Issue in The Esseles Flashpoint **spolier**

Hello,

I ran my smuggler through the Esseles for the first time with 2 other characters.

During some coversations (spolier) in particular the one in engineering where you could open the bridge via turning 3 things off or by simply flushing out the engineering crew through some kind of "reset".

Myself and 1 other party member chose to save the crew and the other guy chose to flush them out. Well, they were flushed out. So there storyline continues down this path and another moral choice is required about the ambassador whether to leave her behind or to save her from the imperials.

Again, myself and 1 other (same other guy) chose to save her and the other guy chose to leave her behind. Again, we were trumped and she was left behind.

So now back on the ship, we are strung along down this path against our will and now I have the title of Backstabber even though I did not choose this....

Now this has to be a complicated issue for Bioware to get around as you have many choices. But should players who chose to do one thing be dragged down a totally different choice against there wishes? Luckily my light and dark side were not affected, but astecially, I think this kind of takes away from the gameplay of players who make 1 choice and are being trumped due to a choice of another party member.

Anyone else experience this issue ? I'm sure this is going ot happen down the road in other flashpoints / heroics. What are your feelings about it?

Edited by Parali

Hello,

I ran my smuggler through the Esseles for the first time with 2 other characters. During some coversations (spolier) in particular the one in engineering where you could open the bridge via turning 3 things off or by simply flushing out the engineering crew through some kind of "reset".

Myself and 1 other party member chose to save the crew and the other guy chose to flush them out. Well, they were flushed out. So there storyline continues down this path and another moral choice is required about the ambassador whether to leave her behind or to save her from the imperials.

Again, myself and 1 other (same other guy) chose to save her and the other guy chose to leave her behind. Again, we were trumped and she was left behind.

So now back on the ship, we are strung along down this path against our will and now I have the title of Backstabber even though I did not choose this....

Now this has to be a complicated issue for Bioware to get around as you have many choices. But should players who chose to do one thing be dragged down a totally different choice against there wishes? Luckily my light and dark side were not affected, but astecially, I think this kind of takes away from the gameplay of players who make 1 choice and are being trumped due to a choice of another party member.

Anyone else experience this issue ? I'm sure this is going ot happen down the road in other flashpoints / heroics. What are your feelings about it?

Im going to have to agree with you on this.When two of you make the same choice an one makes the oppisite choice,the two choices should trump.

Im still trying to figure this system out.Seeing posts like this brings light to dark places.

Also this makes not want to group in this game and it also makes me not want to group for heroics.I dont like it when my destiny is in other peoples hands for future destination.Its kindof like rideing in a car with sombody,not driving the car yourself,which means you have put your destiny/life in sombody elses hands to make the right choices so you get from point A to point B safely.

Id rather be in control of my own desiny/future and choices related to that.

This is why we are seeing some people ask if this is really a MMO,or is this just a single player online game.

You still get your points based on your choice, but the actual conversation is dictated by who wins the conversation rolls and get to have their say. It is the fairest way of solving the issue when it comes to dialogue with multiple players.

Hello there!

We ask that story discussions outside of the Spoilers forum be wrapped in spoiler tags. You may do this by putting [noparse]

[/noparse] at the beginning of your text and [noparse]

[/noparse] at the end! Your result will look like this:

this is an example of hidden text with spoiler tags!

We've edited the OP to put in spoiler tags. Thanks everyone!

I think this is fine, and actually enables you to see both directions of the story

without compromising yourself, since the flashpoints are repeatable.

And if it's such a problem for you, you could always just look for "LS/DS only" when building your flashpoint party.

If you want to know how it's decided, notice in the bottom left. You can see the roll results there.

I don't know why people take the Dark Side option with the crew. You miss out on one of the Lore things in the mission then. And you get less EXP and less loot. I guess if you are a kind of cold-hearted character...

Well, I don't have a problem with this.

It really is the way the world works, you know. "Against my will" is a tad bit laughable.

You will do many things against your will in life, because that is the way society works. For instance, I hate wearing my seatbelt, and I have my own proof that not wearing it can also save your life as well, and that it should be a personal decision. But society has decided for me that I must wear it or have to pay a steep fine. A very unimportant example, but still an example.

The whole world isn't about you, though it is important that you participate in the world. Get over your "specialness" and learn how to interact and accept the things in front of you with dignity and class.

/life lecture over :D

Don't see this as an issue at all. This aspect of the game has been known for awhile. It doesn't affect anyone's LS/DS points. If you don't want to use the title, then don't. How is that possibly an issue? If you don't want to participate in group stories, then don't run flashpoints as you can level just fine without them. To me, it keeps the flashpoints fresher when the story can change. I ran it with my DS smuggler and 3 Jedi. Even though they voted LS for the points, they kept rooting for me to win the roles because they wanted to see the DS actions in the story. I lost all those rolls and we had a good laugh about it. It's a fun aspect of the game and it's not going to change as this story feature was one of the main things the game was built around.

If you want to know how it's decided, notice in the bottom left. You can see the roll results there.

I don't know why people take the Dark Side option with the crew. You miss out on one of the Lore things in the mission then. And you get less EXP and less loot. I guess if you are a kind of cold-hearted character...

Well, I realize that since you can do these flashpoints over and over again, its a way to grind rep for companions and light/dark for your toon. I just wish when grouping, the storyline choices would not be so adverse to your choice made.

With that said, its always possible to just do it again and hope the dialogue wheel is in line with the rest of the group giving you the result that you expected....interesting dilemna here. Not sure how I feel about it though...

Put yourself in the shoes of your character.

What would your character do if that person in your group who made that dark-side decision just ran to the control panel and hit that button that killed all those people?

My character would probably smash him to unconsciousness with the butt of his rifle and turn him in to the authorities for trial and arrest.

However, since that's not an option and your groupmates are untouchable, the second-best course of action would be to leave the group. If the person making the decisions turns out to be a dark-side murderer, just get the heck out of there.

You can always start the flashpoint over with another group in order to have a 'canon' experience.

Well, I realize that since you can do these flashpoints over and over again, its a way to grind rep for companions and light/dark for your toon. I just wish when grouping, the storyline choices would not be so adverse to your choice made.

With that said, its always possible to just do it again and hope the dialogue wheel is in line with the rest of the group giving you the result that you expected....interesting dilemna here. Not sure how I feel about it though...

Ok, a bit of warning for you. Some quests, which aren't repeatable, have different endings based upon the conversation choice. While I love the idea, some people may not. If you quest in a group, part of that is knowing that you won't always get the result you are asking for. You will get your own light or dark side points, however.

Well, I don't have a problem with this.

It really is the way the world works, you know. "Against my will" is a tad bit laughable.

You will do many things against your will in life, because that is the way society works. For instance, I hate wearing my seatbelt, and I have my own proof that not wearing it can also save your life as well, and that it should be a personal decision. But society has decided for me that I must wear it or have to pay a steep fine. A very unimportant example, but still an example.

The whole world isn't about you, though it is important that you participate in the world. Get over your "specialness" and learn how to interact and accept the things in front of you with dignity and class.

/life lecture over :D

I guess I should expect a post like this. No, this is not about me, myself and I. This is a simple observation about gameplay and nothing more. It just seems a little weird that the majority choose one thing and the storyline is decided by a random role. That was my point.

Because some people play the game for fun and not to agonize over XP and loot. There's already enough XP out there to over-level planets if you do all the content and there is so much loot that you end up swimming in loot.

Personally, I find that 90% of the players on Republic choose Light-side options and 90% of the players on Empire choose the Dark-side ones. So you won't be waiting long.

It's a lot more frustrating trying to see the dark-side stuff on Republic. It took me 8 or 9 runs of Esseles to see what happens when you make the two big dark-side decisions.

Put yourself in the shoes of your character.

What would your character do if that person in your group who made that dark-side decision just ran to the control panel and hit that button that killed all those people?

My character would probably smash him to unconsciousness with the butt of his rifle and turn him in to the authorities for trial and arrest.

However, since that's not an option and your groupmates are untouchable, the second-best course of action would be to leave the group. If the person making the decisions turns out to be a dark-side murderer, just get the heck out of there.

You can always start the flashpoint over with another group in order to have a 'canon' experience.

Yes I believe in your 1st 2 paragraphs you get exactly what I mean. I would not leave the group because of it though. I would see it through out of respect for the people I am playing with. But thanks for getting my point.

Yes I believe in your 1st 2 paragraphs you get exactly what I mean. I would not leave the group because of it though. I would see it through out of respect for the people I am playing with. But thanks for getting my point.

I disagree with your issue but you seem to be an alright fella. Thanks for not ditching even though you're not getting exactly what you want. :)

Personally, I find that 90% of the players on Republic choose Light-side options and 90% of the players on Empire choose the Dark-side ones. So you won't be waiting long.

It's a lot more frustrating trying to see the dark-side stuff on Republic. It took me 8 or 9 runs of Esseles to see what happens when you make the two big dark-side decisions.

Yeah carnac, you are right about this. But I personally feel that if you want to see more DS, its probably best rolling a dark side character.

Yeah carnac, you are right about this. But I personally feel that if you want to see more DS, its probably best rolling a dark side character.

You can't roll a dark side character. Every character on both factions starts right in the middle between the two alignments. You roll either Republic or Empire, and then you choose whether to be Light or Dark.

As you progress through the game, you'll meet evil characters who are part of the Republic, and good characters who are part of the Empire.

There's a ton of content on the Republic side that can only be seen by a dark-side character, and it's the same for light-side characters on the Empire side.

It's totally valid to make a dark-side character on Republic and a light-side character on Empire.

Edited by carnac_fett

I was afraid a post like this would crop up. Look - most of my characters are light side. It is very difficult for me to roll a dark side character.

But the first time I ran Esseles - I choose to save the engineers; while another individual choose to kill them.

I LOVED the choices and even though I didn't have my way - the element of "What's Going to Happen Next?!" made the entire instance AMAZING!.

So - I really hope that BioWare doesn't listen to the minority here. This isn't about someone ruining you're game - its about giving everyone a fair shake at making decisions. I cannot tell you how many times I've been through Esseles trying to make the Dark Side decisions, and the three lightsiders I am with make it impossible for me to see the impact of my choices.

I've never once left the Ambassador behind - I wouldn't mind seeing what happens if I did . . .

Edited by Jesseria