You Need To Reward Open World PvP - ASAP!

Darth_Eclipses

So, back on October 18th Georg responded to a thread claiming BW has killed Open World PvP by saying:

I imagine the majority of people queuing up for instanced PvP if that's where the best rewards will be coming from.People will do what they like. If the majority likes to queue, then that's what they want to do.

Honestly, this reads a lot like 'OMG, there might be incentives for players to do what they like instead of what I like.'

If people prefer to do Warzones over open world PvP or vice versa, then that's their prerogative and we won't force them to do the other thing. As for where the best rewards are, you'll earn rewards by doing either.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/16565-devtracker-highlights-for-the-week-of-october-13

The fact is, BW never killed Open World PvP - they never even allowed it to exist in the first place. You can't kill something that's non-existent.

I can guarantee you BW, that PvP servers aren't popular because the main form of pvp (or most popular in that community) is WZ's. Today on the Jung Ma server, there was a huge late-night battle between my guild and another republic one (Furious Angels) eventually, as fun as it was - my guildies just said screw it - mainly for the fact that no matter how well we did, NOTHING was rewarded. We had better things to do.

Let's recap:

No xp for open world kills.

No credits for open world kills.

No commendations for open world kills.

No valor xp for open world kills.

No unlockable titles for open world kills.

No listed amount of kills or assists for open world kills or any other form of recognition.

Georg, please clarify your statement and explain why the OP in that thread was wrong about saying you guys have truly gimped and under-appreciated Open World PvP.

'As to where there best rewards are, you'll earn rewards by doing either' is totally disingenuous and the fact is Georg, now that we're playing the game, we can tell.

Please add in this functionality asap, your pvp is hollow without it.

Edited by Darth_Eclipses

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Support, I've been a huge fan of Open World/Guild PvP since I begun MMORPGs due to my first MMO being RuneScape, where you only had open world PvP and there was no instanced PvP for a long time.

I spend a few months doing nothing but world PvP on WoW until I decided I would rather get my honorable kill counter higher and just started to do BGs. Doesn't help that with flying mounts it's quite hard to prey on anyone (since they changed the mount timer, back when it was 3 seconds cast could catch someone before they got it off).

I also loved Warhammer online until the mass exodus back to WoW when WOTLk launched. The lack of content/rewards and the lack of other players made that game not worth sticking around to.

If Bioware could make rewarding world pvp that gives some form of long term reward/incentives instead of "yay, I killed that guy" I would spend times of time doing it.

That said, I'm also a large fan of WoW arenas, so implementing some form of a "hunting season" where every month rewards are gave out similar to the WoW arena latter titles based on number of world pvp kills were to be implemented I would be quite happy. Granted you would need to add in some form of design where you don't reward killing people too low leveled too, so that people dont just go grief lower leveled people.

Support, I've been a huge fan of Open World/Guild PvP since I begun MMORPGs due to my first MMO being RuneScape, where you only had open world PvP and there was no instanced PvP for a long time.

I spend a few months doing nothing but world PvP on WoW until I decided I would rather get my honorable kill counter higher and just started to do BGs. Doesn't help that with flying mounts it's quite hard to prey on anyone (since they changed the mount timer, back when it was 3 seconds cast could catch someone before they got it off).

I also loved Warhammer online until the mass exodus back to WoW when WOTLk launched. The lack of content/rewards and the lack of other players made that game not worth sticking around to.

If Bioware could make rewarding world pvp that gives some form of long term reward/incentives instead of "yay, I killed that guy" I would spend times of time doing it.

That said, I'm also a large fan of WoW arenas, so implementing some form of a "hunting season" where every month rewards are gave out similar to the WoW arena latter titles based on number of world pvp kills were to be implemented I would be quite happy. Granted you would need to add in some form of design where you don't reward killing people too low leveled too, so that people dont just go grief lower leveled people.

Great points. Hopefully they listen.

Lack of incentives on WPvP will cost them retention.

I agree with this post entirely, I came from Aion where PvP was the main focus of the game. Granted they had way to many mobs in PvP areas and the WZ's. Open world PvP was great, it could be zerg vs zerg or group vs group. Also in Aion there was much to gain from PvP or much to lose depending upon your rank at the time.

I agree with this post entirely, I came from Aion where PvP was the main focus of the game. Granted they had way to many mobs in PvP areas and the WZ's. Open world PvP was great, it could be zerg vs zerg or group vs group. Also in Aion there was much to gain from PvP or much to lose depending upon your rank at the time.

Congratulations, you just sealed me trying Aion if world PvP is actually encouraged there.

I started playing this game in hopes that World PVP would be better than wow. From what I have seen it isn't really. They think that their world PVP zone is something new but WOW has already done it with things like Wintergrasp and now Toll Barad (or however you spell it.) They definitely need to add a better incentive to participate in World PVP.

/signed

I've said it before and I'll say it again, BW needs to make PvP one of their top priorities. It needs a lot of work as it is implemented right now. And I'm not talking about balance - there need to be more WZs, rewards for WPvP, more WPvP like Ilum (with objectives and pvp lakes and etc.), zones should be more open to accomodate WPvP, etc. Obviously it is too late to do those last two, which is a shame, but maybe they can throw it in an xpack or something. Regardless, PvP, especially WPvP, needs a lot of work. It feels very half-assed right now.

PVP in TOR consists out of 3 lagg-fest BG's and a gear set. Also, do keep in mind that these are the same people who dont even allow others to form pre-mades in BG's becouse they fear scaring off the casuals.

Youll never see any form of open-world pvp rewards in TOR, EVER.

So, back on October 18th Georg responded to a thread claiming BW has killed Open World PvP by saying:

I imagine the majority of people queuing up for instanced PvP if that's where the best rewards will be coming from.People will do what they like. If the majority likes to queue, then that's what they want to do.

Honestly, this reads a lot like 'OMG, there might be incentives for players to do what they like instead of what I like.'

If people prefer to do Warzones over open world PvP or vice versa, then that's their prerogative and we won't force them to do the other thing. As for where the best rewards are, you'll earn rewards by doing either.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/16565-devtracker-highlights-for-the-week-of-october-13

The fact is, BW never killed Open World PvP - they never even allowed it to exist in the first place. You can't kill something that's non-existent.

I can guarantee you BW, that PvP servers aren't popular because the main form of pvp (or most popular in that community) is WZ's. Today on the Jung Ma server, there was a huge late-night battle between my guild and another republic one (Furious Angels) eventually, as fun as it was - my guildies just said screw it - mainly for the fact that no matter how well we did, NOTHING was rewarded. We had better things to do.

Let's recap:

No listed amount of kills or assists for open world kills or any other form of recognition.

Georg, please clarify your statement and explain why the OP in that thread was wrong about saying you guys have truly gimped and under-appreciated Open World PvP.

'As to where there best rewards are, you'll earn rewards by doing either' is totally disingenuous and the fact is Georg, now that we're playing the game, we can tell.

BioWare: "But but bu.... Ilum...?"

Well said OP. My Trooper is level 25 and has yet to run into any open world PvP. What's up with that?

Let's recap:

Man all that stuff u said can be exploited who's to say u have your friend roll a toon on other side meet u somewhere u and u just keep killing him for xp points and medals and so on if they did that would ruin the game.

I support this OP wholeheartedly... really for all servers, it's silly that you don't earn rewards for RVR in Ilum's Western Shelf for kills/etc. either, or Outlaw's Den, but only for flipping the area (Ilum) or finding the rare-ish chests (Outlaw's). This needs fixing for EVERYWHERE.

Man all that stuff u said can be exploited who's to say u have your friend roll a toon on other side meet u somewhere u and u just keep killing him for xp points and medals and so on if they did that would ruin the game.

DAOC solved it 10 years ago, sir... diminishing returns for same person dying repeatedly over certain timespans, and no rewards for awhile if you kill the same guy a bunch of times. Combine that with drop rates being reasonable, and you make it pointless to try "farming" a friend. Plus it would likely be bannable if caught, anyway.

Edited by Ancen

See i sometimes feel that i'm the only one that wants a strong world pvp environment yet whenever i look on the forums its the main thing people want!

Give the people what they want!

ROFL an extremely tiny amount of the population are in the forums.

And, I never understood whats with all the people asking for world pvp in a game thats clearly not designed for it. Had the same situation in WoW as well.

I see some open world pvp activity on my server but I will say that at level 50 you can get daily and weekly quests for open world illum. I dont believe this is enough and pretty much agree with all the threads points.

I think open world needs its own commendatios, gears and venders. There also has to be a reason to be there. High end harvesting nodes, ect. Perhaps exclusive instances for who controls outlaws den or illum. Unique venders with unique schematics, mounts, social gear, ect

I firmly believe bioware knows this will implement it.

The game is obviously designed with World PvP in mind - or they wouldn't have an open world PvP zone from day one.

That said, it remains to be seen if they're going to take it seriously and capitalise on the good parts of the WAR experience (with the same people doing PvP in TOR) - or if they're going to copy WoW with its abysmal approach to world PvP.

I know that I, personally, have no interest in yet another endless raiding treadmill - so if the game doesn't offer meaningful world PvP when I reach cap - I'll simply stop playing.

But I won't kid myself into thinking that the game NEEDS world PvP. Obviously, a lot of people are perfectly fine raiding the same handful of instances over and over and over - to get to the next piece of gear.