Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why would I play an Assassin over an Operative?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Why would I play an Assassin over an Operative?

CaptainObvius
06.25.2019 , 10:04 PM | #1
I know you could read the title sarcastically but I'm quite serious. I'm trying to figure out the benefits of why I would play an Assassin over an Operative both PvE and PvP.

Well first let's look at all the things they can both do:

Stealth
Sap
Direct dmg spec or dot spec
Slow targets
Combat stealth
Both are COMPLETELY screwed when stunned in PvP. You can't do crap. It's amazing that so many ranged highly mobile dps classes can pop shields and damage immunities while stunned but melee which have to be within 4m to do anything but these 2 melee classes are just straight up SCREWED when stunned. Can't teleport to break it, can't combat stealth to break it? I mean what?! NOTHING? Can't even reduce 30% dmg while stunned? LOL!

Now let's look at the differences:

Operative can heal or dps. When you're in dps mode you still get access to great healing skills.
You can disappear out of combat, rush off and heal back to full life fairly easily and quickly.
Your teleport can be used to an enemy OR a friend (Assassin teleport only enemy)
Can cloak your entire group
Can cleanse 2 effects on an 11s cooldown (Assassin cleanse 1 minute)
Can combat res people in PvE (Extremely helpful sometimes)
Can revive people unlimited times without a 15 minute cooldown (Extremely helpful sometimes too)
Can off heal in PvE or PvP if someone is in trouble, or cleanse allies of 2 negative effects (Great when PvP'ing against hatred)
Get's 2 stuns, Debilitate (fixed) AND Flashbang. (Assassin only gets 1)
Primary attack in dot spec is 10M range (Assassin has to be within 4m almost constantly)
Can dodge roll TWICE on a 10s cooldown (Assassin is 15s even with perk chosen)
Can lower targets damage by 50% when sleep dart wears off, due to damage or not (Assassin requires damage dealt)
Has more skills and attacks than he can possibly use in a rotation and some good situational skills for aoe dmg or instant damage.
Can spec for flashbang to reduce target dmg by 20%!
Can spec to gain health WHILE fighting along with 20% reduced damage!
Can land both of his big dots in dot spec from 30m range, one of them being aoe! This is a huge advantage as you can get your dots ticket before you have to get in melee range.
Can return 150% damage back to the attacker while evading!
Edit: Can still deal basic attack damage from 30m!
Feels a lot like a dps with some secondary healing abilities.

Now the Assassin:

Does about the same damage as Operative
Gets a skill called Spike, which is nearly useless during a fight cause you're only stealthed at the start and maybe once in the middle.
Doesn't have near as many attacks making rotations rather boring and unpredictable as they are based on 9s cooldowns or random triggers.
He can guard and taunt stuff! YAY! Wish it were more useful more often as a dps.... Don't get me wrong guard is easily the strongest skill in the game but the fact it feels like you're missing out on so many other utilities... does that make up for it as a dps? I'm thinking no.
Has to stay in stealth for 5 seconds to 'heal' unable to fight during that time before he can pop out, to get full benefit from his legendary heal perk.
Has a very long lasting cc, whirlwind. Which can be great if used extremely intelligently. Problem is most people end up breaking it, or will interrupt the cast so you have to use the instant cast version which is really hard cause there's a few other great perks at that point to miss out on.
Feels a lot like a dps with no benefits of any tanking abilities at all.

Why does Operative feel so damn sexy with so many utilities at hand who really feels like a dps who can also off heal but the Assassin feels like he's missing skills, has terrible rotations and does not at all feel like a dps who can off tank.

I easily see 5 times as many Operatives as Assassins and I'm figuring out why.

I mean what am i missing here? Where's the Appeal of Assassin over Operative?

You could say maybe cause you like to tank when ur not dps'ing I suppose? But Jugg tanks so much better than Assassin it's not even funny. The Juggernauts ability to instantly boost his own health 30% and heal WHILE taking damage allowing him to dish out damage simultaneously just makes him seem so much better as a tank.

Help me understand this one?

LD_Little_Dragon
06.25.2019 , 11:12 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainObvius View Post
Can revive people unlimited times without a 15 minute cooldown (Extremely helpful sometimes too)
not unlimited, 5 minute cd on combat rez

Quote:
Can off heal in PvE or PvP if someone is in trouble, or cleanse allies of 2 negative effects (Great when PvP'ing against hatred)
2 random effects, and in dps stance can only cleanse tech/physical effects which means their cleanse is useless against hatred dots (creeping terror, btw, cannot be cleansed by anyone)

Quote:
Get's 2 stuns, Diversion AND Flashbang. (Assassin only gets 1)
No idea what you mean by diversion. Ops get the usual one hardstun, and one soft stun (same as Sins). Concealment Ops get the attack that stops an oppenent from turning (but doesn't stun them) but comparatively Deception Sins get a long range soft stun (low slash)

Quote:
Can return 150% damage back to the attacker while evading!
You spec for the 150% reflect you no longer avoid taking damage yourself. Situationally good, but mostly bad.

Quote:
He can guard and taunt stuff! YAY! Wish it were more useful more often as a dps
Depends on the content you run. DPS sins can take the place of an off-tank in many situations.

Quote:
Has a very long lasting cc, whirlwind.
You've confused assassin whirlwind with the sorc whirlwhind. It's only 8s on Sin in pve, comparable to the Ops flashbang, but with a longer range on whirlwind.

Quote:
Why does Operative feel so damn sexy with so many utilities at hand who really feels like a dps who can also off heal but the Assassin feels like he's missing skills, has terrible rotations and does not at all feel like a dps who can off tank.
You obviously prefer operative gameplay to assassin, that's your personal preference.

Quote:
Where's the Appeal of Assassin over Operative?
60% damage absorbtion every 20s (15s with the utility).

Quote:
But Jugg tanks so much better than Assassin it's not even funny.
Who told you that? A well-played Assassin tank can do just as well, if not better, than a well-played Jugg tank.

Quote:
Help me understand this one?
Operative and Assassin do not have the same type of gameplay, and you should play whichever one you like the best. It's not a question of 'which is better' it's a question of 'which is better FOR YOU'.

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=958684 is a great collection of guides for the game that is worth looking through
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

CaptainObvius
06.25.2019 , 11:17 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by LD_Little_Dragon View Post
not unlimited, 5 minute cd on combat rez

2 random effects, and in dps stance can only cleanse tech/physical effects which means their cleanse is useless against hatred dots (creeping terror, btw, cannot be cleansed by anyone)

No idea what you mean by diversion. Ops get the usual one hardstun, and one soft stun (same as Sins). Concealment Ops get the attack that stops an oppenent from turning (but doesn't stun them) but comparatively Deception Sins get a long range soft stun (low slash)

You spec for the 150% reflect you no longer avoid taking damage yourself. Situationally good, but mostly bad.

Depends on the content you run. DPS sins can take the place of an off-tank in many situations.

You've confused assassin whirlwind with the sorc whirlwhind. It's only 8s on Sin in pve, comparable to the Ops flashbang, but with a longer range on whirlwind.

You obviously prefer operative gameplay to assassin, that's your personal preference.

60% damage absorbtion every 20s (15s with the utility).

Who told you that? A well-played Assassin tank can do just as well, if not better, than a well-played Jugg tank.

Operative and Assassin do not have the same type of gameplay, and you should play whichever one you like the best. It's not a question of 'which is better' it's a question of 'which is better FOR YOU'.

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=958684 is a great collection of guides for the game that is worth looking through
Yes thanks for correcting some of my mistakes.

I also forgot to add in the fact that Operative can shoot his basic attack at 30m so if he gets stuck or kited he can at least to SOMETHING during that time.

But you still didn't answer my question. Why would I want to play Assassin over Operative?

They're almost the same. Both Stealth. Both supposedly 'melee'.

I"m trying to see the benefits of why you'd play Assassin over the Operative. Different playstyle or not.

mrwayn
06.26.2019 , 04:20 AM | #4
But you still didn't answer my question. Why would I want to play Assassin over Operative?
The answer is simple: you don't.
It doesn't take sherlock holmes to see, that you've already made up your mind. If you like operative better than sin, play that... nothing wrong with that. It doesn't really matter what other people think is better/more fun, if you like to play ops, you like to play ops. That's totally fine.
You want free stuff? This is my referal link: http://www.swtor.com/r/CfpyNm

Syroe
06.26.2019 , 04:28 AM | #5
Yes thanks for correcting some of my mistakes.

They're almost the same. Both Stealth. Both supposedly 'melee'.

I"m trying to see the benefits of why you'd play Assassin over the Operative. Different playstyle or not.
They're almost the same in the way that a bird and a cow are almost the same by virtue of both being stuck in a tree.
Nice bait, though.

Werronious
06.26.2019 , 08:28 AM | #6
My problems with shadow/assasin:

Serenity/Hatred: dot heals are garbage, they need to increase heal ratio by 500%(now healing 160hp) and only recieving
heals from 1 primary target (5 would be too op).
force in balance(death field) shoud heal 50% dmg dealt(not 10% like now)
squelch(eradicate) dot criticals should make instant serenity strike(leeching strike)
increase serenity strike(leeching strike) dmg by 30% at least and range to 30yds.
increase range dots by 30yds.
change double strike to something else, its borring.
give us heal dot from sage(sorc) which ticks for 1.5-2k (they took our teleport plus operative has heal
dot plus pure casting heal)
AND FINALLY when using force cloak for GODS SAKE let us not wait 50sec for a combat to wear off(we should be immune to that).

CaptainObvius
06.26.2019 , 06:32 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Syroe View Post
They're almost the same in the way that a bird and a cow are almost the same by virtue of both being stuck in a tree.
Nice bait, though.
I actually want to like the Assassin more.

From a min/max standpoint though I just can't see a reason to play one over the Operative.

I was hoping someone here would point out some flaws in my thinking or open my eyes to something I'm not seeing.

Please feel free to comment if you have something to add.

CaptainObvius
06.26.2019 , 06:41 PM | #8
I know you could read the title sarcastically but I'm quite serious. I'm trying to figure out the benefits of why I would play an Assassin over an Operative both PvE and PvP.
Quote: Originally Posted by mrwayn View Post
It doesn't take sherlock holmes to see, that you've already made up your mind.
At what point in my question did you come to the conclusion I already made up my mind?

The part where I said I'm trying to figure out the benefits of an Assassin over Operative?

The point where I sated I'm quite seriously interested in what the advantages would be?

The point where I ask for your opinions on what would make the Assassin possibly better?

Obviously made up my mind I guess. Geeze I shoulda just named the thread "Don't ever play an Assassin just play an Operative" because I've apparently already made up my mind according to you.

But wait the name of the thread is WHY would I play an Assassin over an Operative. Implying, HMMMM, maybe someone could persuade me to see the light and coerce me to believe the Assassin could possibly be good in certain situations or better overall even.

But did you try to do that at all?

No you just came in to a post and want to explain how you literally have nothing to add to the thread at all other than throw some attitude. Try being constructive when you reply to a post for once. If you have nothing to add, don't post.

It's not that hard.

Zurules
06.26.2019 , 11:06 PM | #9
I actually want to like the Assassin more.

From a min/max standpoint though I just can't see a reason to play one over the Operative.

I was hoping someone here would point out some flaws in my thinking or open my eyes to something I'm not seeing.

Please feel free to comment if you have something to add.
I can only speak for the pvp part but honestly, when i read your post on what the assassins do differently, It is extremely clear to me that you do not know how to play the game properly, let alone assassins.

1.Guard has absolutely nothing to do with utilities. I am dam certain that any good shadow in pvp and id bet for pve too, would never take the healing when u vanish utility, it is so bad.

2. If you are gonna cast whirlwind, you always have the insta whirlwind utility. (cc is one of the assassins greatest strengths btw) anyone who casts that ability with get interupted by any good team easily.

3. You forgot to mention low slash which is a 4 second mezz on a 15 second cooldown which is another way to interrupt or cc someone out for a quick swap.

4. You seem to not understand the very basic nature of what a STUN is supposed to do to the player who is stunned.
Yes, sorcs have phase walk and bubble (but they dont have really any dcds). mercs can pop reflect, but it with only stop you from bursting her down. Aoe and dots go right passed it and make reflect useless. mara's i think can use their 20% dr while stunned if im not mistaken too, but they normally have that on most of the time anyways.

5. you compared force speed to the ops roll. when an op rolls, he cannot attack. assassins can attack while using force speed.

6. there are quite a few more smaller things too, but since your missing so much of the obvious stuff, you won't understand the smaller ones.

Every class has its strengths and weaknesses and to variant degrees for any given situation.
The reason you see more operatives than assassins is most likely because if played correctly, an op can beat everyone in 1v1 situations. I believe most people view how good they are, based on their 1v1 play. How many times have you had people ask to duel you to prove they are better players than the other? It is this flawed thinking which shows to me that all the players who think like that, probably do not understand the game they are even playing.

Here are three tips i would recommend to any assassin player for pvp.

1. NEVER take the healing from vanish legendary utility

2. Always take insta whirlwind if playing deception/infiltration or tank. I often take it while playing the dot spec, but there are a few situations i do not take it.

3. USE YOUR TAUNTS (both of them). Its off the gcd so its basically a free 30% dr if the taunted target does not attack you. (this is such a basic concept for any class that can taunt, yet i see way too often people playing these classes and have 0 protection at the end- not even talking about using guard as a dps which is even better in certain situations)

*Again, everything i have said is about PvP*
All Galaxy Hybrid-Clicker Shadow