Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The 5.10 Gear Changes Don't Work. Devs, Don't Be Stubborn.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The 5.10 Gear Changes Don't Work. Devs, Don't Be Stubborn.

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
01.16.2019 , 01:33 PM | #1
Most of the time I am supportive of Bioware and try to spread positivity about the game and its direction. But not today and not now. Even though I personally am not that bothered by the gear grind, I am in a minority in regards to that as the majority of the players is highly unsatisfied with the 5.10 gearing changes.

Therefore, I am appealing to the devs directly through this thread: don't be stubborn. Let your initial idea for the 5.10 gear changes go, there is no merit in buckling down in your belief that you are correct or that this is what the playerbase needs. Because it isn't, this isn't what the players want or need.

Don't presume to speak for the players, listen to them instead. Jedi Under Siege could have been a great update if it hadn't been for the gear grind you have introduced (yes I know, the bugs ruined a lot as well). You have made changes that will work detrimentally to the playerbase and therefore I beg you: put your own wants aside and please listen to the playerbase. Put aside what you want to see implemented into the game and listen to what the players are telling you they'd like to see in regards to gearing.

Please, don't be stubborn.
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.

RobertFKennedyUS's Avatar


RobertFKennedyUS
01.16.2019 , 02:16 PM | #2
Personally I like the new gear in that it makes clearing old Nightmare operations content easier to clear. I suspect many others feel the same way, but would be too hesitant to say so out of fear of being called a sh***er.

Could you make the case for why you say the 5.10 gear changes don't work? I'll admit I don't regularly read the forums, but if you're going to call for changes, shouldn't you have already made the case as to what is so bad about the 5.10 gear changes? It would be like me saying: change the laws on vehicle certification, they suck, everyone knows their bad, don't be stubborn and then I never actually say what's wrong with them.

Really bad form, IMO.
Undo the tank nerf. Find a different way to deal with skank tanks in warzones. The tank nerf really sucks.

AscendingSky's Avatar


AscendingSky
01.16.2019 , 02:35 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Most of the time I am supportive of Bioware and try to spread positivity about the game and its direction. But not today and not now. Even though I personally am not that bothered by the gear grind, I am in a minority in regards to that as the majority of the players is highly unsatisfied with the 5.10 gearing changes.

Therefore, I am appealing to the devs directly through this thread: don't be stubborn. Let your initial idea for the 5.10 gear changes go, there is no merit in buckling down in your belief that you are correct or that this is what the playerbase needs. Because it isn't, this isn't what the players want or need.

Don't presume to speak for the players, listen to them instead. Jedi Under Siege could have been a great update if it hadn't been for the gear grind you have introduced (yes I know, the bugs ruined a lot as well). You have made changes that will work detrimentally to the playerbase and therefore I beg you: put your own wants aside and please listen to the playerbase. Put aside what you want to see implemented into the game and listen to what the players are telling you they'd like to see in regards to gearing.

Please, don't be stubborn.
We went through this same issue with the initial rollout of Galactic Command back in the Ben "RNG is EXCITING!!!!!" Irving days. It took a bunch of people unsubscribing to make EA stop doubling down and start making changes. Unfortunately I expect it would take a similar subscriber exodus to produce the same effect here. EA has proven time and again they don't care about what players say on the forums or how enjoyable their game actually is to play, only about their income flow.
#FixConquest
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
01.16.2019 , 04:11 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by RobertFKennedyUS View Post
Personally I like the new gear in that it makes clearing old Nightmare operations content easier to clear. I suspect many others feel the same way, but would be too hesitant to say so out of fear of being called a sh***er.

Could you make the case for why you say the 5.10 gear changes don't work? I'll admit I don't regularly read the forums, but if you're going to call for changes, shouldn't you have already made the case as to what is so bad about the 5.10 gear changes? It would be like me saying: change the laws on vehicle certification, they suck, everyone knows their bad, don't be stubborn and then I never actually say what's wrong with them.

Really bad form, IMO.
Before you get all judgemental, here is a link to a thread that voiced the thoughts and feelings of the community in regards to the new gear changes that Jedi Under Siege introduced: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=957755

I didn't mention them in the OP because by now majority of the forum posters know what players find wrong with the changes. It shows you haven't been reading the forums.

As I said in the OP, I personally have no large issues, but I am in a minority in regards to that. What do players criticise? It's another gear grind. We just finished the Galactic Command grind and now we are thrown into yet another one.

On top of that, the gear mods and enhancements are bound to their gear piece category. You want to minmax? Too bad! The mods and enhancements in leg pieces can only be put into leg pieces.

I have seen PvP players complain as well that they are forced to do PvE content in order to get their gear up to date for Ranked and Unranked warzones so as to stay competitive.

I don't know the list of criticism by heart, there's been too many discussions and threads about it on the forums. But I am absolutely convinced others will chime in and fill in the list.

The massive amount of criticism the gearing changes in 5.10 have received are proof that they don't work, they proof that players are unhappy with it. Had you bothered to read up on some of the threads you would have known what people were talking about.
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.

NecroMayre's Avatar


NecroMayre
01.16.2019 , 04:31 PM | #5
Only thing I dislike about the new gear is the fact that mods and enhancements are bound which is the dumbest thing they could have done, the rest is fine and people just like to complain.

Paulsutherland's Avatar


Paulsutherland
01.16.2019 , 04:35 PM | #6
Let me choose what 252 piece I want! I don't need anymore accuracy torso pieces!

RobertFKennedyUS's Avatar


RobertFKennedyUS
01.16.2019 , 04:53 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Before you get all judgemental, here is a link to a thread that voiced the thoughts and feelings of the community in regards to the new gear changes that Jedi Under Siege introduced: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=957755
It doesn't really change the point that I made, that if you're going to start a thread saying that the devs should change something, you ought to mention what is wrong with the thing you want change, other than symptoms of the problem. To call that being judgmental is just disingenuous.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
I didn't mention them in the OP because by now majority of the forum posters know what players find wrong with the changes. It shows you haven't been reading the forums.
It shows that I haven't been reading the forums because that's what I stated. But if you take great pride in the fact that you have, then that's pretty sad.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
As I said in the OP, I personally have no large issues, but I am in a minority in regards to that. What do players criticise? It's another gear grind. We just finished the Galactic Command grind and now we are thrown into yet another one.
I have to say, how slow does one have to be at gearing to have just finished with Galactic Command? I have tons of 248 and 242 legendary stuff lying around.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
On top of that, the gear mods and enhancements are bound to their gear piece category. You want to minmax? Too bad! The mods and enhancements in leg pieces can only be put into leg pieces.
This is annoying, but that's a problem in need of a reform, not a wholesale scrapping of the system that you are calling for.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
I have seen PvP players complain as well that they are forced to do PvE content in order to get their gear up to date for Ranked and Unranked warzones so as to stay competitive.
There does seem to be some merit there, but I think only in so far as it restricts the diversity of what you can fight competitively. If a person only does ranked with one character, then it's not beyond reason to gear that one character up. As for unranked, isn't there bolster up to 252?

Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
The massive amount of criticism the gearing changes in 5.10 have received are proof that they don't work, they proof that players are unhappy with it. Had you bothered to read up on some of the threads you would have known what people were talking about.
If you want want to waste your time making foolish speculation about what I bother to do, that is on you. I merely pointed out that your telling the devs to change something but not stating why is bad form, and it is. If you're not mature enough to address that, I understand. It doesn't come as a terrible shock.
Undo the tank nerf. Find a different way to deal with skank tanks in warzones. The tank nerf really sucks.

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
01.16.2019 , 05:09 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by RobertFKennedyUS View Post
If you want want to waste your time making foolish speculation about what I bother to do, that is on you. I merely pointed out that your telling the devs to change something but not stating why is bad form, and it is. If you're not mature enough to address that, I understand. It doesn't come as a terrible shock.
I was intending to reply to the rest of your post in a sensible manner, but sadly I reached this point and if you're going to bring up maturity, using it as a crutch to discredit me and my replies then I apologise, but I won't bother to respond to you. Besides, for some reason you come at me in this very hostile manner, so please don't be surprised I have no interest in replying to you.

The Devs are well aware of the critiques expressed at the gearing changes, it has been THE topic of discussion on the forums ever since 5.10 had been released. Why you single me out of all the other threads that are out there on this topic is a mystery to me, yet here we are.

Have a nice day.
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.

Yamahara's Avatar


Yamahara
01.16.2019 , 05:10 PM | #9
Yes, it's definitely a grind. I just came back two'ish weeks ago after taking a break in August, and it definitely blows. Though with my mirror alts I'm already about to get my third 258 piece, hopefully a few more pieces when I hit legend next week. I don't mind a new gear tier at all, I just hate the limit on how many crystals you can get a week, and that the 252 weekly drop is a random item you don't get to select.
Lukewarm Tauntauns

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
01.16.2019 , 05:11 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Yamahara View Post
Yes, it's definitely a grind. I just came back two'ish weeks ago after taking a break in August, and it definitely blows. Though with my mirror alts I'm already about to get my third 258 piece, hopefully a few more pieces when I hit legend next week. I don't mind a new gear tier at all, I just hate the limit on how many crystals you can get a week, and that the 252 weekly drop is a random item you don't get to select.
That is another critique however that I have seen expressed frequently, the fact that the gearing changes are alt-unfriendly. The masterwork crystals are bound to one character, making the grind extra long if you have multiple characters to gear up.
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.