Game Update 5.7 and Beyond

EricMusco

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[*]Returning Companions! (these Missions will be Class-specific)

• Risha & Corso
  • Andronikos

-eric

Can you please explain if the missions will be unique to each of the classes OR the missions will only be available to specific classes.

If it is the latter Which classes these companions will be specific to i.e. will it be Smuggler and Inquisitor only.

At the moment it seems the view is that it will only be content for the Smuggler and Inquisitor so if your main is a different class and your not interested in the Operation there will be Nothing in the first half of the Winter Roadmap for you.

But it could equally be read that there will be 8 different missions to recruit these new companions specific to each of the classes.

So can you please explain if its something amazing and every class is going to be getting unique content or for people not interested in an operation and not playing a smuggler or Inquisitor they may as well unsub till February and the final winter update is launched?

This fits my expectations. The announcement of the announcement (road map) is a fact. A few weeks might be a bit later than expected for the roadmap but this patch is earlier than expected. I did not expect the next FP in January so that doesn't surprise me. I am expecting that one in the next patch after.

I will say I have lowered my expectations for historic reasons, but as of yet this proves to be the right expectation level. As such I am neither disappointed nor excited about it accordingly.

All in all the roadmap will be telling for where this game is going, so that's the most interesting part of this. Very interested about what's going to happen with conquest and when we can see the next expansion. So far my expectation for the expansion is June but we'll see.

I'm curious about why the choice to make these companions class specific. I can understand "for story reasons". I get that. I'm just curious why that route was chosen. I wonder how much it has to do with future story. I'm curious about if other companions will be that way too (I really want Scourge to meet my Warrior and have some dialogue about how the player's Warrior took his place as the Emperor's Wrath, as well as with some of my other characters). I really hope Iresso isn't class specific. Seeing him in a conversation with his former instructor Jorgan with my Trooper would be awesome.

Don't get your hopes up. I brought a f-ton of alts through fe/et just to hear Quinn's reactions to them and got nothing for the effort.

Sooo unless you're playing a Smuggler or Sith Inquisitor or do Ops, the next months are going to have nothing new to do....good to know (not that even if you are them you will have much more do to...dem alliance alerts lol). Pathetic....for a story focused MMO this is less then nothing...And the "more coming" is one FP....how great...how great. This suuuuure sounds like they will be able to put an expansion...in 10 years.

But rejoice ppl...there will finally be a new cartel pack...oh boy have I been waiting for this....

Edited by ExarSun

Well, as I haven't taken either of those classes through Knights of the Frelling Excruciating & Eternal Torment, (and in the case of the Smuggler, never will) the 23rd will bring nothing for me.

I hope the returns are worthwhile for players who suffered through the Valkorion family soap opera as those classes.

I just hope this is only the beginning of proper missions with returning class-specific companions (and that Elara and Quinn get some kind of "Now the Iokath crisis has passed, let's go do something together" content too).

Won't be touching the Iokath Op until it's actually finished.

Dear Eric,

please reply to the various questions about those "class specific" companion returns.

I don't understand what that means. I have been waiting ever since KotFE to get Risha on some of my non-smuggler classes, because I really like that character. The way I read it now only my old smuggler will be able to get her (back)?

If this is true, I think this is a bit unfair. Everyone can have e. g. Vette, but only smugglers can have Risha? What is the point of that? I thought that the main idea of the new companion system was that everyone can have everyone, because that's what many players had asked for.

I'm happy to finally get e. g. Risha back, but it would be quite disappointing to only have her on my smuggler. I'd happily trade her (well, that sounds a bit odd...) against any of those Star Fortress or Cartel Market companions on my e. g. trooper. I really think Risha and my commando would make a good team (not as LI).

Any chance these "various bug fixes/updates" involve any kind of fix to the arena acid problem, which can be seen in 1 2 3 threads on the 1st page of PVP forums alone, and is maybe the one thing that more than 90% of the players (besides the exploiters themselves) can agree about??

Hey folks,

Since we are formally in 2018 now, Happy New Year to all of you! We know there have been some questions about what is coming next, so we wanted to give you some details. The big “what is coming” type question will be addressed as always in Keith’s Roadmap, which is being worked on now. I would expect a few more weeks before you can read that. However, before the roadmap is in your hands, let’s talk about the next Game Update!

Game Update 5.7 – Legacy of the Creators

Release date: January 23rd

• New Operation Boss: Scyva
    • Available in Story and Veteran Mode

• Risha & Corso
    • Andronikos

[*]New Cartel Market Pack

[*]Various bug fixes / updates

Although we will save the specifics for the Roadmap, beyond 5.7 you can expect additional Companions returning, a new Flashpoint, and more! Thanks everyone, we are looking forward to an exciting 2018.

-eric

If you wont fix the bugg with lower lvl items giving more stats than 248 items in pvp there is no reason to play pvp in swtor. Iam tired of watching 215 ilvl players causing huge amount of dps/hps

Hey folks,

Since we are formally in 2018 now, Happy New Year to all of you! We know there have been some questions about what is coming next, so we wanted to give you some details. The big “what is coming” type question will be addressed as always in Keith’s Roadmap, which is being worked on now. I would expect a few more weeks before you can read that. However, before the roadmap is in your hands, let’s talk about the next Game Update!

Game Update 5.7 – Legacy of the Creators

Release date: January 23rd

• New Operation Boss: Scyva
    • Available in Story and Veteran Mode

• Risha & Corso
    • Andronikos

[*]New Cartel Market Pack

[*]Various bug fixes / updates

Although we will save the specifics for the Roadmap, beyond 5.7 you can expect additional Companions returning, a new Flashpoint, and more! Thanks everyone, we are looking forward to an exciting 2018.

-eric

Nice. Will an option to enable Chat Bubbles for /say, /yell, /emote player chat be in this patch as well? We've been waiting for over 6 years since it was first promised now, you know... Edited by Glzmo

Hmm...again non force sensitive companions. I still believe...hope...this is for the sake of the next big expansion. Some cult capturing and collecting famous force sensitive individuals and putting them on ice etc. One day my Jedi knight learns what happened to his beloved wife and finally has a reason to turn full dark side...

Though this "update" seems a bit thin at least we know the dev team is still alive. And if done properly this "class specific" companion returns might be a great first step to old class glory...Hope dies last...but it dies...

My Consular is just sitting on the sidelines wondering if he'll ever get anyone but Qyzen returned at this point. :( I find it difficult to believe that Felix or Zenith wouldn't have returned to help by now. :rolleyes:

Agreed.

I've also come to terms with the fact that Nadia just used my consular to push her own goals whatever those were. There was no love there and bioware writing it that way then dropping it the way they have in kotfe/kotet just goes to show she didn't care.

The JC has been back for a while now. Done a lot of amazing things. Been on multiple galaxy wide holonet broadcasts. Word of mouth from the JC returns would have reached all corners of the galaxy especially so when the JC took over zakuul and made deals with the Rep. and Emp. There is no way Nadia could have missed that so that leave us knowing she isn't interested.

So, I'm writing her off like the rest that couldn't be bothered to show up and help. They are dead to me.

When I hear "class specific" returns, I think of the mission's on Rishi during SoR. I enjoyed those. :D Risha for my smuggler

would be a queen right now. It'd be nice to have a mission to help a new monarch who wants to join the alliance, but she needs your help.... as in she only trusts YOU...with (insert problem). I REALLY want Vette to be the companion of choice for this mission.

:D I hope they put a nice amount of effort into these, and they are NOT the god awful "classic conversation alliance alerts".

Guess I gotta go ahead and finish KOTFE/KOTET with my gunslinger now. :)

Agreed.

I've also come to terms with the fact that Nadia just used my consular to push her own goals whatever those were. There was no love there and bioware writing it that way then dropping it the way they have in kotfe/kotet just goes to show she didn't care.

The JC has been back for a while now. Done a lot of amazing things. Been on multiple galaxy wide holonet broadcasts. Word of mouth from the JC returns would have reached all corners of the galaxy especially so when the JC took over zakuul and made deals with the Rep. and Emp. There is no way Nadia could have missed that so that leave us knowing she isn't interested.

So, I'm writing her off like the rest that couldn't be bothered to show up and help. They are dead to me.

Yeah, Felix was like my Consular's best friend, he didn't use anyone else from the moment he got him and not having him return yet kinda sucks. He misses the rest of them as they were his friends, but Felix was best bud. It's annoying and just feels like Bioware is adding more credence to those who think Consular is boring/dull and we're just getting forgotten and left behind whilst some classes have everyone or nearly everyone returned. My Inquisitor and Smuggler will be happy to get those ones back, but my Consular is my main and he feels very neglected. :(

My Knight also wants to give Lord Scourge a kick up the backside if he ever returns for abandoning him during this Valkorian nonsense. He better have a good excuse for being gone so long. :mad:

There seems to be some confusion in this thread. I am not Bioware, but allow me to explain it anyway:

1) What do they mean by class-specific?

They mean that only Smugglers and Inqs get the mission and comps. Everybody else gets nothing. Not the same mission with different dialog, not another mission, just plain nothing.

2) Why are they doing it?

Because they are low on money and they figured out that paying 2 voice actors per companion is better then 16 voice actors per companion. The math is solid, even if it sucks. And they can't go KOTOR-style again because a) most people hate it and b) Fully voiced PC is one thing this MMO has over others, getting rid of that feature is basically suicide.

3) What does it mean for the future of the game?

Nothing good. Expect more cost-cutting measures dressed as something wonderful. Honestly, I would't be suprised if next Roadmap will be yet another glorified server merge and we would be down to 1 server per region.

4) But what about next big expansion?

Wake up! They dont have money to pay for voicing a short side-mission and you expect them to make a new expack? Yea, right....

In short, to quote a certain SW character: "This deal is getting worse all the time"

Edited by Gelious

Obviously you're free to feel as you like, but I don't feel the same. I consider the companions' true characterization to have been established during the class stories. Any failures since then I believe reflect on the reduced resources of the devs, not on the essential qualities of the companions.

Agreed.

KOFTE/KOTET spoilers (in case someone here didn't play it even once yet)

My personal bet is that the force sensitives have united (maybe with a few non-sensitive friends) once the Zakuul empire has risen, knew/guessed/sensed that Valkorion was possessing the Outlander and refuse to return to the Outlander because they don't know Valkorion is truly dead already. We will meet them all at once, maybe to kill finish Theron off.

Now some agent spoilers:

Maybe they are on the run or captured by the heralds of zildrog which are just a cover for the new star cabal which is hunting them down?

My Knight also wants to give Lord Scourge a kick up the backside if he ever returns for abandoning him during this Valkorian nonsense. He better have a good excuse for being gone so long. :mad:

Scourge was supposedly doing something behind the scenes to "ensure our victory over Valkorion". Whatever it was, it had better be awesome.

If I had more faith in EAware, I'd hold out hope that we'd get a "Play as Lord Scourge" bonus chapter where we get to do that whatever it was as him... but I don't have enough faith in them.