Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MandFlurry
06.05.2017 , 11:54 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Ralei View Post
rp is more than just "chat" it's a sense of community and the "feel" of the server. Even the economy is a bit different on an rp server, as rp'ers might value things a bit different than the average player. A "chat" or instance is a very poor substitute for a server and would probably just ruin it.
I've been on RP server in SWG, and have even done quite a bit back then, and can be quite fun to a point for me. But, other people from other servers always think that RP'ers are crazy loons because they just don't understand what Role-playing means, and thus are the attacked all the time. I've seen it quite a bit here on Swtor myself with the non Rp=player servers.
Got CE on 7/20/11
Canderous Ordo ServerRegulator
Referral for Star Wars Goodness
http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/3k4e

DarthSpuds
06.05.2017 , 11:56 AM | #52
Any merger of server MUST protect the monetary and credit investments players have already made into Strongholds and Flagships.

A new naming system should also be added that would allow multiple users to have the same name (such as a hidden prefix based on account name), this is possible, ESO does it.

All The Best
#Is-This-As-Good-As-It-Gets?

If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

DarthScruffy
06.05.2017 , 11:57 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
Going to repeat my response in regards to instance rp

No that will not work. Greifers and trolls will still be able to grief rp. There is no way adding a rp instance will help keep griefers off the rp instances. It will not work like a pvp instance because I think if you grief a pvp player he can just kill you on a pvp instance, there is nothing stopping a troll/griefer from doing that on a rp instance.
90 CC is a low barrier to entry for people who want to grief/troll. It's not like JM and BC are pristine wonderlands as is.

MandFlurry
06.05.2017 , 11:58 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Rockula View Post
Can someone articulate why they DON'T want server merges?
Please don't include reasons like "My stronghold/ guild/ achievements won't transfer".
Let's assume for the sake of discussion, that BW can get the transfer process 100% perfect and nothing is lost.
What is the argument against merges at that point ?
The only solid reasoning I've seen thus far has been that RP players want to be left alone.
Is there anything else?

Thanks,
Brian
You don't have that right to ask that, as you are leaving out the Reality of what can happen with mergers.
Got CE on 7/20/11

Rockula
06.05.2017 , 11:58 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
See my post above.
Do you think character name + legacy name will solve the naming issue ?
Brian - cohost of The Bad Feeling Podcast
<Has A Bad Feeling> and <Loves Twi'Leks and Spice> guilds on Star Forge

Rockula
06.05.2017 , 12:02 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by MandFlurry View Post
You don't have that right to ask that, as you are leaving out the Reality of what can happen with mergers.
And yet I did

_Luke_
06.05.2017 , 12:02 PM | #57
I am playing on T3-M4, and from my point of view the number of 'looking for group' messages in the fleet chat have significantly decreased over the last months. I assume this is also true for overall server population. If a server feels dead, I imagine also more players leaving the game and only few migrating to other servers.

I don't see any reason not to merge at least the language specific PVE and PVP servers, since you now have both zones available on any server. Not sure about the RP servers - but is there really serious roleplay going on?

Personally I wouldn't even mind being put on a mixed language or english european server if it means actually more players online. Having to change my characters names would also not be an issue, i want to play this game with others not stare at my name tag all day long...

So yes - please start merging servers now!

Ratajack
06.05.2017 , 12:04 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthScruffy View Post
90 CC is a low barrier to entry for people who want to grief/troll. It's not like JM and BC are pristine wonderlands as is.
That may be true, but a person is far less likely to spend 90 CC to transfer (along with all that a transfer entails), leave their guild and friends behind on the old server simply to grief RP'ers.

A separate RP means that a griefer simply has to switch instances to grief those RP'ers.

Rockula
06.05.2017 , 12:10 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Some players prefer a lower population. Some do not want to spend all their time fighting over resources or quest objectives. While it is possible at times to move to another instance, all too often there is only one instance with a population some players find to be too crowded, often just beneath the threshold for a new instance to be created.

Some prefer a more respectful and responsible community than one will find on Harbinger, the highest population server and also the server with the highest percentage (and number) of players who display "less than desirable" behavior. Some do not even want to think about being forcibly merged into the cesspool that is Harbinger.
Just spitballing ideas here:
What if the threshold for creating instances was lower? We know that there have been upgrades to hardware and OS in the server farm, so this may be do-able.
What if there was a way to spawn X boss on command. If you want to kill Nightmare Pilgrim, but he's already been killed, maybe you could put a quarter in the machine to make him appear?

The toxic chat environment is a problem everywhere. BW needs to step up the moderation of chat in general. Do you think stricter policies would help? How about chat channels restricted to a certain instance? So the RP instance of fleet doesn't see the PVE instance, etc

MandFlurry
06.05.2017 , 12:10 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by _Luke_ View Post
I am playing on T3-M4, and from my point of view the number of 'looking for group' messages in the fleet chat have significantly decreased over the last months. I assume this is also true for overall server population. If a server feels dead, I imagine also more players leaving the game and only few migrating to other servers.

I don't see any reason not to merge at least the language specific PVE and PVP servers, since you now have both zones available on any server. Not sure about the RP servers - but is there really serious roleplay going on?

Personally I wouldn't even mind being put on a mixed language or english european server if it means actually more players online.

So yes - please start merging servers now!

I think it would be good for some server to be Merged, but for people to realize they could lose some or all of their Cartel Market stuff, Legacy stuff, their Names, along with Strongholds and the stuff they have in them.

Mergers can help, no doubt, but for some it will also ruin things. Maybe people won't lose all those things i mentioned, but they should be prepared for it. Good and Bad.
Got CE on 7/20/11