Unlocking flagship rooms

InfamousDolphin

I see in the patch notes that the cost to initially purchase a flagship has been reduced from 50 million to 8 million. As we all know, the cost to initially purchase a flagship is a teeny tiny portion of the cost to fully unlock a flagship -- somewhere around 1,500,000,000 credits total. I am still waiting for the patch to download, so I haven't seen for myself, but does anyone know if the cost and/or materials to unlock flagship rooms has been reduced?

I mean, reducing the total cost by 42 million is nice, I guess, but I really hope they reduced the main cost of a flagship, which is unlocking the rooms.

Edited by InfamousDolphin

I have found the answer to my question: the cost to unlock rooms appears top be the same. So whoopee, the cost to unlock a flagship was reduced by 2.8%. Yay.

But wait, it gets better!

Considering the game needs more credit sinks to try and stablize the economy not less, im not seeing a issue here. Should have just left it all as it was. The more credits out of the economy the better.

Edited by Suzsi

Considering the game needs more credit sinks to try and stablize the economy not less, im not seeing a issue here. Should have just left it all as it was. The more credits out of the economy the better.

I understand your point but am the sole surviving player still active in either my Republic and Imperial guilds. Being a poor player, the inability to afford the unlock price in the flagship really bites.

I understand your point but am the sole surviving player still active in either my Republic and Imperial guilds. Being a poor player, the inability to afford the unlock price in the flagship really bites.

Today's update was a big middle finger to anyone in a guild that doesn't show up on the weekly conquest leader boards. So... yeah. It bites.

Guilds were not made for solo players so outside of making it easy to GET the ship, there should be no expectation to make unlocking one affordable to most solo players. That said, you still get perks from the two default areas in the ship (once you do some Guild XP leveling), so there's that.

Why not recruit? There should be some folks happy to be part of a start up guild rather than another faceless minion.

Guilds were not made for solo players so outside of making it easy to GET the ship, there should be no expectation to make unlocking one affordable to most solo players. That said, you still get perks from the two default areas in the ship (once you do some Guild XP leveling), so there's that.

Perks that you can spend 900,000 credits for, each, every 28 days. Perks that do not quite bring you up to the +10% XP/rep bonuses you had yesterday.

Why not recruit? There should be some folks happy to be part of a start up guild rather than another faceless minion.

Only if they don't know anything about today's update. If you are not in one of the top 10 megaguilds, you are wasting your time. As the GM of a guild with 265 members (a little over 100 legacies), I am wondering what we can do about it. Maybe approach some other medium-size guilds and talk about merging. Because the devs have penalized every guild that is not at the top of the conquest leader boards.

Yeah, I am a small guild leader. We've been around since beta, but our active membership has fallen. Most of us are RL friends, though, and not inclined to give up our guild. The unlock costs are prohibitive. We are all adults, career people & small business owners, mostly married, mostly parents. It is annoying that we are locked out of fully opening the guild ship. However, we also know that MMOs have always catered to the players who put in 60+ hours a week and the large guilds who schedule their players like it is a fulltime job. It would be nice if this, which has no effect on BIS gearing but lots of effect on ability to keep a character leveled Ops readiness, could be changed to let us dedicated but less frequent players access it.

What makes the situation worse is that now running after battle masters and named commanders, which before was necessary to get the encryptions and frameworks to unlock flagships, is now also part of the mindless conquest grind, so guilds with no need to get those drops will be killing commanders just for conquest points. It doesn't matter that 24 people can help kill a commander, only 8 or 12 of those players get encryption drops, the rest of the players helping out get nothing but conquest points.

Everybody needing to unlock the areas of a flagship can grab a couple of competent friends and take down a battle master, and with the more cheaply acquired flagships, that means a lot more people will be vying for a resource whose prevalence has not increased nor whose necessity has not been diminished (via changing flagship room unlocks to not need those resources).

So, a scarce resource (12 planets of battle masters that spawn once every few hours and shielded commanders that are the exclusive domain to kill for whichever huge guild owns that sector) means if you weren't paying a ton of money for encryptions before on the GTN because you could occasionally snag a battle master, you will now, which is nothing more than a Christmas present for the gold sellers.

People think a credit sink has been taken away by reducing the cost of the flagship, but the demand for credits to buy frameworks and encryptions off the GTN just shot way up.

Players rich enough and already in the habit to buy crap off the cartel market to fund the credits necessary to shop for encryptions on the GTN will be the only ones not screaming about this.

They should have reduced the flagship unlock costs (to not use fought-over tokens) as well as the flagship acquisition cost.

Edited by xordevoreaux

People think a credit sink has been taken away by reducing the cost of the flagship, but the demand for credits to buy frameworks and encryptions off the GTN just shot way up.

Players rich enough and already in the habit to buy crap off the cartel market to fund the credits necessary to shop for encryptions on the GTN will be the only ones not screaming about this.

Actually, I am one of those GTN players, and the prices of the encryptions have already shot up. So what cost a billion and a half on Sunday (completely unlocking a flagship) would now cost billions of credits. To a megaguild like <Unchained Wrath>, it's a minor inconvenience, and well worth the truckload of perks they just got. To everyone not in a megaguild...

There really needs to be a viable way for small guilds to slowly but surely unlock the flagship, without buying things off the GTN. Leveling the guild isn't a rewarding activity unless you can slot bonuses, and you need unlocked flagship rooms to do that.

• 7 months later...

Yes NECRO.

I felt it's time to bring this back to life again. with a twist.

I believe it's time to remove the framework need to unlock the rooms on the "Guild" Flag ships.

I know ppl already have said they are for guilds but we all know not all guild are that big or have the means to kill the commanders to get them.

Before you ask, I know that conquest is simpler now and you can do it that way but you who say that is also aware that it takes 250 blue ones to unlock one room.

Back in the day all those years ago when I bought a ship, they did cost 50 mill and that was a lot of money back then.

My main hope was one day open up one single room alas to this day that haven't happened yet.

I know and no need to repeat it, it's for guilds and not private use.

Beside the point at this stage really, all those frameworks does is prevent ppl to unlock for no reason what so ever.

it does not hurt the game, your play style or anything what so ever to have them with a pure credit cost.

It's gotten so bad on DM at least that a Engineering framework is trying to be sold on general chat for 25 mill and that's for ONE, that means that one of those rooms alone would set you back 130 mill, while you can get the ship for 8 mill today.

Not to look at command framework, last time I looked on GTN it was around 80 mill, EACH

So 245 mill to open ONE room, there is NO logic behind that what so ever.

Then we have a player that trying to get groups on the fleet under the pretext that the "group" get an item worth 1 mill on GTN, IE blue one.

What he fail to tell them is that he will use Master loot in the end and take the purple one for him self and he's guild.

We have guilds that warn there members about this and I've heard that they even camp the Rep side bases to make sure no one else can get them when they try to have groups made.

So I would suggest, that with 6.0, remove Blue and Purple from the needs to unlock the rooms.

The ship today cost 8 mill to buy, to fully unlock it would still cost 75 mill and that is money leaving the game.

IE money sink and this game really needs one now.

Then we can unlock rooms, buy deco, and with that BW might make CC sales on some, money goes out of the game.

People don't get abused.

You still need to gain levels to get the perks from the ships, so to alter the way we unlock them to me is a good thing.

Regards

Don't care if it's necro, it's still a good point.

The problem is that there is no way for small guilds to earn room unlocks.

I'm not asking for a freebie or a discount. I'm just asking that there be a path to encryption rewards that doesn't reset before a small guild can reach the goal.

Oh, and one billion credits is not a reasonable credit sink.

Edited by Xina_LA

I'm not asking for a freebie or a discount. I'm just asking that there be a path to encryption rewards that doesn't reset before a small guild can reach the goal.

Yes, it would be really nice if they would reduce the number of frameworks required to unlock rooms. Even small guilds should be able to reach the small planet conquest goal now, which is great. Still, at one encryption per character per week, unlocking even one room will take a very long time for a small guild.

I’m not going to lie. I would love a reduction in cost because I’ve a small family guild and opening rooms is neigh on impossible,

I do understand that it is mainly for larger active guilds, so I’m not going to get upset if they don’t do.

But you have my support if you want too :D

I’m not going to lie. I would love a reduction in cost because I’ve a small family guild and opening rooms is neigh on impossible,

I do understand that it is mainly for larger active guilds, so I’m not going to get upset if they don’t do.

But you have my support if you want too :D

Same. It takes me 5.5 weeks to get one framework. I'm not going to complain if they make that easier, but if they don't then I'll just keep plugging along. Won't be too long before I can open a room. Only, like, 4.5 months.

I am sorry but isn't this the same argument as:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=965535

They can't make guild ship unlocks so cheap that solo guilds, or guilds with like 5-10 people can have unlocks for practically no cost, when since the ships have been launched, everyone has had to save and work to pay the existing price. They lowered the cost of the ship by like 32 million, I think that is extremely helpful to people that have "small guilds". I mean now what, they are suppose to make unlock prices so low as to provide for the lowest common denominator?

What about the people that saved, and worked their asses off to get the credits to open unlocks? I guess they are just out of luck huh?

This argument is the same exact thing as the link above, how it is conquest is unfair etc etc...

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

/agreed.

I am sorry but isn't this the same argument as:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=965535

They can't make guild ship unlocks so cheap that solo guilds, or guilds with like 5-10 people can have unlocks for practically no cost, when since the ships have been launched, everyone has had to save and work to pay the existing price. They lowered the cost of the ship by like 32 million, I think that is extremely helpful to people that have "small guilds". I mean now what, they are suppose to make unlock prices so low as to provide for the lowest common denominator?

What about the people that saved, and worked their asses off to get the credits to open unlocks? I guess they are just out of luck huh?

This argument is the same exact thing as the link above, how it is conquest is unfair etc etc...

Argument A:

• I want the same benefits, and to receive the same rewards for doing less work all on my own that others have to either work with others to acquire or do the work of several people to acquire on their own.

Argument B:

• The process for acquiring an item from a specific guild activity for a specific guild purpose is quite a bit grindy. I think the need for that item should be removed so that specific guild purpose is more streamlined, benefiting all guilds.

Yep, totally the same argument.

Well.

I bought my ship for private use Ooooo 4 years ago or so.

Since then, I've unlocked ZERO rooms.

Not due to the 5 mill cost, simply due to NO Frameworks.

With the change to CQ I've invaded small planets for a month now and with some effort I made the 170K goal.

I know it's not HARD, point is, for it the have any value you want as many BLUE as you can get that means get 1 to 15K log off said char and REPEAT.

Now that's NOT fun what so ever.

Last week I did 16 of them, fun hell no, I did it this week too, but for me that's IT!!!!!

Soon my free time is up and work comes along, Family, RL things that needs to be done.

Playing this game just to cap as many char as you can for the REMOTE possibility to one day open a room........

4 years later I have 2 Purple, 1 was a gift many years ago, and around 80 Blue ones.

That means I will shy 60 Blue for ONE single room, and that's not much to write home about.

They need either make us an option to get the frameworks we need in another way or simple have them removed in 6.0.

The money sink is still there 75 mill for the ship unless they change that.

To me that's good reason as money sink as any.

Actually a small guild can just buy the frameworks on the GTN, thus making it yet another needed credit sink.

How is Moving money from one char to another char a money sink ???????????????

Beside that totally wrong logic explain to us with apparent less IQ how 1 room can be worth 400+ Mill to unlock ?

More so, what you just said so if I shell out 400 mill on GTN that money is gone form the game then ???.

WE both now it's a NO!

How is Moving money from one char to another char a money sink ???????????????

Beside that totally wrong logic explain to us with apparent less IQ how 1 room can be worth 400+ Mill to unlock ?

More so, what you just said so if I shell out 400 mill on GTN that money is gone form the game then ???.

WE both now it's a NO!

The rooms are priced so that a guild has to work together to unlock it. when 20-30 people donate credits, it is only usually about a month for a semi active guild to save that amount of credits. There are a number of tutorials on this forum and other sites on how to make credits. The credit sink is not for purchasing from GTN, it is from the cost of the unlock.

Not everything is meant to be handed to you, some things you have to work together for, and achieve the goal. There is also a few ways to get those plans then purchasing them. Meeting conquest goals, hunting officers, Operations just to name a few.

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt