Ranked Arena Mysteries

DavidAtkinson

This might sound like a dumb question, but I've always wandered....

Sometimes I see people/teams move so fast that I can barely keep up.. I am like WHAT the f.....

And the other question is about damage. Someone jumps on me and I am almost instant dead after like 3 hits...Need to start wasting defenses fast to stay alive, but usually death is still pretty close.

What needs to be done to achieve this ?

I know marauder predation spams... but It's not always when maras are around. :D

One of the explanations I suspect is that some people simply have better gigs/performance and connection.. which means that on my screen I;m kinda helpless as the other dude is a few miliseconds ahead of me in server response and actions.

If there are 2+ really good dps and you aren't used to playing against top level players then this happens.

Even 1 good dps can pull it off on someone who is too slow to pop proper dcds (anti focus especially).

Frankly though, unless you play perfectly you will take a ton of damage especially if they don't leave you alone and you're the only half decent player on your team.

If it's the case they won't leave you alone then just die as slowly as possible while putting in some damage. Nothing annoys a good dps more than when they're killing something slowly.

Edited by RACATW

It's hard to give you any specific ways to escape the global without knowing what class you play.

There are many ways that +% run speed or movement increasers (roll, etc) buffs are active. Almost every class has them (almost).

Something makes me feel that you are playing Jugg DPS, maybe Rage spec?

Arenas is a different beast. You will do best when you can guess what the other team is going to do. That's not always possible and they don't even always do what they should.

That being said, if you KNOW you are going to be attacked first, you'll need to hang back and stay in LoS. Almost without fail, the full team will not stay on a DPS that is in full kite mode.

As a sorc, sometimes I have to phase immediately. I get caught in an early stun and I know I won't survive it. I can either phase (1 min CD), cleanse (3min CD, might not help) or Bubble (3 min CD, i'd really like to save this one).

Alot of times survival can happen if you find a way to disrupt their opening play, such as that early phase.

If they continue to pursue, the longer you can give your team to beat on them while they are running after you the better. Your healer will likely help you with this by pulling and healing and your team should be helping you by peeling people off you with roots, slows, stuns, mezes etc.

Surviving a global play takes 2 things: 1) effort on your part and 2) effort on your teams part.

If both of those things are not successfully displayed, you'll likely die. If you and the team are successful at thwarting that global, likely you have gained an upper hand in the damage your team has been able to inflict during that time.

Some of the times you will be using your DCDs and movement abilities and such to escape in full kite for your entire life of that match doing very little dmg. In those cases, really try and soak up alot of dmg. 300k damage received is a good target, but will change depending on class.

It's hard to give you any specific ways to escape the global without knowing what class you play.

There are many ways that +% run speed or movement increasers (roll, etc) buffs are active. Almost every class has them (almost).

Something makes me feel that you are playing Jugg DPS, maybe Rage spec?

Arenas is a different beast. You will do best when you can guess what the other team is going to do. That's not always possible and they don't even always do what they should.

That being said, if you KNOW you are going to be attacked first, you'll need to hang back and stay in LoS. Almost without fail, the full team will not stay on a DPS that is in full kite mode.

As a sorc, sometimes I have to phase immediately. I get caught in an early stun and I know I won't survive it. I can either phase (1 min CD), cleanse (3min CD, might not help) or Bubble (3 min CD, i'd really like to save this one).

Alot of times survival can happen if you find a way to disrupt their opening play, such as that early phase.

If they continue to pursue, the longer you can give your team to beat on them while they are running after you the better. Your healer will likely help you with this by pulling and healing and your team should be helping you by peeling people off you with roots, slows, stuns, mezes etc.

Surviving a global play takes 2 things: 1) effort on your part and 2) effort on your teams part.

If both of those things are not successfully displayed, you'll likely die. If you and the team are successful at thwarting that global, likely you have gained an upper hand in the damage your team has been able to inflict during that time.

Some of the times you will be using your DCDs and movement abilities and such to escape in full kite for your entire life of that match doing very little dmg. In those cases, really try and soak up alot of dmg. 300k damage received is a good target, but will change depending on class.

Curretnly I am Annihilation marauder... ;) I haven't played many games this season (around 40) and my rating is almost the same as it was after first 10 games.

You are right tho.... can't disagree, but sadly.. what I noticed on myself and others is that teams(especiallyy in SR) do very little to help team mates that are 99% likely to get focused. I am not sure if this happens when playing a 1.2k rated char and getting only idiots in the team.. or because people are idiots in general.

70% of the time the other 3 dps-es of the team run to the enemy focus target and leave poor guy from their team alone.. vs 2 mercs or whatever to die pretty fast and then rage that he is trash.. stop que... kill yourself etc. ;)

Well I can’t tell you much about Mara specifically but you could possibly research Fury spec for additional immunity to CC. And make sure you are making good use of your cloak to go away and heal up with your regen ability.

If you have really low HP you’ll get focus, so fix that ASAP.

Well I can’t tell you much about Mara specifically but you could possibly research Fury spec for additional immunity to CC. And make sure you are making good use of your cloak to go away and heal up with your regen ability.

If you have really low HP you’ll get focus, so fix that ASAP.

Fury is great right now and it is particularly well suited for PVP. It gets 6 seconds of total CC immunity from Force Crush which triggers Gravity Fortex. It has a 30 second cooldown. This really turns out to be 24 seconds because the first 6 seconds you have the CC immunity but the cooldown started immediately. So it's like 6s CC immunity and after the immunity ends you can use it again in 24 seconds.

Given the insane amount of CCs that get thrown around, it's very easy to see the strength of the spec in PVP, and it's DPS is extremely high. It also has some of the best resources management because of it's Berserk ability so it's swimming in rage.

It also has a second 'leap' and this leap can even be used to leap to Snipers. Only one that can do that. Their mobility is insane, their CC immunity gives them that much more uptime defying CC effects and also makes giving Snipers [even mercs to a lesser extent] a real run for their money in terms of how they general are situated when fighting melee.

There's a reason 85% of the Marauders you see in PVP are Fury, it's strong as hell for many of these reasons. The CC immunity uptime/CD alone is a massive boon and source of strength in a PVP environment.

Only downside is, it moves like a snail heh. It may not be pretty, but it's effective! :eek:

The short length of Force Camoflage and that it doesn't take you out of combat state means the only way your gonna get away with that tactic is if your enemies aren't smart enough just to look at their minimap to see where you are. You will never come out of combat state in less than 20-25 seconds and if you are in close proximity to the person you had you targeted it will take longer to come of combat state so you can than do the out of combat regeneration like everyone can do. Hiding behind walls and what not is pointless unless your opponents are not really with it, they see u pop back up on their 'radar' in 4 seconds, there's no hiding that. If something else is keeping them occupied, and they aren't savy enough to know what you are up to, than you can pull it off.

Extremely unreliable tactic though and also it puts a big drain on your group because they are going to be without for like 40-45 seconds at best. Also assume they will look for you on their mini map in 4 seconds, they know you will reappear and there's nothing that can stop them from finding you than, they don't even need to have a LOS. It can work on occassion though, but that's very circumstantial.

Curretnly I am Annihilation marauder... ;) I haven't played many games this season (around 40) and my rating is almost the same as it was after first 10 games.

You are right tho.... can't disagree, but sadly.. what I noticed on myself and others is that teams(especiallyy in SR) do very little to help team mates that are 99% likely to get focused. I am not sure if this happens when playing a 1.2k rated char and getting only idiots in the team.. or because people are idiots in general.

70% of the time the other 3 dps-es of the team run to the enemy focus target and leave poor guy from their team alone.. vs 2 mercs or whatever to die pretty fast and then rage that he is trash.. stop que... kill yourself etc. ;)

The biggest suggestion is stop playing that spec. Its ramp up time is too slow for solo ranked. Switch to fury for cc immunity's and fast burst. Anni is really only good in group ranked.

And the other question is about damage. Someone jumps on me and I am almost instant dead after like 3 hits...Need to start wasting defenses fast to stay alive, but usually death is still pretty close.

One of the explanations I suspect is that some people simply have better gigs/performance and connection.. which means that on my screen I;m kinda helpless as the other dude is a few miliseconds ahead of me in server response and actions.

The more lag you have compared to the opposition, the bigger the disadvantage in ranked. It’s not like regs where you might be able to pick your fight.

ie when they merged APAC with the US, I went from 21ms ping to 180ms. I had to relearn how to play ranked, but I got there with lots of practice. Then they moved the servers to the east coast and It’s basically impossible to play ranked with 230-300ms (constant lag spikes).

It feels like you get 2-3 hit and your dead. I’ve even tried bubbling my Sorc before they hit me and I die through it because of the lag. You can literally spam DCDs and you’ll die through them.

It doesn’t matter how good your reflexes are. If you have too high ping, you cannot not get your DCDs up fast enough if you get focused.

The only recourse is to play the most OP FOTM class that is hardest to kill. Then hope your team will be better than the other team and your lag handicap won’t be noticed as much. Because if the ranked community finds out you have a bad lag handicap, they will either kick you from teams or you will always be focused first.

Edited by Totemdancer

Save your breaker for the merc net so that you can camo out. But don't forget undying rage works during a net as well. Or obfuscate.

You will take some damage and it forces you to use dcds but that's unavoidable during nets.

Edited by RACATW