Loot rules? need and greed with companions

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more worried about SC/JC rolling on SW/JK gear and vice versa than people rolling on companion gear.

And yes given the amount of time I will spend with a companion in this game if my companion needs it and no one else is rolling need I will roll on it. Nothing like having an undergeared tank companion when your trying to quest against gold elites.

'Need for companion' as a loot option becomes progressively less and less viable as we level up. Once we have all our companions we can argue to any group that one of our companions need any gear (since our companions cover all stats and gear options), and as such it just become the next Greed.

It isn't needed, simple as that. Greed covers the option well enough. And if you truly and desperately need said gear for your companion, then ask if you can need on it. Just Needing after everyone else have passed/greeded is bad form as the others might be Greeding on account of their companions. Thus you just put yourself ahead of them.

Preferably set up rules ahead of runs.

Edited by Ikkeditnavn

My guild is trying to work through this currently as well.

My opinion for my guild:

Need: Will use it.

Greed: PRIMARY companion will use it.

Pass: Everything else.

With PUGs it will probably end up being need to use it, greed on everything else.

This is a touchy subject for a lot of people. Some believe that other players in the group should be priority over someone's companions, while others believe that if a companion can use it, they have a right to need on it.

Personally, I'm going to see how others start rolling and do the same. If people start rolling for companions, then I'll do the same for that group.

raid gear is droped for everyone per boss so that solves taht issue :/

I made a thread on this issue in the beta forums. The problem isn't just that people will "Need" on loot for their companions. Also with the modding system in place, people will "Need" on loot just for the mods within it! So with five companions each all of different classes and the current moddable gear system, essentially everybody needs everything, lol. This is going to be a ninja nightmare, mark my words. Eventually Bioware will be forced to make better looting mechanics. In the meantime we will all just have to tough it out the best we can. This would be solved if they brought back loot bags from beta, but it doesn't appear as if that's going to happen anytime soon.

I dont think needing for companions should be an option,

Unfortunately the game has no way of telling what you intend to do with the item.

It should be player priority, if its not an upgrade for your player just roll greed.

Agreed. As pointed out previously, when you think about it, later when you have all types of companions using all types of gear, you could say you " need" every single thing that drops.

Not cool.

Edited by Buddydudeguy

I will not need anything for my companion. My companion is only with me when I solo. And, based on my beta experiences, there is no need to need items for the companion. The ones we get from quests, we craft or we buy from vendors are completely sufficient. Not to mention that we may have 5+2 companions altogether which would result in needing on everything if we wanted to gear all them up from flashpoints.

Just my two cents. :)

Edited by vadmacska

if you need it need it...but dont 'need' light armor when ur a tank, unless its an upgrade for your companion, and the stats are correct for your companion :)

Let me understand your position right. You intend to pretty much need on everything in Flashpoints when you get into the 40s? Since your companions cover all the possible gear options, and questing only covers so much of their gearing.

Edited by Ikkeditnavn

In my opinion BioWare should implement a system similar to the one currently in WoW: can't personally use it, can't need on it. Solves the problem really well. It may be a little simplistic, but for now would do.

The approach I would personally like the most would be for a new loot window with three options to appear in the future. The three options would be the ones already proposed: personal need, companion need and greed. It is important to take note however, that the option to need for a companion in and of itself doesn't make much sense. After all, our teams of companions have been designed to encompass the entire spectrum of playstyles, so it could be argued that any player is well within their rights to roll for every little piece of equipment!

The system could work very well however, if players had to designate one companion to serve as their "main" for looting purposes. If a piece armor works for your artificial best buddy, the "Need: Companion" button lights up. That way group memebers would have the ability to put their solo-powerhouses ahead of other people's permanent crew skill grindbots, but would never be able to grab items valuable for actual player characters.

Of course, in an ideal world the entire system would be considered petty and juvenile! Unfortunately, as some posts in this thread show, we've still got some way to go before we get there :).

First and formost is clearly stating it when group is formed - it won't take that long......

I like to when grouped with people i don't know is need roll on everything and tell them to as well... everyone needs credits, and there is an AH. you can always ask for an item and or swap with group members.

if it is my friends its need only if you are going to use it, mains first. meaning you may be playing an alt but we know your main. if they need something that your alt can not use I trust you as my friend to need roll on it properly, everything else is greed roll. However with my guild and friends I will almost always give them things before placing on the AH so that shows my thoughts on the need greed thing.

everyone needs credits, and there is an AH.

I really can't stand arse hats that need on crafting items cuz they " need it".

I don't care what your profession is, if you're going to need on crafting items, then I will need roll cuz I "need" the credits I can get putting it on the AH.

If it's not an upgrade for your character, it is a greed.

Some people...

Edited by Buddydudeguy

'Need for companion' as a loot option becomes progressively less and less viable as we level up. Once we have all our companions we can argue to any group that one of our companions need any gear (since our companions cover all stats and gear options), and as such it just become the next Greed.

It isn't needed, simple as that. Greed covers the option well enough. And if you truly and desperately need said gear for your companion, then ask if you can need on it. Just Needing after everyone else have passed/greeded is bad form as the others might be Greeding on account of their companions. Thus you just put yourself ahead of them.

Preferably set up rules ahead of runs.

This.

Character is the only one for Need, and then only if you can equip it. Using it for crafting is greed.

Greed is for companion, or ask the group to pass or if they have already done the quick click to clear the window, ask them to trade it to you. Most of the class quests also have specific companion loot that drops as end rewards.

Just consider the companion as an extension of your own character. If your companion needs it then you need it.

Heck NO! If you need it then Need, if your companion needs it then Greed.

With people getting 5 companions EVERYTHING could be claimed Need.

It's definitely going to spark heavy debate on all sides. If you group within a guild, I cannot imagine it will be an issue. PUGs are a different story altogether.

I say the best way to handle it would be to have the loot rules set and agreed upon before ever pulling the first mob in PUGs. This won't eliminate ninja looting altogether, but it wouldn't hurt as some people are simply going to be confused by having a companion. Some think of it as an extension of their own character and will argue that the companion gear is just as important in that respect.

I really don't believe that adding a companion need button would change anything. For all intents and purposes, it's just a duplicate greed button and not necessary. Yes, it would be considered a tier above greed rolls; however, that really just eliminates the usefulness of the greed button. One could make an argument that every piece of gear is an upgrade for their companion(s), and he/she wouldn't be wrong for doing so. Every class gets a companion(s) for each type; healer, tank, and DPS. I feel that greed would become an obsolete button, replaced by the companion need button.

One thing I am unclear on since I haven't been able to play yet is whether or not BioWare implemented loot that is restricted to class. For example, can Bounty Hunters still roll on lightsabers? I'd rather BioWare implement a system that restricts classes from rolling need on gear they can't personally equip, before worrying any further about companion loot. I think if classes can't roll need on gear outside of their own use, it will eliminate a ton of debate of the need/greed rules of companion loot.

Edited by lucasomega
Fixed some typographical errors.

Our guild has a rule that a primary toon comes before anything else (companion or alt). If you have a companion that would benefit, you can "need" it but only if nobody else in the group needs it for their primary. The logic being how would you feel if you needed it for your primary, but someone else only needs it for their companion and won the "need" roll? Might be kinda irked, no?

It will lead to a mess, people are self centered, getting some piece for their companion will be infinitely more important to some than allowing another player even a massive upgrade. If you've played WoW you've seen this behavior before, although in WoW it was more MS vs OS or occasionally alts vs mains in raiding. Still this will lead to a mess, your companion is for your luxury and to ease solo game play, still people will obsess about getting theirs the best gear possible regardless of the fact they're stealing it from someone who would immediately equip it.

Taking gear from a player for an NPC isn't right.

If your creating a group to run anything best is just to set loot rules from the start before the first boss and if someone breaks that groups rules remove them from group.

All loot until operations is gonna be fairly useless anyways so if anyone wants to gear there companions over a player right now its better to get them off your friends list early