User Interface improvements: What's your wishlist?

As far as MMO default UIs go, I think SWTOR is actually pretty awesome. Between the basic design and the Interface Editor, I'm impressed with how comfortable I've been able to make my UI in a game with no AddOns.

Still, nothing's perfect and there's some minor fixes here and there I'd love to see. I hope this falls under the general umbrella of their philosophy of "Quality of Life" improvements moving forward — that the UI is part of the overall tweaking process they're committed to continuing with each update.

Rather than a million tiny threads on individual components, I think a catch-all approach for UI requests might be easier to deal with as a feedback tool. Given that, here's what I'd like to see "fixed" or improved:

~~~

Warning boxes — Many warning boxes still lack a toggle for "OMG, I know!!!", such as:

• I know that listing an item on the GTN will prevent it being sold back to the vendor for a refund
  • I know that mailing an item to my alt will prevent it being sold back to the vendor for a refund
  • I know that putting mods in an item will bind it to me

This can make large-scale actions that trigger a warning box feel annoying, with a lot of repetitive "OK" clicking.

Chat window

• Allow "Invite to Guild" option on right-click of names in chat windows. Currently, this only works if the person is in your group. It can make ginvites awkward when people have göófy characters in their name.
  • Change the "Your report has been sent" Spam Report pop-up into a text system message in the chat window. The pop-up can be very distracting, especially when it steals focus while you're in combat or otherwise occupied.

Vendors

• Add a "Useable by Companion" filter to complement the "Useable by Me" drop-down on, eg, Commendation vendors. This would help quickly finding eg, that 1 item out of 60 which is a Techblade.

Interface Editor

• Toggle to make frames "snap" to each other's edges in editing mode, for easier alignment/positioning of elements (such as the Group frames)

Buffs and debuffs

• Option to prioritize displaying YOUR buffs / debuffs first, before others
  • Option to enlarge YOUR buffs / debuffs relative to others
  • Option to filter out buffs / debuffs YOU did not apply

Operations frame:

• Allow more than 4 buffs to be displayed
  • Allow filtering-out of long-duration or otherwise useless-to-see buffs (eg, Force Valor)

Focus frame:

• Allow a "Target of Focus" frame like the "Target of Target" frame. This is something really useful to know, especially when healing!

Group Finder

• Time in queue & estimated queue time remaining

Skill Tree

• Ability to save pre-set Skill Tree layouts (using Field Respec at later levels to switch roles for FPs/Ops/WZs involves a lot of tedious OMG-I-know-this-by-heart clicking to reconstruct familiar builds)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see the option of adding a third horizontal action bar.

Erm... what game are you talking about ? I am using 3 horizontal action bars (12x1) and 2 additional 4x3 bars for 6 months now.

Only thing I am really missing on the UI is the ability to position proc-effect-buffs away from my char in the middle of my view and large.... real large.

(from below: )

Are you serious? The default U.I. in SWTOR looks absolutely atrocious. The worst I've seen in any game, ever.

Funny, to me that was the WoW-interface, when I tested WoW for 12 days (after that, I needed two eye implants, as my old eyes were burned away by the technicolor rainbow psychedelic assault)... maybe I was missing one of the gazillion of add-ons that seem to be required to play it ?

Edited by JPryde

Are you serious? The default U.I. in SWTOR looks absolutely atrocious. The worst I've seen in any game, ever.
I disagree. It's very well-made, in my opinion, conveying most of the information you need with surprising clarity. Especially compared to eg, WoW's UI which seems basically designed to make new players fail without extensive modification.

I think it's a "curse" of MMO UIs that the default will always feel a little clunky or extraneous, but I'm honestly very happy with SWTOR's approach. It just needs some tweaking here and there. WoW's default, on the other hand, needs to be shelled down to the bedrock and rebuilt as something remotely comprehensible.

Import/export keymap and talents.

Buffs/debuffs: mine larger/first

Remove or remove in combat or even make first/last long term buffs (4 class buffs, stim, xp boost,...) so I can see the omgmegabuffDPS buff proced or the cleanse-them-or-they-die debuff is on someone I am healing. Bigger/different location,red border, some way to tell the interesting from the mundane buff/sdebuffs. Even something like "make much smaller buffs with a max of > 15 minutes" would help winnow the wheat from the chaff.

Target of focus frame and keybind

Edited by caronome

• Dev Post

I really wish that SWTOR would add visible mission rewards! You know, like the ability to see what your experience gains, credits, and items will be from completing a mission!

I really hope this happens with Game Update 2.1.1 too! :rak_09:

-eric

I really wish that SWTOR would add visible mission rewards! You know, like the ability to see what your experience gains, credits, and items will be from completing a mission!

-eric

Love this post.

Not necessarily cuz that is a huge feature I desire...but it's a fun way to communicate upcoming features with the community! Keep it up!

What Eric said plus.

Add abilities to re-size change even more in the ui editor including chat window as a big one. I hate were the chat window is and would love to move it. Same with where tracked missions go.

Ability to enlarge certain buffs/debuffs and particularly only ones that apply to you or were applied to you.

Ability to set default window locations for things like inventory / bank / vendor. Still allow us to move them but let us pick a spot where they always spawn when clicked.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

It's a good list I think. I would change a few things more, mostly aesthetic changes.....

Allow us to change the color of the UI. I would suggest Brown, Red, Silver, Blue, Green, Purple, Yellow and Dark Grey.

Add tabs in the chat window for group chat and LFG/Trade.

Allow us to change default colors for different types of map icons. Colors would be red, green, blue and orange. This way we could quickly identify what type of icon it is, especially in dense areas.

Just a few of my additions.

Edited by LordArtemis

Import/Export keymaps.

Sortable, customizable buff/debuff area (only show my own debuffs, only shows specific buffs/procs or shows them in a different group).

Cartel market, vanity and emote items in a special, different inventory tab, or in the mission items tab (it's mostly empty anyway).

I would like to see the 'Interface Editor' and 'Lock' toggles moved from their position on the quickbar. Despite their small size they seem remarkably easy to click on in the heat of the moment.

Interface Editor already has an option when pressing 'Esc' on the drop down menu.

Placing an icon on the menubar, making them a separate panel, or even just moving them to the right hand side of the quickslot would be ideal.

For the User Interface, I'd like to see some sort of stats overlay that you can put up. Not necessarily just a damage meter. CoH had a good one where you could track health, stamina, speed, regen rate, and other things with precise numbers. It was pretty cool....and useful....to be able to see how much certain buffs and abilities affected you in certain areas mid-fight.

Also, if they could find some way to prevent the companion icon from moving to the far left of the screen every time I join a group that causes the companion to be dismissed, then I'd be happy. I have a quickbar on the far left of the screen. Every time I join a group which is a full group and the companion gets dismissed, the companion icon bar moves over to the far left of the screen underneath my quickbar. I have to re-adjust my interface afterwards to move the companion bar back......every time. It's annoying as hell, lol.

Beyond the general UI, the UI for the GTN is in desperate need of a price history for items. Whenever you highlight an item on the GTN, it should show the price history for most recent 5 sales.

The crafting UI needs an ability to hide/unhide each recipe so you can filter your list to leave one out of the display that you rarely use.

-eric

Is that something we're actually getting, or are you just teasing us? lol

Edited by Dyronis

-eric

Didn't your mom tell you on how not to tease people with good stuff :p

(That would be an awesome feature!)

Good ideas here.

I would like to be able to resize the gathering missions window and/or vendor windows. (resize all of the things!) My screen resolution is big enough to display the whole thing without need of the scroll bar.

Erm... what game are you talking about ? I am using 3 horizontal action bars (12x1) and 2 additional 4x3 bars for 6 months now.

I haven't found the ability to do that. When I open all of the action bars, I get three vertical to either side, the inner most of which I deactivate, and two horizontal on the bottom of the screen.

I too would like to be able to save a preset layout for specs, as I seem to have a plethora of smugglers, not sure how that happened. But would be nice to be able to save and share them so I don't have to try and remember where I put something on one and it being different on another.

Oh and could I have Brad Pitt clicking the keys for me while I sit on a chaise lounge being fed dolmades by twi'lek slaves? No? Hmm, well, just thought I'd ask, it is on my wishlist after all.