Ashara VS Other Companions

Pardessa

Ok, I'm a Sith Inquisitor. I enjoy learning the story of all my companions. I was able to get all of my companions to 10,000 fairly easy through a combination of questing and companion gifts. All of them except Ashara.

Is it just me or is she extremely picky and fickle? Both in the decisions she likes as well as the gifts she likes. I just found out that she won't even accept the majority of gifts from me because I'm a girl. Now typically this wouldn't bother me as she is the male romance option.

However, I did a little research. She is the ONLY romance companion that will not accept THAT many gifts from the same sex. The majority of all romanceable companions seem to only be particular about courting gifts as it should be. However, it seems Ashara will not accept courting, luxury, technology, or imperial memorabilia from female characters after reaching 2500 affection.

I thought, ok no big deal I'm sure it is the same for say my husband if he were to try and give gifts to Andronikos. How wrong I was! The only kinds of gifts he won't accept from my husband are courting gifts, makes sense! Not only that but he also gives MORE affection for almost all gifts he will accept from my husbands male character than what my female character will gain for the same gifts.

This only seems to be the case with Sith Inquisitor romance companions. I looked up the other classes and they aren't nearly as particular and make a lot more sense.

I was wondering if anyone else thinks this is a bit ridiculous? I've been questing with Ashara for over a week now and I've barely managed to get her over 2500 affection through questing AND gift giving. Once my husband got her over 2500 he was able to get her to 10,000 in no time because she would accept more gifts from him but since I'm a female character it seems I will have to continue struggling to gain affection with her.

Please let me know if any of the information I have found is incorrect. I got most of this off Torhead because I've been trying to get Ashara to 2500 for sometime. Finally managed it today and went to give her some luxury gifts I had saved back and she still wouldn't accept them, which was not the case for my husband.

I am seeing this as well on my Sorcerer.

Level 1 gift will give 26 nearly no matter what type were any other crew member will get 90 off their favorite.

I believe she is near 2400 or 2500 but I haven't gifted her in a while to see if there is any gain changes.

I also was not mean to her during the recruitment of her even though I am dark side. No force shock no senseless violence.

I have nearly bugged this in game for a week now but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ashara annoys the hell out of me for gaining affection as well.

Her only saving grace is that she has the bonus in diplomacy so most of the time I just have her off looking for companion gifts in the hope that she'll come back with something (anything) that I can give to her.

Right now I'm just sticking with Khem for running around and conversations and I'll just go back and do the romancing with her later on. I also have a bay nearly full with just courting presents so once she does reach 2500, or whatever it is, I'm hopefully going to be able to buy her love all that more quickly.

I don't know how much more annoying she'd be if I was playing a fem character though. I'd just focus on the rest of them loving you first and keep sending her off for gifts if you can. She'll eventually come around.

I think it makes sense that she doesnt care about gifts. When she joins the inquisitor she is disillusioned and uncertain, coming to grips with being a jedi in exile driven away from the rest.

She is such an emotional mess in the beginning that it makes perfect sense for her not care about gifts much imo.

Also it gets MUCH better when you get to 2000 affection and over that first barrier-of-entry. Especially if you get romantically involved.

I am seeing this as well on my Sorcerer.

Level 1 gift will give 26 nearly no matter what type were any other crew member will get 90 off their favorite.

I believe she is near 2400 or 2500 but I haven't gifted her in a while to see if there is any gain changes.

I also was not mean to her during the recruitment of her even though I am dark side. No force shock no senseless violence.

I have nearly bugged this in game for a week now but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The real promblem is that she should be convertable to dark side. As a ds sith inquisitor and as a male she is my only female option for romance and it is really lame that she can only be light side. Thus the main way I increase her affection is through gifts which is really a pain. This is a huge flaw by bioware that is just driving me crazy, but that might be because I also have a juggernaunt, and sith warriors get a jedi that can be converted to the dark side.

The real promblem is that she should be convertable to dark side. As a ds sith inquisitor and as a male she is my only female option for romance and it is really lame that she can only be light side. Thus the main way I increase her affection is through gifts which is really a pain. This is a huge flaw by bioware that is just driving me crazy, but that might be because I also have a juggernaunt, and sith warriors get a jedi that can be converted to the dark side.

Yes indeed. This is the Nth thread that mentions the same thing, and not being able to convert her is my personally biggest gripe in the entire SI storyline which is pretty crap to begin with. I wish we got Bioware comment on this.

I think it makes sense that she doesnt care about gifts. When she joins the inquisitor she is disillusioned and uncertain, coming to grips with being a jedi in exile driven away from the rest.

She is such an emotional mess in the beginning that it makes perfect sense for her not care about gifts much imo.

Also it gets MUCH better when you get to 2000 affection and over that first barrier-of-entry. Especially if you get romantically involved.

In regards to it being easier once you get her over 2000+ that is my problem. I got her to 2500 and she STILL won't accept new gifts from me simply because I am female. I understand her not taking courting gifts, I completely get that, it would be silly if she took courting gifts. However, once again, since I am female not only will she not take courting gifts, she won't take luxury, technology, or imperial memorabilia, where as after 2500 she would accept all of those from my husband. That is my complaint. Luxury I could even understand, but how does technology and imperial mem make any sense JUST because I'm female? It doesn't!

A lot of you responding to this get the general idea but missed the big picture of my post, or just read the first couple paragraphs and stopped. Other class companions do not have this same issue. Most of them simply won't take courting gifts from the same sex, which is exactly how it should be.

Her decisions are even ridiculous! I'm dark side, but since I want affection with her, if I have her out during a conversation sometimes I'll take light side points, and there have been times I have LOST affection with her for a light side choice and vice versa, I have gained affection for some dark side decisions.

My complaint here is that BW made Ashara far too complicated. Make her like one type of gift over others that has nothing to do with where her affection is just like other companions. Example, my BH is a female. Well Mako still LOVES technology gifts from me even though I'm a female.

I spent the longest and most boring 4 hours and 100k to get her to 5000 and then gave up. If she didn't go invisible with the slave Leia outfit on I would get her to 10k. At this point all she does is ride the pine. I don't even use her to run missions anymore because the economy is stagnant.

I see this as well. I damn hate her for being so picky. 0 for everything except weapon/military gear/republic item. And they all give the same affection point, which is a meager 24. I increased the gift's rank, but only 26. 40 if I give her blue.

I wouldn't bother with her except she got + synthweaving. Grrr I hate her Jedi talking thing.

the fact that she doesn't have favoite give before 2000 sounds very fishy to me, it could be a bug maybe but if it's working as intented then something is completely off.

you would have to spend enourmous amounts of money to get her to 10000 affection.

Converting her to the darkside would have been an awesome twist to the companion system but it still needs some work.

While you can't really convert her I think it makes her more interesting. Even so her preferences aren't LS options, I've had her approve of quite a few dark side options as well.

The thing with Ashara is that she like rational decisions, decisive action and making sure what you're heading into. Just blindly storming some fortress won't gain approval with Ashara (probably will with Khem and Xalek though), asking about the defenses and THEN storming the fortress is something that probably WILL gain approval with Ashara. Destroying your enemies also tends to get her approval, randomly murdering innocents not so much.

However not all her rep gains seem to be consistent, there's this Sith Lord on Belsavis that tries to boss my DARTH around and she approves of being nice and subservient (which doesn't seem to make sense to me as usually she approves of standing on your worth, something she DOES do in another daily quest later on the same planet)...

Anyway, if you want to gain quite a bit of affection with her picking the right answers during the Belsavis dailies is a really great way to gain quite a bit of affection with her (I think I get around 400-500 each time I go through there)

Edited by MareLooke

I'm having a rough time getting her past -2 so I don;t know what you guys are complaining about.

-3 Ashara Affection I'm working towards you! :D

Yes, my goal is to get her to hate me so much she breaks the game's code and leaves. If it happens I'll let you all know... ;)

I assume that you people who havent had any increase in her affection gains, havent done any romancing with her? You are female characters or something? Cause thats one thing that WILL increase her affection gains.. Flirting with her.

Sounds like a design oversight that they didnt think affection mattered for female player characters too..

Edited by Karkais

The real question is, why is she on my ship?

No really she doesn't like gifts, she disagrees with everything I do so why can't I put her in the air lock.

I'm keeping her around to continue torturing her with my presence and rub her nose in all the Jedi I kill...

Maybe someday she'll crack. :D

I don't know how many unique convos/missions the companions have, but I haven't been buying gifts for any of them, and now I assume I'd outlevel any missions they give me. I did a couple for Khem since he's always with me and I'm evil enough to build dialogue friend-points.

I'd kind of like to see what the companions have to offer but if you didn't play the game exactly how they intended (I guess constantly buying gifts for companions throughout the game and doing their missions at the exact right level?) you miss out on whatever the companions offered your unique class story.

Couldn't Bioware just have the companions organically talk to you as the game goes on like Mass Effect?

I guess if I do another class I'll buy incredibly lame "gifts" for my companions constantly to unlock their conversations and missions, but I'm kind of annoyed I was even supposed to. Just let me talk to my companions on the ship. I have no idea who Ashara and the pirate and the nerdy healer are, and this is all unique Sith Inquisitor content Bioware should be throwing at me to encourage people to play and enjoy alt characters with their own unique content.

Great I have this to look forward to again. There is a similar problem actually with Jaesa for the SW. I am a female playing a female toon and I have the other 4 up to 10k with no problems. Not so much with Jaesa. My warrior is almost LS 4 and I left Jaesa LS since I have no need to romance her. Now I do get affection gains from the gifts it says she likes but they are much lower than any of the others and I have yet to figure out what she likes in a conversation. It doesn't sound quite as bugged as this though and I really don't look forward to it :/ Good thing I only play female toons so couldn't care less about romancing her. Not looking forward to another difficult companion though :rolleyes:

I'm a little disappointed to hear all this $#!7 talk about Ashara since I've been waiting to get her. Haha. I've seen the list of companions for the Inquisitor (I have a 34 Assassin right now) and she is the only one that looks immediately interesting to have. Luckily my character is female so I don't have to worry too much about courting her.

If I have any different luck in terms of affections I'll post here and let people know how I proceeded and what I gave her for gifts.

Edit: In case no one has seen this site it seems to be a pretty decent and accurate list of companions likes/dislikes, etc.

http://www.swtorface.com/p/sith-inquisitor-companion-list.html

Edited by Aedilous

I play female character, and yes, even past 2k she still doesn't like me.

I think she's also bugged. When she wanted to talk to me, I went to the ship and talked to her, and actually tried to pick the options she liked, and escaped the conversation to retry. However, because of this, it said I got 40 points when IN the conversation, but when I finished talking to her, the mission display said NOTHING about my affection point gained. I checked my point with her, and it didn't increase.

We should be able to kick our companions off the ship, because I hate her so much.

They basically MMOed-up the worst aspects of the frustrating "influence" system from KOTOR 2, which locked you out of conversations you wanted to hear because of arbitrary nonsense. But in KOTOR 2 you could at least explore your companions up to a point--TOR locks you out of their characterization *entirely* if you don't play an idiotic stat-boosting game.

I'm level 43 Sith Sorcerer, 2 planets to go, and barely interacted with my companions (did two missions for Khem, "welcome" convos for others, that's about it.) I was intrigued by the Jedi lady and the nerd, but never bought them gifts since it's just a vapid chore I didn't care about. There's so much else to consider, boosting companion affection wasn't big on my priorities.

I guess I was supposed to buy gifts for everybody to unlock conversations? And there's a gifting cooldown so you can't just make a one-stop trip and max affection? Ugh.

Basically my companions aren't real characters to me, and I have no attachment to them whatsoever--since I didn't play the gift game throughout the game.

Yes there are multiple conversations with your companions that unlock and even some little side quests. The gifting cooldown is like 30 secs so you can't back to back give but you can save up a bunch then distribute them all at once. Upping their affection also increases the success they have in the crew skills (I think that is what it affects), so to me it is more than worth getting their affection's up.

<Yes there are multiple conversations with your companions that unlock and even some little side quests. The gifting cooldown is like 30 secs so you can't back to back give but you can save up a bunch then distribute them all at once. Upping their affection also increases the success they have in the crew skills (I think that is what it affects), so to me it is more than worth getting their affection's up.>

I'm more complaining about it from a game design perspective, not cost/benefit. Bioware should be hurling unique class content at you to encourage re-rolling alt characters, not locking up unique class content in a chastity belt. As a player blundering through my long, long story, I really missed the Bioware "Mass Effect" companions while not really comprehending I was supposed to be playing some stupid game that makes no narrative sense to unlock their conversations and content ("it's Khem's birthday! Who's a big monster now!!!")

Forget crew skills, once you hit level 30, level 30 conversations should open up with every companion. My class story just felt emptier and crappier without regular companion dialogues.

Maybe I'll go try to buy some gifts now, though, but apparently people in this thread can't even figure out how to game Ashara's affection. Sounds pretty unfun to me.