Merc is TERRIBLE

Shredit

heh. I know how to fight'em. just noticing that I take dmg that I theoretically should not.

Oh, and don't forget sentinels do have ranged attacks. For my combat sentinel, my blade storm (range 10m) is one of my biggest hitters. I also have other snares / slows at range as well.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really

http://kraytdragonclan.enjin.com/profile/1704304/pics/detail/album_id/166583#pid=1135234

http://kraytdragonclan.enjin.com/profile/1704304/pics/detail/album_id/166583#pid=1135235

Seems I can solo Jedi Player pretty well one on one when I couldn't before with out the interrupt so whats your reason again?

I don't keep a pocket healer by my side either, I like the challenge of the fight and I enjoy pugging it.

What exactly do you think an interrupt does? The thing does nothing against instant abilities, and for that matter it does nothing against Ravage/Master Strike is uninterruptable. It's not an incapacitate or anything. There could be any number of contributing factors (for example, Focus spec is much squishier than other specs in either knight AC, and everyone and their mother is focus spec). Your screenshots prove less than nothing since they don't even tell us WHO you soloed.

This is the trouble with most people... you want more proof and when you get it you pick the **** out of it. in 1 of those SS im doing 850k DPS, look at the kill/death ratio. i can smash out 400 - 500k DPS with little deaths but its not good enough for you..

Yet not once to do i get a post saying, Great job man you've stuck it out in a tough class with out re-rolling to a PT, Sent's, guardains or what ever. Ive sat there in EVERY war zone on my merc and shown people how to do it. Yet its never good enough for a lot of you people.

If you want more proof from now on come to Dalborra server and ill show you inside a war zone.

Still waiting on that video dude. No, I'm not going to come to your server and level a toon to 50 just to try and pick up tips. You've never even tried to post what you do. Just screenshots. Post a guide yo. Also I've said it before, I'll concede right now that you're an incredible player but that doesn't make the class fine. You'd still be doing way way better on a class with the tools to do it's job properly, and we both know Commando/Merc ain't it.

You want a post patting you on the back for sticking out the PVP game on hard mode? I'll give it to you, along with a slap upside the head for being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn (which fine, whatever, it's your time) and then coming off like there's nothing at all wrong with the class. Are you mental? I'm glad you can stick it out, but in the meantime I would like to play my commando, but PVP is just a never ending teeth grinding hair pulling frustration for me on the class, even when I can seem to eek out good damage for it.

For those who complain about commando.. Do you play any other classes?

If you're dominating on those instead but struggle at commando.... Well, maybe you have a point, or maybe you're just better suited for a different style of play.

If you don't dominate, what's your frame of reference for saying commando is weak?

I would say I'm at least in the top 10% of sentinels on my server. That's me being reasonable humble. I really, really don't agree commando as a class is crippled / weak or whatever. I don't get to win many 1v3s, which I've done regularly on my sentinel in regular wz (against poorly geared guys obviously)... But in terms of damage, kills, objectives, impact on the game.... I think my commando is doing fine.

What exactly do you think an interrupt does? The thing does nothing against instant abilities, and for that matter it does nothing against Ravage/Master Strike is uninterruptable. It's not an incapacitate or anything. There could be any number of contributing factors (for example, Focus spec is much squishier than other specs in either knight AC, and everyone and their mother is focus spec). Your screenshots prove less than nothing since they don't even tell us WHO you soloed.

Still waiting on that video dude. No, I'm not going to come to your server and level a toon to 50 just to try and pick up tips. You've never even tried to post what you do. Just screenshots. Post a guide yo. Also I've said it before, I'll concede right now that you're an incredible player but that doesn't make the class fine. You'd still be doing way way better on a class with the tools to do it's job properly, and we both know Commando/Merc ain't it.

You want a post patting you on the back for sticking out the PVP game on hard mode? I'll give it to you, along with a slap upside the head for being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn (which fine, whatever, it's your time) and then coming off like there's nothing at all wrong with the class. Are you mental? I'm glad you can stick it out, but in the meantime I would like to play my commando, but PVP is just a never ending teeth grinding hair pulling frustration for me on the class, even when I can seem to eek out good damage for it.

It interrupts there abilities that they are trying to use and it works against Charge/Leap/Throw saber or whatever you want to call it and by using Unload it prevents them from running up on me along with all the other utilities I have. Pyro is another great spec with hit run kiting abilities.

Mercs were lacking without a interrupt ability and I have seen a great deal of improvement with the new changes.

The only complaint I have is if only rocket punch maintained the knock back affect with the immobilized effect. Other than this I am happy

What more do you want but I will give you this "Mercs do have a higher learning curve than any other class out there". It truly is a advance class to play in terms of mechanics and situations and I like that. I wouldn't of played it for so long if it was pure easy mode.:cool:

Edited by Asturias

It interrupts there abilities that they are trying to use and it works against Charge/Leap/Throw saber or whatever you want to call it and by using Unload it prevents them from running up on me along with all the other utilities I have. Pyro is another great spec with hit run kiting abilities.

Mercs were lacking without a interrupt ability and I have seen a great deal of improvement with the new changes.

The only complaint I have is if only rocket punch maintained the knock back affect with the immobilized effect. Other than this I am happy

What more do you want but I will give you this "Mercs do have a higher learning curve than any other class out there". It truly is a advance class to play in terms of mechanics and situations and I like that about this class. I wouldn't of played it for so long if it was pure easy mode.:cool:

This guy has no clue how the game works...

And I am too lazy to explain what has already been explained.

For those who complain about commando.. Do you play any other classes?

If you're dominating on those instead but struggle at commando.... Well, maybe you have a point, or maybe you're just better suited for a different style of play.

If you don't dominate, what's your frame of reference for saying commando is weak?

I would say I'm at least in the top 10% of sentinels on my server. That's me being reasonable humble. I really, really don't agree commando as a class is crippled / weak or whatever. I don't get to win many 1v3s, which I've done regularly on my sentinel in regular wz (against poorly geared guys obviously)... But in terms of damage, kills, objectives, impact on the game.... I think my commando is doing fine.

My other 50 is a Shadow that I run in Hybrid spec. I also have a 46 Sentinel and a 31 Sniper. I know lowbie is, in many ways, a different ball game, but figured I'd give full disclosure for my frame of reference. My Sentinel I play in combat spec, and my Sniper is so far in full marksman spec so a stationary ranged turret.

On my shadow my damage is a little less, but my actual contribution I feel is much higher. I am able to solo guard/stall on off nodes, reliably pressure the enemy's off nodes, can win 1v1s reliably against opponents even when they're better geared than I am, and can even win 1v2s against similarly geared opponents. My Shadow is currently in fully augmented battlemaster (well...PVE Stalker with BM mods), and elite war hero weapon. In Hutt Ball I can serve as a carrier, stealth into the endzone for passes or guardian leaps, and I have force pull to pull clutch moves on defense. I tried out Infiltration Spec for a week or so following 1.4 where obviously I lost a good chunk of the utility, and I was pretty squishy and much more limited range, but the damage was higher than what my commando has ever been able to put out on average.

This brings us up against playstyle, except my sniper just absolutely dominates lowbie warzones, and I don't see that becoming significantly worse as I get more tools. I feel like my sniper also has the survivability to at least reasonably stall on an off node, the burst is incredibly sick, and Flash Grenade packs more team utility than all of DPS Commando's utility combined.

In terms of damage at the end of the game my commando seems to put up decent numbers assuming my team didn't just get completely rocked (because a Commando by themselves is a dead commando). I can never force an uneven trade on the the capture the objective maps, cannot reasonably solo guard anything, and can't even THINK of engaging the enemy unless they're all already engaged by others, and that is immensely frustrating. The second I get looked at I fold like a cheap card table unless the player in question is very poor.

I would say that I very rarely ever "dominate" on any of my classes. I am not a good player. But on other classes, including another ranged turret, I feel like I can at least contribute to victory in a meaningful way. On commando I feel like I work ten times harder to produce damage that I'm never actually sure contributed to anything at all, while producing no other meaningful intangible that contributes to victory. My best performance on commando always comes when I'm with a team that was probably going to win with or without me.

What more do you want but I will give you this "Mercs do have a higher learning curve than any other class out there". It truly is a advance class to play in terms of mechanics and situations and I like that. I wouldn't of played it for so long if it was pure easy mode.:cool:

Wow, ok. Yeah you should know that interrupts quite don't work like that. Interrupts do nothing against leaps/charges or instant abilities to my knowledge. They're useful for stopping casted abilities that don't have some sort of attached interrupt immunity like Ravage.

Also high learning curve doesn't mean fun. I prefer to play classes with lots of tools they can use. Commando isn't hard to play because it has so many tools you have to employ. It's hard to play because it has so FEW tools to use, and the most effective tool is "the enemy team is retarded".

Edited by ArchangelLBC

This guy has no clue how the game works...

And I am too lazy to explain what has already been explained.

Disabling Shot

Instant

Cooldown: 12 seconds

Range: 30m

Interrupts the target's current action and prevents that ability from being used for 4 seconds.

So what is it that I don't understand about this ability? It prevents a action from being performed and if leapers are trying to use saber throw or leap which they always do after I Jet Boosted them its seems to be working for me.

Edited by Asturias

Disabling Shot

Instant

Cooldown: 12 seconds

Range: 30m

Interrupts the target's current action and prevents that ability from being used for 4 seconds.

So what is it that I don't understand about this ability? It prevents a action from being performed and if leapers are trying to use saber throw or leap which they always do after I Jet Boosted them its seems to be working for me.

Key word is current, as in the action they are currently trying to perform. There's no debuff which prevents their next action, or anything like it, so you'd have to be landing the interrupt as they leap, if it's even possible, which I'm pretty sure it's not. Make a video and post it, but I'm still pretty sure you're just blowing your interrupt for no good reason, but then the only people we could really use it on are sages, healers, and other mercs/commandos.

Key word is current, as in the action they are currently trying to perform. There's no debuff which prevents their next action, or anything like it, so you'd have to be landing the interrupt as they leap, if it's even possible, which I'm pretty sure it's not. Make a video and post it, but I'm still pretty sure you're just blowing your interrupt for no good reason, but then the only people we could really use it on are sages, healers, and other mercs/commandos.
Well maybe so, so I stand corrected than but I do use this ability religiously in my rotation and every time it is up I fire it off.

I was under the impression that it interrupts current action in meaning that whatever ability they use next it interrupts that ability because it becomes the current action performed and it doesn't make sense when you fire off a disabling shot when there action is already performed.

And I gave you pics from several matches that I was in but I am currently in the making of a video once I get enough footage and I look forward to posting it =)

Edited by Asturias

LOL

5char

I was under the impression that it interrupts current action in meaning that whatever ability they use next it interrupts that ability because it becomes the current action performed and it doesn't make sense when you fire off a disabling shot when there action is already performed.

Yeah, you\re mistaken. It does absolutely nothing against instants, and only interrupts a channeled or cast ability that is being used as you activate it (so if you see someone casting a heal, use it).

As such, it has absolutely no place in a rotation. It is a situational ability to be used to counter something that is happening in realtime. It's as crazy as putting concussive charge into your rotation. Just silly.

So, how's your commando against the top teams in rated WZs? Got any videos?

Edited by Jherad

The new 70% snare on full auto and immobilize on stock strike make gunnery just as good if not better than assault in pvp after assault got nerfed.

People need to get out of this mindset that assault is better no matter what.

right because gunnery is immune to interrupts... oh wait.

So, how's your commando against the top teams in rated WZs? Got any videos?

This is it right here, kids. The be-all, end-all of this thread. I have yet to see anyone post vids of a Merc in ranked matches "doing just fine". Where are all the vids from these keyboard commandos saying how awesome they are?

DPS Merc is great for PvE and for scrub PvP matches against players who don't know what they're doing. Aside from that, the class is severely gimped, and a liability on any competitive team.

Edited by TheronFett

This is it right here, kids. The be-all, end-all of this thread. I have yet to see anyone post vids of a Merc in ranked matches "doing just fine". Where are all the vids from these keyboard commandos saying how awesome they are?

DPS Merc is great for PvE and for scrub PvP matches against players who don't know what they're doing. Aside from that, the class is severely gimped, and a liability on any competitive team.

Typical WZ.

Ok, so there are ideas how to add survivability to the

class like a jetpack escape etc.

Someone mentioned the fact that cover makes those classes that use it uninterruptable and unchargable.

How about adding an ability called "hover" to the mercenary and an appropriate counterpart to the commando.

What it would do is in case of the mercenary:

He would use his jetpack to float in midair for a few gcds and during this time he could not be interrupted or charged. Balancing of this ability could be done by adjusting its cooldown.

Would this be of any help?

Edited by Veyss

Not this debate again... Clearly, obviously and undeniably Mercs/Mandos are NOT fine. Anyone and everyone claiming they are has big fish in small pond syndrome. Either their competition is very bad, or they are very good, and/or perhaps a mix of both. Play a properly viable class and I will guarantee you will perform 10x better as you did with your Merc/Mando, both experience and gear being equal.

Still stubborn and in disbelief? Find an EQUALLY geared and EQUALLY skilled player of the following classes and ask them to duel you: Shadow Jedi/Assassin, Sentinel/Marauder. I can guarantee that they will not only mop the floor with you but dance circles around you. With our recent changes, the remaining classes are "manageable"

in the hands of an extremely competent Merc/Mando. I use the term manageable here very loosely.

As for the Ranked Warzone viability, we have very little if any, one could argue we provide DPS, debuffs and Knockbacks but all of these are vastly overshadowed by a Gunslinger/Sniper; which also happen to not have the gross and preposterously obvious vulnerabilities we Mandos/Mercs have. I stuck with my Commando for a long time and played it at the highest levels of competition this game can allow, solo, grouped and even Ranked play, although my team supported me and commended my efforts as I managed to excel despite the dysfunctional state of the class, it was undeniable that I had reached the skill cap of the class and it's potential at it's cap falls vastly short of end game PvP viable. I reluctantly re-rolled shortly after, both my team and I were astounded at the difference as I completely out performed and overshadowed anything I did and could have done on my Commando on my newly fond FOTM abominations: Powertech and Sentinel. I am in the midst of leveling a Shadow Jedi and can say it will soon join the pack and leave my former main and love, Commando, sleeping in the dust.

Unfortunately we Mercs/Mandos just don't have the tools to be Ranked/End Game PvP viable at the moment. Our DPS as Gunnery is great but we are vulnerable and extremely easy to shut down, thus it drops to negligible numbers. Our mobility as Assault is unparalleled but our kiting ability was butchered and DPS remains tame, no where near fearsome, these two coupled together in a Ranked Match equate to a bee without a stinger, or a dog humping your leg, annoying but not deadly.

Lastly FOTM is not the answer, re-rolling is not an acceptable solution to a broken class problem. Although I succumbed to it's gross necessity, I will not continue to do so again, if it continues I will soon quit and find a game with semblance of balance. I am sure I am not the only one.

I'd like to hear an official response from BioWare on their design "vision" for Mercs in PvP.

Grouping in PvE is one thing, when Mercs have a tank who can hold aggro and keep targets at range. But when you look at the viability of other RDPS classes (Sorc/Sniper) in PvP, Mercs simply have no place. Both Sorc and Sniper have a variety of tools to keep targets at bay and/or escape from melee. All a Merc can do is delay the inevitable for a few more seconds.

The best suggestion I've seen to address the problem is a Jet Pack ability. Something that stuns, roots, or knocks down an enemy (possibly an AoE) and launches the Merc 30m away. It would be even better if Jet Pack had a controllable landing zone for the Merc, where he could select which direction to go.

Edited by TheronFett

If you think merc is fine, you should play it on equal footing, as well as nearly any other class. It is not fine. It's not horrible, but it is kind of boring and certainly falls short compared to the other classes I have played. It's painfully obvious when I think about it and go back and play my other toons after learning what I have to do just to be serviceable as a merc.