Creepiest Romance? (Spoilers, obviously)

Canareth

I'd observe that for statutory rape cases (which is where the analysis would be necessary), the workload probably wouldn't be so bad, but the issues surrounding the legalistic definition of what that analysis should be would be terrifying. Where the workload would be unmanageable is if they then said that a similar schema should apply to, say, driving licenses and drinking age. I say similar because it couldn't be exactly the same, because driving, drinking, and sex aren't the same, and don't have the same maturity criteria. But even that would lead to oddities - some would have drinking licenses(1) but not driving licenses, and some would have the opposite.

Unless you made it a general certificate of adulthood, a sort of rite of passage. But the legalistic issues surrounding the standards would still be terrifying.

No, in all cases a simple line in the sand is the only sane way of doing it in the modern world.

And I said they were anomalies, didn't I?

I'll admit nailing down the details of the analysis may be challenging, but not impossible and any move in that direction is greatly preferable to the status quo. We don't have "lines in the sand" for everything and it'd be ridiculous if we did. What's also ridiculous is that more interpretation is allowed in murder than something like this. I mean, you kill a guy, you killed the guy, but was he coming at you with a knife at the time? Did he mind screw you into it because he was looking for assisted suicide? Not saying excuses are easy to come by but things can get fuzzy and it is possible to get the benefit of the doubt. Statuory rape though? Doesn't matter if the underager was a sociopath who knew full well what they were doing, you still fry. And even if you don't, you're tainted in the eyes of the public.

The cultural perception of this stuff needs to change first of all. The legal definitions come later. And I'm not too worried. The legal system can do crazy things with analyses and definitions. I'm confident they could nail this.

Also lol at drinking age and "maturity". Driving I'll give you, that's a good alternate example of the age limit discussion. But no fresh 19 year olds (Canada) or 21 year olds (US) are mature about drinking, in my experience. Quite the opposite, they've been repressed so long that the first thing they do when they can is get ********d, over and over. What works light-years better is your parents introducing it to you gradually and explaining what's up. A taste at the dinner table every now and then and you grow accustomed to what drinking should be- a qualitative social additive, not bingeing for the entirety of the social interaction because you're making up lost time.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late to the party but WTH...

Mako as male bounty hunter for a couple different reasons I didn't enjoy, the first obviously being... despite her age given in lore she comes across as very young, not just the BT1 feel but also the attitude and lingo she uses, it feels really highschooly at times. Romancing a girl with that mindset just didn't feel comfortable.

Second, for the fact she's so lightside, even when playing an honour code Mando type, and not a money driven ruthless killer, she will still find the majority of your chioces reprehensible.

To the point it actually feels odd when the romance gets put on the table after constantly hating who you are for so long. You'd think she'd want nothing to do with your character. Again, felt wrong.

Edited by goodnamebro

Second, for the fact she's so lightside, even when playing an honour code Mando type, and not a money driven ruthless killer, she will still find the majority of your chioces reprehensible.

To the point it actually feels odd when the romance gets put on the table after constantly hating who you are for so long. You'd think she'd want nothing to do with your character. Again, felt wrong.

What can I say, she likes the bad boys. :eek:

I'll admit nailing down the details of the analysis may be challenging, but not impossible and any move in that direction is greatly preferable to the status quo. We don't have "lines in the sand" for everything and it'd be ridiculous if we did. What's also ridiculous is that more interpretation is allowed in murder than something like this. I mean, you kill a guy, you killed the guy, but was he coming at you with a knife at the time? Did he mind screw you into it because he was looking for assisted suicide? Not saying excuses are easy to come by but things can get fuzzy and it is possible to get the benefit of the doubt. Statuory rape though? Doesn't matter if the underager was a sociopath who knew full well what they were doing, you still fry. And even if you don't, you're tainted in the eyes of the public.

I'm going to stray into politics a little and observe that the modern tendency to conflate sex involving late teens and sex involving, say, four-year-olds (actual true paedophilia) and treat them as if they are morally equivalent is probably the most imporant contributor to that taint.

The cultural perception of this stuff needs to change first of all. The legal definitions come later. And I'm not too worried. The legal system can do crazy things with analyses and definitions. I'm confident they could nail this.

Also lol at drinking age and "maturity". Driving I'll give you, that's a good alternate example of the age limit discussion. But no fresh 19 year olds (Canada) or 21 year olds (US) are mature about drinking, in my experience. Quite the opposite, they've been repressed so long that the first thing they do when they can is get ********d, over and over. What works light-years better is your parents introducing it to you gradually and explaining what's up. A taste at the dinner table every now and then and you grow accustomed to what drinking should be- a qualitative social additive, not bingeing for the entirety of the social interaction because you're making up lost time.

Agreed. That's actually what my parents did for me. When they had wine at dinner, they'd give me (once I reached about 8 or 9, I guess) a glass, but watered about 50%.