Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The betrayer arc makes no sense: Iokath, Umbara, Copero, Nathema *spoilers*

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
The betrayer arc makes no sense: Iokath, Umbara, Copero, Nathema *spoilers*

Xenipher
01.16.2019 , 11:27 PM | #11
What bothers me the most about the arc is it makes Theron seem stupid. In fact I have read enough about him to know he is absolutely not stupid.

He couldn't tell the Commander what was going on because Gemini 16 was listening and watching. OK, so turn the implant camera off for a few seconds and write it down on paper? Gemini can't see or hear a thing, then. Or why didn't Theron just use the code he and Lana developed on Rishi?

aerockyul
01.17.2019 , 12:30 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by tahol View Post
And on top of that I lost my favorite character. Because of a worst story in the whole history of SWTOR. I'm not happy I tell you. They had to make Theron killable because that was what the peanut gallery wanted. He will never be relevant again. He had 30 seconds in 5.10 in a half-assed cutscene, and unfortunately I'm afraid that was the last we will see of him. My character might be married to him, but he might be a widow just as well. Some marriage that was. Of course they promised Theron won't disappear, but Bioware has a short memory. When they have to deal with limited resources, everything not absolutely necessary will be cut out. He will go the same way as Koth did.
This is the reason I get so driven up the wall by people continually demanding characters be removed, whether through kill options or exile options. Not everyone deserves to be killed but when enough people find BS reasons to hate a character and want them dead, the writers have to make them do something OOC or deliberately stupid because there isn't actually a good reason to do it otherwise.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Ainyalah, Vaisis, SelaunaKahntara, Kaytee'roxx, Rienami
Jaista, Barba Rella, Katie Bee, Altheeka Eko'va, Misphire, Nataxhia, Dani Clarke
Portrait Gallery ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

Storm-Cutter
01.17.2019 , 12:44 AM | #13
doesn't writing on the mirror with lipstick work for communicating secret messages?

You've got the wlole of the galaxy to go to so Theron can communicate with the commander. - But instead of telling them, he creates an elaborate scheme to pretend to defect to hint that its not really a defection..... It's all too contrived.

It's also enormously risky, since blowing up a train while you are still on it isn't the most sensible course of action. Messing with Iokath tech could end really badly, fleeing through the streets of Copero could be outdone by a lucky blaster bolt or ion cannon ( shoot down the getaway ship) or force-choke.

For me it all started to fall apart on Umbara. - Why Lana ( or a force using commander) couldn't force-choke Theron is a mystery. and if he'd planted explosives on the line, how did he know when the commander would catch up with him... a few seconds either way could entirely wreck the plan to only derail the train.

There are probably a few plot holes in most fiction, but this whole arc is holier than Swiss cheese.

Wasn't there a explanation thread by one of the writers after KOTET? - which effectively made it even harder to fathom than it actually was?

Thank god you can skip all of that and go directly to Ossus. - effectively hand-waving away about 6 years - and nobody ages a day!
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

IoNonSoEVero
01.17.2019 , 01:01 AM | #14
In terms of Umbara, I always had the feeling that Theron deliberately shot her as soon as she realized what was going on because he knew she would have Force choked him before he had a chance to recite his speech.

There are so many plot holes in the traitor story. There's that secret code that only Lana and Theron know how to read, which could have gotten around Gemini 16, but for some reason Theron never uses it before Zildrog is about to blow up everything. There's Gemini 16 in general. And then there's the fact that as others mentioned, the order never would have had the map to Zildrog without Theron GIVING IT TO THEM.

I also want to know how all of those enemies of the PC were able to track down Vinn Atrius and join the order (the dialogue seems to suggest that they came to Atrius) and yet the Alliance never could find it. *facepalm*

Xenipher
01.17.2019 , 01:17 AM | #15
Another plot hole, or non-sensical moment during the arc.

After Theron is revealed on the train, my SW force chokes him and then stops and asked Theron for an explanation. OK, fair enough. But then after his monologue my SW says to him: you better run, Theron.

What the...
Why didn't my SW just finish him off? The writing is so stupid sometimes. They should have made the barrier for resistant.

IoNonSoEVero
01.17.2019 , 01:39 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenipher View Post
Another plot hole, or non-sensical moment during the arc.

After Theron is revealed on the train, my SW force chokes him and then stops and asked Theron for an explanation. OK, fair enough. But then after his monologue my SW says to him: you better run, Theron.

What the...
Why didn't my SW just finish him off? The writing is so stupid sometimes. They should have made the barrier for resistant.
This is true. In thinking about it there are a number of lost opportunities for Force users.

If you choose to kill Senya/Arcann, you can (as a Force user) take a really good shot at Arcann with the Force as he's getting on his shuttle on Voss. He's able to parry it because he's also a powerful Force user. And even without that, Lana and the Commander are both shown to be powerful Force users who are strong enough to move the Gravestone.

So why are they standing there saying "this isn't over, Theron!" when he's leaving on his shuttle instead of using the Force to grab him, on both Umbara and Copero?!

sauceemynx
01.17.2019 , 01:49 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
In terms of Umbara, I always had the feeling that Theron deliberately shot her as soon as she realized what was going on because he knew she would have Force choked him before he had a chance to recite his speech.

There are so many plot holes in the traitor story. There's that secret code that only Lana and Theron know how to read, which could have gotten around Gemini 16, but for some reason Theron never uses it before Zildrog is about to blow up everything. There's Gemini 16 in general. And then there's the fact that as others mentioned, the order never would have had the map to Zildrog without Theron GIVING IT TO THEM.

I also want to know how all of those enemies of the PC were able to track down Vinn Atrius and join the order (the dialogue seems to suggest that they came to Atrius) and yet the Alliance never could find it. *facepalm*
All of this. It's one of those story lines where I just can't think about it too deeply, although the more times I play it, the more in my face the inconsistencies are, lol. My characters thus far always have always forgiven Theron (I'm a sucker like that) but maybe Bioware just wanted to give people all sorts of good reasons to kill him.

krakadyla
01.17.2019 , 02:02 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by tahol View Post
He can't tell about this to my character, because they are listened.
If only there existed some interference-running technology that would temporary scramble potential listening channels...you know, like Minister of Intelligence used in the start of Imperial Agent's Chapter 3.

Noerra
01.17.2019 , 02:29 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by sauceemynx View Post
All of this. It's one of those story lines where I just can't think about it too deeply, although the more times I play it, the more in my face the inconsistencies are, lol. My characters thus far always have always forgiven Theron (I'm a sucker like that) but maybe Bioware just wanted to give people all sorts of good reasons to kill him.
This. There is absolutely no reason to kill Theron on the end when everything is revealed except these unexplained inconsistent things. Even then it makes little sense. With same logic you should have kill option for Lana on the end of the kotfe 1-9 because even she had good intention and managed to save you from carbonite it did not go flawlessly and there was quite a lot of lateral damage. I do NOT want that option just saying it's not really any different situation (minus "traitoring" which was pretty obvious from the start that it is just ruse).

Paulsutherland
01.17.2019 , 02:49 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Noerra View Post
This. There is absolutely no reason to kill Theron on the end when everything is revealed except these unexplained inconsistent things.
His actions resulted in the loss of a good portion of my powerbase ... he can rot on Nathema.