Lightside vs Darkside Powers?

SenatorPalpaTANG

So I was reading a thread debating Revan's ability to use both sides of the force simultaneously and started wondering. What powers are unique to the lightside of the force?

Both sides can use the force to enhance their physical attributes. Both sides can use TK in various forms. Both sides have visions and can predict future events. Both sides can effect the minds of others. Both sides have ways of healing or extending their lives unnaturally.

BUT, then darksiders have UNLIMITED POWAAAA (aka Force Lightning), while lightsiders get...?

I don't really understand which skills are supposedly lightsided. What would be the advantage of using both sides vs just going full darkside?

mostly the light side uses powers used to stun or subdue an enemy without killing him.

But that's not unique. A darksider could do the same, but instead chooses to crush or choke the enemy.

If you're saying it comes down to the application rather than the ability itself, how are light and dark balanced when darkside has lightning as its ultimate attack while light side has no counter part? :rak_02:

So I was reading a thread debating Revan's ability to use both sides of the force simultaneously and started wondering. What powers are unique to the lightside of the force?

Both sides can use the force to enhance their physical attributes. Both sides can use TK in various forms. Both sides have visions and can predict future events. Both sides can effect the minds of others. Both sides have ways of healing or extending their lives unnaturally.

BUT, then darksiders have UNLIMITED POWAAAA (aka Force Lightning), while lightsiders get...?

I don't really understand which skills are supposedly lightsided. What would be the advantage of using both sides vs just going full darkside?

Great question! I have no idea! lol

I've always thought it was stupid that there are powers that only a particular side of the force can use. Like what makes lightning a dark side ability? OOOooooh I'm shooting lighining out of my hands so that makes me evil MuWAHAHAA!!! I've never understood that.

I've always thought it was stupid that there are powers that only a particular side of the force can use. Like what makes lightning a dark side ability? OOOooooh I'm shooting lighining out of my hands so that makes me evil MuWAHAHAA!!! I've never understood that.

Well Lightning isn't strictly Dark Side. We saw Plo Koon use Force Lightning on a couple of occasions. Luke has also used Lightning. The Jedi discourage Lightning because it requires emotion for power. Specifically darker emotions. Few Jedi can master their emotions enough to project Force Lightning. The Sith use it due to their emotions. Their Lightning is fueled by emotion and the Dark Side.

As to the OP. Wall of Light is a Light Side power (obviously). Sever Force is also a Light Side power. But I think Sith that were Jedi and had a knowledge of this ability would be able to use it. Hence Kreia's use of it on Dantooine. As Yoda said, "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense. Never for attack.". The Sith use the Force to destroy their enemies. The Jedi will only resort to killing an enemy if they have no choice. They prefer to subdue the enemy. This is the first thing they are taught in Lightsaber training. They are taught to defeat their foes without killing them.

My opinion has always been that generally it's not the ability that is dark or light but how it is used. A Jedi can pick up a grenade and throw it away from the civilian it landed by, a Sith can lift the same civilian off the ground as he chokes him. They are both using the same 'power' but for very different intentions and desired outcomes.

With lightning it's a little different, as Aurbere mentioned above a few Jedi have used it before (I believe Luke and Yoda used green lightning) the main issue however is what it is being used for. What is a good use for Force Lighning?

Unless you are only going to use it to make toast, charge batteries and kick start generators I'm struggling to think of a 'good' use for it

Well also look at yoda. In AOTC when he used that force duel against Dooku he blocked and re-directed Dooku's force lightning back at him.

Plus you tend to find more often than not jedi tend, and i mean tend there are exceptions to the rule but they tend to be better at telekinetics because they don't devote themselves to the darker things like force sorcery and lightning.

But Jedi moreso use their powers for defensive and usually have better defensive abilities than the sith do and Jedi have the most powerful HEALERS in the galaxy because to heal requires compassion and serenity which jedi have in abundance.

Jedi have the most powerful HEALERS in the galaxy because to heal requires compassion and serenity which jedi have in abundance.

Cade Skywalker used the Dark side to heal and could bring people back from the dead (recently killed ones at least)

Edit, He did later switch to using the light but most of his use with it was through the Dark side.

I feel his healing is OP anyway, most Dark side healing has down sides, this one was that it pulled him close to falling. Not much of a downside for someone that spent most of his life on the edge anyway. Once he figured out how to do it with the light side he could stop people from dying with no downside.

Edited by DesmoASD
Add details

the impression I have always had is that it's how you used the powers. If you draw your power from the force out of fear or anger then you are using the darkside. We see Luke in ROTJ use Force choke while he is calm and at peace.

It was really the games that made a distinction between light and darkside powers.

Cade Skywalker used the Dark side to heal and could bring people back from the dead (recently killed ones at least)

Edit, He did later switch to using the light but most of his use with it was through the Dark side.

I feel his healing is OP anyway, most Dark side healing has down sides, this one was that it pulled him close to falling. Not much of a downside for someone that spent most of his life on the edge anyway. Once he figured out how to do it with the light side he could stop people from dying with no downside.

see, in that last sentence you proved my point. Yes he could do it with the dark side, but at the cost of himself, once he figured out how to do it with the light side, he could almost do it at will and with zero consequence. And yeah totally agree about his healing ability. too over the top.