im a new player and i have a question.

ThaBringer

Hi im a new player i just started playing, im a subscriber. i started out with a jedi sentinel and have gotten it lv 26 so far and have been enjoying the game so far. my question i have is should i use this free lv 70 boost that lets me boost a created char to lv 70? was thinking of using it on a guardian. if so is there a guide on what to do after boosting a char for new players? if not what should i focus on doing once i boost my char to level 70?

Hi im a new player i just started playing, im a subscriber. i started out with a jedi sentinel and have gotten it lv 26 so far and have been enjoying the game so far. my question i have is should i use this free lv 70 boost that lets me boost a created char to lv 70? was thinking of using it on a guardian. if so is there a guide on what to do after boosting a char for new players? if not what should i focus on doing once i boost my char to level 70?

No. You should learn the game, how to play your character. You should not use a level boost.

Your choice to boost a character is your own, but allow me to explain what happens so you understand what that boost means.

Currently there are two levels to which you can boost a character, and two means by which to do it. A Commander's Character Token will allow you to start a new character at either level 60 or level 70, but those characters will be jumped forward in the story, The level 60 character will start with the 4.0 expansion Knights of the Fallen Empire. The level 70 character will start just prior to the 6.0 expansion Onslaught. In either case you will skip over a lot of the story, and be locked out of doing that story with that character. The other method to boost a character is called a Master's Datacron. This can be used on any character that is below level 70 to automatically raise their level to 70 (yes, it could be used on a level 69 character, but is best used on a low level character). Using a Master's Datacron will only raise your character's level, but will not skip over the story. A Master's Datacron has the advantage of allowing you to experience the story with a high level character. Once you have used a Master's Datacron you can choose to skip ahead in the story to various points.

What you have access to on the character creation screen in a Commander's Character Token. Using that will allow you to start at either level 60 or 70, but you will skip over much of the story (most of it if you start at 70). Many people agree that the early story, particularly the original class stories, is some of the best content in the game. Using your Commander's Character Token will lock you out of the story on that character. There are a few other things that will be restricted, we well. You will not receive the species unlock for playing that species to level 50, you will not receive the class unlocks for completing the three class story chapters, you will not receive credit for that class toward the legendary achievement. To be clear, these restrictions apply to that character. You can always make another character of the same class and earn all of the above with it.

So, should you use the Commander's Character Token and skip over that story? For someone who is new and just started playing the game I would suggest that you do not. Play the stories. Play each of the classes. Find out what you like playing. You said you started with a Jedi Sentinel. Do you like playing Sentinel? Do you like the Jedi Knight story (both Sentinel and Guardian are Knights and experience the same story). Do you plan to continue the story on that character? Would having spoilers about the later story impact how you feel about continuing to play that character? With the Commander's Character Token, once you have completed a mission you can not retrieve the token by deleting the character. What if you make a Guardian and decide that you prefer Sentinel? Now you have used your token and can not get it back. The Commander's Character Token is best used in situations where you have played a class story and decided that you want a character in the other advanced class* (or maybe the same one) but do not want to play the story again.

My suggestion would be to wait and play each of the stories before you decide to use your token. With the current character leveling experience level 26 is quite low and easy to reach. If you are not concerned with the story, and do not feel that spoilers will impact your decisions, then I would suggest at the least creating characters of the different classes and playing them a bit. Get a feel for how they play before you decide to use your token to create a boosted character. The experience at low level will be quite different than that at level 60 or 70, but playing to level 20 will give you a feel for that classes style of combat.

As far a guides, here is a link to Swtorista's Ultimate Guide of Guides for SWTOR 2020. As a new player this guide of guides will have a number of very useful links.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9811151

You might find the section "Choosing a Class" interesting as it includes links to videos that provide an overview of some of the classes. Unfortunately, not all classes appear to be covered, but there is a video on Jedi Guardians.

* Jedi Knight is the base class while Sentinel and Guardian are the advanced classes. These are hold over terms from when character creation was a little different.

Definitely go through the whole story line and not use the boost, you will be happy you didn't use it since by using the boost you miss out on a bunch of the story that is needed.

Additionally, most Story missions offer a consumable that gives a boost to experience earned for a few hours; between those consumables, side-quests (side-missions, Exploration missions, Planetary mission arcs, Planetary Bonus Arcs, etc.) and even the occasional Double XP Event, it doesn't take long for a character to reach level seventy without a token if it's reaching max level you want.