Objective pvp is dead R.I.P.

TrixxieTriss

You know things are bad when no one picks up the HB all match on either team.

It seems the new game that people have decided to play is don’t let anyone pick up the ball.

Half a team of snipers camp around the ball and slow and kill anyone who tries to go for it (in this case, only I tried).

At the same time, not one of the other team would pick up the ball,

The whole match was a farce and I only stayed to see who wins if no one actually picks up the ball and even that made no sense because we won?

100% agree. I had a HB match where the other team scored 5, and then there was about 8 minutes left in the game, and there the ball sat. Everyone was in our side's EZ and pit. The other team didn't even try for that 6th point to end it. After that became obvious, I picked up the ball and ran it to our own EZ. And then they would not kill me. I tried to pass to one of them, but with the cluster of everyone there it went to a team mate instead, and they threw it away.

So, pft. I just quit every single huttball (and OPG for good measure) that I get now. It's too bad. One of the best, most fun games ever made in my opinion. And now ruined, I won't say just because of "deathmatchers". I would put this one completely on bioware (which I almost never do - I think most of the pvp problems come directly from "us" ourselves). Bioware should have had map choice in the game from day 1 - or at least day 3.

Well, let say it's a new kind of objective : don't let your ennemies get the ball but with an unknown result of which team will win in case of 0 vs 0. The more the devs unbalance the classes ,the worst pvp will go in this game.Now if you don't play the FOTYear classes in pvp, you are just an idiot.There is no room for players looking for fun with the classes or spec they love.

i really miss the first year when this game was released.we could still deal with unbalances and still had fun in pvp.

Not to mention snipers/slingers that throw the ball to ground when passed, chase a target from their cover and does questionable overall dmg... I wolud say several newbies are trying very hard to make sense, how a sniper/slinger can be force of awesomeness. ;)

I think there's just too many Huttball maps. We need roughly 2-3 more objective-lite wz maps to balance pops. IMO, we are in dire need of another Voidstar-type warzone.

Sometimes people just want to pew pew instead of grabbing the huttball and getting root/stun/thrown/slowed to death.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I think there's just too many Huttball maps. We need roughly 2-3 more objective-lite wz maps to balance pops. IMO, we are in dire need of another Voidstar-type warzone.

Sometimes people just want to pew pew instead of grabbing the huttball and getting root/stun/thrown/slowed to death.

this basically, huttball can be expected what 1 in every 3 matches assuming a totally random draw and lumping all variations together (i.e. original = quesh = vandin)?

And APG is very objective heavy, so in effect, it is the 4th huttball map, heh.

You mean proving grounds, the one where different control points light up each round? Yeah. Although, in theory, that one is basically like ACW or Yavin, except that the "turrets" move. In some ways it's even easier, because to control a node all you have to do is BE THERE. There's not even anything to click on and channel to ruin someone's awesome dps numbers. No doors to watch. People still can't seem to be bothered to move their fights to where it would actually matter.

Although, I've expressed before that bioware completely messed up the "king of the hill" aspect of this map, which was how it was originally marketed. Basically, about the worst thing you can do on this map is stand on a contested (not yet owned) "hill" and fight and fight to take it. Instead of getting some huge advance towards winning if you manage to take a hill after a long fight, you get the last 10 seconds of points... woo... hoo?

Kinda off topic - but I wish they had made this map more like a "tug of war" (well, in hind sight, I guess this is a completely different game mode - anyway... :D ). ONE spot in the middle. You go. You fight. For each person on your team that is in-bounds it moves the line a bit towards your side each second (or whatever). Moves pretty slowly, so there is time for respawns. If members of the team are dying off at the same rate, then pretty much the line would stay centered the whole time. (Although, "in bounds" could be fairly tight, allowing for some strategy involving being in-bounds and also avoiding aoe.) If either team "wins" the tug then they get a point, and the whole thing resets, like a reset of arena. Play for 5 minutes or 10 minutes or whatever. At the end, most points wins, or if it's tied in score then which ever side is has pulled the "tug" further towards themselves at the end - or if everything is dead center, based on kills or dps or most CC seconds or something. I wish they had made it more like that. To me, that might have been fun, and maybe people would have actually played it. But maybe not. Seems like the way to show how cool you are now is too purposely not play the game.

Or, maybe you didn't mean proving grounds... in which case, never mind. :p

Not to be a total nerd, but the map is called Alliance Proving Ground, thus APG. Not sure why everyone calls it Odessen, or OPG. 🤓

But anyway, on this map you have to grab arena buffs, and swap from node to node as the match progresses. So to me it's very objective heavy. Otherwise, everyone could just hang out at mid while 1-2 people guard a node.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Not to be a total nerd, but the map is called Alliance Proving Ground, thus APG. Not sure why everyone calls it Odessen, or OPG. 🤓

But anyway, on this map you have to grab arena buffs, and swap from node to node as the match progresses. So to me it's very objective heavy. Otherwise, everyone could just hang out at mid while 1-2 people guard a node.

Yes it's very obj. heavy which is why it is one of the most hated maps and people ragequit at the start... Usually players deathmatch in the tunnels while 2, 3 people in every team know what to do. Its one of my favorite maps because it's good for obj play and also very good for 1v1 duels. :D

Ha! I didn't know that (about "Alliance").

About the map - yep, it's a lot more about power up usage. I also think it's about luck - the luck being whether or not the nodes you are already standing right next to are the ones that light up. Granted, you can do some positioning in between rounds to get ready to run "either way", but there's only so much you can do with that. Also, I know some people have claimed they can control which power up they get, but I can't (except if I'm standing right on the power up terminal when it appears I get the double about 90% of the time) - so for me that's mostly luck too.

The best strategy I have found, being a sin/shadow on that map - is to hope that no one else follows me - and to go find a node where only one or two people are guarding it. Preferably one that the foolish enemy has applied a "double" to, and then left a single guard. ;) Then I can sneak in, knock them out of the box, and usually Cc them and take it before they can recover. Works I'd estimate about 60% of the time, which is pretty good. I've successfully stolen a node from 3 people a few times that way.

My main point in the previous post though was that when bioware first announced APG, they said "it's a king of the hill warzone!" - and it's not even close to that.

Pretty much this. I like huttball every once in awhile. I do not like huttball 8 out of 10 warzones that I might play in a few days. We should be able to choose the warzones we want, and the devs need to develop new game modes. The game has been out for years...is it really a surprise that people are tired of huttball?

APG (formerly known as OPG) is one of the few reg maps I will actually play. At this point I would expect most people to understand the mechanics, but people either can't be bothered or never took the time to understand it. That means I often get top 1-3 for most obj. points in those games :D

And huttball is completely dead to me, I quit every single one of those maps. They desperately need to implement a general type of map preference e.g.:

• No to all huttball
  • No to all normal maps
  • No to all arenas

Select 1 or none at all.

Well, let say it's a new kind of objective : don't let your ennemies get the ball but with an unknown result of which team will win in case of 0 vs 0. The more the devs unbalance the classes ,the worst pvp will go in this game.Now if you don't play the FOTYear classes in pvp, you are just an idiot.There is no room for players looking for fun with the classes or spec they love.

i really miss the first year when this game was released.we could still deal with unbalances and still had fun in pvp.

FOTY

I like it.

Play 29 matches yesterday. 22 of the pops were a HB type map.

I have never seen it pop so much before. At one point I rage quit in discussed. But my wife wanted me to pvp with her, so I logged back in. She’s actually getting good when compared to the trash in pvp these days.

Having so many HBs, plus 2 broken Void Star Matches and an arena that had basically finished, really annoyed the hell out of me.

Witha new perspective this morning, I can sort of under stand why people have stopped playing HB properly. So many are just sick of HB popping more than any other map.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

At this point I would expect most people to understand the mechanics, but people either can't be bothered or never took the time to understand it.

Objective pvp isn’t rocket science. My 4 y/o niece can understand the concepts of each map and is now offering me advice (it’s so cute) when she watches me play.

But for some people you’d think it requires a master’s degree to know the basics.

I like the OPG concept, but it’s nearly always a rage quit for me because usually no one on my team plays properly and I’m stuck guarding a node all match by myself (I can get a green mod for 90% of my pickups). I’m actually really good at OPG because it suits my strategic mind. But it’s also the most frustrating for me to stay in, so I usually leave before it starts.

I left many HBs last night because of my frustration there too and because they were popping so much. My main gripes with HB are :

1. The map type pops more than any other map type

2. Hardly anyone plays it properly

3. The desync... OMG the desync. Why they even made another HB when it’s obviously a massive problem is beyond me.

4. The bugs. Way too many bugs in that style of map.

If they fixed all of those, I think I could learn to love HB again. It use to be my favourite till Vandin was added to the list. I use to look forward to a HB pop. Now I cringe every time and consider if I’ll rage quit or not

when i see in a huttbal a first goal made by a rolling class, when you can do nothing due to the ability and glitches, or cause a stealth is in god mode hiding and waiting the ball and pass .. i just stop and frag cause i know, after hundreds of huttball, that you can do nothing alone and you'll never be helped by mates for this.

and after 6th hutball in a row you know ...even odessen wz is welcome :o

Edited by Thaladan

When Odessen becomes more welcome, it’s time to log off and watch Netflix ;)

I dropped netflix when they raised their prices after slowly dropping most of the shows I actually *wanted* to watch (vs just put up with because otherwise I had to go back and play another HB). I switched to Amazon after a free trial showed that they had some shows I liked... and then, of course, THEY started dropping those right after I paid. I'm sure I'll pick up netflix streaming again at some point and drop amazon. It's just like MMOs... rage quit one to play the other for a while, then switch back and forth when neither seem to really be that good. :p

when i see in a huttbal a first goal made by a rolling class, when you can do nothing due to the ability and glitches, or cause a stealth is in god mode hiding and waiting the ball and pass .. i just stop and frag cause i know, after hundreds of huttball, that you can do nothing alone and you'll never be helped by mates for this.

and after 6th hutball in a row you know ...even odessen wz is welcome :o

winings .... play shadow/pt tank and use pulls :D

Met once proper shadow our line who was doing resilence prior unstealth .... so had to walk there and guard line...after 3-4 failed their passes they lost will to win :D

Edited by alexzk

Huttball is pretty rough yeah, playing on my sin and pt makes for the worst obj for huttball if i'm trying to carry the ball, I tend to try to group up with other people who also play objectives, you just need to find those 1-3 ppl throughout your day that you see trying to do objs, and just whisper them and see if they wanna group up. As an operative main though i find doing objs still fun even after playing the game on and off the past 3-4 years. Mainly because doing dps feels boring after like 2-3 matches of trying, you just kinda wanna take nodes or run balls. But yeah most my matches revolve just around me and the people i'm grouped with to do objs, aside from certain few ppl here and there on the team that actively try, its not all that bad, sometimes just need to shake off the bad matches

You know things are bad when no one picks up the HB all match on either team.

It seems the new game that people have decided to play is don’t let anyone pick up the ball.

Half a team of snipers camp around the ball and slow and kill anyone who tries to go for it (in this case, only I tried).

At the same time, not one of the other team would pick up the ball,

The whole match was a farce and I only stayed to see who wins if no one actually picks up the ball and even that made no sense because we won?

If it's any of the Huttballs I won't even bother doing objective due to de-sync, broken Operative roll, people teleporting rubber banding..

They should disable Huttball until they fix it.

I wanted to contribute to the discussion as huttball is one of the things i look for the most in pvp and do it regulary (as well as stream it)

I have seen the described behaviour to a degree, but identify or see it differently.

FIRSTLY:

as the general population gets better gear (+252 has mostly been for more dedicated players for now) and stars go beyond bolster, the true nature of current gear is better revelaed. Basically dps is increasing everywhere, and everything BUT pure tanks can have a hard time carrying the huttball for example.

conjecture: I believe this is dev intent for the game to make tanks relevant to pvp without stepping on other classes etc etc...

SECONDLY:

this is not about name calling or etc.. BUT... I see a recent influx of new players. MANY of which talk/mention WoW.

I haven't played wow in a LONG while (2007=8?) BUT I have seen Guild Wars pvp (its basically to blobs of 40 palyers moving about, killing anything that isnt another mass of 40 players.. ). I'm assuming that this 'pvp culture' has made its way into WoW being very integrated with the 'path of least attrition' 'school of gaming'

conslusion

Basically I think this is what is happening: As the WoW crowd flocks to swtor (and other mmo) they bring their habits and stuff with them. Unfortunately for SWTOR the new demographic has the potential to completely outpage older/active accounts and I fear we will soon fall into a Guild Wars zombie pvp mode.

I'm sorry if by naming specific games I have bumbped someone, I just dont know how to explain the above without those examples.

On a motivational note. Old guard needs to find ways to nullify 'mass blob' pvp so to make it undesirable. eventually devs could add some buff that increases aoe dmg based on how many targets are being hit. IMAGINE THAT! :D