Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Upirlikhyi's Avatar


Upirlikhyi
09.13.2017 , 02:58 PM | #2721
I will admit right off the bat I did not read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been brought up already.

I know most people want to see people in the world I like to see them at times. I however enjoy some time where its just me. I dont know how much a merger would mess with that

But the biggest issue with a server merger would be names. Who or what decides who gets to keep a name if 2 people have it? I for one would be very upset if I had to rename one of my guys

Otherwise if server mergers brings life back then go for it
I'm happy to pull my veins out
And braid a rope, I don't need hope
To know that you die slow

casirabit's Avatar


casirabit
09.13.2017 , 03:06 PM | #2722
Quote: Originally Posted by Upirlikhyi View Post
I will admit right off the bat I did not read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been brought up already.

I know most people want to see people in the world I like to see them at times. I however enjoy some time where its just me. I dont know how much a merger would mess with that

But the biggest issue with a server merger would be names. Who or what decides who gets to keep a name if 2 people have it? I for one would be very upset if I had to rename one of my guys

Otherwise if server mergers brings life back then go for it
Names haven't been discussed yet because guild assets, i.e. guild banks, guild ships, guild strongholds and personal assets, strongholds, outfit changer, legacy banks, are more of an issue than names right now and BW has stated unless they can get those issues fix where no one loses their assets and guilds can transfer intact there will probably not be a merger.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj

Upirlikhyi's Avatar


Upirlikhyi
09.13.2017 , 03:51 PM | #2723
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
Names haven't been discussed yet because guild assets, i.e. guild banks, guild ships, guild strongholds and personal assets, strongholds, outfit changer, legacy banks, are more of an issue than names right now and BW has stated unless they can get those issues fix where no one loses their assets and guilds can transfer intact there will probably not be a merger.
Even with all that names should be discussed. Maybe not right now but there has to be a plan for them. Otherwise there will be plenty of mad people
I'm happy to pull my veins out
And braid a rope, I don't need hope
To know that you die slow

Foambreaker's Avatar


Foambreaker
09.13.2017 , 05:00 PM | #2724
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
For the specific Guild issues you’ve raised, we would need to ensure the entire Guild, their Flagship/decorations, Bank/Tabs/items, and Stronghold/decorations remain 100% intact. The goal would be for the Guild members to notice absolutely nothing different and this means any returning players would still be in your guild unless you specifically removed them. Bottom line for your Guild would be making sure we protect all your hard work.

The losing of character names is one of the key points we are still discussing. We know there’s a variety of issues to resolve including, but not limited to, name collisions, establishing a priority system, purging of old names beforehand, and players attempting to reserve names. We all have character names we want to preserve, so this is a key factor in the overall decision.

-Keith--
Keeping in mind there are different situations when it comes to players reserving names.

In some cases they are just trying to insure they get to keep a name they already have and if they are successful, a name no one else has, yet.

There are also players trying to reserve cool names they do not have, that someone else has. Hopefully this will not become a method to make name grabs.

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
09.13.2017 , 05:35 PM | #2725
Quote: Originally Posted by fushnchips View Post
I also wish bioware would make SWTOR sub only none of this F2P if they really want to play this game they have to sub then we will see who the loyal players are and most of those won't be the RP community.
Yes I agree. I think making the game F2P was the worst thing they could do. I don't mind if they have a trial version where someone has one character they can lvl till the end of the 2nd chapter of their class story, but will have to pay to see the end.
Bioware give too much away for free in this game and the subs are the ones that pick up the bill for these people who are too cheap to pay. Then they whinge because they don't get enough free content, whaw, whaw.
Problem is Bioware have now set that expectation and the model is in place and changing the F2P aspect too much can have a dramatic affect on player population, which also end up effecting subs. Just look at what they've done by removing paid passes from the GTN and locking Preferred players out of CXP gearing. Both have had a big impact on the population.
Personally, I would like to see them go back to a model where we pay real money for expansions. Add prepaid passes back on the GTN for PVP and FPs. Allow F2P to get gear the same as anyone else. Expansion playable content would be locked out if the expansion isn't purchased. That means that a F2P-Preferred player could buy the expansion to open up that part of the game and play it. This way Bioware are actually getting some return for making the content and subs aren't carrying the burden for those too cheap to pay.
Solution to Character Slots after Merger
Link to thread : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=934059

Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/lc5brk

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
09.13.2017 , 05:37 PM | #2726
Quote: Originally Posted by Upirlikhyi View Post
Even with all that names should be discussed. Maybe not right now but there has to be a plan for them. Otherwise there will be plenty of mad people
The studio largely resolved the issue with names when they updated the naming conventions for 4.0 and let players add a space in their name.

How does that largely resolve the issue? Easy..... it makes it so that it would be very difficult to have duplicate names even with very common names if a player simply adopts the following format: <fist name> [space] <second name>

Personally, I use any common name I like for the first name and then use my old legacy name (which I now no longer have to display) as my second name. Example: Jan Jones.

So while this change done a while back may not please everyone, it is very adaptable to naming and avoiding a lot of issues with common names being taken.

Casi is right.. the real issues are not naming, but guild asset and intact transfer so that guilds are not destroyed and forced to somehow reform at a destination and replace all their assets.
A Good Read ---> Truth Decay - An Initial Exploration of the Diminishing Role of Facts and Analysis in American Public Life. Source: Rand Corporation https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2314.html

fushnchips's Avatar


fushnchips
09.13.2017 , 05:42 PM | #2727
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
Yes I agree. I think making the game F2P was the worst thing they could do. I don't mind if they have a trial version where someone has one character they can lvl till the end of the 2nd chapter of their class story, but will have to pay to see the end.
Bioware give too much away for free in this game and the subs are the ones that pick up the bill for these people who are too cheap to pay. Then they whinge because they don't get bough free content, whaw, whaw.
Problem is Bioware have now set that expectation and the model is in place and changing the F2P aspect too much can have a dramatic affect on player population, which also end up effecting subs. Just look at what they've done by removing paid passes from the GTN and locking Preferred players out of CXP gearing. Both have had a big impact on the population.
Personally, I would like to see them go back to a model where we pay real money for expansions. Add prepaid passes back on the GTN for PVP and FPs. Allow F2P to get gear the same as anyone else. Expansion playable content would be locked out if the expansion isn't purchased. That means that a F2P-Preferred player could buy the expansion to open up that part of the game and play it. This way Bioware are actually getting some return for making the content and subs aren't carrying the burden for those too cheap to pay.
This game would have gone so well if it was B2P and have paid expacs aswell as quality non reskins in the CM. What Bioware offer for a subscription isn't quality it's not compared to WoW, FFXIV the 2 top paid MMO games in the world they just don't learn and it actually hurts me as a person who has been a sub since day 1 and does anyone else remember paying the huge fee to buy the game when it came out ?
Pineapple on Pizza for life

Free stuff for you and me click here : Refer a Friend

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
09.13.2017 , 05:45 PM | #2728
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
Yes I agree. I think making the game F2P was the worst thing they could do. I don't mind if they have a trial version where someone has one character they can lvl till the end of the 2nd chapter of their class story, but will have to pay to see the end.
Bioware give too much away for free in this game and the subs are the ones that pick up the bill for these people who are too cheap to pay. Then they whinge because they don't get bough free content, whaw, whaw.
Problem is Bioware have now set that expectation and the model is in place and changing the F2P aspect too much can have a dramatic affect on player population, which also end up effecting subs. Just look at what they've done by removing paid passes from the GTN and locking Preferred players out of CXP gearing. Both have had a big impact on the population.
Personally, I would like to see them go back to a model where we pay real money for expansions. Add prepaid passes back on the GTN for PVP and FPs. Allow F2P to get gear the same as anyone else. Expansion playable content would be locked out if the expansion isn't purchased. That means that a F2P-Preferred player could buy the expansion to open up that part of the game and play it. This way Bioware are actually getting some return for making the content and subs aren't carrying the burden for those too cheap to pay.
IF they did not change the business model for flexible access back in late 2012 ... you would not be playing this game today, none of us would.. because it would have shuttered in 2013 or 2014 at the latest.

So be mindful of what you wish for.

Same was true by the wat for ESO and Wildstar as well, both of which released in roughly the same time frame. Same for Rift.. which released a year earlier then SWTOR. Basically.. the sub only model is defunct for any new MMOs. WoW stays sub by virtue of a decade of installed subscriber base. FFXIV stays sub by virtue of having a 12+ year FF franchise to draw customers from. But these are the conditional exceptions in the market now days. GW2 went the buy to play route.... which is common for NCsoft games.. and even it is not doing all that well... but well enough to stay alive for now.
A Good Read ---> Truth Decay - An Initial Exploration of the Diminishing Role of Facts and Analysis in American Public Life. Source: Rand Corporation https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2314.html

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
09.13.2017 , 05:54 PM | #2729
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
Whether it is griefing or trolling it doesn't matter. The problem is Harbinger has a toxic reputation and if you have to deal with either behavior on a daily basis the game no longer is fun and most people will not do it and when you fill up your ignore list then you what do you do? You seemed to miss the point that I said I filled up my ignore list is a short time I was there or you just want to ignore it.
There is a big difference there. I can fully support a cause to stop greifing if it is happening, but chat trolls are so easy to shut up that if that's your only issue with the server being toxic then you need to learn how to use ignore properly. If you filled your whole ignore list just for trolls and not credit spammers, then you may just be a little too sensitive because I don't think there are that many trolls combined across all the servers these days. I also highly doubt you filled it up in two weeks.
From reading your posts about how toxic Harbinger is, you would think the world was falling in. That is not my experience over the last few years and it doesn't even come marginally close to what you experienced over a two week period. Either you are the most unlucky person in the game to attract griefers and trolls or you are exaggerating for dramatic effect to support your false belief that Harbinger is as toxic as you claim,
I would love to see some proof that it is. Maybe some screen shots of someone griefing you are some chat troll harassing you (with names blocked out of course). Even a shot showing you were even on Harbinger would help.
I actually had proof of griefing on EH back in March because someone asked me to provide it, but it got taken down because I stupidly left the names viewable. Since then I deleted the image, if I can get any proof again, I will post it straight away. But considering you were a bad luck magnet with griefers and trolls on Harbinger over a two week period, it shouldnt take too much effort for you to get us some proof.
Solution to Character Slots after Merger
Link to thread : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=934059

Free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/lc5brk

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
09.13.2017 , 06:01 PM | #2730
Quote: Originally Posted by fushnchips View Post
This game would have gone so well if it was B2P and have paid expacs aswell as quality non reskins in the CM.
Proof?

Sources? (sources that are not located behind you )
A Good Read ---> Truth Decay - An Initial Exploration of the Diminishing Role of Facts and Analysis in American Public Life. Source: Rand Corporation https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2314.html