Help with understanding set bonuses

Qinsonel

I have recently reached lvl 70 as a Jedi Counselor and started to get items out the command creates with set bonuses on them. So far I've gotten 4 items and they all have the same set bonus on them, Ultimate Exarch Force-Mystic's …

This doesn't seem to be a set that is of any use to the Jedi Councilor. I don't have any of the skills it mentions in the set bonus.

From everything I've found in the forums, I think I should get a set that is appropriate to the class of character who is opening the command create. Am I missing something here? Why haven't any of the set bonuses been for my class? What set should I be looking for as a Jedi Councilor?

Ultimate Exarch gear is item rating 224 and was part of the end game gear for update 4.0. You couldn't be getting that from command crates which drop 228 green gear at a minimum. Also, the set bonuses didn't change between 4.0 and 5.0.

Consular Sages, which I assume due to the Force-Mystic, have two sets; one for DPS, shared by both specs, and one for healer. Further, the sets are shared with Sith Sorcerer, too, so they will list some abilities you do not have as those are the mirrored abilities. The two sets are:

DPS (Telekinetics and Balance):

(2) Turbulence and Force Serenity or Thundering Blast and Force Leech increase damage dealt by 2% fr 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 seconds.

(4) Reduces cost of Lightning Bolt and Force Lightning or Telekinetic Burst and Telekinetic Throw by 2 and reduces the cooldown of Polarity Shift or Mental Alacrity by 15 seconds.

(6) Increases Recklessness or Force Potency charges by 1.

Turbulence is a Telekinetics (TK) ability. Force Serenity is a Balance ability. Telekinetic Burst is a TK ability. Telekinetic Throw is available to both specs but is primarily used by Balance. Mental Alacrity and Force Potency are both Consular abilities. Thundering Blast, Force Leech, Lightning Bolt, Force Lightning, Polarity Shift, and Recklessness are the Lightning and Madness Sorcerer equivalents.

Healer (Seer):

(2) Activating a healing ability had a 15% chance to grant Force-Mystic's Critical Bonus which causes you next Dark Infusion or Deliverance to be a critical. This effect can only occur once every 30 seconds.

(4) Consuming Darkness or Vindicate restore and additional 5 Force.

(6) Reduces cooldown of Innervate or Healing Trance by 1.5 seconds.

Deliverence, Vindicate, and Healing Trance are all Seer Sage Consular abilities. The others are the Corruption Sorcerer mirror abilities.

The numbers in parentheses are the number of pieces that must be equipped to receive that bonus.

If you do have a set bonus with something different perhaps you could post it here.

Edited by ceryxp

I have recently reached lvl 70 as a Jedi Counselor and started to get items out the command creates with set bonuses on them. So far I've gotten 4 items and they all have the same set bonus on them, Ultimate Exarch Force-Mystic's …

This doesn't seem to be a set that is of any use to the Jedi Councilor. I don't have any of the skills it mentions in the set bonus.

From everything I've found in the forums, I think I should get a set that is appropriate to the class of character who is opening the command create. Am I missing something here? Why haven't any of the set bonuses been for my class? What set should I be looking for as a Jedi Councilor?

Well, first of all Jedi Consular is the class but the set bonus is for your advanced class , so either Sage or Shadow in your case, and your chosen combat proficiency.

Since you are getting Force Mystics items, I'm guessing you're a Sage and your current discipline (combat proficiency) is Seer aka the healer. If you have been playing dps (damage dealer) as a Seer you better change it to one of the other disciplines for Sages, they're both dps.

You can check your combat proficiency pressing K and you can change it either going to the Skill Mentor in the Combat training area on the fleet or buying the legacy perk called field respecialization, which is the most convenient option as you can use it anywhere. (legacy pane>character perks>convenience. The costs is 200k credits)

The Set Bonus for dps Sage is called Force Master and once you are in the correct discipline, the crates will give you that.

FYI the other advanced class of the consular is the Shadow and its set boni are called Stalker (Infiltration and Serenity) and Survivor (Kinetic Damage, the tanking spec)

IIRC Ultimate Exarch Force master is for DPS classes and Force Mystic is for Heal classes.

Force master bonuses run thus:

{2} Turbulence or Force Serenity and Thundering Blast or Force Leech increase damage by 2% for 15 Seconds Cannor Occur more than once every 20 seconds

{4 } Reduces cost of Lightning bolt and Force lightning or Telekenetic Burst and Telekinetic Throw by 2 and reduces the cooldown of Polarity Shift or Mental Alacrity by 15 Seconds

{6 } Increases Recklessness or Force Potency charges by 1

Each bonus runs for both Imperial and Republic Classes, so for instance the {4} bonus lists Lightning bolt and Force lightning (IMPERIAL) and Telekinetic Burst and Telekinetic throw (REPUBLIC)

Since the Sorcerer and Sage are mirror classes.

However: There are two disciplines within the class, 2 DPS ( damage) disciplines and one Heal discipline.

The bonuses you are seeing (above) are for the damage class. - The other is force Mystic set bonus which starts .

{2} Activating a Healing Ability grants Force mystic critical bonus......

This set too is for both Imperial and Republic classes - but for the heal discipline.

You should only be getting the set for your discipline - in fact most of the level 70 vendors hide the set bonus gear for other disciplines unless you choose the 'show all' or other discipline option when you visit them.

Is there a chance that you've got gear from another character ( through legacy gear) or changed discipline recently?

Are you looking at comparative gear sets and getting the one in inventory confused with the one equipped?

Sometimes if you change from one set of gear to another, or swap mods about you need to log out and in for the bonuses to show correctly. - Which is an annoying quirk of the game for some people.

Hope this helps a little. I hope the explanation makes sense, and you find a solution.

GL

Edited by Storm-Cutter

You shouldn’t be getting Ultimate Exarch anything from command crates, because that was the name of the highest level of gear from 4.x. Your stuff should start with “Eternal Command” blah blah blah.

I would think that if you got to level 70 you would know whether you are in the healing discipline (Seer) or one of the two DPS disciplines (Telekinetics and Balance). Command crates cannot be opened unless you have a discipline selected, and if you happen to be a returning player who happened to have never selected an advanced class, you were required to do so upon logging in. I have not experienced any problems getting gear from command crates unrelated to my current discipline in, well, ever, to be frank.

So, OP, what you are describing does not seem to fit with any known facts about how the game works or any known bugs. We need more information and screenshots if we are to help you.

As to the question of why am I getting gear not for me. Have you selected your role for group content? In the Group Content window (the little icon that looks like 3 people next to the mini map) you pick the role you play. If you are a Sage by default it picks both DPS and Healing and you can get drops for either role. If you pick just DPS you will get just DPS gear and if you pick just healing you will get just healing gear.

I personally will pick against my role for solo content to get gear for same class alts in different roles.

As to the question of why am I getting gear not for me. Have you selected your role for group content? In the Group Content window (the little icon that looks like 3 people next to the mini map) you pick the role you play. If you are a Sage by default it picks both DPS and Healing and you can get drops for either role. If you pick just DPS you will get just DPS gear and if you pick just healing you will get just healing gear.

I personally will pick against my role for solo content to get gear for same class alts in different roles.

That's not how that works, and the OP is talking about command crates.

If that isn't how it works you will have to tell my 3 healers that. I got all their healing gear on my madness sorc. The gear that drops from crates is dependent on your selected role not your actual discipline.

Edit: Added for clarity.

It sucks leveling a healer as a healer. Things don't die fast enough or if you do the damage your comp needs to do the healing and neither way is efficient for solo content. Sure it is solo so it doesn't matter how long it takes unless you have a limited time to play each week. Having 1 high level toon that is already geared out that can grind tier 4 gear helps. As a parent of a very young child I only get an hour a day to play now so every efficiency I can find I use.

The only determining factor beyond your advanced class for the command crate rolls is the group content role you identify your self as. This went into place in 4.0 with the dark vs light stuff and it is still in place as part of the command crate system. If you haven't tried it yet do your self a favor and switch your personal role to the role for your class that you are not playing and do a few dailies to get a few command crates. Open them and see what they are dropping gear for. All set gear that drops will be for your choice of discipline not your actual path that you have opted into. If you do the same with both choices the crates will drop gear for either.

Edited by The_Wulff

If that isn't how it works you will have to tell my 3 healers that. I got all their healing gear on my madness sorc. The gear that drops from crates is dependent on your selected role not your actual discipline.

You are mistaken here. The content of the crate is decided by your currently selected discipline, so either dps or healer. Eric explained it here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9177551&postcount=32

Hey folks,

I am seeing some confusion in this thread about how Command Crates determine what gear to give you, so I want to provide some clarity. The spec that is selected via the dropdown in Galactic Command has nothing to do with gear, that only determines what spec you have selected when queueing for content.

When you open a Command Crate the Discipline that you are currently in is what determines what drops from a Crate. Ex: If you are in a tanking Discipline when you open a Crate, tank gear will drop.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

-eric

Your selected role for flashpoint queues is not a determining factor and never has been. The discipline you're in when you open the crate does. You can earn the crate while in Madness but if you open it while in Corruption you'll get healer gear not DPS gear.

Edit: Added for clarity.

It sucks leveling a healer as a healer. Things don't die fast enough or if you do the damage your comp needs to do the healing and neither way is efficient for solo content. Sure it is solo so it doesn't matter how long it takes unless you have a limited time to play each week. Having 1 high level toon that is already geared out that can grind tier 4 gear helps. As a parent of a very young child I only get an hour a day to play now so every efficiency I can find I use.

The only determining factor beyond your advanced class for the command crate rolls is the group content role you identify your self as. This went into place in 4.0 with the dark vs light stuff and it is still in place as part of the command crate system. If you haven't tried it yet do your self a favor and switch your personal role to the role for your class that you are not playing and do a few dailies to get a few command crates. Open them and see what they are dropping gear for. All set gear that drops will be for your choice of discipline not your actual path that you have opted into. If you do the same with both choices the crates will drop gear for either.

I too am the parent of a young child and there is so much incorrect information here.

1. You do not have to assign your role in solo content. You can choose healer in activity finder and stay in a damage dealing discipline while you work on, say, solo planetary heroics or solo daily areas. You don't actually get your heal abilities on your toolbar until you actually change your discipline. Selecting your role in activity finder does not affect that.
  2. choosing a role in activity finder has no effect on what comes out of a command crate. This is easy to test, and it is a fact, and is working as intended, as I just opened command crates this morning. I don't need to provide screenshots, everyone else knows this as fact. If you don't believe me, go ahead and abandon your current discipline and exit out of the window without selecting a new one. Any command crates in your inventory will be darkened and you will be unable to open them until you select a discipline.
  3. Command crates came with Galactic Command, which came with 5.0, not 4.0. So did the Dark vs. Light system of galaxy-wide victory states.

Command crate results once opened (and renown crates when they come in 6.0) are determined by your active discipline. This is why they are darkened in your inventory, and cannot be opened, unless you have a discipline active.