The class balance is finally beginning to grate on me.

Zarthorn

Right now its 16:40 and I've just logged out after about 30mins ingame, I have a 50 Guardian and a 50 Scoundrel I feel no urge to play a 24 Commando I could level up but don't feel like it right now and a 15 Sage that I'm probably going to delete because I hate them.

Is it boredom, perhaps burnout that has led me to just halt playing so suddenly? No it's class balance!

Every WZ consists of the same thing, multiple sages/sorcs and mutliple bh/commandos with the occassional train of surge stacked marauders (now some of the imps have realised that running them in a zerg train cannot be defended against they are rolling them by the dozens).

Is this a rant that I can't win WZ's? Nope I still win my fair share of WZ's since I play for my team, but I'm sick and tired of having to work for every single yard when there are so many players using faceroll team setups and classes because Bioware listened to some guy from a game that was well known for it's balance issues.

I never cheated my way to BM like some of them either, I'm almost rank 50 with my Guardian and rank 40 with my Scoundrel, I worked for them the hard way.

Now I have reached a crossroads and have 5 choices.

1. I can either continue playing and become bitter towards Bioware becoming disenfranchised and probably never playing another Bioware product as long as I live (I've already sworn of Activision products until that idiot Bobby Koddick is no longer there CEO and wrecking every single flagship title they have and I wont play SoE products because they have no clue how to balance anything)

2. Or I can take time out, play something else and wait out the fixes checking back each week/month to see how the progression goes..But with this I run the risk of becoming disinterested with the game and probably moving on elsewhere.

3. I could possibly stick with it and just PvE until PvP balance is fixed, but as a PvP junkie this will only hurt me and I cannot swear off queueing for WZ's when I know it's easy to do.

4. I could also become part of the problem, but you know something...Empire does not appeal to me at all, I don't want to run around chucking lightning bolts in every which direction and shouting l2p at anyone I may happen to stunlock to death with one of the other population of probably over a few hundred thousand sorcs there are.

5. Or I could just leave all together, write off SWTOR as a bad experience with a less than adult community (for what I seem to gather from a lot of the posts) and look forward to GW2 or TSW, and oddly enough, right now at this moment in time....this choice appeals to me most.

========================================================

I have been through all the balancing nightmares and hiccups of many games before SWTOR, I have seen the for and against arguments more times than I care to remember and I'm now getting to a point after looking over the patch notes and thoughts of belief...

"Bioware doesn't know where to start balancing do they?"

I have been a Bioware fan for some time, I absolutely love Mass Effect, KOTOR and DA 1 & even 2 but I really feel Bioware are so far out of there comfort zone they are struggling to stay with there heads above the water on this one and are now doing the age old stubborn solution of...

"Maybe if you ignore it long enough it'll go away"

Here is the thing, to any Bioware rep, dev or whatever that might stumble across this post and think "just another QQ thread in the pvp forum", the problem isn't going to go away, but your playerbase will!

Not now, maybe not in a few months, but slowly and surely more players will get to the stage that I have, sick and tired of the lack of balance between classes and feeling like if they are not part of the problem they cannot compete as well that they will simply quit and not come back.

You are making all the same mistakes that Funcom made with AoC

You are making all the same mistakes that Mythic did with WAR

You are making all the same initial mistakes that Trion did with Rift

Those 3 games are not bad games now, but they are forever blemeshed because:

- They didn't listen

- They didn't react

- They took too long to address serious balancing issues

- They made the same mistakes again (WAR with the release of the Choppa AoC with the expansion)

Getting industry awards is all well and good, but what good are they when you are trying to nurse an ailing database of which can only get worse because you didn't stop the rot in time...

This is not a feel sorry for me post, nor is it a doom post, should I choose to leave SWTOR will do just fine without me and will continue on (this is not to say I'm going to, just that the choice to do so is very appealing right now).

But wake up and smell the coffee fanboi's and trolls alike...SWTOR cannot continue to run like this, the PvP balance and issues have to be addressed or the game will be doomed to "niche" status which isn't good for any triple A rated title to ever be especially when Lucas already had to cope with one failure title under the Star Wars brand.

And Bioware, you really really need to start communicating better than you are...an entire weekend with not so much as a peep from any of you? If you truly loved the product as you claim you do, you would be keeping a constant communication line open during the weekend.

We respect that you have families, but remember this is your livelihood and you should be doing everything you possibly can to ensure it's success!

Thanks for reading those that did and nope no TL DR because litteracy needs a buff! =p

Right now its 16:40 and I've just logged out after about 30mins ingame, I have a 50 Guardian and a 50 Scoundrel I feel no urge to play a 24 Commando I could level up but don't feel like it right now and a 15 Sage that I'm probably going to delete because I hate them.

Is it boredom, perhaps burnout that has led me to just halt playing so suddenly? No it's class balance!

Every WZ consists of the same thing, multiple sages/sorcs and mutliple bh/commandos with the occassional train of surge stacked marauders (now some of the imps have realised that running them in a zerg train cannot be defended against they are rolling them by the dozens).

Is this a rant that I can't win WZ's? Nope I still win my fair share of WZ's since I play for my team, but I'm sick and tired of having to work for every single yard when there are so many players using faceroll team setups and classes because Bioware listened to some guy from a game that was well known for it's balance issues.

I never cheated my way to BM like some of them either, I'm almost rank 50 with my Guardian and rank 40 with my Scoundrel, I worked for them the hard way.

1. I can either continue playing and become bitter towards Bioware becoming disenfranchised and probably never playing another Bioware product as long as I live (I've already sworn of Activision products until that idiot Bobby Koddick is no longer there CEO and wrecking every single flagship title they have and I wont play SoE products because they have no clue how to balance anything)

2. Or I can take time out, play something else and wait out the fixes checking back each week/month to see how the progression goes..But with this I run the risk of becoming disinterested with the game and probably moving on elsewhere.

3. I could possibly stick with it and just PvE until PvP balance is fixed, but as a PvP junkie this will only hurt me and I cannot swear off queueing for WZ's when I know it's easy to do.

4. I could also become part of the problem, but you know something...Empire does not appeal to me at all, I don't want to run around chucking lightning bolts in every which direction and shouting l2p at anyone I may happen to stunlock to death with one of the other population of probably over a few hundred thousand sorcs there are.

5. Or I could just leave all together, write off SWTOR as a bad experience with a less than adult community (for what I seem to gather from a lot of the posts) and look forward to GW2 or TSW, and oddly enough, right now at this moment in time....this choice appeals to me most.

I have been through all the balancing nightmares and hiccups of many games before SWTOR, I have seen the for and against arguments more times than I care to remember and I'm now getting to a point after looking over the patch notes and thoughts of belief...

I have been a Bioware fan for some time, I absolutely love Mass Effect, KOTOR and DA 1 & even 2 but I really feel Bioware are so far out of there comfort zone they are struggling to stay with there heads above the water on this one and are now doing the age old stubborn solution of...

Here is the thing, to any Bioware rep, dev or whatever that might stumble across this post and think "just another QQ thread in the pvp forum", the problem isn't going to go away, but your playerbase will!

Not now, maybe not in a few months, but slowly and surely more players will get to the stage that I have, sick and tired of the lack of balance between classes and feeling like if they are not part of the problem they cannot compete as well that they will simply quit and not come back.

- They didn't listen

- They didn't react

- They made the same mistakes again (WAR with the release of the Choppa AoC with the expansion)

Getting industry awards is all well and good, but what good are they when you are trying to nurse an ailing database of which can only get worse because you didn't stop the rot in time...

This is not a feel sorry for me post, nor is it a doom post, should I choose to leave SWTOR will do just fine without me and will continue on (this is not to say I'm going to, just that the choice to do so is very appealing right now).

But wake up and smell the coffee fanboi's and trolls alike...SWTOR cannot continue to run like this, the PvP balance and issues have to be addressed or the game will be doomed to "niche" status which isn't good for any triple A rated title to ever be especially when Lucas already had to cope with one failure title under the Star Wars brand.

And Bioware, you really really need to start communicating better than you are...an entire weekend with not so much as a peep from any of you? If you truly loved the product as you claim you do, you would be keeping a constant communication line open during the weekend.

We respect that you have families, but remember this is your livelihood and you should be doing everything you possibly can to ensure it's success!

Thanks for reading those that did and nope no TL DR because litteracy needs a buff! =p

I couldn't read your whole post. Your generalization of all imperial players being immature killed the whole thread.

I think you should just quit. Bye bye now.

Edit: just caught the last line of the post... "litteracy needs a buff!"... HILARIOUS! Hhahahahah

Edited by Azzlum

I have a 50 Guardian and a 50 Scoundrel I feel no urge to play a 24 Commando I could level up but don't feel like it right now and a 15 Sage that I'm probably going to delete because I hate them.

3 months and you're onto your 4th alt?

Play the game less, and you might enjoy your time on it more.

Looks to me someone rolled a fotm class that got brought down to earth, and a tank class that they do not understand. Both of those classes do extremely well.

You should take a few moments to watch some videos, and brush up on your game. I know that both classes are moderately fear intensive. I looks to me like you split your time too much. Personally I would gear the guardian. They have a high skill cap, but you can do well.

I am not trying to be mean, but balance threads like this are not needed. Guardians have several niches they can fall into, and plenty of utility for team play.

I know you are a casual alt leveler, and that is the problem. Casual people will always have it rough.

Edited by NJoyTheSilence

I couldn't read your whole post. Your generalization of all imperial players being immature killed the whole thread.

I think you should just quit. Bye bye now.

Edit: just caught the last line of the post... "litteracy needs a buff!"... HILARIOUS! Hhahahahah

I know, this puts it right up there as one of the all time SWTOR posts!

Sounds like a good bumper sticker campaign!

I know, this puts it right up there as one of the all time SWTOR posts!

Sounds like a good bumper sticker campaign!

^^ this ^^

Class balance is surprisingly good. Some classes are easier (Tracer Missile/Grav Round spam) than others, but overall there isn't any class that I could say "That's an easy kill." or "Those always beat me."

We respect that you have families, but remember this is your livelihood and you should be doing everything you possibly can to ensure it's success![/Quote]

This was the only part of your post that bothered me. Not to say i agreed with the rest, but this was all I saw that was utterly false.

Bioware has proven to us these guys don't need to succeed to get paid. Our lead pvp designer nearly single handedly ruined another mmo. Here he is though, working another huge project right into the ground.

Hiring Gabe to handle the pvp in this game is akin to hiring George Bush to write speeches.

The level 50 bracket is sucking hardcore because all the FOTM sage/sorcs finally reached 50 and are littering the 50 bracket. To the point that I'm completely done with 50 pvp, no more for a long time, there are many reasons why people enjoy 10-49 pvp more than 50. Trying to kill a sage or sorc in the 50 bracket is an absolute waste of time.

It's like back in vanilla WoW, there were alot of hybrid druids in premades and Blizz fixed it by moving boxes around in the talent tree (same for shaman after TBC), granted the druid hybrids weren't even close to being as bad as sage/sorc hybrids... I hope to god BW are looking at hybrid sage/sorc builds.

For now I'm not touching my level 50 considering pvp, this may even compromise my future subscription. And no I'm not an MMO hopper that just bought this game as a filler until D3 or GW2 comes out, I LIKE Star Wars.

Edited by Sookster

The level 50 bracket is sucking hardcore because all the FOTM sage/sorcs finally reached 50 and are littering the 50 bracket. To the point that I'm completely done with 50 pvp, no more for a long time, there are many reasons why people enjoy 10-49 pvp more than 50. Trying to kill a sage or sorc in the 50 bracket is an absolute waste of time.

It's like back in vanilla WoW, there were alot of hybrid druids in premades and Blizz fixed it by moving boxes around in the talent tree (same for shaman after TBC), granted the druid hybrids weren't even close to being as bad as sage/sorc hybrids... I hope to god BW are looking at hybrid sage/sorc builds.

For now I'm not touching my level 50 considering pvp, this may even compromise my future subscription. And no I'm not an MMO hopper that just bought this game as a filler until D3 or GW2 comes out, I LIKE Star Wars.

I agree, it's stupid annoying going into a WZ and seeing Sorcs make up more than half of the opposing team, the rest Mercs and 1 Ops/Mara.

Looks to me someone rolled a fotm class that got brought down to earth, and a tank class that they do not understand. Both of those classes do extremely well.

You should take a few moments to watch some videos, and brush up on your game. I know that both classes are moderately fear intensive. I looks to me like you split your time too much. Personally I would gear the guardian. They have a high skill cap, but you can do well.

I am not trying to be mean, but balance threads like this are not needed. Guardians have several niches they can fall into, and plenty of utility for team play.

I know you are a casual alt leveler, and that is the problem. Casual people will always have it rough.

Nah I played the Scoundrel in beta (still do well but just because I do well does not take away from the fact that some classes are generally not balanced) and I really should have noted what I meant by class balance, I also do well for myself on my Guardian but it's well documented that they have a massive amount of gear reliance to succeed and are pretty gimped in 10-49.

By balance I meant the abudancy of CC to some classes (sorc/sage) and lack of CC to others (Sent/mara), the tree layouts that allow certain classes to become hybrid and do it all in one build (sorc/sage & merc/commando) and how bad the Resolve mechanic is (does not make you immune to CC 100% of the time when you have a full resolve bar, does not build quick enough allowing you to be effectively stunlocked to death should your CC breaker be on cooldown)

There is a reason many people have gravitated to Sorc/Sage and Merc/Commando, because they have better risk vs reward potential than other classes and thus are more consistent.

Edited by Zarthorn

I did read it but I'm still unsure what it's about.

Seems like a "game isn't perfect a few months after release!!!!!!!" thread.

I'm not asking for the game to be perfect, if I wanted a perfect game I would not have played AO for the best part of 5 years or DaoC right up until the LoM expansion.

But the fixes do need to come a little quicker than they have been or at least communicated a little better, as imbalanced as Rift was at it's release I'll give them props on the communication and hot issues front, they were really good at this (the problem with Rift was the balance issues were so bad at launch that it took them 6 months to sort them all out and by that point, most of us had gotten fed up and left)

I also wouldn't even be considering looking at TSW giving Funcoms track record of bad launches, but they do take risks and try to "break the mould" with each MMO (AO was the first to use instancing, AoC was the first to incorporate action combat into an MMORPG) sometimes it pays off (AO) sometimes it doesn't (AoC).

I play SWTOR because I like the Star Wars universe, I adored the KOTOR series and I know Bioware are great story tellers and make quality products (I stuck with SWG for 2 years which should be testament enough to how much I like Star Wars, I just couldn't stomach the horrible NGE and SoE's direction)

I guess I have played my fair share of MMO's over the years and SWTOR is one that I really could see myself sticking with, but again...they need to start prioritising balancing and fixes soon because I'm not the only one that is getting disenfranchised with the PvP balance.

If they would just tell us what they are up to and answer more than a single question on PvP in there Q&A instead of talking about subjects everyone already knows about that'd be enough to know where they plan to take things.

I agree, it's stupid annoying going into a WZ and seeing Sorcs make up more than half of the opposing team, the rest Mercs and 1 Ops/Mara.

Its mostly all assassin / sorc with maybe an agent/jedi thrown in.

Esp with frozen shockwater, shadow tanks are out of hand on a player with a pulse.

Its mostly all assassin / sorc with maybe an agent/jedi thrown in.

Esp with frozen shockwater, shadow tanks are out of hand on a player with a pulse.

This is something that stands out to me as a long time MMO player and another part of the chain of events that have gotten me to the stage I'm at.

The frozen shockwater bug should have been emergency patched because of how bad of an exploit it is (Trion would have done it, Blizzard would have done it, heck even Funcom and Mythic-pre absorbtion to EA would have done it).

I could abuse it myself, but I won't because I try to play as fairly as I possibly can, I keep away from exploiting, glitching and generally doing anything to gain an unfair advantage.

One of my friends who made his return to MMO's with SWTOR put this point to me in Teamspeak and I completely and utterly agreed with him.

"PvE could have broken quests, heck I don't even mind being on the underdog side, what I do mind is imbalanced and exploitable PvP, I like my PvP balanced and fair!"

Of course my friend now feels exactly the same way I do, we often queue together in teamspeak with other friends (group of us that started together) and when we come across a WZ filled with players using exploits such a stealth glitching to take capture points/bomb doors without coming out of stealth (without a smuggler/op around so clearly an exploit) using the frozen pureshock water exploit and rolling with mostly sorcs so they can chain stunlock the first person that comes near them to death....We tend to lose interest and either go do something else or log out entirely.

The glitches and exploits in PvP are creating quite a lot of apathy right now, throw in the broken resolve mechanic and balance on top of it...you can understand why players feel the way they do.

I like how he calls rank 40 and 50 valor work. That amuses me. COnsidering i was 50 valor before i even hit level 50. IF thats his idea of "work" in a video game he is mistaken.

I didn't farm in Ilum Zergs nor did I level through PvP exclusively, thus I did my ranks "the hard way"...grinding in level 50 WZ's against a bunch of players that were part of "Ilumgate" and were running around in part or full BM gear.

I like how he calls rank 40 and 50 valor work. That amuses me. COnsidering i was 50 valor before i even hit level 50. IF thats his idea of "work" in a video game he is mistaken.

Lies. You cannot hit a valor rank higher than your level.

To OP: Nvm the fanbois. They don't like to read or think.

I agree with most of your post, especially the lack of communication from BW. I give this 6 months before server mergers, 1 year for f2p, if they don't drastically change their policies.

Edited by Treplos

- They didn't listen

- They didn't react

Hi OP, thank you for taking the time to grace us with your qq. May I please offer an option #6?

6. take 2 mins to search youtube or other sources for a video of a talented Guardian and/or Scoundrel player. You will watch 5-10mins of your class smashing every other class. Of course you will not see the times where they do die.

here is a bonus option too.

7. Stop running to another class looking for an easy win button. It takes time to L2P properly. Refine your spec, your rotation, and your knowledge of other classes..

btw, congrats on completing the guide ....

Lies. You cannot hit a valor rank higher than your level.

To OP: Nvm the fanbois. They don't like to read or think.

I agree with most of your post, especially the lack of communication from BW. I give this 6 months before server mergers, 1 year for f2p, if they don't drastically change their policies.

Sorry, but you can because i have to alts currently valor ranked higher than thier lvl. Carefull throwing the "you lie" around, it might make you look stupid.

Sorry, but you can because i have to alts currently valor ranked higher than thier lvl. Carefull throwing the "you lie" around, it might make you look stupid.

All my characters were locked in valor rank till I got the same level.

Example: On an alt, I got locked at rank 19.99, till I got level 20 and only then was I able to get rank 20. On main -back when- I got locked at rank 49.99, till I got level 50, and only then was I allowed to get rank 50. This is how it was when I used to play at least.

I had also wondered about this when it happened and several people confirmed that you cannot outranked your level. :rolleyes:

Edited by Treplos

Do this option. I'm a level 50 Scoundrel Sawbones who leveled primarily through PvP. I hit Valor 50 at the same time I hit level 50. I actually really enjoyed the PvP in this game. I'm coming across this Sorcerer/Sage thing as well now, though. Honestly, in Voidstar/Alderaan, I could really care less. They're usually pretty easily dispatched and things kind of boil down to whoever has the more coordinated team. I mean, as a Scoundrel that can't cleanse force dots, it's a little annoying when I hit multiple DoT specced Sorcerers in a match, but it's still manageable.

Really, Huttball's the only match that I have problems with. I love the game, but when I can literally go down the list of our ops members, count the number of Sage/Sorcs and Jedi Knights and predict the winner every time based off just those two factors, something's off. I had a match the other day that was 5 Sages, 2 JKs (think they were Guardians), and 1 Powertech. We couldn't really do anything except watch the other team run over, through, and around us the whole match. A JK would pick up the ball then get immediately pulled up to the rafters. If they got knocked down, there was always another Sage to rescue them. With their speed, it also wasn't hard for them to get right back to our goal line after dying, or at least get somewhere that they could pull someone up to. Was kind of obnoxious.

Unfortunately, though, the imbalance is everywhere, even in PvE. I find that I really enjoy running hard modes with a regular group. We've gotten to know each other pretty well and tend to blow through most hard modes in 45 minute to an hour and a half depending on the FP. The imbalance didn't really hit me until our guild ran an operation and reached the Infernal One battle in EV. Life sucks as a Scoundrel Healer or any manner of Melee there. We were running a Sage healer and myself and we eventually had to grab another Sage healer to survive through some of the mechanics. I'd never felt so inadequate as a healer, especially since I can destroy hard mode flashpoints.

It's a good switch, though. Something different to do. I still queue up for my daily PvP quests, but after that, I usually only queue if I'm waiting for an FP group to get together.

I'm also semi-guilty of taking the 'if you can't beat'em, join'em' and I rolled a Sage healer. I'm liking it so far. It's part of my overarching plan of leveling all three healers to 50 so I can just jump over to whoever is more useful/overpowered at the time.

I'll probably still only PvP with my Scoundrel, though, despite her limitations. I'm too invested in her at this point.