Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dumb question: how are you supposed to level a healer merc .... with Mako?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Dumb question: how are you supposed to level a healer merc .... with Mako?

Roughneck
12.29.2013 , 06:38 AM | #11
If Possible get your HK unit through Legacy, remove the lvl50 droid parts and replace them with lower droid parts,

You can put those parts into your cargo hold until your lvl50 and re-equiped them
Kor'anor: Lighting Sorcerer (lvl60)
Wolf'anor: Marksman Sniper (lvl60)

Other games: http://warofdragons.com/register.php?referrer=Nighthawk

Mabylin
12.29.2013 , 08:57 PM | #12
I wouldn't recommend actually even attempting to heal before 40, at least for me, I started to get more into flashpoints and PvPing, where healing was needed. I would recommend you take the Arsenal {Damage} branch. The next companion you'll get, assuming you only have Mako at the moment, is a ranged DPS. Just put skill points in the Arsenal branch until you reach that level where you get the new companion. Then you can switch to healer if you want.

But again, I wouldn't become a healer unless you're really attuned to warzones, flashpoints, or operations.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
True power comes in belief in one's self.

Fatalllll
01.05.2014 , 10:21 AM | #13
i wouldnt even heal until after 50-55, then just do a big round of dailies as healer to get used to it.
The bastion
luftwaffle - merc snipeislame - sniper healingislame - sorc
http://www.twitch.tv/healingislame

MaximilianPower
01.05.2014 , 05:32 PM | #14
I've leveled all my healers as healers. I feel it gives me a better handle on healing mechanics for those classes. And I don't have to spend the five minutes rearranging my quickbars after a respec, so, you know, that saves a bit of time.

The only healing class I haven't yet taken to 55 is merc, which I'm doing right now. I plan on leveling this guy as a healer too, despite having Mako as a comp right now. She seems to toss in some decent dps now and then, too. Yes, specing DPS would probably get me leveled a bit faster, but generally I'm at least 2-3 levels above the current class content, and well-geared, given that it's so quick to get a flashpoint queue pop for a healer. With the level advantage, dps'ing even as a healer becomes pretty easy. And with Mako healing me, I can just roll from one mob to the next without any downtime for recharge/reload.

I also pvp and play gsf, so all that extra XP makes it super easy to level.

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Tensorcide Zuck-srw'i
Maximilian Power TøbiasFünke Tryhard Neckbeard MaxPower-srw
Star Forge / Satele Shan / Darth Malgus

Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

Kaos_KidSWTOR
01.05.2014 , 06:11 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximilianPower View Post
I've leveled all my healers as healers. I feel it gives me a better handle on healing mechanics for those classes. And I don't have to spend the five minutes rearranging my quickbars after a respec, so, you know, that saves a bit of time.

The only healing class I haven't yet taken to 55 is merc, which I'm doing right now. I plan on leveling this guy as a healer too, despite having Mako as a comp right now. She seems to toss in some decent dps now and then, too. Yes, specing DPS would probably get me leveled a bit faster, but generally I'm at least 2-3 levels above the current class content, and well-geared, given that it's so quick to get a flashpoint queue pop for a healer. With the level advantage, dps'ing even as a healer becomes pretty easy. And with Mako healing me, I can just roll from one mob to the next without any downtime for recharge/reload.

I also pvp and play gsf, so all that extra XP makes it super easy to level.
As a Merc, i would highly reccomend buying Treek. Treek is a good enough tank to help you through till you get Blizz.

grrrly
01.11.2014 , 10:01 PM | #16
Honestly, I would go dps until you get your next companion and switch to heals when you get a few more useful abilities. It's good to learn how to heal with your class early on rather than making the switch at 55, but I think starting to heal in the mid to late 20s gives you a ton of time to get a grip on healing before you get to end game.

midianlord
01.15.2014 , 06:18 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
Build up Supercharge and then use Power Shot and Unload to kill stuff (iirc SuperCharge reduces their heat cost to 0)
Having rolled a lil' baby-HealMerc recently (Awwww, he's so cute ), I can corroborate: ^^This!^^

Incredibly useful and helpful. (It's very easy to overheat otherwise at low levels.)

Mako can DPS surprisingly well, too: Order her to attack first manually, and she'll always open with her big DoT, which immediately makes the target vulnerable to RailShot.

So, the fight (assuming Strong-or-higher primary --this is how I've been doing it, YMMV):

Build up SCG ---> Order Mako to attack primary ---> Explosive Dart---> Railshot ---> SCG ---> Kolto Missile for the shield on both of you ---> Unload + PowerShots until SCG expires ---> Rapid Shots to build SCG back up (with Rapid Scan for its charges as well if you've low heat and need a heal).

Yes, the "real" fights will take longer --although up till about level 20-ish, it makes little real difference, IME-- because you'll have to use Rapid Shots a lot more to keep from over-heating if you're also using your heals (which you should almost never need on trash).

But the upside is that you should never, ever die, unless you've bitten off waaaaaaaaay more than any solo player/companion can chew anyway, or if things go really badly pear-shaped (Example: Sudden lag-spike to 10k ping whilst trying to solo the local Champion).
Merc and 'Slinger since launch, Merc and 'Slinger for life
(Feels good, doesn't it? Well it certainly does for me!)