Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ZionHalcyon
06.22.2017 , 07:31 AM | #1071
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
People... you know there is no SWTOR 2.0 incoming? Really, on Reddit there was this guy (or gal, idk) who had this crazy theory everything indicated that they were developing a sequel to this game. They're not doing that! They have too many resources already invested in this game to attempt something of the sorts.

Do I think the story needs a reboot? Yeah, I'd love to get fully back to the Republic vs Empire, Sith vs Jedi theme and abandon the whole Alliance/Zakuul thing. But that will not happen as this is the course taken and how it will continue. There is no SWTOR 2.0 incoming and I will sooner turn into a Gizka than that a sequel to this MMO will be produced.
I am not in a position to say whether you are right or wrong one way or another.

But even if there was a SWTOR being developed, it likely wouldn't be done by this team - they already have their hands full with SWTOR I.

The way to really have an idea if they are working on this is to watch for mass hirings for projects that, while they don't say star wars, sound like star wars without mentioning it specifically. If there is a ramp up for hires in BioWare, that's the first inkling you get of it.

That being said, if there is ever a SWTOR 2, my suggestions would be thus:
  • Don't call it SWTOR 2 - Make this a reboot done with full blessing of Lucasfilm so that it can be Canon.
  • Cartel Market and Fremium from the beginning - no, really. Because as much as the players pushed back on microtransactions pre SWTOR launch, if they had the cartel market and this sub model from the beginning, my guess is the original dev team would still be here and we'd have had a continuation of class stories, thanks to that revenue.
  • Whatever story you tell, make it have a beginning, middle and END. Having a set end point and a set target level will allow costs to be budgeted better, and we won't run into things like Makeb where all the class stories are gutted for factions stories.

Frankly, I'd be all for a total reboot. Play with people's expectations.

As much as some people are Revan-weary, I'd make a SWTOR 2 a reboot of the franchise, and tell the story of Kotor again, but with some twists - change up the story a little, you run into the classic characters but in different roles, you pick up a companion smuggler and are in pursuit of most of the early game of Revan, only to later find out your COMPANION is Revan (minus memories) and the Jedi council set up the wild goose chase to retrace Revan's steps to try to locate the star forge before Malak, and so on. Play with people's expectations. Set them up for something familiar, only to pull the rug out from under them. Stay true to the original characters, yet give them added depth and put in a few surprises.

And for good measure? I'd even say to hell with the old timeline and incorporate TOR surprises as well - What if after defeating Darth Malak in act 3 and blowing up the star forge, you and your Revan companion get a visit from a very familiar assassination droid, who calls Revan master (even though he can't remember ever owning a droid ) and has a holo from another sith who has been quietly monitoring Revan's progress, seeing he beat Malak, and wanting help in overthrowing the Emperor who sent Malak and Revan out as an advanced party to weaken the republic for takeover. And that sith turns out to be Darth Malgus.

I think you can really play with the story while getting things in line to be kosher with the greater Star Wars continuity. Since SWTOR is all legends anyway, you can re-incorporate some of the favorite characters into a new story. I think it could work.

TUXs
06.22.2017 , 07:34 AM | #1072
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hey all,

Someone indicated we haven't posted in this thread since we kicked it off. As we stated in the opening post, we are not ready to discuss anything, yet, The purpose of the thread was to consolidate all the various posts about the topic so it's all contained in one place. All of your comments will absolutely have an impact on how and what we decide with respect to server populations.

Keith---
Thank you Keith. It's nice to know you guys are reading.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

omaan
06.22.2017 , 10:30 AM | #1073
Quote: Originally Posted by KeithKanneg View Post
Hey all,

Someone indicated we haven't posted in this thread since we kicked it off. As we stated in the opening post, we are not ready to discuss anything, yet, The purpose of the thread was to consolidate all the various posts about the topic so it's all contained in one place. All of your comments will absolutely have an impact on how and what we decide with respect to server populations.

Keith---
Keith we need cross-server warzones, fps, ops, uprisings queues! It is very important since will solve different problems (faction imbalance, low population on different servers, prevent new players leaving the game because of starting on dead servers such as tomb of fredon nadd, the bastion etc). Dont you guys understand this? SWTOR Desperately needs CROSS- SERVER queues, why are you ignoring it? Or at least all EU and USA server merges into two mega servers. However, cross-server queues is better due to less problems it may cause. Thanks for reading this thread! We hope you understand what swtor needs.

OneHit
06.22.2017 , 10:39 AM | #1074
Sadly I just got finished listening to the Bad Feeling podcast (162 if i recall correctly) where Keith was interviewed. He states that the current hardware isn't capable of cross server. Its not the engine. I am not someone who could explain it to you so i recommend listening to the interview. He sounds sincere on that aspect

Icykill_
06.22.2017 , 10:49 AM | #1075
Quote: Originally Posted by OneHit View Post
Sadly I just got finished listening to the Bad Feeling podcast (162 if i recall correctly) where Keith was interviewed. He states that the current hardware isn't capable of cross server. Its not the engine. I am not someone who could explain it to you so i recommend listening to the interview. He sounds sincere on that aspect
When was it recoded?
Remember we just had a data centre move and upgrade, so maybe the hardware is being prepared.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
APAC - sign this thread to say goodbye
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=936181

OneHit
06.22.2017 , 11:01 AM | #1076
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
When was it recoded?
Remember we just had a data centre move and upgrade, so maybe the hardware is being prepared.
It's their latest one sadly. Taped the day of the forum post about gsf being added to PVP matches to make a new type of PVP. Where it was discussed about iokath open world PvP. I might not be describing it right but I'm sure you saw it.

He did say the new hardware will make server mergers better some how. And overall game play.

I'm tired and catching a buzz so I recommend listening to the Bad Feelings podcast before believing litteraly everything I said. But that's basically it

OneHit
06.22.2017 , 11:05 AM | #1077
I forget to add I recommend in general listening to the Bad Feeling podcast. They're pretty good.

IntegrationArch
06.22.2017 , 11:09 AM | #1078
This HeroEngine link below shows a bit dated specs but i do oracle cent OS cluster, apache, and microsoft cluster server & version 32 bit to 64 bit data upgrades, including metadata.

SWTOR does use the best core engine over oracle with scripts and other jobs in Microsoft Windows. So SWTOR metadata is robust and extensible. (Its not like its COBAL or foxpro)

So all these platforms can talk and bump up if it was funded. There are a plethra of great migration wizards and tools as well.

Within our community I am convinced we have so many geeks that perform data migrations and application upgrades in place and coding, scripts, apachie Oracle ect who may become a resource or think tank on how get this done if Keith asked us. .

We need a gofundme page to help Keith's fight.

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Intr...Hardware_Setup

Ref circa 2012 on 32 to 64 bit upgrades, more users per server, no lag, no need for server to server joins, just make a monster cluster. Use application db partioning to seamlessly segment and park old inactive users off the main server to keep the active game server in prime condition etc. They could auto rename old dead users and release good names too.
https://docs.oracle.com/database/122...htm#UPGRD12354

migrate DX10 to DX12 to enable all cores and use of more client memory, take out the lag, more 3D rendering faster.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/art...ectx-12-part-1

Deewe
06.22.2017 , 11:16 AM | #1079
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Frankly, I'd be all for a total reboot. Play with people's expectations.
Be careful of what you ask because it might already be on the way.

I'm afraid the next Battlefront could be SWTOR killer.

You'll have massive fast paced multiplayer SW action. Add a couple of MMO elements and well start to be worried. Top that with micro-transactions and sand box elements and you don't even need a shovel to dig SWTOR grave. Both EA execs and the majority of the players will be more than happy to perform an euthanasia on the aging elephant and incinerate it.

Almost forgot, contrary to SWTOR, they do have the big budget both for development and marketing.
-----
[HOW_TO] Mouse look toogle

Lium
06.22.2017 , 11:19 AM | #1080
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
The first was a flop. This one would need to be significantly better.
It's a shame they don't just make a swtor 2 and start from scratch.
My point was, Disney is quite okay with EA not doing anything with this game because they are actively promoting and developing other Star Wars projects. BFII is one of them.