Loot Acquisition Feedback

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

This is the main feedback thread for all things loot acquisition in Phase 2! Phase 2 is really about getting loot, whether that is from drops in content, purchased from vendors, or crafted. We want your thoughts!

• Does acquiring gear feel too fast? Too slow?
  • Do you understand what to do to get gear?
  • How do you feel about the primary sources of getting gear? (playing content and Missions)
  • How do you feel about the contribution of the supplementary systems? (vendors, crafting, Renown)

Remember that for gear acquisition we want you to focus on Hammer Station or Karagga's Palace on any difficulty.

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having run Hammer Station on Veteran Mode twice so far, I just say I'm somewhat disappointed by how the loot system didn't really seem to improve, especially in regards to randomness.

Just like with Command Crates, you can still get gear for certain slots that absolutely isn't useful to you. One of the bosses in Hammer Station gave me a Tank Relic while being on a Lightning Sorcerer, while the final boss of Hammer Station dropped a Tactical for an Operative, even though there was none in the group to be beneficial to.

I've also noticed that not everyone in the group seems to be receiving the Bound to Legacy renown tokens as they did before.

I have yet to obtain one of the consumable renown items after 2 runs of Hammer Station. We've all picked up the gear. Is it automatically spending it immediately instead of putting it in inventory? I ask because I see it as an item for me to pick up, I right click to pick it up and it doesn't go into my inventory. Edited by Shuragel

I have yet to obtain one of the consumable renown items after 2 runs of Hammer Station. We've all picked up the gear. Is it automatically spending it immediately instead of putting it in inventory? I ask because I see it as an item for me to pick up, I right click to pick it up and it doesn't go into my inventory.

-never mind, misread-

Edited by Raansu

Does acquiring gear feel too fast? Too slow?

- Slow.

Do you understand what to do to get gear?

- Play stuff from activity finder or pvp etc, get tech components and then spend them or use the loot from bosses.

How do you feel about the primary sources of getting gear? (playing content and Missions)

- I feel like this is classic SWTOR. Which is better than Galactic Command ever was.

How do you feel about the contribution of the supplementary systems? (vendors, crafting, Renown)

- It's rubbish because its not giving me relevant gear.

- It's not giving me enough supplementary crates.

Feedback

Sith shadow deception

I ran 5 Vet Hammer station and majority of the gear I got was either a upgrade or a piece that was the same item rating (270) but different stats. However when it came to mods in vet I only got 1 or 2 mods from doing those 5 hammer stations.

Suggestion

!. I feel 1 mod comes from each boss for every other boss fight in a flashpoint along with everything else. If I feel this is important for the amps acquisition to be good.

2. The one Mod I got was for tanks, I feel that the mods that drops should go with your discipline, imo which would make the RNG in the amps better if your at least getting a DPS mod and not a tank one.. But if a tank mod was to drop I think it should be as a extra mod from the drop.

Edited by commanderwar

Quick impression on running about 4 hours tonight - I ran Czerka weekly, Oricon weekly, some dailies in the new area, and Depths of Manaan solo flashpoint on a Virulence Sniper. I did not receive a basic set of gear so I started with 252 gear on MH, OH, Armor and 230 gear on relics, implants and ear piece.

Does acquiring gear feel too fast? Too slow? Too slow and limited. I did get some random drops from the mobs and bosses I killed although I was disappointed that in the solo mode flashpoint each boss did not give me a piece of random loot. I will say that each gear I did get technically was higher rated (270 and above), but I did wind up with tanking pieces which seemed odd considering I was playing a Sniper. Anything that I did not consider usable I disintegrated but the awards for this were meager. At the end of my time I had 68 tech fragments and it takes at least 250 to get a random piece of gear from a vendor and 1500 to buy a specific gear from Kaizen. I did not receive any tacticals nor did I see a vendor where I could buy any (hugely disappointing). Nor did I get any set bonus pieces. With a booster I got three renown levels and each renown drop was one random item. So with about four hours of game time, I managed to get five pieces of upgraded but non moddable gear (OH, Head, Implant, Boots, Legs, highest value was 276 Legs), no tacticals and no set pieces. Outside of OPs, it feels like getting multiple set bonus armor sets and tacticals will be really slow.

Do you understand what to do to get gear? It seems like the only real way to get gear will be to run OPs, as they have the best rewards and offer the most tech fragments.

How do you feel about the primary sources of getting gear? (playing content and Missions) It doesn't feel like "Play my way" at all as getting gear/tacticals of any type (never mind min/maxing) via other methods other than running OPs is probably technically doable but will be extremely slow.

How do you feel about the contribution of the supplementary systems? (vendors, crafting, Renown) Not really helpful. Vendors rely on tech fragments which are not easy to get unless you are running OPs. Crafting relies on drops from Conquest - Solid Resource Matrix and you only get two of these for completing the personal conquest. Most items on my cybertech Sniper it took 20 of these to craft a single 274 enhancement or 268 ear piece; so without a GTN it will take 10 weeks of completing the personal conquest to craft one item (not even remotely feasible or helpful). Renown is OK since it is not considered a primary source for gear. It's not fast but if I can get a few pieces of gear just from doing weeklies then I will call it good enough.

Suggestions: Add Tech Fragrments to all weeklies. Add basic gear (266? 268?) that doesn't require special materials if it is crafted and/or add a merchant to sell for credits. Please make sure the loot dropped in Renown crates is applicable to your current class/spec. Add a merchant to sell at least a couple of general tacticals so when we all turn 75 we can fill that slot with something. Not related to this particular topic but I am not sure where else to mention it: it would be really nice if we could buy augments and augment kits for credits from a vendor as well.

As always, just my two cents.

Does acquiring gear feel too fast? Too slow?

It's really slow. I get the whole MMO Grind fest thing but shouldn't there be at least one create drop per flash point since they are not even giving out gear that is class relevant.

Do you understand what to do to get gear?

Yep, Grind Grind Grind, Pretty standard it's just painfully slow and not rewarding.

How do you feel about the primary sources of getting gear? (playing content and Missions) I don't mind bosses having gear drops again but they really need to be tuned to drop relevant items. Maybe the grind would not feel as bad if at least your getting something usable for your class even if its an off spec piece.

How do you feel about the contribution of the supplementary systems? (vendors, crafting, Renown)

Its awful with the current state of how gear drops happen. It feels like diablo where your running the same thing over and over for a small chance to get any type of upgrade.

The way gear drops are tuned right now it's going to be quite a grind. I can see gear dropping, but it's BARELY an improvement over what I'm wearing (258), there's still too much dropping that is not useful.

Speaking of that, right now it feels like I'm being punished for getting to lvl 75. I have no set bonus at all, even though I'm in full 258. My stats are pure garbage, so all the work I did to max out in 5.10x is nerfed to hell. The single worst thing is alacrity. I worked my @## off in 5.x to get to 1.3 GCD, and now i'm back to 1.4. No thank you. As it stands rn this is way too big a downgrade and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

So now I have to grind all over again to get to where I already was before lvl 75? Why do I want to level up then? For a few dailies, one FP and one Op?

I've seen the numbers it takes to get alacrity, accuracy, and crit up to where it is (relatively) in live, and this currently feels very unpleasant, and a grind I'm really not feeling like is worth it with current drop tuning.

I get that gear shouldn't just be thrown at players, and that there's got to be some give to prevent power creep, but I honestly feel like the balance is too far off right now, it's frustrating.

On the bright side, a few hours of grinding fp & dailies and I do have more gear than I started out with, and almost enough tech frags to buy an 'unidentified' armor piece. I'm guessing that's and RNG item? So not so different from GC?

Kai Zykken seems expensive at 1500 tech frags btw

Edited by cibacrome

Hey folks,

This is the main feedback thread for all things loot acquisition in Phase 2! Phase 2 is really about getting loot, whether that is from drops in content, purchased from vendors, or crafted. We want your thoughts!

• Does acquiring gear feel too fast? Too slow?
  • Do you understand what to do to get gear?
  • How do you feel about the primary sources of getting gear? (playing content and Missions)
  • How do you feel about the contribution of the supplementary systems? (vendors, crafting, Renown)

-eric

Gearing throughout pvp is too slow! I barely can see getting any serious gear even if i will play for several weeks with this system. Bolster isnt helping much it is broken as always and isn't boosting all stats as always.

Edited by omaan

Hey folks,

[*]How do you feel about the primary sources of getting gear? (playing content and Missions)

-eric

Pls stop spreading lies to players since pvp is is also part of content and it barely provides any end game gear. Return back unessembled componets and fair prices for end game content gear, reurn back weeklies and daylies for solo ranked or regs or both for which we could get a crystal or something for gear exchange. Do something with gearing via both ranked and unranked pvp

So what i did:

Some bosses of dxun operation SM - no loot at all.

About 10 veteran hammer stations - personal greenies, 2 times tactical dropped, both times it was tactical fitting noone in group (like marauder tactical with 0 marauders in a group).

KP sm once. No persoanl loot at all, every boss dropped 1 green item 270ilvl for group. Last boss dropped one setbonus item (for group).

imho it's kinda slow and still lots of RNG.

I run 2 Veteran and 1 Master Hammer-Station so far.

And my impression is the system is very "inconsistent" in regards of deciding which item is an improvement.

The rate i get renown points feels maybe a bit at the lower end, considering I had an active boost half of the time and got only around 1 rank (sum of all 3 runs, not for each - but probably this belongs in another thread).

Starting with my current equip from live server a lot of stuff dropping is item rating 270 and shown as "improvement" compared to the old 250-258.

Confusing thing is, I'm playing in tank spec/gear and its dropping Dps gear (where "my expectation" is to get relevant stats for my current discipline). Still its showing this stuff as improvement with the green arrow - so I assumed this is only depending on item rating.

(which by itself is a very old pitfall to encourage players to equip stats they dont need - I remember the good old times when we had gear with cunning and def-stats)

After respeccing to dps and equiping all the new 270 gear - other old 258 gear like wrists are shown as "improvement" compared to the equipped 270 - i guess due to the augment and therefore higher stat-pool?

Here I'm a bit confused which items I should wear to actually get drops which are realy an improvement. Statwise the old seems still better, but i think the game will give me only drops in 270 which is a higher rating then. So I'm supposed to equip the less effecitve 270 gear anyway?

Additional for relics and implants (which we have twice) the "improvement" icon is shown as long as one of the slots is not filled or contains an lower item. But with the confusion above I'm not realy sure in which of the slots I should replace my relic/implant. Especially here I think it might by a good idea to show an red "down" arrow in the comparison-tooltip of the equipt item additional to the green "up" in the inventory.

In regards to desintegration and the Tech Fragments I get for this, I feel its not enough compared to the vendor prices

Edited by Jyroshi

Another suggestion is to make the green gear and blue gear from Op, FP be modifiable, at least your main hand weapons be modifiable because of the lack of weapon custom designer

imo all new armor pieces should be modifiable, even the green and blue one (which should not be green/blue then as well), since i'm not gonna augment a new chestpiece which is a bit better than my old one or exchange my set bonus chestpiece for it, absolutely stupid imo

And they should undo the recolouring of adaptive armor. Why did they even decide to make them blue like standard gear (was). For me taking a look at my character sheet is horrible, it feels like i'm wearing cheap gear and not good gear

All I got from 4 wz's arena's, 2 M FP's and KP OPS was some green useless stuff that had worse stats than my 258 augmented gear.

Also, "CXP" gains or whatever you wanna call it now are very little, feels like 5.0 grind where you had to spent 6 hrs str8 grinding M FP's or Vet Uprising just to get 9 crates which gave nothing useful.

Please don't go back to that, one Ben Irving grind fest was enough.

If this goes live, I'm seriously gonna leave this game and never look back and trust me, I've been through all sorts of hell in this game all the way back from 2014 until now.

How am I gonna enjoy the content I wanna play if I first have to grind for proper gear for months probably?

Also, what's up with set bonus gear having no mods at all?

Bring back MODS VENDOR so we could buy mods we want.

Okay, I'm going to try not to be too angry. But what in the actual living **** is this garbage?!

For reference, I've done Onderon Dailies, Arenas, Flashpoints and KP SM.

It's nice that we can acquire gear somewhat easily from almost all content types (except PvP but I'll talk about that later). But, the quality of the gear and the gear itself, from all sources, is complete utter garbage.

THIS SYSTEM IS FLAWED.

The key problem is the reliance on getting gear based on item rating.

You have to EQUIP a FULL SET one tier of gear (eg. 270) before you can move up to the next tier of gear (whatever *********** number that is). So in order to be able to get better gear, we are literally forced to equip sub-optimal gear that isn't correct stats in the hopes of getting gear that is a better item rating that if we're lucky might give us better stats or hell maybe even a set bonus. It is tiresome, it is tedious, it is far too reliant on RNG. It is garbage.

This also ties into getting gear/stats relevant to your class. FFS don't put tank stats on gear for Operatives. Operatives should not get gear drops with tank stats on them. Ever. (That was quite disturbing to watch on stream tbh).

Group loot is also problematic. Tailor the loot to the members of the group. Group content should drop gear group members CAN ACTUALLY USE!

For example, my BF (Juggernaut DPS) and I (Mercenary Heals) did some Hammer Station runs. A couple of times we had a Tactical Item drop. Both times, neither of us could use it! It was always for a different advanced class. What a waste!

Another waste was Operations. I got into a KP SM. Each boss dopped a random green piece (unmoddable, no set bonus) of gear everyone rolled on, but the final boss also dropped a random piece of gold set bonus gear (which everyone could roll on too). I didn't get any personal loot at all. Green gear should not be dropping from operations bosses. Period. Operation loot desperately needs to reworked to bring up to appropriate endgame standards. Moddable set bonus gear should drop off each boss at the absolute minimum! We should also get some Tech Fragments off of each boss.

You guys are LITERALLY repeating the same mistakes with gearing from the start of 5.0. I do not want to be stuck playing the same character for MONTHS gearing them just like I was in early 5.0. There is way too much RNG. Too much RNG = being stuck playing the same character for months.

And what is the primary source of gear for PvPers meant to be? The Weekly and Dailies? For real? We're literally reliant on supplementary systems to get gear. That RNG vendor? Kai Zykken on weekends? Renown? How pathetic!

If measures could be taken to reduce the 'RNG' from the gear gotten from those RNG boxes we can buy from the vendor, that would be amazing! In my opinion, gear from those RNG boxes should be guaranteed moddable set bonus gear and the item rating should be higher than our current level. Also, please just get rid of green (and even blue) gear from those boxes, period. This would make the boxes more worthwhile and less overwhelming and stressful.

We already have so many set bonuses to collect for each class, why decrease our chances of getting useable gear by wasting space with green and blue unmoddable, non-set bonus gear. The quality should be more appropriate to the time invested in acquiring the tech fragments to buy the boxes. Currently, it takes a fair bit of time to get enough tech fragments to buy a single box (especially via PvP). So make the loot worth the effort!

If you guys are unwilling to improve the quality of gear obtained from the RNG boxes, then you need to significantly increase the number of tech fragments we get from PvP. And/or, reduce the cost of the boxes themselves (maybe even to Phase 1 prices cough cough). Realistically, a combination of both improving RNG box loot quality, increasing tech fragment acquisition and reducing the cost of the RNG boxes would be ideal!

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me, for now, I'm getting sleepy. Really hope the Devs are open to making some significant changes to this system to reduce the ridiculous overreliance on RNG. Let's make gearing enjoyable (or at least a lot more tolerable)!

Devs: we are making operations as a main source of gear, screw you, pvp players

Pvp players: unsubbing and quitting swtor

devs: omg why are you leaving guys? Whats wrong?

Same mistake all over again. Bolster is nothing, it is bugged, not boosting all of the stats as was mentioned before. Pvp players must be able to obtain gear throughout pvp as fast as other types of players. If i won't be able to gear up my ranked characters fast enough iam unsubbing

Devs: we are making operations as a main source of gear, screw you, pvp players

Pvp players: unsubbing and quitting swtor

devs: omg why are you leaving guys? Whats wrong?

Same mistake all over again. Bolster is nothing, it is bugged, not boosting all of the stats as was mentioned before. Pvp players must be able to obtain gear throughout pvp as fast as other types of players. If i won't be able to gear up my ranked characters fast enough iam unsubbing

Same, if they dont care about pvp players and our fast gearing progression they dont want us to play pvp in this game. Time to move along then