Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Domination on The Ebon Hawk is now a farce

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Domination on The Ebon Hawk is now a farce

DresG
04.15.2014 , 03:34 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
Great. Now all those herp derp fotm idiots on my server are starting to use this build, too.

I'm asking myself again, why i still play GSF. It has become a complete joke in the past months and the majority of matches are pure bullsh*t and completely unfun. Maybe, i should finally call it quits. -.-
Adjust your flying patterns and kill those FOTM noobs, simple.

SammyGStatus
04.15.2014 , 03:39 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
Not really, post 2.7 gunships are at a loss when something closes with them.

But ofc by bioware's balance that's fine since scouts are countered by bombers.

R/P/S balance sucks don't it?
Yup. Jousted maybe 5 back and forths (in one joust) against Tsukoyomi only to need to peel off before he killed me (surprisingly, I didn't take much damage thanks to disto field + R.E.) It's definitely tricky to manage "Do I stay" vs, "I'm blowing him up!" post 2.7. I still thoroughly love my GS, but I'm definitely going to need support against Alex.
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

Nemarus
04.15.2014 , 03:40 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
Great. Now all those herp derp fotm idiots on my server are starting to use this build, too.

I'm asking myself again, why i still play GSF. It has become a complete joke in the past months and the majority of matches are pure bullsh*t and completely unfun. Maybe, i should finally call it quits. -.-
I think TDM can still always be fun. Any ship can contribute something there. Bomberballs protecting Gunships can be a bit nasty and frustrating, but are far from invincible.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

SammyGStatus
04.15.2014 , 03:48 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
I think TDM can still always be fun. Any ship can contribute something there. Bomberballs protecting Gunships can be a bit nasty and frustrating, but are far from invincible.
Not if there isn't someone to keep you in check. If you're farming newbs, the 5 minute game is just an expedition of arthritus
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

Sindariel
04.15.2014 , 04:06 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by DresG View Post
Adjust your flying patterns and kill those FOTM noobs, simple.
"Hey, look! I didn't read this thread but i want to post something."

Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
But the problem here on my server is, you either fly against noobs, which is plain boring (even though, some premades seem to enjoy this), or you fly against premades who play the fotm-bomber-gunship-furball game. There's rarely a balanced match, here.
And our GSF-community is rapidly declining.

Ramalina
04.15.2014 , 04:06 PM | #96
So thinking about the solve it, 12 minelayers, it largely comes down to a rolling zerg strategy that makes liberal use of gunship ion aoe spam. Probably at least 4 gunships worth at a minimum. It's complicated a bit by the nodes with cover being fairly inaccessible to railguns and the heavier missile class weapons. So it's not going to be 4 minelayers per node, it's going to be 5 or 6 on 2, and 1 or 2 on the easy to defend one.

Anyhow, general strat would be 4+ GS worth of ion rail spam to drain shields and engines. Maybe some EMPs in some form, and just generally a lot of shield piercing and or armor ignore long range weaponry.

Possibly hull healing + DR pair or two of dronecarrier and type 3 strikes, to try holding a sat that the zerg has taken.

So whole team to clear one sat. Leave 2-4 there to hold and call incomings, remainder of team swarms the other open sat, then tries to hold after it's cleared. Might then split up a bit so reinforcing is a bit easier.

Kuat is going to be a really bad map, because the node with good cover is in the middle. Shipyards and Denon are more favorable.

The complication, is that if the minelayer team starts switching to other ships, the anti-bomber builds are going to have a drastic reduction in offensive power and in survivability (well, except for the gunships, they'll still do ok, but the strikes, and scouts if any, will be hosed).

On interesting thing is that on a dogfighting strike build I used to love the close cover nodes because they mostly neutralized a scout's advantages in speed and range. Now though, one minelayer is enough to turn a node with cover into an exclusion zone for just about every other ship type.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Nemarus
04.15.2014 , 04:18 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
Now though, one minelayer is enough to turn a node with cover into an exclusion zone for just about every other ship type.
Exactly.

Whereas if the mines didn't ignore shields, then everyone could enter the zone, but the duration they could survive there would vary from class to class and shield component.

T1 Scouts would have the hardest time, due to weaker shields. T2 and T3 Scouts could last a little longer due to their Reactor.

Strikes, with the highest base shield capacity/regen would last the longest (especially T1 and T3), and would have the best set of weapons for countering individual Bombers. Gunships would fair pretty well also.

Bombers of all kinds would still be the best equipped to enter the exclusion zone, due to powerful shield components (even though base shields are low), hull and armor. But without being able to drop hull-damage mines, Minelayers couldn't instantly destroy all drones, nor could they put an ultimatum on Strikes and Gunships saying, "Leave the node or die within 15 seconds" like they can now.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

TheRampage
04.15.2014 , 06:04 PM | #98
While I do agree that bombers are really good at holding satelites, I dont see the reason to cry.

Their mines hurt? Indeed. But if you would moan "I'm going straight to gs and he railshots me instantly" nobody would tell that there is a problem with gunships, they would tell you to change tactics. Same goes for bombers. If you want to kill them you send your own bomber. Or gunship to tap all their mines. Or even to go under satelite and hit bombers before they even know from where are they hit. Not scout. And crying how "scout cant kill bombers" isn't going to help you in the long run. Yes, under satelite bombers are kings, but guess what? After you kill him once, he needs to come back and then he is big fat soft target for scout.

Solution? Fly all ships. Have 5 ships ready for any scenario. I'm flying mostly 2 new ships now but I have always equiped mine bomber, type one gs and type 2 scout. So i'm ready for anything, esp if enemy team is really good (which rarely is but that is different story). And if I see opposition team full of bombers I'm not gonna take Sting/FF, fly in, take 2 mines and "f*** this, I'm done".
Raph‚el - Not Good Enough

Armonddd
04.15.2014 , 06:13 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRampage View Post
While I do agree that bombers are really good at holding satelites, I dont see the reason to cry.
All of your suggestions have been discussed so far. None of them are valid.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Pilgrim_Grey
04.15.2014 , 06:34 PM | #100
Whatever the new patch did about hiding mines in asteroids, I ran into plenty of bombers hiding in a corner of a satellite so their heavy lasers are pointing out and they still toss out mines every 20 seconds with impunity. I think there are counters to bombers and that it really does help to target these guys as they're incoming, but you don't always have the choice. And with the slight changes to gunships, it's clear the new fotm is even more bomber heavy than it was before.

I'm already of the position that ships should lose some kind of defensive capability by coming to a full stop... this dogfighting game somehow makes it so you can do well by becoming a turret. It's mystifying, to be honest. I love that STO has a defense rating that goes down and disappears if you go full stop, and I would honestly like something similar here. Even halving defense would be nice if you come to a full stop... I don't know if that would need some balancing with gunships since they're supposed to stand still while firing, but it would be nice to have some penalty even there (nothing like missing 3 shots with your centered and maxxed out heavy lasers because the gunship that is sitting still hit distortion field).
Ithyrn (Guardian), Malachais (Gunslinger), Ez'kiel (Commando), I'arwin (Sentinel), Ben'adar (Scoundrel)
Ithryn (Operative), Ithryc (Juggernaut), Thar'kun (Powertech), Ahoshta (Assassin)
Shadowlands Server