Lost Island gear?

Was in a group last night (with LFG tool) and ran Lost Island HM. Got to the very last boss. I was DPS with my Merc and had 750-930 damage. Nearly full Columi with two other pieces of Tionese but I did have gear set bonuses.

They kicked me on the 3rd try (first two the others in the group died, last time I died I got stuck and died, not totally my fault as I know what to do).

Was the kick fair? I had the highest DPS. The other three were all in the same guild and they tended to place a lot of blame on me for things that didn't really seem to be my fault.

Am I just not geared enough for it? You HAVE to have full Columi even if it looks like you have the highest DPS?

Seems if we had made it to the last boss we were good enough to finish it. I spent three hours getting there and spent literally $50k in repairs and all for nothing! I'm considering unsubbing because of this! How many groups are like this? Seems like a lot. Sort of ruins the game for me.

Now I could just go to PVP but I don't enjoy PVP right now. I haven't seen all the ops and fps yet so I'm sitll going to play PVE but dang, I'm pretty discouraged with this game right now.

Edited by el_Bizzle

Sounds like typical blame-the-pug syndrome. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about it except put them on ignore so you don't have to group with them again.

It wasn't that long ago that I had a fair bit of drama when I kicked a fellow guild member from a raid that was half-pugs because they weren't pulling their weight. I don't really have time for some misplaced sense of loyalty :/

Still, back on-topic: if your DPS was the highest and you weren't quite full Columi, it's hard to say. It's certainly doable sub-Columi, but everyone needs to be pretty on-point.

Edited by Aurojiin

Was in a group last night (with LFG tool) and ran Lost Island HM. Got to the very last boss. I was DPS with my Merc and had 750-930 damage. Nearly full Columi with two other pieces of Tionese but I did have gear set bonuses.

They kicked me on the 3rd try (first two the others in the group died, last time I died I got stuck and died, not totally my fault as I know what to do).

Was the kick fair? I had the highest DPS. The other three were all in the same guild and they tended to place a lot of blame on me for things that didn't really seem to be my fault.

Am I just not geared enough for it? You HAVE to have full Columi even if it looks like you have the highest DPS?

Seems if we had made it to the last boss we were good enough to finish it. I spent three hours getting there and spent literally $50k in repairs and all for nothing! I'm considering unsubbing because of this! How many groups are like this? Seems like a lot. Sort of ruins the game for me.

Now I could just go to PVP but I don't enjoy PVP right now. I haven't seen all the ops and fps yet so I'm sitll going to play PVE but dang, I'm pretty discouraged with this game right now.

Unfortunately this is common behaviour with any RDF, the group was looking for a scapegoat and you were the odd one out. Dont take it to heart as we will be hearing this time and time again, all I can suggest is make a note of the characters/guild name and put them on ignore that way you wont get these 3 players again.

Edited by NoxiousAlby

I'd say the first boss is the hardest in the place with the last being a very close second. The thing about the last fight - If everyone isn't moving out of things they shouldn't be standing in quickly, and standing in front of the boss when they shouldn't be, it makes it extremely hard to heal - It's as much about situational awareness than dps (granted you need decent dps to push the next phases of the fight quickly). As the other guys have said, you were the odd one out unfortunately and got the shove. The LFG tool is a brilliant asset for grabbing a group quickly, unfortunately it doesn't have a filter for idiots - something I think even the best programmers would struggle to implement :p.

As for gear - I definitely wouldn't be touching it with tionese bits, it's a T2 Flashpoint for a reason. That being said, if you're pulling the best dps out of the group you were with (assuming they had better gear than you did) it sounds like a bigger case of needing to learn to play on their part than a fault of yours.

Off topic: Your gear doesn't always say a lot about your actual damage numbers i.e. a Tionese set holder can have a better output damage easily compared to a player with a full Columi set because they just don't know their perfect rotation.

On topic : This is completely normal I have seen this happen many times to others and to my self as well. People having the right gear/dmg but still getting kicked. The reason is simple:

Any mmorpg at a recreational level is friendly and ethical for example you start a character level a bit, so some group activities nothing too challenging. The people are nice, they are normal, don't have any of the gamer addict symptoms. However this all changes once you start doing more difficult things in the game like Tier 2 Flashpoints ( Lost Island HM ) and HM Operations. Because the people that want to do this , are determined to maximize their characters gear. And they no longer have "fun" in a way. They see it as a compulsion ( Which a mmorpg should never be, however it does happen ) to succeed. They don't behave like normal people on the street and have incredibly poor social skills. They don't know how to speak to a person online. They rely on their ability to just click for a votekick because they know how to do that. These players you always meet in Pugs at a higher level. Now that group finder is here, you need even less communication to bring a group together, which these nerds, if I may say so honestly, use to their profit.

I would say try making some friends in a guild. And you can avoid such situations in the future.

• 5 months later...
Had a similar issue on my first hm. I was doing esselles and I couldn't heal them through ironfist. So I was kicked. I did some research and found out they weren't interupting his headshot or fighting him away from the heavy hitting adds. I have 2/3 columni at this point and don't believe I would have healed that group even now. As a note every other group I have done esselles with ironfist was a breeze to heal. I encountered something similar on a mailstrom run were we kept wiping on the robot. Figured out it was me not running through him when I got pulled in. I was backing up and taking his blast in the face. Sometimes it is you sometimes its not. Know when its you and figure out what you are doing wrong and be a better pugger.

Lost Island is horribly misgeared. It should drop rakata and require half(maybe 3/4) columni. The last boss is extremely hard. I know a lot of over geared healers can push a group through - but were you using the rakgul vaccine? It mitigates a lot of damge.

Lots of times when a group is stuck on a boss and all are in the same guild they will get some over geared guildie to come in and carry them. It might have had nothing to do with you.

you win LI HM based on how good your tank and healer are, it's the same with any other FP/Ops lol

I play a coruption sorc for LI usually and I'm at about a 40% success rate through group finder right now, usually you know if group is going to win when you get to LR-5 if you can get past that you usually will beat lorrik..

I've had some cases where dps takes way too much damage but it's almost always because they are melee dps and are oblivious to where they should be positioned. LI definitely way easier to win with 2 ranged dps.

but with that said, tank is make or break on this FP moreso than the rest of the group, they have to know how to move the droid the right way, how to dodge the satchles, how to use there interupts intelligently etc. It's alot of work for them, and if the run is successful I usually praise them with some extra glory for being good.

You were probably a victim of the guild association and random kicking. It happens to all of us. It's very annoying when you get kicked near the end. I almost think there should be a ban kicking at the final boss.

I think LI HM is very, very tough for a melee DPS marauder. I usually tell all upfront I have a very difficult time beating the LR-5 droid. I am full Columi/some BH with some Campaign armoring. My DPS is somewhat low because I don't have a Columi MH (it drops in this FP I believe with Lorrick). Usually the group is willing to try a couple of times with LR-5 and if it doesn't work I ask them to kick me and find a better replacement. I obviously need practice on this FP and this seems to be the only method to get it. A lot of the tanks who I have been paired with say they usually go with a ranged DPS, so maybe that is the problem, not enough experience working with melee DPS, in addition to the melee DPS not having the proper experience.

I did get through LI HM with an assassin but also had a very experienced tank and healer. It seemed much easier with LR-5 and the rest was not nearly as bad as my experience has been with marauder.

It's weird because I've done HM KP and EV, and parts of SM TFB with no problem with marauder.

The last Phase of Lorrik is a dps check. All the smart tanking and heals in the world won't save you if you dps too slow. There is a stacking uncleansible DoT that will unavoidably kill you if your dps is slow.

Compare this to the LR-5 where good tanking and healing really can make up for slow dps as long as you don't hit enrage or kill quickly after enrage.

How do you know you had the highest dps? Were you in their parser?

The Flashpoint is supposedly balanced for Tionese, which is why it drops Columi. However, most would agree it is VERY challenging in full Tionese. Do you not have any Black Hole gear at all? You should be able to get 1-2 pieces within a day or so of hitting 50.

I think you should get a couple more powerful pieces of gear and keep the above info in mind. But I also agree with other posters that there is a good chance you were the scapegoat for the guildmates who didn't want to admit to their own shortcomings.

Edited by LarryRow

Was the kick fair? I had the highest DPS. The other three were all in the same guild and they tended to place a lot of blame on me for things that didn't really seem to be my fault..

I don't know if I would call the kick fair. Having said that, the group CAN remove you if they feel you aren't getting it done in a FP or Ops.

I have bad news. You had mixed Tionese/Columi. You will not survive LI with Tionese anything.

You might get by with full Columi(w/augments), but the rest of the group will have to carry you.

You would have a better time with full Rakata(w/augments).

What I would do is:

1. Get full Rakata and augment EVERYTHING you can.

2. Get as much BH as you can(including Implants) and start putting the level 61 mods from the main BH armor(Head, Chest, Legs, Feet) into your Rakata pieces. The reason you want to do this is so you can maintain the set bonuses that comes with the Rakata set, while having more the more powerful mods, enhancements, etc., that come from the BH pieces.

3. Sell the BH shells to make some cash(from a medical droid or other vendor). They should go for about 3,500 credits each.

Dr. Lorrick is one of the toughest bosses in the game if you don't know what you are doing. It's okay if you're undergeared. We all were at some point. Know your limits because when you cause(inadvertent as it may be) your group to repeatedly wipe, you are forcing those players to pay a large amount to repair their damaged armor. I have paid significant amounts to repair armor after wipes, and let me tell you, it isn't cheap.

Do your dailies, run all other HM FP's so that you can start collecting Columi. Then go from there.

Hope this helps.

I don't know if I would call the kick fair. Having said that, the group CAN remove you if they feel you aren't getting it done in a FP or Ops.

I have bad news. You had mixed Tionese/Columi. You will not survive LI with Tionese anything.

You might get by with full Columi(w/augments), but the rest of the group will have to carry you.

What I would do is:

1. Get full Rakata and augment EVERYTHING you can.

I've done LI before as a dps and a healer with half Tionese / Columi.

Skill (awareness + decent reaction time) beats gear advantages any day. The gear the OP had was fine, the guild group were likely arrogant of their abilities, and instead of accepting the facts that he was better than their guild member, they chose to boot him.

LI isn't a single bit difficult, all it requires is decent gear (which he has) and the most important a decent reaction time. Only time I've ever wiped in LI is when the pug I'm in has people that react slowly to the signals of danger.

On a side note OP:

Continue to queue with the gear you have, it's enough to do well with. If you ever see a group of 3 guild members, just leave the flashpoint, it's not worth it. Pre-mades ruin PVE just like they do to PVP.

I've tanked LI HM with my powertech in Columi with Rakata implants and a Battlemaster blaster. It's perfectly do-able. Easier with better gear, but not impossible without. I do think full Columi is about as low as an averagely skilled player, rather than someone super elite, can go. For what it's worth, I'm definitely not super elite!

My DPS is somewhat low because I don't have a Columi MH (it drops in this FP I believe with Lorrick).

For a Marauder/Sentinel (as well as Gunslinger/Sniper), you can can actually get the offhand from Battle of Ilum and rip out the mods to put them in your mainhand. You don't need full Rakata or even full Columi to complete LI - it's much more about mechanics than raw DPS. And mechanically, it can be very challenging.

In reply to the OP, yep, I've had that experience too, and it burned me for a long time. Early on, I ran a healer who kept getting wiped on Ilum (at the boss battle where there are constant waves of adds; it's skippable, but apparently nobody in the group knew that at the time). The three other players were guildmates of each other who heaped abuse on me for not healing them fast enough. After that, I actually quit my healer and made DPS character; when I became more experienced I realized that the problem had actually been the DPS players, who were focussing on the boss and not dealing at all with the adds (who monstered my healer, forcing me to spend all my cool downs on myself). I think perhaps the tank knew that, but didn't want to criticize his fellow guild members.

The only thing to do, really, is try not to let it get to you. Add them to your ignore list and go on; I usually find that after every bad experience, you'll find a good one just around the corner :)

Edited by SleepyKing

I've Done LI HM in Tionese/Colmui as a tank. Yep its doable but thats because i knew what was going on.

The group i did it as a Tank, the healer even complained that my HP was to low for a tank but i ended up proving him wrong.

If your not sure on how things work in LI HM do the SM first and learn that, there is a few things in SM that aren't in the HM but its easy to figure out.

and yes i've had groups like you had that kick because they are in the same guild, its not nice but don't let it get ya down.

if you have problems with GF then shout in General on the Fleet and start a group there.

Rakata? Full (or mostly) columi is enough, I've done it without rakata anything and I dont rate myself as a good player and I've done it as melee dps and melee tank.

The problem with LI HM is not that that it's a huge gear check, it is more than possible to do it in tionese if you are basically a god at your class and know which abilities/rotations to prioritize at certain moments and resource management for healers etc. However lets be clear the average pug in tionese is not going to be a god at their class, they are going to make mistakes like most people who are new to end game.

The only thing bioware are achieving by saying tionese is OK for the minimum requirement are a lot of frustration and wipes, it just wastes peoples time when some comes along a GF run and says "Sorry Im new..." followed by death or/and agro then "sorry I fail" then a quit group. It's not so much a gear problem but an experience problem, tionese players especially pugs don't have the experience to progress onto this next stage of endgame... where as someone who at least has earned some columi pieces has that mindset and the end game experience to progress on to the next level of mechanics and unforgiveness for mistakes.

One thing that can happen in fighting Lorrick, is you spend a lot of time moving around, dodging the green goo and the satchel charges, resulting in dps downtime.

On my Commando, which has an excessive amount of long-cast-time attacks, I basically tell the healer not to worry about cleansing the green goo, as I can cleanse it off myself. I then have to be less careful about moving during that stage. If I'm in the middle of a cast, I'll let it finish, fire off an instant attack while moving, and then cleanse when I get to a safe spot.

I had a dramatic increase in dps from doing this, as it reduced the amount of dps downtime. As a Mercenary, you can do the same thing. Give it a try the next chance you get and see if that helps.

I've done LI before as a dps and a healer with half Tionese / Columi.

Skill (awareness + decent reaction time) beats gear advantages any day. The gear the OP had was fine, the guild group were likely arrogant of their abilities, and instead of accepting the facts that he was better than their guild member, they chose to boot him.

LI isn't a single bit difficult, all it requires is decent gear (which he has) and the most important a decent reaction time. Only time I've ever wiped in LI is when the pug I'm in has people that react slowly to the signals of danger.

On a side note OP:

Continue to queue with the gear you have, it's enough to do well with. If you ever see a group of 3 guild members, just leave the flashpoint, it's not worth it. Pre-mades ruin PVE just like they do to PVP.

Right, but when is enough.....enough? I understand and agree that it could be done with the gear he has, but you guys are putting faith in GF to provide a team he can trust. Faith that is almost certainly misplaced.

You dont really know the skill or knowledge of the players your grouped with until that first mob or boss encounter. Then you'll get a rough idea how its gonna play out.

Edited by DarknessInLight

To be honest I understand that if they don't want someone Tionese geared (even if 2 pieces) in the group, they can kick you at the beginning with explanation. But to kick you at the 3rd boss on the third try? Sorry that's just asinine, or you are not telling the whole story, OR you are not totally familiar with the boss mechanics

You will not survive LI with Tionese anything.

For someone who has personally done HM LI in a team that was wearing nothing more than full Tionese, I can assure you that you have no clue what you are talking about it when you state those points.

It really sucks that you had a bad experience like that, but there are many awesome and helpful players out there that you can meet in pugs. If that guild had a problem with your gear, they should have told you so right off the bat and not once you had gotten to the final boss.

Weather or not tionese gear is good enough really depends on the player, how used to their class they are and how well they know the fights. Those bosses can be very mechanics heavy so if new players are focusing on doing everything right, they may not be dpsing at their best. :)

I was running it last week with a tank in full tionese/recruit gear. She knew what she was doing and was a breeze to keep up for the most part, but we were having an aweful time downing the bosses before they enraged. The DPS in that group had a mix of tionese to black hole gear. Everyone seemed good for the mechanics, and I think with a few more BH or Rakata pieces we would have had an easier time, though it's hard to say.

At he same time, I remember one memorable pug group where a well geared sent ended up dropping and we replaced him with a slinger with lvl 35 green pieces and tionese who had never done it before. The other DPS was a shadow with a columi/bh mix. We got up to Lorrick with no problem. Admittedly we died several times on Lorrick, but ended up downing him. Honestly I didn't think that we could, but the shadow had enough confidence in their skills that they could make up for sub-par gear on a good player.

Ironically, I had just the same exact experience last night. Tank kept insulting the healer and me, saying we weren't going to cut it prior to the first boss. We easily killed first, defeated LR-5 on second try (healer had died), Easily defeated Sav-Rak second time (I had goofed by not getting close enough first time and getting bounced off platform). Tank yelled at me for dying early. We proceeded to easily defeat everything to Lorrick. Wiped once on Lorrick, though we had him close, after taking a 5-minute break, tank then decides to kick me because "you are useless, lag is too bad". First mention at all of lag (I wasn't noticing it on my end).

Bottom line in a PUG: there will always be people who are new or not as familiar as more experienced players. Often there is no patience from the tank. Unfortunately, the game is set up so the tank can do whatever the heck he/she wants. I wish he had initiated the kick earlier, if he felt he had to, rather than at the last boss. I was really wanting a rakata piece or two.

Ok first off the OP, your 730-930 dps is about equivelant to a lvl 45 dps(i do more than that with rapid shots alone on my power tech(yeah thats auto attack)) Second, i believe the other part of your group posted a story about this run in another post titled "my first rage quit" at least one of the stories someone put in there sounds just like yours. And 50k in repairs is nothing to cry about i think 1 or 2 deaths used to cost around 50k back in the day.

To who ever said that there is an un cleansible dot, not true. Well, maybe the rackgoul poison one isnt but even so if thats really causing an issue go buy the vaccine. Also by no means is lorrick a dps check, if you have a tank with 1/6th of a brain a taunt picks up the adds if you dont burn the tanks quick enough.

To everyone this place is honestly a faceroll joke, i'll give you a summary of the whole instance.

(honestly if anyone counts anything before this as a boss you probably should just turn around)

Droid boss, interrupt incinerate(whoops missed incinerate, if your a Sin/Shadow force shroud and you win, if not your healer can cleanse you) DONT STAND IN SH*T, listen this place is nerf city it tells you about 3 seconds before your going to drop the lighting go stand in a corner away from the tank. If one gets dropped to close or theres some melee ouu a blue circle time to move...(the fire does honestly no dmg to you dont be scared) ignore the adds for the mopst part and knock them down with an aoe if you see a ton of them on the healer.

Boss #2 the spitter dude. Everyone stack in the center and then 3 people (tank and 2 dps) run to buttons and press them... ouu thats hard.

Lorrick face roll lorrick(as the tank towards the first kolto tank(its always the same one) interrupt his cast if you want but it doesnt make a difference. Stay out of green sh*t if you dont yell or cleanse your self if you get around 5 or more stack. As the tank again when lorrick tries to show you his trick move around the kolto tank(los shouldnt be an issue for the healer cause you should be about full health if not thats a different story aka tell your dps to stay the f*ck out of green stuff) rinse and repeat. phase 2 again stay out of green sh*t and this time also dont walk near the fire guys because theyll stun you and wat you up, also interrupt his cast where he jumps to a random member(it hurts) angain rinse and repeat. Phase 3 everyone park there *****e$ against the closest wall while hes phasing(you cant hurt him here) and dps the cr@p out of him, while this is happening the tank also needs to taunt(target of target) the boss does many aggro drops.

All in all faceroll and win.... i did this whole thing in roughly 15-20 mins yesterday after not being in there in months

Lastly if you cant beat LI HM please save everyone the trouble esp if your a tank or healer and dont join groups for EC hm or tfb. These are very basic things to learn, learn them in LI first please.