Bioware, Marauders need help in PVP

xhaiquan

First, please no "You suck," or "Learn to play your class" posts.

The fact is that marauders are currently underpowred compared to almost every other class. I say this as someone who has played multiple 50 classes and am basing this observation on survivability, offensive and dfensive capabilities of the class.

in PVE they are fine. No problem.

However, in PVP, marauders are, frankly, gimped.

Reason 1: Absolutely no healing ability. Sure, you can use a stimpack. But almost all other classes, even if they are not healing specced, have some sort of internal healing ability that can be used DURING COMBAT

Reason 2: NO CC. Nothing more I can say here except we have no ability to stun/lock/immobilize/push an enemy in PVP; all other classes do.

Reason 3: Management is tougher than any other class. We have more keystrokes we have to monitor and we have to monitor not only rage but also fury.

Reason 4: Damage is too low vs other classes. Other classes, with healing abilities, deal nearly the same DPS as we do. For lack of a healing ability or the ability for CC, our DPS should be increased considerably.

Reason 5: Damage time. Not sure how to phrase this. But on certain attacks like Ravage the damage done to the enemy does not appear until the three second long animation has finished.

Reason 5: Two of our most damaging abilities, Pommel strike and savage kick, DO NOT WORK AT ALL IN PVP. No other class has two of their most powrful abilities restricted to PVE. What is the logic for this

I could think of a few others, but my fingers are tired.

Thank you for reading

(I am posting this here instead of on the class thread because this is the most read forum on the site)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a 50 Marauder, and disagree with some points, see my comments below

My Number one bugbear in pvp is hybrid healer classes are so difficult for me to kill - my gear isn't fantastic as yet (4-5 champ bits) but even so, they're REALLY hard to kill.

I'd love a knockback, but can't justify it enough.

The fact is that marauders are currently underpowred compared to almost every other class. I say this as someone who has played multiple 50 classes and am basing this observation on survivability, offensive and dfensive capabilities of the class.

Reason 1: Absolutely no healing ability. Sure, you can use a stimpack. But almost all other classes, even if they are not healing specced, have some sort of internal healing ability that can be used DURING COMBAT

-- Stims, as you say, and combine one of the forms with the insta-fury ability to allow dots to heal you - it's 'a form of heal', even if rubbish.

Reason 2: NO CC. Nothing more I can say here except we have no ability to stun/lock/immobilize/push an enemy in PVP; all other classes do.

--Force Choke, Roar, the 'damage over 3 seconds' ability (Ravage?), we also have a slow and another point blank damage/chance to stun ability. Granted, we've no push - and i REALLY want a push for huttball. But we just don't have one. Deal with it.

Reason 3: Management is tougher than any other class. We have more keystrokes we have to monitor and we have to monitor not only rage but also fury.

Fury is easy to monitor - character glowing red = full fury

Reason 4: Damage is too low vs other classes. Other classes, with healing abilities, deal nearly the same DPS as we do. For lack of a healing ability or the ability for CC, our DPS should be increased considerably.

--Difficult for me to disagree with this one, tbh - i have serious trouble killing some hybrid healing classes despite hitting for 2-4k per swing

Reason 5: Damage time. Not sure how to phrase this. But on certain attacks like Ravage the damage done to the enemy does not appear until the three second long animation has finished.

--cant comment, completely agree

Reason 5: Two of our most damaging abilities, Pommel strike and savage kick, DO NOT WORK AT ALL IN PVP. No other class has two of their most powrful abilities restricted to PVE. What is the logic for this.

--Pretty sure the kick works - leap to someone then kick. Try it.

Thank you for reading

(I am posting this here instead of on the class thread because this is the most read forum on the site)

Edited by naffets

• 3 weeks later...
You need to respec. I don't even play marauder but I know you can specs so your dots heal you and your group. You can force leap at 0 range for an interrupt and spec so you can spam your interrupt and destroy healers.

yes this would be nice if we did enough dmg also merauders wear medium armor so we are pritty damn squishy even with our def CD's.

also the 2%heal tick does not metigate the amount of dmg we take....translation? its does nothing....

No sorry, Maras/Sents need no help at all.

Get the rest of your gear and learn when to use your defensive CD's, you should have no problem melting people.

My Jugg wishes he had your cd's, all I get is Saber Ward(which you have) and Endure Pain which basically equates to a medpack.

OH FOR THE JOY!

Please buff Mauraders/(Mirror). They could definately use more meltface and with the combination of not touching the Tracer Missile. I feel this could possibly squeeze even MOAR tears out of your BEDAZZELED player base..

**** it.. Go for it..

Edited by Opapanax

Nope.. the game mechanics just aren't built for coordinated group oriented pvp.. and that's fine for casual players. Marauder is an excellent class for 1 v 1... but the primary objective of what a marauder is supposed to do in group pvp is lessened by the current state of resolve.

Theoretically, competitive pvp strategy with group specific roles would state that a marauder would be to put pressure on the healers and casters while maintaining line of sight of their own healers / casters.

With current game mechanics including resolve, that can't happen. When every class has 2 forms of cc and defensive shields, people don't need to peel off others. That's fine for casual ranged gamers, but makes melee a frustrating and less rewarding experience.

Nope.. the game mechanics just aren't built for coordinated group oriented pvp.. and that's fine for casual players. Marauder is an excellent class for 1 v 1... but the primary objective of what a marauder is supposed to do in group pvp is lessened by the current state of resolve.

Theoretically, competitive pvp strategy with group specific roles would state that a marauder would be to put pressure on the healers and casters while maintaining line of sight of their own healers / casters.

With current game mechanics including resolve, that can't happen. When every class has 2 forms of cc and defensive shields, people don't need to peel off others. That's fine for casual ranged gamers, but makes melee a frustrating and less rewarding experience.

Warriors possibly have one of the greatest anit-resolve bar abilites out there... Force leap both bypasses RESOLVE and does NOT generate any ontop of that. All while coming with both a root/snare and ALSO a slow effect, not to mention this doesnt actually stop you to cast those abilities since they come wrapped up in one while you can SMASH face even better..

Edited by Opapanax

I'll refrain from this, but only because you said please.

Last I checked marauders have a dot-based spec that heals based on crits. And you're overstating what other classes can do to heal themselves. An operative isn't going to use his energy/time to cast his heals, he'll just vanish and use his out of combat heal. A merc has a 15% heal over 10 seconds on a 3-minute cd.

It's funny how you mention lack of healing, but forget to mention your 99% dmg reducing cd, and your vanish.

Last I checked you have the baseline ability that is an aoe stun lasting 5 secnds. If that isn't cc then I don't know what is!

I think everyone agrees that marauders have a higher skill curve than any other class. Maybe you should re-roll since you aren't good enough to play one.

The hybrid DPS classes don't use their heals much so your whole argument is null and void. Marauders do a ton of damage. They're my most difficult class to deal with as a healer.

So what? you just stunned the enemy the whole time you were in your ravage, the damage will happen.

Reason 5: Two of our most damaging abilities, Pommel strike and savage kick, DO NOT WORK AT ALL IN PVP. No other class has two of their most powrful abilities restricted to PVE. What is the logic for this

I'm going to assume both those abilities are "pve 45 sec cd" abilities, and yes every other class has them also. They're made for leveling.

I said I wasn't going to call you bad, but you clearly are bad. You think your survival is low despite having force cloak and that 99% dmg reduction, you think your class is "too hard to play," and you think your super OP pve abilities should be usable in pvp.

Marauders are a good class (I am a lvl 50 Marauder/spec anni)

I am almost always #1 in dmg

Most kills

usually in healing I am in the middle of the pack

You have to micro manage a ton(more then any other class in the game) but if you can the class is amazing.

The only thing I would buff for Marauders

1. pls fix medals for pure dps classes, I avg 6 a round now, and I still see tanks and hybrids doing 10+ consistently

2. I would like a 3 second, non channeled stun. I am fine with no knock back

Now according to the patch notes we are getting a buff next patch, well 1 fixed ability that was not working correctly and dots are going to be better now., so there is that.

I'm a Sentinel and many of your original points are wrong. Let's review:

You can spec for the CC breaker to heal you. Does it suck? Yes.

You can also have a heal from Zen using burn effects in Juyo Form. For yourself, is it weak? Yes.

This is simply not true.

Force Stasis: 3 sec channeled stun. That is CC.

Awe: AOE 6 sec mez. This is CC. This is very powerful CC.

Combat spec also can make it such that both Master Strike and Crippling Throw root for 3 seconds. Not strictly CC, but useful nonetheless.

What you are really complaining about is that they have no knockback. It's true. I think they should have Force Push like Guardians do.

Depends on your build whether you care about Centering/Fury. As a Combat spec, I barely use it, occasionally popping Transcendence when I notice it's up. Zen is weak in Ataru form.

Again, not true. Damage is extremely high - if you are allowed to deal it. That's really another issue though.

Now this is completely true. I was utterly appalled that neither of these abilities work in PvP for seemingly no reason at all. Going by the letter of the ability Opportune strike can't be used on enemies higher than Silver, but you can use Pommel strike on Gold starred enemies if they are stunned, so I don't see why you can't use it on other players! It requires another player on your team to set it up anyways as Sentinels have no way of stunning someone in PvP outside of Force Stasis which is channeled.

Do I think Sentinels are underpowered? Not...really. In Huttball? Yes, but that is because Huttball is terribly designed. Do I think they need help? Yes, but not in the ways you are suggesting. I think they need 3 and a half things.

1/2. A way to become immune to CC for a short period. Or, see 1.

1. Roots MUST be affected by Resolve. Resolve is nearly useless for Sentinels because it does nothing to roots, which are a CC to the class. They have no ranged attacks beyond 10m that can be used while rooted, so you are at the mercy of ranged too much and too often thanks to roots.

2. Force Kick needs to be improved to lock out ALL abilities of the same type when it interrupts something (either damage abilities or healing). Interrupts lack any punch whatsoever, classes who are hit simply use something else as if nothing happened. Raise the cooldown to 10s/8s talented if you must.

3. You MUST fix all the $&*#ing ability stutter and animation bugs. I am beyond tired of using Master Strike and having the full 3 second self root animation play out only to have no damage dealt and the ability not used. I am beyond tired of Force Kicking someone to interrupt, seeing their cast bar interrupt, and having their ability go through anyways. (60ms ping my ***!) From seeing videos of other classes in action and by asking others, I believe Sentinels are hardest hit by these problems, and I get issues constantly.

Marauders are a good class (I am a lvl 50 Marauder/spec anni)

I am almost always #1 in dmg

Most kills

usually in healing I am in the middle of the pack

You have to micro manage a ton(more then any other class in the game) but if you can the class is amazing.

The only thing I would buff for Marauders

1. pls fix medals for pure dps classes, I avg 6 a round now, and I still see tanks and hybrids doing 10+ consistently

2. I would like a 3 second, non channeled stun. I am fine with no knock back

Now according to the patch notes we are getting a buff next patch, well 1 fixed ability that was not working correctly and dots are going to be better now., so there is that.

As a Vengeance DPS Jugg I too would like a non channeled 3 sec stun.

I would also like 99% damage reduction, combat vanish and cloak of pain, bleeds that actually deal damage and more self healing.

Greedy class is greedy.

Thank you for reading

You are a complete noob.

Marauders are DEADLY in pvp and the best geared ones / skilled ones can rip thtough anything like no other class can.

They are a far greater threat than operatives were pre-nerf.

If anything, they need a NERF of their too many defensive cooldowns.

Edited by zqsd

IMO, a well played marauder is VERY dangerous in PVP.

You said we have no CC's? We have one cc intimidating roar, which can mezz up to 6 ppl for 6 seconds, also there is force choke...., and we have like 6 roots, if spec'd right, deadly throw roots players, so does force charge, ravage also stops them in their tracks. And crippling slash slows them down if landed as well.

So basically you have 5 or 6 skills that can root(or make the other player not able to move for some time) If that isn't enough to beat someone down and kill them all while keeping them up close and personal, then I don't know what is.

Not to be mean, but you're either not 50 yet with all your skills or just don't know how to play the class.

Edited by Dego_Locc

Warriors possibly have one of the greatest anit-resolve bar abilites out there... Force leap both bypasses RESOLVE and does NOT generate any ontop of that. All while coming with both a root/snare and ALSO a slow effect, not to mention this doesnt actually stop you to cast those abilities since they come wrapped up in one while you can SMASH face even better..

They do, but that isn't the problem. Most people feel that marauders lack of a hard stun cc is what is the problem, but it isn't. The problem is that everyone has cc and defensive shields, it makes melees less rewarding.

This is not a class specific problem, but rather a game mechanic problem. The game has not been balanced around group pvp. When peeling off the healer isn't necessary because he has a knockback and a shield, when range can freecast while being hit, and when kiting is not as valid a strategy as unloading on the target in front of you.. melee frustrations are at a critical.

Resolve is a shortsighted approach at a larger problem, group fighting just isn't encouraged in warzone or open world pvp.

2. Force Kick needs to be improved to lock out ALL abilities of the same type when it interrupts something (either damage abilities or healing). Interrupts lack any punch whatsoever, classes who are hit simply use something else as if nothing happened. Raise the cooldown to 10s/8s talented if you must.

You've apparently never played a healer.

1) We only have 1 or 2 casted heals. If you interrupt our main one it means we're left with our lesser heal or one that's on a cd(or if you're an operative you're left with only instants).

2) Interrupts aren't the only way to keep a healer from casting. Your charge is an interrupt. Your interrupt is an interrupt. Your aoe stun stops us from healing. Every knockback in the game stops healing. Pulls stop healing. Need I go on?

If interrupts stopped the whole school from being cast(like in WoW) healers would be too easy to control. As it is now we aren't hard to control if you're a skilled melee/tank.

You've apparently never played a healer.

1) We only have 1 or 2 casted heals. If you interrupt our main one it means we're left with our lesser heal or one that's on a cd(or if you're an operative you're left with only instants).

2) Interrupts aren't the only way to keep a healer from casting. Your charge is an interrupt. Your interrupt is an interrupt. Your aoe stun stops us from healing. Every knockback in the game stops healing. Pulls stop healing. Need I go on?

If interrupts stopped the whole school from being cast(like in WoW) healers would be too easy to control. As it is now we aren't hard to control if you're a skilled melee/tank.

Every single healer who I kick their large heal just starts spamming their smaller one, or vica versa. Or uses other abilities. They do not care. And it only locks it for 4 seconds anyways, which is 2 ability casts of something else.

Yes, they have lots of "interrupts" but other than Force Leap (which can only be used at point blank range in one spec), you're counting CC as an interrupt which everyone has. When healers can CC you after you interrupt them and just keep healing, did your interrupt really harm them?

And Sorcs are impossible to control. Scoundrels and Mercs? Yeah. Sorcs? Hell no. But that's because Sorcs are overpowered.

I dont see marauders are gimped i think ToR would be a better place if other classes had similar design philosophy (ie not given every single thing in the game)

Imo there needs to be less specs/classes that heal, less knockdowns/knockbacks/less shields etc.

If marauders played in a world that wasn't all classes that have everything they would be one of the better classes and imo even despite that they still are really good with a geared skilled player.

Every single healer who I kick their large heal just starts spamming their smaller one, or vica versa. Or uses other abilities. They do not care. And it only locks it for 4 seconds anyways, which is 2 ability casts of something else.

The sorc has a small, very inefficient heal they can cast if locked out of their big heal. Mercs have a heal on a 9-second cd they can use if locked out of their main heal. Operatives have no casted heals if locked out their main heal. You make it sound like we have 5 casted heals.

Yes, they have lots of "interrupts" but other than Force Leap (which can only be used at point blank range in one spec), you're counting CC as an interrupt which everyone has. When healers can CC you after you interrupt them and just keep healing, did your interrupt really harm them?

You can trinket their big cc. Obviously you would never trinket their stun, but that only lasts 3 seconds anyway, which isn't even enough to get out of charge range.

And Sorcs are impossible to control. Scoundrels and Mercs? Yeah. Sorcs? Hell no. But that's because Sorcs are overpowered.

Having played all 3 healers at level 50 I won't disagree with this statement. Force sprint is obnoxiously overpowered and needs a major nerf. The CD of the aoe knockback also needs to be increased to what the merc's is, if not even a longer cd since sorcs also have sprint. The hybrid sorc specs are also grossly overpowered. A sorc can get every major heal(except the aoe) and get the knockback+roots and the barrier that stuns.