Ranked daily/weeklies

DarthRaistlin

It is amazing how some people still do not understand the problem. I think everybody agrees cross servers is the real answer, but it is not coming.

Given that, there are 2 options guys not 3. One, ranked will be among very few high level guys. It will fire rarely and will be ghost town most weekdays. Second, you will accept and embrace others. Casuals, bads, undergeared people etc....

you have to choose one of these options. First option has a dead end, but second option at least will increase the number of good players over time. Some of these casuals, bad will make up good players. Bads will stay around but hopefully will be the minority over time.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A player of a high rating could be really amazing OR just saved up a season's worth of pending quests and turned them in on the last day. The rating then doesn't accurately represent the player's performance in the Ranked games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can only have one of a specific quest in your log at a time. I know from experience that if I have forgotten to turn in a daily from the day before, that daily is not available to me the next day. I don't think its possible to save up a season's worth of quests.

Without a doubt, the PvP in this game is the simplest and most noob-friendly I have ever encountered.

It was the first MMO I've played after years of FPS, but since then I've played other MMOs and even for an MMO the combat in this game is overly simplistic and casual by its very design and nature.

To take players from this environment and expect them to take a shoehorned and ham-fisted "competitive" pvp mode seriously is utterly ridiculous. Carebear pvp attracts carebear pvp players.

But sure let's place ranked on a pedestal even though it's exactly the same game with the same easy mechanics, and based on statistics taken from a scoreboard that's based on completely inaccurate and biased data so as not to butthurt ppl with the truth. 37 kills with 12k damage? sounds legit, GG superstar!!

I find it completely and utterly hilarious that the tryhards in this thread continue to proclaim that ranked "isn't for noobs" and so forth and so on. It absolutely is. This game does not attract a high caliber of players to form a competitive playerbase, and if you take this pvp that seriously you need to go find something more geared towards that. Because the pvp in this game just isn't that, at all. Hell, even the coordinated groups and guilds that one would expect to be in ranked would rather be farming pugs than face other coordinated groups. Carebear pvp, no other way to put it.

Must say I'm a bit baffled by the logics being applied to this new weekly/daily for ranked. I thought, obvious wrongly apperently, that the idea was to bring more people into playing pvp ranked, rather than simply giving more ranked coms to those playing already? Wasn't the unranked daily weekly charged for that exact same purpose, that it was driving people away from pvp that you had to win (even on the servers with massive pvp-inbalance)? While I do agree that pvp'ers(or rather people who enjoy competing at the highest tier of content in pvp aswell) should be able to have a "dedicated" gaming system, such as the nightmare modes is for raiders, I don't really see how putting in an unachievable daily/weekly would encourage more people to join in trying to get better at this content? Putting in a requirement for starting on nightmare mode DF, that you must first suffer through endless wipes of Brontes on nightmare mode and must conquerer her, before you can start on nightmare mode DF at all, doesn't make sense in my head either.

While ranked (ideally) should be the "stage" for the most dedicated and skilled players to play against eachother, the fact remains that other than at primetime in weekends, there's hardly a single "pop" of the ranked ques on the server where I play, which I imagine is not an isolated issue for my server. Chosing between not playing most of the time in a system designed (exclusively) for the elite, or playing (fairly) regulary and "suffering" the occasional bad player, isn't really a choice is it? What's the point of being awesome at something you don't get to do? (Not that I claim to be that, in any way) So while it would be awesome to have a dedicated system for those passionate about the pvp experience (aswell), the fact remains that there isn't enough people playing it to make it a stable (self-sufficient) enviroment in this game as is. To get more people playing it, requires them to be motivated to do so, and people don't generate stable enduring motivation by punishment or the lure of an unachievable reward, but by concrete (incremental ideally) rewards. And yes, this will properly mean that we'll suffer through loads of clueless people queing up to get easy coms, but some of those might actually get interesting to doing more pvp and learning how to be better at it, meaning that the long term benefits might be that we get more (good) people playing pvp, providing more (regular) competition for the community as a whole.

I might be the "odd one out" on these forums in this regard, but I fully acknowledge that I wasn't "born into" superior pvp-skills, but actually had to (and still have to) learn how to get better, and yes, I didn't do that just for the sake of being good at pvp (done it even for such silly things, as liking the "War Hero" title and gear on my old guardian). But I've come to actually like pvp'ing like I enjoy raiding aswell and I'd do like more people joining into doing it, so they can share all the fun experiences that "lay within" this game-mode. But I guess I just have to hope that the dear Bioware will skip their reading of motivational theory about half a century further ahead and realise that (enduring) motivation is created by actual rewards for doing, rather than the lure of unrealistic achievements, so we can get a actually stable pvp enviroment on the non-pvp servers aswell, while we wait for "cross-server queing"

Re-evaluate your line of thinking. I highly encourage anyone with any interest to PvP as often as they want. I don't complain about people being bad unless they openly talk about how good they are or how bad other people are. I'm happy to offer advice to people showing up without augments or with low amounts of expertise in order to improve their experience.

There is a place for everyone who wants to PvP, but it is not ranked. If you MUST queue for ranked, at least find 3 other unskilled/undergeared players to queue for 4s so that you can get team globalled and not harm the potential enjoyment of 3 other people on your team. If you are looking to get involved in the PvP world or looking to improve, play regs. The queues are faster, the caliber of play isn't as high, and there are rewards fitting of the skill required to obtain them.

Don't take my posts as me being against bad players from queueing. There is a ranking system in place that should match you according to your skill level and create fair games (if the population was high enough anyway). But you need to take all preparations prior to joining the ranked queue. If you don't have min/maxed Obroan currently (or bolster equivalent depending on BiS), then don't queue. If you don't have at least optimal blue augments in EVERY slot, then don't queue for ranked. If you don't know the basic strategies of PvP, don't queue for ranked.

From there if you mechanical skill or decision making isn't as good as other players, you'll simply be matched with lower ranked players. But you took all of the necessary actions before queueing to make you competitive. You are going into matches and playing to win. You are learning from your mistakes and doing better.

These ranked daily and weeklies will encourage those ready for ranked to queue for ranked more often. I don't feel it is intended to drawn in an audience that had no interest in the game mode before. Hopefully more of the players who are premading or solo queuing regs simply because ranked doesn't pop often will enter the queue more often and the time between matches will decrease. We'll see the impact when the patch hits.

Aye, i completly agree. I was only replying to the question 'Why are we complaining when ranked isn't firing' - to which i think every PvPer in this game is entitled to complain about for any reason, at any time =P

Yeah, I just wanted to direct point to why Que times are and always have been bad. It didn't have anything to do with lack of rewards for participation. If people here want population growth, how about trying to win some subs back that ya lost and make ranked more competitve at the same time?

Star Forge mount: Server first to 500 ranked solo kills.

How many would que for something like that?

It is amazing how some people still do not understand the problem. I think everybody agrees cross servers is the real answer, but it is not coming.

Given that, there are 2 options guys not 3. One, ranked will be among very few high level guys. It will fire rarely and will be ghost town most weekdays. Second, you will accept and embrace others. Casuals, bads, undergeared people etc....

you have to choose one of these options. First option has a dead end, but second option at least will increase the number of good players over time. Some of these casuals, bad will make up good players. Bads will stay around but hopefully will be the minority over time.

Your "options" are incorrect. Namely thinking adding participation awards will instantly mean more que pops. In this system, there is zero guarantees unless you add more players to the entire pool. Guess what happens when participation is the only requirement?

AFK, quitters, gear farmers, etc.

Just as many "new" players enter the que, experienced ones, sick of dealing with that stuff leave. You are not getting.g ANYWHERE rewarding participation for ranked.

Fix the reasons why the population died in the first place. Support all PvP ques, balance more than once a year, add 8v8 back, put more epic rewards in Rank based on PERFORMANCE, set proper restrictions for joining ranked ques.

That is the "only" option since cross server is not in the cards...

More queue pops do not necessarily translate into a good thing for Ranked. It needs to be filled with competitive players.

Unfortunately this game has driven away about 99% of the competitive PvP'ers to this point, so these are all just wasted efforts by Bioware.

Inevitably this quest will become participation based, just like the Reg WZ quests. You are already getting comms just for being in the WZ, and you can get a lot even in a loss if you are not a window licker. But its never enough for the casual crowd, they need to be able to coast mindlessly through everything and be rewarded for it. /facepalm

This is a little bit of an aside, but I'm curious as to what the more invested PvP'ers think on the issue.

I've recently started to PvP again in this game. For the longest time I was primarily a PvE'er (Raids/HMs/some NiM content at level), but recently got the urge to try PvP again. I played some at launch, but by the time I got into it, the expertise/abilities/lvl difference kind of put me off a bit.

But that being said, I've found that since I've started again I've grown to like it more. I'm certainly a better player than I was at launch and I don't feel as overwhelmed as I did back then (I know a lot has changed fundementally, as well).

I've been running regs quite frequently. Have a mix of Obroan and Brutalizer, augments, somewhat min/maxed etc. Have a good understanding of most class abilities, but I'm sure there are still a lot of situational tip/tricks to be learned, just through more experience.

I also agree that ranked is there for winning and competition and have no issue with the ranked rewards being for ranked wins.

But I'm at the point where I'm curious as to how I would fair in ranked, and if more competition would actually help me improve more. If you guys could have it your way, would you think someone like myself would be better off in solo queue or group queue. Granted the group queue would probably be people with similar skill sets as mine.

I guess even bigger picture: If one queue were more of a "Test to see if you're ready for Ranked" and one more "Serious Ranked Here" which way would you guys want it to be? And I know in a perfect world ELO blah, blah, blah you'd be grouped with and against similar players, but I don't want to hear about semantics, just if you had to separate the distinction in queues, which way would you prefer it to be.

Re-evaluate your line of thinking. I highly encourage anyone with any interest to PvP as often as they want. I don't complain about people being bad unless they openly talk about how good they are or how bad other people are. I'm happy to offer advice to people showing up without augments or with low amounts of expertise in order to improve their experience.

There is a place for everyone who wants to PvP, but it is not ranked. If you MUST queue for ranked, at least find 3 other unskilled/undergeared players to queue for 4s so that you can get team globalled and not harm the potential enjoyment of 3 other people on your team. If you are looking to get involved in the PvP world or looking to improve, play regs. The queues are faster, the caliber of play isn't as high, and there are rewards fitting of the skill required to obtain them.

Don't take my posts as me being against bad players from queueing. There is a ranking system in place that should match you according to your skill level and create fair games (if the population was high enough anyway). But you need to take all preparations prior to joining the ranked queue. If you don't have min/maxed Obroan currently (or bolster equivalent depending on BiS), then don't queue. If you don't have at least optimal blue augments in EVERY slot, then don't queue for ranked. If you don't know the basic strategies of PvP, don't queue for ranked.

From there if you mechanical skill or decision making isn't as good as other players, you'll simply be matched with lower ranked players. But you took all of the necessary actions before queueing to make you competitive. You are going into matches and playing to win. You are learning from your mistakes and doing better.

These ranked daily and weeklies will encourage those ready for ranked to queue for ranked more often. I don't feel it is intended to drawn in an audience that had no interest in the game mode before. Hopefully more of the players who are premading or solo queuing regs simply because ranked doesn't pop often will enter the queue more often and the time between matches will decrease. We'll see the impact when the patch hits.

I'll "re-evaluate my line of thinking" and opinions when presented with evidence and/or logics countering my arguments, thank you very much for the suggestion though ;) I was, in my post, talking about the motivation for doing ranked at all, not the abuse/harrasment that people usually suffer when playing pvp(which happens at all levels of skill, ranked and unranked, in my experience) And while people queing with fully augmented Obroan gear and knowledgable of advanced arena tactics would be an awesome situation, fact still remains that is far from the reality (on most servers, I'd believe). To change that, Bioware implements dailies/weeklies to make more people que, which is a good (and hopefully) effectual idea, but my argument still stands that it will not be an effective way of motivating more people to join in this game-mode, as long as you're only rewarded by winning, as such a thing would be very far off for people not skilled in arena play already, as that is what they're faced with on low-populated servers(in terms of people playing ranked, that is)

More queue pops do not necessarily translate into a good thing for Ranked. It needs to be filled with competitive players.

Unfortunately this game has driven away about 99% of the competitive PvP'ers to this point, so these are all just wasted efforts by Bioware.

Inevitably this quest will become participation based, just like the Reg WZ quests. You are already getting comms just for being in the WZ, and you can get a lot even in a loss if you are not a window licker. But its never enough for the casual crowd, they need to be able to coast mindlessly through everything and be rewarded for it. /facepalm

Cash, you know I never been a dev apologist, but recently, even though I an still agitated at some stuff, Alex has had more interaction with the forum crowd than anyone outside of Rob. At a minimum, I can say they have put their cards on the table. At least now, players know that they have a proverbial "pulse". PvP is on life support, but at least the channels are open in a public arena. This is a fairly big change compared to where we were a year ago when they removed 8v8 and just dropped the Mic..

I know we have lived on a hope and prayer the last two years, and its hard to ask for more time, but let's give it one more whirl.

Alex,

I'm not starting a petition or anything, but if you want to decrease Ranked Que times, look at the reasons why players left in the first place and fix them. I am sure everyone here would agree most of those actions are 100% doable. See how things go and continue to fix the mote long term issues like bolster/PvP gear, and ranked restrictions.

To do now:

Add 8v8 for team and solo ranked.

Add epic rewards as described in the stick based on some performance metrics.

Continually update rewards as to not be "stale".

Reduce ranked comms cost on consumables.

See what happens...

I'll "re-evaluate my line of thinking" and opinions when presented with evidence and/or logics countering my arguments, thank you very much for the suggestion though ;) I was, in my post, talking about the motivation for doing ranked at all, not the abuse/harrasment that people usually suffer when playing pvp(which happens at all levels of skill, ranked and unranked, in my experience) And while people queing with fully augmented Obroan gear and knowledgable of advanced arena tactics would be an awesome situation, fact still remains that is far from the reality (on most servers, I'd believe). To change that, Bioware implements dailies/weeklies to make more people que, which is a good (and hopefully) effectual idea, but my argument still stands that it will not be an effective way of motivating more people to join in this game-mode, as long as you're only rewarded by winning, as such a thing would be very far off for people not skilled in arena play already, as that is what they're faced with on low-populated servers(in terms of people playing ranked, that is)

Rancor mount should be the only evidence you need. You didn't get it if you didn't win.

It doesn't appear you read what I wrote at all.

We don't need to fill the queue with players who don't want to do ranked simply to get a daily done or to get comms. We need to incentivise those who are already doing ranked to do it more often and attempt to attract more players that want to do ranked by showing it can be competitive and fun.

... There are "ranked" dailies/weeklies?!! Really?!

If so ... well sh-*, I've been missing out. Then again, I play ranked arenas for 3 reasons: to win, for the fun of bashing up other players, and for slightly better gear -- in that order. I don't take unranked WZs seriously anymore; b'cos, that is a gear-grind casual romper-room glomp-smash mosh pit of chaos. But when I do, I do it for the lulz.

Ranked, on the other hand ... the few times it does pop, I find that the quality of the players is decent. For example: I've been in a match where we were duking it out for a good 20 minutes at least this one time -- for just the 1st round. We won that match in the end, but wow that was a good match up.

I do enjoy Solo Ranked Arenas staying at 4v4. It's easier to get into, and it's simple stupid fun to just beat the sh-* out of the other team's players. No goals, no objectives, easy to understand who to focus, and pre-round strats in order to win. Don't need VOIP, don't need a guild (but they can/do help). Solo Ranked Arenas are great where they are!

However, I would like to see the Grouped Ranked be 8v8 Warzones! Definitely! There should be more variety at ranked, and - hell - if the PVEers can get a 16-man DP HM group going, it should be doable to get some PvP guild groups going too. Maybe, they just need to make it a limited-time window of opportunity. Like a UFC Fight Night, so as to help organize the groups. Like, on certain days/nights of the week - and between such-and-such hours - Ranked Warzones become open to ranked competitors! And with it, more (or better) rewards for joining up and winning (more coms, a chance at a rare drop, something good) -- so as to incentivize the initiative to get guilded groups running. Cuz, in Ranked WZs the rules of engagement keep changing as the match progresses, and you need to have VOIP and good communications going, plus have a well-rounded out team comp in order to do well and win. Think of it as along the same lines as running a core ops group -- just PvP-style. Well, that's just what I think anyways.

So, if BW isn't going to (or can't) get X-Server Ranked matches going, then they really ought to look at getting 8v8 WZs back into Grouped Ranked. Keep Solo Ranked where it is, but definitely 8v8 grouped is the way to go. In the end, it would serve to eventually increase more participation as more players get comfortable learning within their guilds, and then have the confidence to join up in Solo Ranked too.

Edited by PifferPuff

i'm sorry but people in this thread greatly overestimate the amount of skill needed to win in solo ranked. I played a ton of games over easter as a dps sage, which i practiced for about 2 days before, and i won my fair share of games. And i'm a 35 years old banker. If you have proper gear and are somewhat competent, you will win games in ranked.

If you have no idea how to play your class or can't be arsed to get augments, grenades, medpacs you shouldn't be in ranked in the first place. Nobody whitout a disability is incapable of getting good enough for ranked, if you are not now then play 200 practice games in regular and you'll become good enough.

We don't need to fill the queue with players who don't want to do ranked simply to get a daily done or to get comms. We need to incentivise those who are already doing ranked to do it more often and attempt to attract more players that want to do ranked by showing it can be competitive and fun.

People who currently queue for ranked games have their reasons and don't need further incentives. It's growing the population of ranked participation that you need. More players means more competition. Incentives need to lure more participation.

Give people a reason to queue and you'll see the queue times decrease and the skill of competition increase.

Rancor mount should be the only evidence you need. You didn't get it if you didn't win.

And have the Rancor mount increased the amount of players playing ranked? Surely some yes, but enough to make ranked pop regulary on the low-populated servers? Not in my experience. If I'm wrong, then why are Bio implementing ranked dailies/weeklies to increase the amount of players?

Don't get me wrong, in an ideal world I'd rather just have ranked for the most skilled pvp'ers, just as (current) nightmare modes are the "game-mode" for hardcore pve'ers. I enjoy both, but as it is on my server, save for spending most of saturday afternoon/evening que'ing to get my fill, I don't have any other realistic options to get to play ranked. So yes, choosing between the "pride" of having ranked for the best of the best only, and actually playing ranked, I'd choose actually playing it (regulary). And while "Cross-server ques" would be an ideal solution for the problem, we'll all just have to deal with the fact that is isn't comming (anytime soon atleast)

And have the Rancor mount increased the amount of players playing ranked? Surely some yes, but enough to make ranked pop regulary on the low-populated servers? Not in my experience. If I'm wrong, then why are Bio implementing ranked dailies/weeklies to increase the amount of players?

Don't get me wrong, in an ideal world I'd rather just have ranked for the most skilled pvp'ers, just as (current) nightmare modes are the "game-mode" for hardcore pve'ers. I enjoy both, but as it is on my server, save for spending most of saturday afternoon/evening que'ing to get my fill, I don't have any other realistic options to get to play ranked. So yes, choosing between the "pride" of having ranked for the best of the best only, and actually playing ranked, I'd choose actually playing it (regulary). And while "Cross-server ques" would be an ideal solution for the problem, we'll all just have to deal with the fact that is isn't comming (anytime soon atleast)

Yes massively. It nearly doubled the total number of overall players with a rating in a few weeks.

Again.. that's the point. Something as simple as a mount effectively decreased Que times in half during primetime, but what about now?

Well, they effectively "remove" the incentive and que times increase. I wonder why?

You can't be that naive to think rank needs any of this for increased participation. Ranked need stuff that is "worth it", and dailies are not worth it for anyone in the bolster system. It won't change a damn thang...

But I'm at the point where I'm curious as to how I would fair in ranked, and if more competition would actually help me improve more. If you guys could have it your way, would you think someone like myself would be better off in solo queue or group queue. Granted the group queue would probably be people with similar skill sets as mine.

I think either of the ranked queues would be fine for you to try out as long as you go in with a recognition that this is a no holds barred competitive environment and you may very well get your but kicked hard at first. If you go in with that recognition and have the gear you state you do you will be welcomed by the majority of veteran PvPers. The overwhelming majority of vets only complain about those that come in with gear that doesn't even bolster well, a lack of augments, and no stims. If you are geared well enough to have a chance with skilled play (and you are), then you do belong in ranked as long as you keep trying to get better.

Nothing wrong with elitism. You made a stupid comment, so you got called out for it. Don't be mad.

Nothing I said was stupid. You just keep proving my point with more comments like this man. People don't want these kind of rude attitudes in games. People didn't used to act like this towards eachother in gaming. And, it's not your job to set online "calling people out". There was nothing to be "called out" on in the first place. Yet again, your attitude problem again. You can be competitive, but being rude, elitist, and condescending, no. Not qualities of a good player man.

No, it's about winning. And if ranked never popped on your server, then you ARE a casual for not xferring to a real server.

No, it's about playing a game for whatever reason you want.

A "real server" what exactly is that? O_o. I wasn't aware any server wasn't real.

And, exactly how would I afford to transfer 16 toon's to another server? :eek: One transfer is already expensive. Not everyone has alot of money. And, i'll bet you'll try to find something to insult in that too.

Why? PvE gear shouldn't be in PvP, and PvP gear shouldn't be in PvE. You keep basing your support/opposition for proposed game decisions on how it will affect you and your friends, not whether or not it will be good for the game as a whole.

Removing the PVE use of PVP relics wont do any good for the game as a whole since a very large amount of people use the PVP relics in PVE because the Brutalizer is second best in slot out of the entire game.

Have a good one man. I am done talking to people with your attitude on here. Gaming doesn't need it.

Edited by DarthVengeant

No, it's about playing a game for whatever reason you want.

A "real server" what exactly is that? O_o. I wasn't aware any server wasn't real.

And, exactly how would I afford to transfer 16 toon's to another server? :eek: One transfer is already expensive. Not everyone has alot of money. And, i'll bet you'll try to find something to insult in that too.

Removing the PVE use of PVP relics wont do any good for the game as a whole since a very large amount of people use the PVP relics in PVE because the Brutalizer is second best in slot out of the entire game.

Have a good one man. I am done talking to people with your attitude on here. Gaming doesn't need it.

Look. I don't subscribe to PvP vets insulting those who want to get into the game and have a different opinion so I support you from that standpoint.

Otherwise I largely disagree with you though. Having any gear obtained through PvP be a good idea to get for PvE is a problem because the current setup of regular warzones encourages casual gear farming and playing with folks doing that is not fun for PvP vets. PvP relics should not be a good option for PvE. Making them not work in raids/FP's may not be the way to do it, but some easily available PvE relics should be better for PvE. It would be miserable for PUG op groups to have to put up with casual PvP focused players farming gear for PvP purposes, and the reverse is also true.

As for playing ranked any way you want, it's fine if that is what you want to do but be aware that many of us play the game mode purely for competition and will be less than understanding if other players are not bringing the same level of effort. This is the one part of PvP in this game that even somewhat caters to those of us that want competition in PvP, so ver PvP players will not be understanding if you come into the game mode with less than max effort. Regular warzones and arenas are available if you want to obtain PvP gear while playing more casually.