Great, so no fix for /follow in this patch..?

DiabloMuerto

God, not having a working /follow is really killing me, please fix this. I can't express how annoying not having this feature functioning is. I don't hit operations until 50, follow I use from level 1, so if you're going to fix a bug some where, I choose follow first.

What's the purpose of /follow? I think I used it once or twice in WoW during a 6 year span. I only ever saw it useful for people who just wanted to follow a high level character while they clear content/grind mobs for the following player (usually lower level).

What's the purpose of /follow? I think I used it once or twice in WoW during a 6 year span. I only ever saw it useful for people who just wanted to follow a high level character while they clear content/grind mobs for the following player (usually lower level).

I can't help but agree. Just wanted to post my 2 cents that I could give a hoot less about the /follow feature. When I saw this thread I laughed because I just hit level 30, and even through all the instances/group quests I've done - NEVVERR even thought for one tiny iota of a second "Hey, wish I could /follow someone".

Edited by Sireene
Inappropriate Content

I agree, and this worked in beta, just fine. After release is when it became non-functional. I have to walk away on occasion and making my friends wait for me for 5-10 minutes while I help the wife with something is unfair. =D

For those that think it's useless, you obviously play by yourself the large majority of the time. For anyone that actually plays with other people having /follow is pretty much a requirement that adds greatly to game enjoyment. Asks any couple that plays together, or siblings, or just friends, life still happens while I'm playing, it's common place that while questing with someone I might need to get up to take care of something, it's nice not to be left behind.

I also know couples that quest together and that have young children, so they often have to afk for 20-30 mins at a time to deal with kids. A lot of the couples like that want to level together so with that /follow, they don't both have to stop while one is taking care of the kids.

Honestly, yes it's very simple and basic thing and I can see how many people would find it trivial but to anyone who actually uses it not having it really takes away from things. I also played WoW for many years, I had 3 active accounts in that game for a period of time, I can't imagine what I would've done w/o /follow.

/follow would be handy to have, and should be fixed eventually, but the game breaking bugs are more important first over a convenience item.

I'd rather see the bug fixed where my companion says they want to talk, but the quests go away when trying to talk to them on the ship or in the cantina (or one of the other important issues).

For those that think it's useless, you obviously play by yourself the large majority of the time. For anyone that actually plays with other people having /follow is pretty much a requirement that adds greatly to game enjoyment. Asks any couple that plays together, or siblings, or just friends, life still happens while I'm playing, it's common place that while questing with someone I might need to get up to take care of something, it's nice not to be left behind.

I also know couples that quest together and that have young children, so they often have to afk for 20-30 mins at a time to deal with kids. A lot of the couples like that want to level together so with that /follow, they don't both have to stop while one is taking care of the kids.

Honestly, yes it's very simple and basic thing and I can see how many people would find it trivial but to anyone who actually uses it not having it really takes away from things. I also played WoW for many years, I had 3 active accounts in that game for a period of time, I can't imagine what I would've done w/o /follow.

I disagree, I play with my girlfriend and one or the other of us often have to afk for 5-10 mins and I dont expect to be getting a free ride on quest updates during this time. If im afk im afk and thats all there is to it, as far as im concerned /follow can be removed completely and then those afk jerks in warzones will be SOL.

Considering just about every MMO has the feature, no, it's not a trivial feature - and very unlikely to go away for those of you who are hoping for that. ;)

Most of the time me and my friends use it is to get from one area to the next without having to wait if someone has to go afk.

Is it a top priority thing to fix compared to broken content and game stopping bugs? No, but I would like to see it working again too.

...even through all the instances/group quests I've done - NEVVERR even thought for one tiny iota of a second "Hey, wish I could /follow someone".

The /follow feature generally isn't used for just "following someone through" a heroic group or instanced dungeon. Typically, the feature's used to follow friends (or a lot of times a healer) when someone has to AFK.

While I can think of a handful of times that I've used it while leveling WoW -- everything from needing to AFK to bio or get something out of the oven (i.e. real life situations), to needing to AFK to look on WoW head to figure out exactly where someone I was grouped with and I were supposed to go -- the most I think I've used it was within raid dungeons.

I think it's pretty typical that people that need to afk to take care of short real life situations will /follow a healer or another person. The concept is that if this one person uses the follow feature then an entire group of other people don't need to wait on that one person to catch up, or, worse yet, re-clear raid level trash where one person gets left behind because they needed to take a bathroom break when everyone else was okay.

In that respect, especially without the ability to summon players to the group, the function of /follow becomes fairly essential once you get to long and trash heavy raid dungeons.

Edited by Lycaena

From what I have seen prepatch 1.01 it works as long as the person that is leading does not auto run. As soon as they enable autorun the person following stops. Just my 2 cents.

Interesting. I look forward to testing this out when the servers come back up to see if this is true.

Obviously theres a small but nice purpose for the /follow command.

What if, you're always questing in groups of 2-4?

So one can go follow and get a cup of coffe, going to the toilet or something like that without loosing the group. So yout get the benefit of group-quest-kills.

Sounds bit nerdy, but hey, I'd wanted it a few times right now, where I wanted to get something to drink, while my brother traveled between quest locations.

What I don't understand is that companions pretty much follow flawlessly with companions.

I would think the same logic would hold true for players.

And yes, I have used /follow in every game I've ever played. I do 2-box once in a while if I can't find a group, just so I'm not stuck on a quest I can't solo. But follow is useful in lots of situations outside of 2-boxing.

I disagree, I play with my girlfriend and one or the other of us often have to afk for 5-10 mins and I dont expect to be getting a free ride on quest updates during this time. If im afk im afk and thats all there is to it, as far as im concerned /follow can be removed completely and then those afk jerks in warzones will be SOL.

Never nerf PvE over PvP issues.

Solution to that is disable /follow in war zones.

I don't know how you consider it to be a "free ride" when in relation to your own girlfriend though. Do you have children? If so, does anyone watch them? I mean it's basic responsibilities in life, and some people take care of them. It's even more unfair to ask one spouse/better half to wait and get out leveled by the one they're with, or have that person wait to play due to responsibilities that could easily be handled by ONE person.

It's important to those that do want to play, but don't want to wait for RL to subside while the other person's handling those issues.

Edited by Darkrite

LOL, I'm consistently amazed to see everyone's individual priorities are so vastly different. I haven't even attempted to use /follow yet and had no idea it wasn't there.

So I have to wonder why the most common use of /follow or /stick is not being mentioned, namely multiboxing with a healbot?

I suppose your all-knowing self can prove accusation you just spouted?

Not bloody likely.

But assuming for the sake of argument that this is true, it effects you how? Or are you just one of these self-designated "hardcore" types who thinks everyone else should be handicapped just to match your playstyle? Hint: If you don't like /follow, don't use it. That is all.

I have a wife, 2 kids and 2 grandkids. Please fix follow, my in game time is limited and subject to numerous brief interruptions.

I suppose your all-knowing self can prove accusation you just spouted?

Not bloody likely.

But assuming for the sake of argument that this is true, it effects you how? Or are you just one of these self-designated "hardcore" types who thinks everyone else should be handicapped just to match your playstyle? Hint: If you don't like /follow, don't use it. That is all.

I have a wife, 2 kids and 2 grandkids. Please fix follow, my in game time is limited and subject to numerous brief interruptions.

Your vehemence speaks adequately, tyvm.

Why it isn't present, at least for now, should be easily understood. /Follow was in the beta builds. Currently companions follow just fine, except perhaps onto elevators and then only some of them, so we know it isn't a great technical challenge to code.

However there were performance problems as well in beta, and until those are cleared up such unnecessary, high-processor cost mechanics are probably absent from the mix to exclude them from contention as the culprit.

I imagine it will return, unless for some odd reason healbots are being discouraged this year.

Edited by Gleneagle