Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

TACeMossie
07.20.2014 , 09:45 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by KevMeup View Post
I did 200k dps on operations boss with both, exact same gear. Yuun did spike to 1000 once, but otherwise he was a steady 960, dot spec. Armor pen spec is lower.
Eh 200k dps still can be prone to lucky/unlucky crits. I've gotten as high as 3.52k dps as tactics, but with the same gear as low as 3k dps, on a 1 mill hp dummy. And that was with the exact same number of attacks every time
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf

KevMeup
07.20.2014 , 11:22 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by TACeMossie View Post
Eh 200k dps still can be prone to lucky/unlucky crits. I've gotten as high as 3.52k dps as tactics, but with the same gear as low as 3k dps, on a 1 mill hp dummy. And that was with the exact same number of attacks every time
It's enough to show the bug is gone
Kevgent - <Show Me Your Crits> - The Harbinger
My companion parses over 5k dps in HM Star Fortress, does yours?
Companion Use and Optimization Guide

PariahRonin
08.01.2014 , 11:49 AM | #33
How would you gear them differently, (if at all) for pvp over pve content?

Nenomitrosis
08.04.2014 , 02:06 AM | #34
I have a question. Since Alacrity decreases global and normal cooldowns, wouldn't make sense to compare it with the other augments, since bringing a 10% faster actions from a full augmented gear could mean a difference with the power DR augments
Reality doesn't care if you believe it

TACeMossie
08.04.2014 , 03:36 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Nenomitrosis View Post
I have a question. Since Alacrity decreases global and normal cooldowns, wouldn't make sense to compare it with the other augments, since bringing a 10% faster actions from a full augmented gear could mean a difference with the power DR augments
Well considering a lot of companion attacks are its auto attacks, this actually might be a valid point!
I might swap all of HK51's surge enhancements with Advanced Quick Savant Enhancement 34s if this ends up being the case (BiS for ultimates FTW!)
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf

eartharioch
08.26.2014 , 03:27 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by KevMeup View Post
This guide should be a good starting point for people who want to get more out of their companions. If you have any more suggestions or comments let me know.

Updates:
July 20th 2014: Swapped Tank aug priority. Shield > Absorb.

For Tanks (If you're not healing):
Endurance
Absorb
Shield
(Optional) Defense up to 300
Augments: Fortitude > Shield > Absorb.
Can you explain this? If you want more absorb, why are you recommending to use Shield augments? I know that Shield and Absorb don't compete and that Absorb competes with Defense, so as long as we're using tanking mods and enhancements, the mods will be absorb or defense and the enhancements will always be shield plus either absorb or defense. So the only way to prioritize Absorb over Shield (as you say to do) is with augments, which is what you say not to do.

I'm at endgame and can make any augments, so I was going to go with all Fortitude, so this may not matter. But since augments don't drop [anymore], and we can control what we buy, I can't tell if you are actually suggesting maybe not to use all Fortitude, unless you are thinking people might want to share gear with a character tank, and that in that case, since Fortitude will hopefully not be an option, to go for shield over absorb.

In my case, I am an operative using SCORPIO as tank, which means I can't share gear (I'm cunning, she's aim, so we can't share, and she's a Droid, so I can't share with other characters). Is there any reason not to use all Fortitude augs?
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!
This is not my referral link

KevMeup
10.09.2014 , 06:11 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Nenomitrosis View Post
Alacrity is not as useful for companions as it is to a character. 1st is because they don't have an energy pool like players, that bonus doesn't help them. 2nd is unlike players they don't get any tree bonuses for alacrity. I would imagine swapping out Overload Augs(BiS for dps comps) to Alacrity would give you a drop in dps. To get to 10% alacrity on a companion you would need to give up surge all together (instead of 400) and Accuracy (420-600) both of which would drop your dps noticeably.

That being said... If you have extra gear, toss it on, a 180 piece with the less optimal stats will often perform better than 168 with the right ones since it's 2 levels higher (174s are in between).

KevMeup
10.09.2014 , 06:26 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
Can you explain this? If you want more absorb, why are you recommending to use Shield augments? .... Is there any reason not to use all Fortitude augs?
If you skip defense all together, you'll have a very high absorb. This means every point of shield you add will be magnified by that absorb. The 2 play well together and you're likely to already be getting some diminishing returns on absorb when it's that high, so shield might get you a bit more mileage than defense or more absorb.

Fortitude is never a bad choice for a tank comp, if you're healing it during the fights, additional defensive stats will reduce how much healing you need to do and let you heal through some tougher damage, fortitude will buy you wiggle room for trash pulls and is a better choice if you're not keeping her topped off during the fight.

I hope that they adjust tank companions when 3.0 comes out, since 2.0 they've been pretty lack luster and I prefer Vector or HK on my operative. I really miss fighting with Scorpio by my side.

svenbu
10.12.2014 , 02:36 PM | #39
Hi - thanks for this guide. Was looking for something like this for a while.
I've got a question regarding tank comp. Let's take Treek as an example:
Well as far as I understand Aim (Treek), Endurance, Shield, Absorb, Defence are the most important attributes.
Endurance, Aim = no diminishing - so give it all you can
Defence = max. 300 points
The rest is to put in Absorb and Shield. (in a 50/50 ratio)

Is that somewhat correct - without taking it too serious?

Thanks,
S.

KevMeup
10.13.2014 , 01:36 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by svenbu View Post
Hi - thanks for this guide. Was looking for something like this for a while.
I've got a question regarding tank comp. Let's take Treek as an example:
Well as far as I understand Aim (Treek), Endurance, Shield, Absorb, Defence are the most important attributes.
Endurance, Aim = no diminishing - so give it all you can
Defence = max. 300 points
The rest is to put in Absorb and Shield. (in a 50/50 ratio)

Is that somewhat correct - without taking it too serious?

Thanks,
S.
You got it.

Might as well make yourself a Power Tech (or Vangard) Tank set and put everything in legacy gear for Treek. That way you can toss it to any of your Treeks or use yourself later. A player uses more defense but overall it won't matter much.