Crowd control and interupts.

Sinadu

There are far too many NPCs with crowd control. Knockdowns, knock backs, interrupts, stuns... this does not make a game fun, annoying is the word to use. Why have channeled abilities if we can not use them? I understand if this was PVP, but PVE? On a normal daily grind?

Agreed I have been interrupted 20 or more times it one 90 second fight. That is way too much. I spent more time stunned, knocked back or held more that I was actually in combat. This is NOT fun, it is more than a little annoying.

That and every NPC is now able to attack you even before they are fully in the game. On top of that you can not defend or attack them.

Agreed.

There is nothing fun or interesting about mobs having CC abilities, and they only serve to pad the length of fights. I can understand bosses having some CC abilities and that can result in interesting fight mechanics, but for mob packs it's mainly just a time waster. It gets especially annoying during the Rakghoul event where you can end up being stunned 3 or 4 times in a row in the Heroic.

On that note PVP mechanics regarding CC should be extended to PVE content. If you eat two stuns in a row from mobs (like those Rakghouls) you should now be whitebarred and immune to further CC for the duration of that whitebar.

Far too many in this game. At this point in the game's life, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Nothing quite like entering combat, get stunned for a few seconds, the stun wears off, you think you're gonna start attacking now, doh, stunned again! :eek: All the while, you're watching your comp do the fighting. I just laugh when I see this happening and go afk, maybe get some coffee and let the comp finish the fight. :D

Edited by Pirana

I'd also like to add this. Why do melee mobs set themselves equidistant from one another? When I gather up a group, what good are conal abilities if the mobs continue to surround me, instead of staying in front?

Agreed.

On that note PVP mechanics regarding CC should be extended to PVE content. If you eat two stuns in a row from mobs (like those Rakghouls) you should now be whitebarred and immune to further CC for the duration of that whitebar.

Hugely agree with this. A rare few of them do, but only a tiny amount, and never enough to get fully whitebarred. I can't think of a ton of examples offhand, but I want to say at least some of the hostile mobs in the corridor/hallway areas in Corelia will give you like a quarter of a resolve bar. The ones that do never seem to be the ones in a clump that chain stun you, though.

I'd also like to add this. Why do melee mobs set themselves equidistant from one another? When I gather up a group, what good are conal abilities if the mobs continue to surround me, instead of staying in front?

This is a giant pet peeve of mine, though it isn't just this game. It's driven me batty in WoW and FFXIV, too. I (VERY grudgingly) head-canon it as "Well, DPS should be behind or flanking the mobs, so obviously this group of NPCs have elected a tank and the others are trying to be good little DPS mobs and not eat the frontal cleaves!" I'd rather they didn't. :/

Far too many in this game. At this point in the game's life, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Nothing quite like entering combat, get stunned for a few seconds, the stun wears off, you think you're gonna start attacking now, doh, stunned again! :eek: All the while, you're watching your comp do the fighting. I just laugh when I see this happening and go afk, maybe get some coffee and let the comp finish the fight. :D

How 'bout... summon monster to kill, attempt to cast (stunned), attempt to cast again (knocked down), attempt to cast again (knocked back 15 meters)... this just from one monster on Onderon. I fail to see the fun in that on a daily mission. Recently, I had a pull that ended up being 3 silver Medics. Good lawd..

Yep. The Rakghoul event Heroic is probably the worst offender in that regard. You can have abilities interrupted 3 or 4 times by stuns if you are getting all the aggro, and are mostly relegated to watching your groupmates clear most of the pack while you eat a couple chain stuns.

Doing nothing in a game is never fun, so not sure why so much CC was ever thought to be a good idea.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

Hugely agree with this. A rare few of them do, but only a tiny amount, and never enough to get fully whitebarred. I can't think of a ton of examples offhand, but I want to say at least some of the hostile mobs in the corridor/hallway areas in Corelia will give you like a quarter of a resolve bar. The ones that do never seem to be the ones in a clump that chain stun you, though.

:/

Interesting! I never really noticed that on Corellia.

Yep. The Rakghoul event Heroic is probably the worst offender in that regard. You can have abilities interrupted 3 or 4 times by stuns if you are getting all the aggro, and are mostly relegated to watching your groupmates clear most of the pack while you eat a couple chain stuns.

Doing nothing in a game is never fun, so not sure why so much CC was ever thought to be a good idea.

That's exactly what I'm thinking while being stunned. :eek: We're here to play the game, but being stunned left and right isn't fun on any level. I have no idea why so many stuns are in this game. I've never played an mmo with so many stuns, push backs, you name it, as this game has. I can understand a boss having these mechanics, but not the average npc's. Apparently someone thought this was good idea... lol

Edited by Pirana

I can understand a boss having these mechanics, but not the average npc's. Apparently someone thought this was good idea... lol

This exactly... Boss mechanics, bring it on.. Daily mission grind, come on, man!!

There are far too many NPCs with crowd control. Knockdowns, knock backs, interrupts, stuns... this does not make a game fun, annoying is the word to use. Why have channeled abilities if we can not use them? I understand if this was PVP, but PVE? On a normal daily grind?

Seems every droid in the game now has these. It doesn’t make the content harder. It just makes it annoying and tedious. And as you say, not fun.

That's exactly what I'm thinking while being stunned. :eek: We're here to play the game, but being stunned left and right isn't fun on any level. I have no idea why so many stuns are this game. I've never played an mmo with so many stuns, push backs, you name it, as this game has. I can understand a boss having these mechanics, but not the average npc's. Apparently someone thought this was good idea... lol

If they feel it’s necessary to have all of these stuns, then they should add the same resolve mechanic we have in pvp, which prevents being chain stunned once you have full resolve.

yes, it can get really annoying and frustrating when it happens over and over and over. Feels kind of like a really laggy game (pause, do something, pause, keep pausing, ok you can do something again, no you are paused again).

As a special bonus, I am currently doing Kotet with my new powertech in the Meteor Brawler set. And, just as I get all the buffs right and my shield is about to explode causing big dps, I get knocked back....95% of the time!! No, I am serious. 95% of the time when fighting silver or gold elite (of which every 3rd fight of the hundreds of fights you have to do in kotet includes one). So, when I could actually use the set bonus dps, it uselessly explodes before I can leap back to elite or boss....9 times out of 10. It is very annoying. Knocked back exactly 1-2 seconds before it explodes...EVERY FREAKING TIME! ...and it is because I am being knocked back every few seconds.

Why were knock backs & stuns etc added to so many mobs? Imagine how fast you'd go through the content without them. That content used to be harder so it would take more time, but now it's dumbed down so they have to do something to make it last more than a few seconds.

At the risk of annoying some people - and with full knowledge that I'm not a particularly great player - I'd still say that this is an "L2P" (Learn to Play) issue. 🤔

And seriously**, I'm not trying to stir things up or troll, I've just never found enemy stuns, interrupts, etc, to be that big of an issue. Some of you may just need to review your skill set and check for skills that avoid interrupts, or remove stuns and movement impairment, etc. (Hunker Down is a great example for Gunslingers.)

** No really, seriously not a troll.

At the risk of annoying some people - and with full knowledge that I'm not a particularly great player - I'd still say that this is an "L2P" (Learn to Play) issue. 🤔

And seriously**, I'm not trying to stir things up or troll, I've just never found enemy stuns, interrupts, etc, to be that big of an issue. Some of you may just need to review your skill set and check for skills that avoid interrupts, or remove stuns and movement impairment, etc. (Hunker Down is a great example for Gunslingers.)

This is far from a learn to play issue.

It's really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things as most npc's melt when attacked, but when you're being stunned left and right and the average class only has two abilities that can negate this sort of repetitive mechanic, it then becomes a lazy development issue. You can also look at PvP, when someone stuns you and you use your interrupt or a similar ability, you'll be stunned again, then you'll watch your health slowly drop to zero and you're back at the repair droid.

This game is inundated with too many stuns, it always has been.

Yeah, no.

There will always be better players, sure, but I know exactly when and how to make use of every player ability in this game and I have the situational awareness and experience to anticipate these mechanics, but there is plenty of content in this game (and not only the newer content, this was always the case) where even if you fully utilize all your abilities, you're still going to get stunned, knocked around and/or interrupted, and on some classes it's decidedly worse than on others.

I hated it when I just started playing, I hate it now. When I'm standing there waiting for a stun to end, or getting pulled, then knocked back, then pulled again, that's not playing, that's waiting on being able to continue playing. I get that some people don't mind it as much, I get that some people don't play the same types of content (as much), and that's fair, but being frustrated by these mechanics has nothing to do with knowing how to play.

To offset: While I do not at all care for combat in ESO, one thing I very much appreciate there is how breaking free is linked to a resource pool instead of a cooldown (the same as pretty much every ability there, but that is beside the point) which means that if I get stunned, I break free and then get stunned again.. I can just break free again, assuming I managed my resources properly. While still not a fan of these mechanics, it eases most of the frustration when able to always play your way through them instead of knowing before the fight starts that you're going to have to eat at least half of it.

Why were knock backs & stuns etc added to so many mobs? Imagine how fast you'd go through the content without them. That content used to be harder so it would take more time, but now it's dumbed down so they have to do something to make it last more than a few seconds.

This is not a new thing that they've suddenly started doing, this was always there, even when content was generally harder.

Edited by cyrusramsey

You must play SW with the Unstoppable ability or JK with Unremitting? I have every class at level 75, some more than once. JK and SW are the only 2 classes I've found with that ability. For instance, Jet Charge on the bounty hunter, I can not count the times I'm stunned during the Jet Charge and end up still 30 meters away due to game glitch. I can not count the times I've charged in, hit an aoe ability only to be pushed back before it hits anything but it still goes onto cooldown. I've played MMOs for the past 15 years or so, since WoW started anyways, and this game on/off since beta so I really don't buy the L2P argument.

To address another argument in this thread which was about going through content too fast. Does that really matter? We're already are scaled down to the level of the planet we're on, so even at 5 levels above mobs it still takes a few seconds to get through. Inserting crowd control mechanics on most pulls isn't making the content fun, it only annoys and generally makes me not want to do it. Make it a challenge in a different way, make them hit harder or whatever but getting banged down and around on every or every other GCD is not a fun time, especially with only one or two ways to break crowd control.