July PvP Report

MikeBradley

• Dev Post

Hey All,

In July we caught and punished 25 accounts for win trading, cheating, or exploiting in PvP. We have:

• Suspended the accounts
  • Zeroed out all ranked ratings of every character on those accounts
  • Removed all of their Ranked PvP Reward Tokens

There were 4 accounts that we permanently banned this month for egregious abuse of an exploit.

Actions From Recent Exploit

We recently caught an exploit that could affect ranked ratings in PvP, and with patch 5.10.4 we have fixed the issue. Once it was detected, we were able to look back throughout the season and identify accounts that were using it in any capacity. It’s worth noting that this exploit was not possible in previous seasons. There were not many accounts that had ever used it, but there were clearly a handful abusing it pretty egregiously. Punishments in this case were administered according to the severity of the abuse, up to and including four accounts that have been permanently banned.

As a reminder, if you ever hear about or discover any exploit you should immediately stop using it and report it to us. This can be done through an in game ticket, or if it pertains to PvP, the new email pvpReports@swtor.com.

Season Transitions

For clarity, season 11 will be coming to an end with 6.0. When the end of a season coincides with an expansion, we like take a couple of weeks to wrap up our investigations, distribute rewards, let players get to the new level cap, experiment with the new gear, and prepare for the upcoming season. Given that we’ve received a large amount of PvP-specific feedback from the community this year, we are looking at potentially extending this period of time before beginning season 12 so that we can also try to incorporate some changes and updates to PvP as well. There may be some things that we can change and tweak while a season is underway, but other aspects would ideally be changed between seasons, which is one of the reasons we are trying to extend that period of time in this case. We have also heard your feedback regarding desires for shorter seasons, or at least very clear and consistent season lengths, so please know that is a priority for us and I will have more details on that front in future reports.

As a disclaimer, we won’t have the capacity to implement every change or suggestion that has been put forth, but we are rigorously evaluating all ideas and figuring out what we can do and when. I’m excited to share the specifics with everyone once they are finalized in the coming months. Thanks to everyone who has been using the new email address, and to all who have shared ideas for improvements or offered feedback of any kind.

Until Next Time…

Thank you.

It was very disconcerting when I last played (s7?) and the new season dropped at the same time a new map (rishi) dropped, and the map was bugged to all hell. A similar experience will undoubtedly occur regarding balance with a new xpack. I commend your decision to extend the period between seasons at the start of the xpack to incorporate at least one balance tweak before the new season begins.

Edited by foxmob

Given that we’ve received a large amount of PvP-specific feedback from the community this year, we are looking at potentially extending this period of time before beginning season 12 so that we can also try to incorporate some changes and updates to PvP as well.

Thanks for the update Mike. I hope that the break between seasons isn't overly long, but if it is, I'd expect some very substantial and positive changes. If there's a month long break and then no significant changes, I will be rather annoyed.

Hey All,

In July we caught and punished 25 accounts for win trading, cheating, or exploiting in PvP. We have:

• Suspended the accounts

There were 4 accounts that we permanently banned this month for egregious abuse of an exploit.

We recently caught an exploit that could affect ranked ratings in PvP, and with patch 5.10.4 we have fixed the issue. Once it was detected, we were able to look back throughout the season and identify accounts that were using it in any capacity. It’s worth noting that this exploit was not possible in previous seasons. There were not many accounts that had ever used it, but there were clearly a handful abusing it pretty egregiously. Punishments in this case were administered according to the severity of the abuse, up to and including four accounts that have been permanently banned.

As a reminder, if you ever hear about or discover any exploit you should immediately stop using it and report it to us. This can be done through an in game ticket, or if it pertains to PvP, the new email pvpReports@swtor.com.

Season Transitions

For clarity, season 11 will be coming to an end with 6.0. When the end of a season coincides with an expansion, we like take a couple of weeks to wrap up our investigations, distribute rewards, let players get to the new level cap, experiment with the new gear, and prepare for the upcoming season. Given that we’ve received a large amount of PvP-specific feedback from the community this year, we are looking at potentially extending this period of time before beginning season 12 so that we can also try to incorporate some changes and updates to PvP as well. There may be some things that we can change and tweak while a season is underway, but other aspects would ideally be changed between seasons, which is one of the reasons we are trying to extend that period of time in this case. We have also heard your feedback regarding desires for shorter seasons, or at least very clear and consistent season lengths, so please know that is a priority for us and I will have more details on that front in future reports.

As a disclaimer, we won’t have the capacity to implement every change or suggestion that has been put forth, but we are rigorously evaluating all ideas and figuring out what we can do and when. I’m excited to share the specifics with everyone once they are finalized in the coming months. Thanks to everyone who has been using the new email address, and to all who have shared ideas for improvements or offered feedback of any kind.

Until Next Time…

and yes shorter seasons pls, would be nice

So I've been quite the critic of these monthly wintrader reports since they started because of a lack of harsh punishments, but I have to say I'm really impressed with you guys this time around. Thank you for actually perma banning people. These cheaters and wintraders know exactly what they're doing and they do NOT deserve top 3 rewards. Please keep it up. Please be harsher in your punishments when it comes to cheating. Almost every other top-tier game developer isn't lenient with this and neither should you. Edited by Talon_strikes

Hey All,

• Suspended the accounts

Season Transitions

Until Next Time…

Please sell class titles at the pvp vendor, PLZZZ

Thanks for the update Mike. I hope that the break between seasons isn't overly long, but if it is, I'd expect some very substantial and positive changes. If there's a month long break and then no significant changes, I will be rather annoyed.

to be fair, even if there are no changes, you need that time to make sure the changes aren't necessary. on the other hand, when have they ever not been necessary after an influx of new abilities?

to be fair, even if there are no changes, you need that time to make sure the changes aren't necessary. on the other hand, when have they ever not been necessary after an influx of new abilities?

Well, that's why I specified "overly" long. And by changes, I meant to the structure of ranked itself, not balance. I understand there needs to be a bit of a break between seasons when it coincides with an expansion, but if it's going to be more than a few weeks, there had better be some big, good changes to ranked to justify it.

• Shorter seasons as promised
  • A real matchmaking that is not designed and coded in less than 10 minutes
  • No healer or tank backfill for a dps vice versa
  • Fix dsync since it is getting worse sometimes upto 4-5 sec
  • Remove first 10-20 game high elo gain it makes easier to wintraders gain gold
  • No big elo difference for tanks and healers since good healer vs bad healer or tank games winner is decided before it starts

Hey All,

• Suspended the accounts

Season Transitions

Until Next Time…

Good report Mike 🅱️

Question: will any of these changes and feed back from the pvp community you mention be reg and lowbie/mid pvp or are you just focusing on fixing ranked?

Thank you for the report!

Its interesting to see that the numbers are going up and down and that people still keep at it to manipulate the elo. Its also great that you are retroactively searching on who used an exploit once discovered.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the report!

Its interesting to see that the numbers are going up and down and that people still keep at it to manipulate the elo. Its also great that you are retroactively searching on who used an exploit once discovered.

Keep up the good work!

Yes, it is interesting to see people still can’t help themselves even though they know they are being watched. And I applaud Mike 🅱️ and team for their continued investigations.

Eventually we can hope these cheaters get the message or are being caught enough finally trigger a permanent ban for them.

I really do think this type of report is helping to deter the less initiated cheaters and will eventually weed out the hard core cheats.

A deterrent like this has been needed for years. Keep up the good work 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Yes, it is interesting to see people still can’t help themselves even though they know they are being watched. And I applaud Mike 🅱️ and team for their continued investigations.

Eventually we can hope these cheaters get the message or are being caught enough finally trigger a permanent ban for them.

I really do think this type of report is helping to deter the less initiated cheaters and will eventually weed out the hard core cheats.

A deterrent like this has been needed for years. Keep up the good work 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

To be honest I can already see the moves being made by some of the players to secure top spots. 6.0 is approaching and some classes have really minor elo differences when it comes to top 3 spots. The big battle is yet to come when they annouce tiers for season 11, thats when a lot of wintrading will happen as people will want gold for their toons.

So what more proof do we have to submit to get a player banned who is elo syncing with his friend to get top 3 operative. We have emailed twitch links with live streaming showing it, mailed about how he flames and blatantly throwes on his competition and ppl he dislike. Reported harassments when his in game flaming gets to real life threats and bullying.

All of this has been submitted per mostly email, yet he still remains in game.

What more do we have to do?

To be honest I can already see the moves being made by some of the players to secure top spots. 6.0 is approaching and some classes have really minor elo differences when it comes to top 3 spots. The big battle is yet to come when they annouce tiers for season 11, thats when a lot of wintrading will happen as people will want gold for their toons.

Yup, I just hope they make class titles more accesible than just top 3 players. The flair should be given exclusively to placement but titles should be sold or else people are going to start trading, especially if the top 3 titles are good

So what more proof do we have to submit to get a player banned who is elo syncing with his friend to get top 3 operative. We have emailed twitch links with live streaming showing it, mailed about how he flames and blatantly throwes on his competition and ppl he dislike. Reported harassments when his in game flaming gets to real life threats and bullying.

All of this has been submitted per mostly email, yet he still remains in game.

What more do we have to do?

Only other thing you could try is recording your play and sending them the video file.

I already wonder about the report for August, the traffic is quite high now and people are wintrading very carfully it seems.The issue I see now are the reseted players who keep playing ranked and probably help other players with their elo.

I already wonder about the report for August, the traffic is quite high now and people are wintrading very carfully it seems.The issue I see now are the reseted players who keep playing ranked and probably help other players with their elo.

Well we all know a possible solution to trading, instead of having top 3 rewards. Just add another tier!!