Fresh 50, corso sucks as a tank

BobaFetaCheese

I've been playing with Guss Tuno since I got him and content has been fine, but I wanted to regear up Corso for the last bit of the game and finish the game with him.

So, I kept choosing droid parts that had 48/50 green armoring/mods on them. Combined with blue enhancements I got for quests, I was able to regear up Corso.

I get the quest to take on the final bad guy for the Smuggler. I land in the cargo hold and proceed the first battle, Corso dies before it ends. What The Fridge corso! A bunch of 48 nobodies takes down a 46-50 modded Corso.

A few more battles with him and I give up. No dice.

I switch back over to Guss Tuno and proceed the finish the mission with very few hiccups.

How is it that a poorer geared Medium-armor Gunslinger can tank better w/ a pocket healer than a better geared Heavy-armor ranged tank companion? Healing helps, but even a healer wouldn't have helped Corso survive any longer.

I had this dream, that once I hit 50, that I'd epically gear up my companions and we'd crit the universe with our power. But how can I do that if Corso can't hold his own at end-game?

How have others experienced end-game with Corso? What does it take to make this farm boy into a soldier?

Edited by BobaFetaCheese

Every tank companion has been awful since they took the armor buff away from their tank stance back in beta. In all honesty, you are better off going with a healer as a DPS or a DPS as a healer(I know on my Scoundrel and my Consular, my DPS can keep agro off me as long as I don't go balls deep on the DPS) since a DPS will tank just as well as a tank companion, but they also have the added benefit of doing actual damage as opposed to tank companion's pitiful "damage."

Sad but true. At least Bioware said in a QnA that they will possibly be looking at the gimpyness of tank companions in the future.

Every tank companion has been awful since they took the armor buff away from their tank stance back in beta.

This. In my experience, levelling 4 toons to 50 so far, tank companions become useless around Level 40 or so. They can't hold aggro except during the six seconds after their taunt, and unless you do nothing but heal them, they can't survive holding aggro even for that long against anything where you'd like to have a tank.

Yeah, I agree they need a buff.

Example: As sawbones I'll be soloing Kovic from the Chasing the Shadow daily. The first companion I ever tried was Corso, in full Tionese and a couple Columi pieces. He was pretty hard to keep up, there was a close call or two.

Then I decide to be brave and heal Risha through it (columi level gear). While it was a little harder to to keep her up, I was surprised that it was still possible. She actually wasn't all that different from Corso! I don't even think I had her on her "defensive" stance either...

My point is, if they're that close, either nerf dps companion survivability, or buff a tank companion's. And I'd prefer the latter.

Edited by Stenrik

I often play with Corso and it has been pretty good for my little scoundrel. Mind you, it was a ton easier after I took his taunt of autocast and started to use it myself. As soon as some badie stars shooting at my girl I tell Corso to go and get him. It made everything so much easier for me at least. Edited by SilentKitty

I often play with Corso and it has been pretty good for my little scoundrel. Mind you, it was a ton easier after I took his taunt of autocast and started to use it myself. As soon as some badie stars shooting at my girl I tell Corso to go and get him. It made everything so much easier for me at least.

Doesn`t change the fact, that Corso falls on his knees as soon as said badie merely looks at him.;)

Tank companions tank like wet tissues.

Yes, they are marginally better in the survivability and aggro holding department than dps or healer companions, but their damage is crap. Their damage is worse than a DPS companion's ability to take damage. So by taking a tank companion along for the ride, you're losing more than you gain.

And this is coming from someone who hooked his Corso up with level 50 Tionese gear, with Absorb and Shield Rating mods. The good stuff. Corso still tanks like crap.

Alternatively, hooking Guss up with good gear means having a legit pocket healer. His heals are really hefty, and he does some CC and damage in the process. Typically, I can start combat with Black Hole mobs, go grab a beer, and still be alive when I come back... Assuming Guss hasn't killed them all by then.

I gear tank companions for DPS and use them in a DPS stance. The difference between DPS and DPS-geared tank companions in a DPS stance isn't huge, but they get tank utility like taunts (helps to juggle aggro on manual control), some get pull, etc etc. Also, ranged DPS companions tend to have their cast bars pushed back when they aggro - tank companions and melee don't have that.

Companion defensive stats scale awfully indeed. But they can dish out enough damage to be valuable.

I've been playing with Guss Tuno since I got him and content has been fine, but I wanted to regear up Corso for the last bit of the game and finish the game with him.

So, I kept choosing droid parts that had 48/50 green armoring/mods on them. Combined with blue enhancements I got for quests, I was able to regear up Corso.

I get the quest to take on the final bad guy for the Smuggler. I land in the cargo hold and proceed the first battle, Corso dies before it ends. What The Fridge corso! A bunch of 48 nobodies takes down a 46-50 modded Corso.

A few more battles with him and I give up. No dice.

I switch back over to Guss Tuno and proceed the finish the mission with very few hiccups.

How is it that a poorer geared Medium-armor Gunslinger can tank better w/ a pocket healer than a better geared Heavy-armor ranged tank companion? Healing helps, but even a healer wouldn't have helped Corso survive any longer.

I had this dream, that once I hit 50, that I'd epically gear up my companions and we'd crit the universe with our power. But how can I do that if Corso can't hold his own at end-game?

How have others experienced end-game with Corso? What does it take to make this farm boy into a soldier?

I read somewhere that they were considering buffing Tank companions

Out of curiosity, are you a healer? And are you max level?

Yes, I am a Sawbones/Scrapper hybrid lvl 50, Corso is decked out in purple crafted armormech gear and Bowie is in orange gear with cybertech crafted purple armoring/mods. I regularly solo the Belsavis heroics, and any other H2+'s I got while leveling up. Hell my companions have even tanked flashpoints when the tank drops out

In the late forties, I generally find I (sharpshooting gunslinger) alternate between having Risha by my side for the banter and the shared DPS- against strong and standard groups, the combined flame-grilling potential's usually enough on its own without having to worry about tanks or healers, and even occasionally against Elites, if it's the right sort of elite- i.e. not a force user or a droid- or, on the other hand, having Guss around for the 'relax, don't worry what they throw at you, Guss'll sort it' fun.

Corso gets the occasional outing when I think it'd be nice for my smuggler to have a day out with her boyfriend, and I do attempt to use him during his own storyline quests... which usually lasts until his second embarrassingly sudden death. Bowdarr... I think I've used twice, if that. He and Akaavi generally only get taken out to be given presents and then packed off on missions again.

Yes, I am a Sawbones/Scrapper hybrid lvl 50, Corso is decked out in purple crafted armormech gear and Bowie is in orange gear with cybertech crafted purple armoring/mods. I regularly solo the Belsavis heroics, and any other H2+'s I got while leveling up. Hell my companions have even tanked flashpoints when the tank drops out

Ohh... I will have to try out the Belsavis H2+ later on when my Corso and scoundrel-healer is geared up a little. This sounds like fun!

That's what I thought. See, the slightly-better-than-yours defense attributes from Corso are handy when you can just heal him indefinitely. But for DPS classes without heals? Doesn't work. Every hit he takes brings you closer to wipe. It's just a countdown to destruction.