Where is this game going ?

Sedaiikyn

Hi,

Was just wondering if this game was still going strong or its dying ? I am hesitating to invest time again on this game...

Well it's sure as hell not "going strong"...in fact, it's hardly going anywhere. I believe this game is clearly in maintenance mode...and even that's stretching it.

Having said that - I would highly encourage you to try it out again. I love it. It doesn't take long to feel good at playing it, the combat is second to none and there's a crap ton to do in game. What we do have is amazing content and most players are very helpful and would love to have you try the game again. The Devs are supposedly working on new content, which is badly needed, and when they do release new stuff, it's generally quite impressive...so I don't think the game is dead quite yet and I think it's as good of a time as any to try it out again. I hope we have 10 years left of it.

I believe this game is clearly in maintenance mode...and even that's stretching it.

Guild Wars 1 is in maintenance mode.

Just the single flashpoint and handful of cinematics that make up the release of Nathema Conspiracy are more content than GW1 has had since just after GW2 launched in late August 2012.

SWTOR is in a state that I would by no means call "robustly healthy", but it is NOT in maintenance mode.

Was just wondering if this game was still going strong or its dying ? I am hesitating to invest time again on this game...

At first, I thought this must be another necro of an old thread. People have been asking this since about a month after release. :rolleyes:

Guild Wars 1 is in maintenance mode.

Just the single flashpoint and handful of cinematics that make up the release of Nathema Conspiracy are more content than GW1 has had since just after GW2 launched in late August 2012.

SWTOR is in a state that I would by no means call "robustly healthy", but it is NOT in maintenance mode.

You're free to disagree - I'm glad you do...I was simply stating my opinion. But to argue that GW1 has less content is kinda silly, don't you think? If there were a SWTOR2 on the horizon, I'd understand a little bit better...but I don't believe there is.

At first, I thought this must be another necro of an old thread. People have been asking this since about a month after release. :rolleyes:

Whenever someone asks questions like, "is the game dying, should I come back, is balance still awful," etc., I feel like I am being trolled.

To me it indicates an initial lack of trust, distaste for the game and no matter what anyone says the person will come to these conclusions again if they even bother trying the game anew.

Hard for me to give an honest assessment to someone when they start out the gates with a negative mindset.

But hey OP It's not dead yet, balance still struggles, content seems to not appease us generally speaking but we are still here enjoying swtor!

The next big changes seem to center around PVP so if you into PVP you might be happy to hear that.

If this game is in maintenance mode, why am I going broke trying to buy half the new things being released in the Cartel Market? And why are so many people replying to this post? And why do I get spammed by invites to guilds, ops groups, and other such in Fleet?

Maintenance mode, hah. Silly players.

And considering the OP is posting on the forums, it means they've already invested in the game as well.

Yeah the game is dying. It will go away. Someday. But probably not today.

If this game is in maintenance mode, why am I going broke trying to buy half the new things being released in the Cartel Market?

Why are you?

And why are so many people replying to this post?

One page and a half is not "many people". It's the usual dozen (if at all) who are still active here and reply to everything new, because there is not much new to choose from. The forum has never been that quiet, not even in 2009, long before the game even started.

And why do I get spammed by invites to guilds, ops groups, and other such in Fleet?

You do? I haven't been spam invited once this whole year. I'm wondering why you reacted so triggered. There is nothing much going on in this game anymore, especially if you compare it to earlier years.

To the OP: It's going one step forward, two steps backward. Or three.

You're free to disagree - I'm glad you do...I was simply stating my opinion. But to argue that GW1 has less content is kinda silly, don't you think? If there were a SWTOR2 on the horizon, I'd understand a little bit better...but I don't believe there is.

No, I don't think so. The assertion is that SWTOR is in Maintenance Mode. The statement is clearly on the same street as the truth, but you have to think about what Maintenance Mode includes, and saying that SWTOR is in the same state as GW1 is clearly nonsense, and if "maintenance mode" is broad enough to include the state of GW1 *and* the state of SWTOR, it's a largely meaningless term.

That's why I make that reference. Maybe I need to put more explanation into what I say. Sorry.

No, I don't think so. The assertion is that SWTOR is in Maintenance Mode. The statement is clearly on the same street as the truth, but you have to think about what Maintenance Mode includes, and saying that SWTOR is in the same state as GW1 is clearly nonsense, and if "maintenance mode" is broad enough to include the state of GW1 *and* the state of SWTOR, it's a largely meaningless term.

That's why I make that reference. Maybe I need to put more explanation into what I say. Sorry.

I never suggested it was in the same state that GW1 was - you made that comparison, not me.

I believe SWTOR is in a state of trying to maintain what they currently have for players, hence "maintenance mode". I do not believe Bioware is trying to grow the game, nor appeal to players who don't currently play. They haven't added any new system to the game since GSF was added, which to me, is an indication of 'growth' and trying to appeal to more players. They've released new forms of existing content in an effort to appeal to players, but growth for this game has seemingly ceased. Developments trickle of content is so anemic that it's impossible to mistake it as an attempt to grow the game - it's meant to appease...so maybe that's a better term? We're in appeasement mode? Would that be better?

And no need to apologize...I'm not trying to argue with you, this is just a discussion of opinions, and your point is a valid one...some of our "MMO terms" are meaningless because they're not clearly defined.

Edited by TUXs

Your response brought a smile to my face. :) And it's true as well. A twofer, thanks.

I have often wondered why it matters if there are 100 people on fleet or 30 if someone only really interacts with a portion of their guild (if in one) or their regular friends.

Other than if low populations will mean shutdown eventually (usually) you can mostly still have as much fun as you want, well not waiting for Queues etc but still.

There's a happy medium between too many and not enough players in one spot. No I don't think we are there

"Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded" Yogi Berra

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly took to General and Trade chat, and were suddenly empowered. I fear something terrible has happened."

I still miss MxO. I was still having fun even though the numbers playing were really really low. so for SWTOR until its last one out, close the lights, I intend to play even if I wish there was more ______ & better _______ & the ability to _______. "You never know what you got till its gone"

Well, it was a valid question just after launch. I think it's James Ohlen that said the game basically died at launch. (You can find the interview if you google for it.) EA gave them a deadline to go F2P or they were going to shut it down. Launch flopped that badly. Since then it's been the game has been in a slow decline (sometimes not so slow, like when GC came out.)

This game will last as long as EA wants to say they have a SW MMO. After that, it's gone. They are investing very little in it and the dev team seems to be a really small team. If Anthem flops, expect to see the BW name go away like Viceral.

This game is overall, doing better than most of the MMORPG, it has been 6 and a half years and it's still alive, ppl are still subbing, that's not easy. MMORPG has already been going downhill since its release.

But obviously it's no longer in a good condition anymore. Lack of new content is killing it, and the current content need a major overhaul to make them relevant to players. The blostered ops and forced level sync was a bad bad move and is still affecting the game.

Edited by Slowpokeking

I never suggested it was in the same state that GW1 was - you made that comparison, not me.

I believe SWTOR is in a state of trying to maintain what they currently have for players, hence "maintenance mode". I do not believe Bioware is trying to grow the game, nor appeal to players who don't currently play. They haven't added any new system to the game since GSF was added, which to me, is an indication of 'growth' and trying to appeal to more players. They've released new forms of existing content in an effort to appeal to players, but growth for this game has seemingly ceased. Developments trickle of content is so anemic that it's impossible to mistake it as an attempt to grow the game - it's meant to appease...so maybe that's a better term? We're in appeasement mode? Would that be better?

And no need to apologize...I'm not trying to argue with you, this is just a discussion of opinions, and your point is a valid one...some of our "MMO terms" are meaningless because they're not clearly defined.

And they are not doing all good with it.

It's not just about new content, but the old content could use a big patch to fix all the bugs and change them to suit players' need.

The forced level sync and bloster ops to top level was a very bad move, it has damaged both ends.

This game is overall, doing better than most of the MMORPG, it has been 6 and a half years and it's still alive, ppl are still subbing, that's not easy. MMORPG has already been going downhill since its release.

But obviously it's no longer in a good condition anymore. Lack of new content is killing it, and the current content need a major overhaul to make them relevant to players. The blostered ops and forced level sync was a bad bad move and is still affecting the game.

5.x has been an unmitigated disaster. It's the worst meta this game has every seen I think and the loss of players was extreme for a time.

That said, you cannot say a game is in maintence mode when new content is being developed, changes in PVP, changes being made in other areas of the game as well, new storylines are being produced and a new meta will be coming soon [6.0]. All of those things defy a finding of maintanece mode.

I wasn't at all suprised by the trickling of new content in 5.0 considering the costs that must have gone into to merge the servers. I'm fine with that because the mergers were the best thing they did in 5.x and has improved the game greatly. I play on Star Forge and I couldn't be happier with the population levels, group content availability, and quece times. It's better than it's been for a while before than. Certainly there are other issues, and some bad choices were made by devs, but overall, I am very happy with how things are on Star Forge.

The contract for this game that was signed has an end date of 2022. So unless there are contract breakings or legal measures to get out of said contract, this game is slatted to go on til at least than. Whether or not that means things will be good or bad until than that's something else. 6.0 has the opportunity to turn things around some depending on what sorts of changes are made in the new meta. I'm not necessarily optimistic, but I am cautiously optimistic. The potential for a turn around is there, we'll just have to wait and see.

The game is dieing, the game is dead, the game is over, we been hearing that crap since 1.2, 6 years or thereabouts. Doomers and gloomers keep totting the same line year after year and here we all still are.

This is Star Wars and Star Wars is forever. This game won't last forever, but the love and desire to play in the Star Wars Universe will never go away. Until they come out with a better Star Wars MMO, I'll be here killing as many people as I can until the lights go out. =]

IT may not be perfect, but it sure as hell beats not having a Star Wars MMO to play at all.

5.x has been an unmitigated disaster. It's the worst meta this game has every seen I think and the loss of players was extreme for a time.

That said, you cannot say a game is in maintence mode when new content is being developed, changes in PVP, changes being made in other areas of the game as well, new storylines are being produced and a new meta will be coming soon [6.0]. All of those things defy a finding of maintanece mode.

I wasn't at all suprised by the trickling of new content in 5.0 considering the costs that must have gone into to merge the servers. I'm fine with that because the mergers were the best thing they did in 5.x and has improved the game greatly. I play on Star Forge and I couldn't be happier with the population levels, group content availability, and quece times. It's better than it's been for a while before than. Certainly there are other issues, and some bad choices were made by devs, but overall, I am very happy with how things are on Star Forge.

The contract for this game that was signed has an end date of 2022. So unless there are contract breakings or legal measures to get out of said contract, this game is slatted to go on til at least than. Whether or not that means things will be good or bad until than that's something else. 6.0 has the opportunity to turn things around some depending on what sorts of changes are made in the new meta. I'm not necessarily optimistic, but I am cautiously optimistic. The potential for a turn around is there, we'll just have to wait and see.

The game is dieing, the game is dead, the game is over, we been hearing that crap since 1.2, 6 years or thereabouts. Doomers and gloomers keep totting the same line year after year and here we all still are.

This is Star Wars and Star Wars is forever. This game won't last forever, but the love and desire to play in the Star Wars Universe will never go away. Until they come out with a better Star Wars MMO, I'll be here killing as many people as I can until the lights go out. =]

IT may not be perfect, but it sure as hell beats not having a Star Wars MMO to play at all.

5.x is at least better than 4.x, where we actually get better content.

4.x is the worst one ever, I'm not criticizing the story, but the content is just terrible. Stories are not made as repeatable content with extra fun. SF is just bad bad, Eternal Championship was the only "ok" content. And we got the terrible terrible bloster all the ops to top level+forced level sync. It simply hurt both ends and resulted with a lot of content's death.

I don't think it will die soon, but it's not in a good condition at all, change is definitely needed.

Edited by Slowpokeking