Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

Sorcerers or Snipers 4PvP

TrumpetNut

Hey so based on personal experience which is better? Madness sorc or Marksmanship sniper? Both are good ranged classes I think in PvP and both get targeted alot as well.I know that the sorc has better utility healing capabilities and lastly they have force pull XD! Put your opinion(s) here! Thank you! Edited by TrumpetNut

Thank you for the answers. So my sniper and sage are both level 14 right now so even level. I find that shooting people with a sniper rifle has more oomph to it then just lightning lightning etc but What is good about each one? I know that sniper HAS to be dps and sorc can do both. and doesnt sorc have lots of area buffs and such? So what is good about BOTH? I want a list of

Sorc

Sniper

Thank you for the answers. So my sniper and sage are both level 14 right now so even level. I find that shooting people with a sniper rifle has more oomph to it then just lightning lightning etc but What is good about each one? I know that sniper HAS to be dps and sorc can do both. and doesnt sorc have lots of area buffs and such? So what is good about BOTH? I want a list of

Sorc

Until you get bubble stun you are hampton pig hostage. Kite away until you are rooted to death.

Sniper

Cover will keep the lightstick jump monkeys off you, right now you are the class to put them down. Go into cover, shoot away, knockback, root, and kill. (Flash bang and move back if you can not drop him before he gets to you again).

If your going to play a sorc your pretty much have to play a healer. Personally, I found dps sorc rather useless. You only have a chance if you play a a dot or some hybrid spec that has the least casting involved. Playing lightning or the sage equivalent is worst than commando pvp. Your super squish while you sit there casting ability that screams interrupt me or knock me back, then you can start casting again and again get interrupted or knock back. As a dot or hybrid spec you live longer, but you need to run away from classes and if melee aren't stupid and know what they are doing you won't get far assuming equal gear.

As for sniper it's a good spec against any melee. Most melee will not want to fight you and in some cases they ignore you. This is only what I found in pvp using the random pvp queue. Once you get gear you hit pretty hard if a melee is hitting on a geared healer and you have all your cd you can probably kill the healer. Smart healers will los, but if they get a melee on them plus you they won't last long. As for glow bats will dislike you especially sentinels. I get extra satisfaction each time I kill a gear sentinel.

I say level both and have fun with both classes. I have both, but the gear grind is annoying so I only really play on my sniper cause she has gear and I don't feel like finishing the bm grind on sage plus wh grind. Perhaps with the 1.6 changes I might play my sage again.

some complain but i think snipers ar ein a good place.

there dmg and burst is amazing and what they trade in a lack of mobility they gain in their cover making them immune to charge interrupts and grapples

seeing as poertechs and swith warriors are running rampant this gives snipers a huge advantage

1v1 a sniper is a great counter to these classes

heads up a sniper should blow a sorc out of the water if no LOS is involved

Damage-> sniper

survivability->sniper

mobility->sorc

team pvp helpfullness-> sorc

healing->sorc (snipers have none)

so if u want to just be pure ranged dps a sniper is the way to go... to me the cover system and class itself is boring and clunky but some people like it

ill continue my squishy and weak sorc

The gear looks amazing on snipers too. If you get the right sniper rifle and gear looks like how a sniper should look like. I can't say that sage or sorc can match the sniper gear wardrobe. We even get these cool looking shades or that look like shades as our helmet for bm gear.

You will want to play them both eventually. Sorc is versatile, highly mobile, it excels in heals and utility. DPS wise, you are pretty much limited to madness and some madness hybrids. Lightning is a pure joke, and currently even worse than Arsenal mercs. So for damage you are a ranged DoT class highly mobile, good constant damage but limited burst.

You will not kill tanks as a sorc. Those few internal damage dots are not enough to bring him down. And you will most probably not be a healer killer. Regardless of any spec you play, force leaping monkeys will always be on the look for you. Get ready to be jumped, rooted, then before you can escape a second monkey jump on you and root you again.

Sniper is the only true Ranged DPS class in SWTOR. Anything else that can shoot at 30m, is not viable for PvP or can be simply killed by a sniper themselves. And what it is great about snipers, is that against them, melee classes are actually melee and they atually have to walk. Don't listen to all those ignorant people saying that cover mechanics sucks. Mercs, Sorcs, would kill to be able to cast uninterrupted, without pushback, without being pulled or leaped to.

mobility->sorc

Sniper does not always mean MM spec. Lethality and Engineering spec Snipers are incredibly mobile, and Lethality does scary damage. I do so much in WZs that I oftentimes start one and have 4 people jump me 10 seconds in. Sure, I die in WZs but my kill/death ratio is still very nice unless I'm sacrificing myself to stop a node cap or some such thing.

I've played DPS sage but not a sorc and'll let them comment. From playing with or against them I can just say that some kick A and most don't. I prefer sniper, and currently use MM. (Have an engineering/saboteur GS and don't want to play a tree mirror atm.)

MM snipers: Excellent range and defense in cover, orbital strike and other tools = no cap for red team, ridiculous burst damage, easy energy management, and if you know what you're doing and don't panic can kill most anyone attacking you. But anyone is singular, unless CDs and other factors are in your favor expect to get trashed if a few pile on you or you get mobbed while out of cover. In huttball don't expect to be a carrier, but you can do a lot to make sure whoever is has a clear path and do relay or touchdowns on occasion.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I have to say both have their merits I have them both. I started with a sorc as my first toon and loved it. Moved to another server and have a sniper lethality and yeah its fun rather mobile, played marksmanship was good too plenty of aoe and dps. But its lighting! its just cooler yes can be interrupted for sure and casting is a problem but ive just started a new sorc and i love it. im face rolling noobs at the min but I also pvp with friends that can play so that is also a huge bonus. Our team is a jug,sniper and 2 sorcs im dps and mate is healer. So id say do them both over time and enjoy them as you see fit, its all personal taste. I have a full pimped out war hero Jug and shes a beast but again its not everyone's taste.

strait up markmanship<everything else. The only class that posses a threat in a 1v1 fight is a tactics vanguard (if you attack first)

why? MM is quite well balanced and it's not overpowered the way you describe it. There are plenty of specs in this game that can counter it. Tanks feel quite safe against it. Assassins all specs, Ops all specs, Madness sorcs. Advance prototype PT might have a decent chance, but it's not a 100% win for PT. An MM sniper can just stun/mezz the AP for the duration of hydraulic overrides.

strait up markmanship<everything else. The only class that posses a threat in a 1v1 fight is a tactics vanguard (if you attack first)

Sorry, but MM Snipers are idiot-killers. That's about it. If they're against a team with even two good stealthers or a few decent players, they're toast. MM has to crouch constantly (with a huge red/blue light that screams 'I'M RIGHT HERE, KILL ME!') and have to deal with cast times. A decent team will mark them and toast them as fast as they do healers.

The only time I die to a MM Sniper is when I'm either not paying attention or focus too much on one person. And yes, there are some people I want dead so badly I'm willing to die in the process, as long as they go down with me.

dude, from a player that played equally all sniper specs, lethality sniper is free kill for any zerg and for any bursty class, and cannot do crap against healers.

Funny, I have an 8:1 or higher kill:death ration on a consistent basis on my Lethality Sniper and I take down healers often enough to get a mass beatdown when they see me. As for being a 'free kill' I call BS. Lethality Snipers are more mobile than MM spec and if they want to hang out on a platform or whatever, they can. The 'free kill' Snipers are those of us that jump into the thick of things meaning said Snipers are either idiots or very determined.

Funny, I have an 8:1 or higher kill:death ration on a consistent basis on my Lethality Sniper and I take down healers often enough to get a mass beatdown when they see me. As for being a 'free kill' I call BS. Lethality Snipers are more mobile than MM spec and if they want to hang out on a platform or whatever, they can. The 'free kill' Snipers are those of us that jump into the thick of things meaning said Snipers are either idiots or very determined.

Some sort of Lethality truths:

1: If you are doing very well with lethality in a match, it's not because of you, but because of the team mates that keep your opponents busy so you can DPS at will.

2. If you get a lot of kills with lethality, it's not because of you, but because the enemy team lacks healers, and especially op healers.

3. If you win many 1vs1 duels in a match with lethality, it's not because of you but because of the enemy players that cannot fight you on their own terms.

Tell me, what do you take, Ballistic dampers or 110 energy? Without BD, Pyros will love sticking that bomb onto you, as well as any other burst class bullying you.

All this lethality mobility, oh come on, i bet your butt that MM can do more damage while mobile than leth. Why? Because MM got every 6sec snapshot snipes + FT, and more powerful Takedown than yours. What can leth do while mobile? walk arround and throw DoTs? No Cull? No kill. You have to stop moving if you actually want to kill.

And lets not forget about leaping glowstick monkeys and harpoon boys that would love to see you walking naked on the catwalks.

Yeah I can do 200-350K more damage with leth than with MM 35/3/3 spec, but those are just big numbers, they dont exactly mean that i was able to kill that elusive healer, or burst some ball carrying sorc.

Edited by NoTomorrow

I agree with NoTomorrow.

For 1 vs 1 Lethality is not nearly as strong as the 2 other specs.

The added mobility might be true, but when moving around you are not using the strongest ability of your class, uninteruptable and cant be charged. So although Lethaility for sure has potential to get highest dps of the 3 specs, its still the worst for PvP in my opinion aswell.

When talking Sniper vs Sorc, I think the current ability to respec in wz, makes the sorc tempting to bring. Being able to respec to healer in defense for voidstar or after 2 nodes have been capped in either novare or civil is very annoying for other team.

Some sort of Lethality truths:

1: If you are doing very well with lethality in a match, it's not because of you, but because of the team mates that keep your opponents busy so you can DPS at will.

2. If you get a lot of kills with lethality, it's not because of you, but because the enemy team lacks healers, and especially op healers.

3. If you win many 1vs1 duels in a match with lethality, it's not because of you but because of the enemy players that cannot fight you on their own terms.

Tell me, what do you take, Ballistic dampers or 110 energy? Without BD, Pyros will love sticking that bomb onto you, as well as any other burst class bullying you.

All this lethality mobility, oh come on, i bet your butt that MM can do more damage while mobile than leth. Why? Because MM got every 6sec snapshot snipes + FT, and more powerful Takedown than yours. What can leth do while mobile? walk arround and throw DoTs? No Cull? No kill. You have to stop moving if you actually want to kill.

And lets not forget about leaping glowstick monkeys and harpoon boys that would love to see you walking naked on the catwalks.

Yeah I can do 200-350K more damage with leth than with MM 35/3/3 spec, but those are just big numbers, they dont exactly mean that i was able to kill that elusive healer, or burst some ball carrying sorc.

What? I've hit 1 million with lethality on voidstar in a ranked match. It was 1050dps or some such. MM can dream of that, but I've only ever hit 750dps as a high. Cull with corrosive, dart, and weakening up is the single highest 3 second burst in the game comparable to a full ravage/gore. Beyond that you end up boosting your energy regen by 100% in a sustained fight and each dot will do roughly 4-5k before it's removed. It's fantastic single target that is better then MM against all targets, the aoe is just incidental.

I'll grant you that MM is a lot easier to play optimally though.

Edited by Ryvirath

What? I've hit 1 million with lethality on voidstar in a ranked match. It was 1050dps or some such. MM can dream of that, but I've only ever hit 750dps as a high. Cull with corrosive, dart, and weakening up is the single highest 3 second burst in the game comparable to a full ravage/gore. Beyond that you end up boosting your energy regen by 100% in a sustained fight and each dot will do roughly 4-5k before it's removed. It's fantastic single target that is better then MM against all targets, the aoe is just incidental.

I'll grant you that MM is a lot easier to play optimally though.

pls read more careful, i said 350K MORE damage than MM, not 350 k damage.

As I said, lethality is all about big numbers, I can reach those damage just as well against a team of idiots alone or against good players having my tanksin friend guarding my butt while i get heals. Without support, you are toast. And you will not be able to carry your team alone.

As for Cull damage, i would hesitate to make such assertions. A single force shroud will remove it all. Cull itself can deliver up to ~7500 total damage in pvp, if not counting for CD and CG poisons ticking at the same time during cull channeling. And you need all this set up, while ambush, ft and takedown alone can often crit beyond 5k mark easily.

Edited by NoTomorrow

The added mobility might be true, but when moving around you are not using the strongest ability of your class, uninteruptable and cant be charged. So although Lethaility for sure has potential to get highest dps of the 3 specs, its still the worst for PvP in my opinion aswell.

I recently respecced my Op for heals. Up until about 3 days ago, from the start of the game, I was concealment.

On paper, yes, MM may do some nice damage and the cover ability is nice. And against many classes it is. But in reality, it makes you very, very open to getting ganked by stealthers. In fact, that was my specialty. So NoTomorrow can sit there and say Lethality sucks and can't do jack on their own, they suck 1v1, etc but I know how well they play first hand. MOST may suck, but not all. It also seems that people ignore Debilitate, Flash Bang and Leg Shot. Melee 1v1 sure, Lethality will go down, but don't dismiss the tools a Sniper has as a whole.

pls read more careful, i said 350K MORE damage than MM, not 350 k damage.

As I said, lethality is all about big numbers, I can reach those damage just as well against a team of idiots alone or against good players having my tanksin friend guarding my butt while i get heals. Without support, you are toast. And you will not be able to carry your team alone.

As for Cull damage, i would hesitate to make such assertions. A single force shroud will remove it all. Cull itself can deliver up to ~7500 total damage in pvp, if not counting for CD and CG poisons ticking at the same time during cull channeling. And you need all this set up, while ambush, ft and takedown alone can often crit beyond 5k mark easily.

An equally geared target with just the sage buff for damage reduction will get critted for 1100 on the tick if you are geared for the cull. Crit rating of 50% assumes 1 in every 2 ticks crits. A full cull gets 12 ticks then the weapon damage which is not insubstantial. You are looking at 10k at least against nearly any target that isn't blowing their defensive CDs and a maximum possible of 18k.

Lethailty is great, it will put ALOT of pressure on enemy healers and Cull is really strong for burst and on a short CD.

Im engineer but, but I would in fact love to play lethality for rated, since Engineer relies to much on explosive probe for burst (30 sec cd).

Lethality and Marksman for me simply offers to little protection. To really get numbers rolling as Lethality you need to stay alive. For me, the tree itself has nothing to offer survivability wise. If i go rated as Lethality im gonna have to reapply my DoT's every time i die, and I get focussed quite abit, often taking same or more dmg than healers. If my team dominated most Rated games I think id spec Lethality for sure.

If playing Marksman and Engineer you can always burst. You dont have to go through 3 GCD's to get of your main dmg ability, which for me is the main reason why I cant use lethality in rated on ToFN. I simply dont ever get the peace and quite to run around DoT'ing people up.