply don't understand their priorities. And I think that they could have delivered much more, if they would have not decided to completely change certain things in this game which must have taken a lot of effort to implement. Wrong priorities. Management issue. My opinion. YMMV.
Bioware offers a friend referal system which gives referred players a couple of goodies (incl. 7 free days of sub and a neat free 10 x inventory slot for every character) and referring players some little shinies and cartel coins.
I would be happy if you choose my referral link to grab your free goodies.

Ylliarus
10.24.2019 , 11:19 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
I notice that OP doesn't even try to address people's actual concerns about / criticisma of the expansion, which are for the most part nothing to do with the story.

Yes, it's unfortunate that the story's a little short, but OK, we can let that go in a pinch.

OP: what about the mess they made of max-level gearing? Post-600 crafting?(1) Address those things, please. Why are people's criticisms of those things unfair?

(1) Why does my Armstech with Investigation and Scavenging need blue exotics that drop in end-game group content (Ops / MM FPs and Ranked PvP according to the tooltip, although there are reports that VM FPs and ordinary PvP work) *and* Slicing materials in order to make the mostest basickest of requires-max-level green gear? Why does it cost half a million per crew skill to enable training beyond level 600?
Here's your answer:

Quote: Originally Posted by RakiaTime View Post
i dont get it, you get gear by playing the game, if you consider playing the game to be a grind why are you even here?
Every other game I have played has some form of grind in it for gear. If you don't want to put in the effort then don't, it's simple. But if you do want to engage in endgame content, then you'll have to work for it. What, do you want everything handed to you on a silver platter?

The costs are because of the inflation going on ingame, players have millions upon millions of credits and apparently Bioware is trying to create a little bit of a credit drain to normalize things. Just look at the prices on the GTN, they're insane. This is Bioware's attempt at lowering the credit pool ingame so as to drive those prices into normal ranges again.

Also, have you been part of the live test server? Have you participated in it? Did you express your feedback on the gearing and endgame system while it was developed?
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]
SWTOR Player since November 25th, 2012
And here is my referral link!

Ylliarus
10.24.2019 , 11:22 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by JattaGin View Post
The people who continued here after you left, the ones who gave extensive feedback, the ones who warned about certain things... I think they have the right to critisize. I also don't think that it's unfair. I read through a lot of the threads here, and all of the complaints I saw are valid. Phrasing of course might be an issue in some cases.
I never left SWTOR, I simply left the forums because they were literally giving me headaches, no joke. And from what I see, the forums haven't changed. It's why I don't consider the forums to be a trustworthy source of feedback, because even the Reddit SWTOR is being positive about this expansion. Even Reddit. So I wanted to bring in a voice of reason with this thread.

Besides, I am not saying that criticism is unfair, that's not what I said. What I said, was that criticizing the expansion from the perspective of previous expansions is unfair, because the circumstances around the release of the previous expansions are completely different than those around Onslaught.
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]

ZionHalcyon
10.24.2019 , 11:40 AM | #17
Truth is, while there is some valid criticism, a lot of the "hate" I am seeing lately feels very inorganic. It just seems really out of touch with reality. Like people had rants ready to go, and were just ready to unload.

I'm not saying this is the perfect expansion - far from it.

But I do think that people are blowing things way out of proportion.

Slurmez
10.24.2019 , 11:42 AM | #18
Its not being judged unfairly, if anything its being judged too lightly. They took an extra month to "finish" the patch and what we got is so buggy it shouldnt have even been on test server, the live server is now literally being used as test.

Missions are bugged, items are bugged, utilities are bugged, planets are bugged and then of course gearing, crafting and level scaling got thrown out of the window and all of that is bugged too.

All this smacks of someone new coming in and taking the reigns and talked big internally with his new ideas and "direction" because he thinks he knows best and having things running smoothly the way people like it just wont give him the recognition for his "vision".

No matter the size of the team, this is a AAA IP and EA isnt a small company, theres no way in the world this mess should have got past QA team before going to test, let alone TOUCHED the live servers. As it stands theres a couple of hours more content but the game as a whole has taken a step back, literally in the case of set bonuses which are now back on shells where they once were but changed.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall of the office of whichever muppet signed off on this mess.

Ylliarus
10.24.2019 , 11:44 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Truth is, while there is some valid criticism, a lot of the "hate" I am seeing lately feels very inorganic. It just seems really out of touch with reality. Like people had rants ready to go, and were just ready to unload.

I'm not saying this is the perfect expansion - far from it.

But I do think that people are blowing things way out of proportion.
Thank you for rephrasing my point into a more concise post. I agree completely.
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]

ZionHalcyon
10.24.2019 , 11:53 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Thank you for rephrasing my point into a more concise post. I agree completely.
Really, lets call it what it is -

A ton of these players raging against the machine are Ops and PvP players who are pissed that they have to work harder now to gear, in combination with players who demand that they want change, but then are determined that all change is bad.

The gearing change won't affect the standard player too much, and actually feels a bit more natural now. It also fits more with a typical MMO. Dare I say, people have been spoiled by the way gear used to be?

The more I dwell on it, the more I see the reasons why the developers did it, and while I don't agree with all the reasons why, there are some core reasons I happen to agree with.

And I am saying this as an ops player myself.

The whole thing feels a bit like Level Sync in 5.0 - a feature people said they hated, railed against mercilessly (while 5.0 had far bigger problems), and once the dust finally settled, it ended up being pretty much the best feature in the expansion and crucial for the health of the game...