PSA, scammer stealing from guild banks on Ebon Hawk

LadyAdmiral

Please be careful, there is someone going around to different guilds and getting in saying they are someone's alt.

Be ESPECIALLY wary if an officer comes in your teamspeak asking for an invite and says their mike is broken. This scammer is being very diligent with their homework, and looking up guilds and getting officer names from guild websites. At least three guilds have been hit yesterday/today and their banks emptied.

If you want to full story, check the swtor reddit. Please don't post names here so this thread doesn't get closed for witchhunting.

If you are a guild leader, make sure to verify who someone is before promoting them. Best advice I have seen so far is to invite them to the guild, but make them promote themselves from their main character.

Wow, just wow. Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully they will nail this guy soon and ban him.

Also, if he gets into your TS, he should leave a log of his IP address. Banning the IP will help keep him out and away from both guild websites and VoIP services.

Bioware won't ban him because it is your fault you got robbed. Thats their "policy".

Correct. If you get your stuff stolen by him, kiss it goodbye. However, according to the original poster's psa, he blackmailed them and told them could have it back for $500.. which is definitely against the ToS, at least under buying and selling goods! :p

Correct. If you get your stuff stolen by him, kiss it goodbye. However, according to the original poster's psa, he blackmailed them and told them could have it back for $500.. which is definitely against the ToS, at least under buying and selling goods! :p

Mate i know guys who have 11 lvl they join guilds and leave it with 6 k credits and cheap stuff lol It is nice when guild have open guild bank for all but... If anyone can join guild and stealth it is not nice. Force them go website get Registration and then unlock guild bank. Scammers dont want spent much time on this stuff lol easy to farm something .. My friend got scammed by this bad peoples and he wrote ticket to Support TOLD : HIS NAME . Your Server. Name of ITEM NAME OF GUILD And he got all credits and items back easy try to do it :)

Pax Republica was also hit by this. Thankfully we don't allow anyone to take out credits from the guild bank and no money was lost, but we did lose a s*** ton of Encryptions and all that kind of conquest stuff, along with stims and medpacs. I'm very hopeful that Bioware will realize that this happened, believe us when we say we were robbed, and look at the screenshots we took of what was taken from us and help us with replacement. They have helped us before, I have faith in them.

Sorry to hear about this. I've seen a few iterations of scammers of this variety, and it never feels good when it happens to you. It's a good reminder to us all to practice a bit of security. Voice verification is pretty close to fool-proof. Having an officer promote their own alt is also quite good. If someone can't verify themselves in one of these ways, we just leave them the recruit rank (or kick them out on suspicion and apologize later if necessary).

Regarding Bioware action, I can say that Aisthesis never recovered its stolen property when this happened to us (a little over a year ago). I assume action was taken against the player, but I don't know for sure. Judging by what's being reported on the reddit thread, it sounds like this iteration is quite a bit more RL-serious than last time.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

My officer posted on the redit forums. But this guy told me to pay him 500 USD to get our stuff and the credits I gave him back. We told him to F off. We tried recording him on TS but he jumped off as soon as that happened.

I think it was about a year ago now but we had someone come into our TS3 and used my name to get credits out of a guildie, but the guildie noticed that my avatar was missing and I had no mic and got an officer to text me. Hopefully Bioware can do something about it.

Thanks again for the heads up. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I know this thread is a couple weeks old, but I've recently come across some useful information as to the identity of this thief. As horrible a thing it is he did, I still do not want to incite an angry mob by creating a new thread, or turn this into "public shaming". So, if you really want more information, please message me.

Remember to be safe and be wary of shady "alts" ;)

One thing Saberwing has done to prevent issues like this is to restrict guild bank tabs specifically to rank. Only our highest officers can access the tab that contains our most valuable assets. Alts are brought in at ranks below this that have severe limitations on the amount of withdraws until they are verified.

Definitely look into restricting the bank tabs if you haven't done so already.

We've restricted ours for sure to officers only :) And added a silly password for officers to know when getting invited.

I haven't heard of any other guilds getting scammed recently, so it looks like whatever was happening was stopped, one way or another.