Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

Was happy to see 3D Space battles as an option in a developer request for feedback poll. Then I realized a couple of things about what that implied:

1 - If they are just now considering 3d space combat along with other features then they haven't yet started developement nor even nailed down a decision to develope it.

2 - if they are just now asking for feedback regarding features like 3D space combat then they have indeed completely ignored/not read any of the feedback given on the subject to date.

Ignored indeed. It's just PR management.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre launch the officially sanctioned "space combat" poll was heavily biased against space combat and only offered rough 33.3% of positive responses for space combat.

Now, a newer, less biased poll offers 75% positive responses. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=391956

Yeah, BiowEAr doesn't try to manipulate feed back to fit predetermined planned developement or anything...

Pre launch the officially sanctioned "space combat" poll was heavily biased against space combat and only offered rough 33.3% of positive responses for space combat.

Now, a newer, less biased poll offers 75% positive responses. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=391956

Yeah, BiowEAr doesn't try to manipulate feed back to fit predetermined planned developement or anything...

I think it's fair to say, a decent 3D space combat system...... well I can't see how anyone wouldn't be for it.

you'd be surprised by how many "raiders" only value their gear based on how many other players find it unobtainable. Thusly ANY developer resources that go into non raid content/gear = a complete waste to those players.

Unfortunately that is completely true.

you'd be surprised by how many "raiders" only value their gear based on how many other players find it unobtainable. Thusly ANY developer resources that go into non raid content/gear = a complete waste to those players.

Yeah, blinkered is blinkered I guess. When the skinner box is working the subjecxts don't need to look left or right. :(

he says they're still figuring out what they want to do in the future, code for we haven't even started yet.

What exactly needs to be figured out about space combat?

I guess they won´t re-invent the wheel, so some research into "Jump to Lightspeed" and "Battlefront II" could have been done between 2008 and today. :rolleyes:

My guess: They need to figure out what they need to leave out and are making a list of "unnecessary features" like an explorable star system, mining, atmospheric flight.

My prediction: At the end, Space Combat will be a warzone. Loading screen - you jump into a queued instance and shoot some turrets and fighters - loading screen - back on ground.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

This weekend James Ohlen confirmed my supposition that they have nothing to talk about regarding better space combat.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/20065-pax-east-day-3-live-blogs

he says they're still figuring out what they want to do in the future, code for we haven't even started yet.

Yeah reading between the lines (or frankly the lack of lines) I think it's been pretty obvious that whilst they may like to do a proper 3D space combat side to SWTOR, it's basically just vague ideas.

So I guess any vaguely realistic expectation for this would be some sort of expansion in late 2013 (this is, of course, assuming that any idea is ever translated in to reality - which certainly isn't a given).

Which basically means the current space combat for the next 24 months the very at least. :(

Yeah reading between the lines (or frankly the lack of lines) I think it's been pretty obvious that whilst they may like to do a proper 3D space combat side to SWTOR, it's basically just vague ideas.

So I guess any vaguely realistic expectation for this would be some sort of expansion in late 2013 (this is, of course, assuming that any idea is ever translated in to reality - which certainly isn't a given).

Which basically means the current space combat for the next 24 months the very at least. :(

I think you're wrong here. BW has stated over and over they have a 'secret project' for space combat they are currently working on.

That fact added to the poll up now suggests to me that we should see something within the year.

Time will tell.

Well done article. Your precepts and references were good. I am personally for a more expansive and searchable space content. Your point on in reference to the comment on Han and Chewie mining and mat harvesting, IMO, is right on. While I will say that I am biased toward open space content, 8 yr SWG vet here, I feel that open space sectors would make sense in the MMO setting/style. What they have now is not bad...but...IMO...it could grow. Thank you for your post sir.

I think you're wrong here. BW has stated over and over they have a 'secret project' for space combat they are currently working on.

That fact added to the poll up now suggests to me that we should see something within the year.

Time will tell.

I think they'd be mad not to like the idea of more expansive space combat (and I'm sure they do like/love the idea).

I'm just not convinced as to how far along that is from an idea to a realistic concept to actually being developed.

It took SWG a good 12-18 months to get JTSL ready from starting development too release, so unless they've already been working on something, then it would take a while, even if they started full throttle developement tomorrow. :(

I think they'd be mad not to like the idea of more expansive space combat (and I'm sure they do like/love the idea).

I'm just not convinced as to how far along that is from an idea to a realistic concept to actually being developed.

It took SWG a good 12-18 months to get JTSL ready from starting development too release, so unless they've already been working on something, then it would take a while, even if they started full throttle developement tomorrow. :(

Yeah, they did say Big Big plans for space, not the same as big big developement team/budget/priority. Then again, they thought the fail rails were Big Big enough for a major reveal at E3 with accompanying covershoot on PC Gamer...

I just want to see quality 3d flight get into the game as soon as possible. Then add to it like all other content. 3d flight done well is the key. That would allow for guild cap ship battles, pve and pvp content and all the rest as well.

As for an early post talking about problems with the class ships having trouble with customization and such, its simple. Class ships are used for story and you create everything from a snub fighter to a guild cap ship that can be tweaked inside and out. Make the flight system fit the classic 'easy to pick up, difficult to master' style and we have a winner. There should be zero problem doing that. Class ships would be treated just like another feature you spent a lot of time and money on, only to get chucked aside at level cap, companions.

You want a credit sink? I just gave you a blackhole. You want to satify the customizers and collectors? I just gave you many months to years of content depending on how you implement it. And more importantly, once you have the foundation down, I'm guessing adding in new ships would be easy and you'd have content that CAN"T be blown through in a week.

You also just got a sweet new crafting prof that could expand to cover all vehicles for when you add swoop/pod racing and vehicular combat. (Though why not have a seperate prof for the ground stuff. :)) Pvp zones, cap ship raids, guild vs guild cap ship, COME ON! This stuff is awesome and its maybe half of the cool ideas that have been discussed in these threads.

You should want to make all this and more and then you need to get started on a Baldur's Gate mmo with all these hard lessons learned. ;)

I just want to see quality 3d flight get into the game as soon as possible. Then add to it like all other content. 3d flight done well is the key. That would allow for guild cap ship battles, pve and pvp content and all the rest as well.

Yup, it potentially more than doubles the possible content of SWTOR in on go.

I mean I'm certainly not saying they should try to be EvE (or even Elite 4/Freelancer or whatever), but there's so much ground between what is currently in game and stuff like that, and so much potential.

Do it well enough (especially with PvP and PvP Guild content) and they'd have people paying just to play the space content alone.

:eek:

that looks incredibe.. absolutely incredible... top notch 2012 MMOFPS I´d say

The orginal was great, they just priced it out with a full MMORPG sub, rather than some sort of MMOFPS price tag (and a terrible expansion tbf).

But stuff like this could be in this generation of MMORPGs, PS1 was 2003, and a generic Sci-fi/Science Fanstasy based MMORPG would be great, a Star War one would be amazing.

It also does tie in with space flight in so much as with SWG the atmospheric flight and space flight can be made possible (not everywhere though most likely).

These are my ideas

- Free flying in open space.

- GvG/PvP battles. In GvG battles you use your Guild Ship and in PvP you use your own ship.

GvG battles: 1 player is steering while the rest can use cannons, repair broken things to make the ship stay up as long as possible, deploy smaller ships, enter the enemies Guild ship and fight them with your class abillities, set bombs at their ship and more.

PvP battles: 5vs5, 10vs10 battles with your personal ship you got through class quests. Different PvP modes, one will include destroy all enemy ships. Another mode will include bigger ships and objectives to destroy their turrets etc.