Hood On/Off Toggle?

Morniel

The Devs can make many of us happy in the mean time if they would perform the simple and painless task of putting hood down versions of the hood up armors we currently have in the game.

We know they exist because we see them in all of the game's marketing.

Don't want to do a toggle, fine! Just put in the hood down options. So easy.

Could we please get a current response on this, Devs?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the orange hood-down pieces and other things that NPC are using: there is a thread in the Suggestion Box. They "might" work on it but they don't promise anything. -_- That, pretty much, was their answer to that thread.

I just want the plain black belt, plain black boots, plain black shirt and gloves like Luke wore when facing the Emperor... that was and still is an awesome look.

Regarding the orange hood-down pieces and other things that NPC are using: there is a thread in the Suggestion Box. They "might" work on it but they don't promise anything. -_- That, pretty much, was their answer to that thread.

Then I guess I 'might" play their game again.

The upside is if they do this one simple thing, I will play this game for hours a day. I gotta admit even after all this frustration, if they gave me the hood down armor they show everyone in the video, I'd be right back into this game like I used to be.

!@#$%^^&!

Really?! It's something you want to do since December. Something you promised to do for the next large patch after 1.2.

Something they want to do? T_T 1.4.5 or I am honestly cancelling the moment it goes f2p!

You guys confirmed that this is/was being worked on. You surely must've something done at this stage and there is no need for starting from scratch.

Wow you guys would seriously quit over hoods? If anything you all should be upset that subscribers aren't offered a server for subscribers only to transfer to when things go F2P. But no, it's all about hoods.

Yes because that is anything on the same order of magnitude as simply enabling an already existing toggle as a user option.

This is ridiculous... the client can already show or hide a hood based on many factors including race of the character and headpiece worn. It can NOT be hard to add a checkbox to the options screen, and put that in the array with the other factors that ALREADY exist in the code.

Yes because that is anything on the same order of magnitude as simply enabling an already existing toggle as a user option.

This is ridiculous... the client can already show or hide a hood based on many factors including race of the character and headpiece worn. It can NOT be hard to add a checkbox to the options screen, and put that in the array with the other factors that ALREADY exist in the code.

You're talking about fashion though, not a matter of game mechanics that effects balance or connectivity to the game etc... you're talking vanity. That's my only point. I'm quite sure there are enough other game breaking fixes on their to do list that take priority over hoods on vs off, and in my view, content, more content is always better than something as surface level as hood on/off.

I do however see the problem from a different view, no matter what it was, if it was something that the devs promised would have happened by now, they should follow through with it, it's not a matter of the hoods anymore but rather of customer service. At least explain WHY they haven't implemented the change they promised, if there were good reason they can't do it, I'd accept that, but to allow a thread like this go on and on without response in my mind is leaving the players reason to be upset.... "the issue proved to be more complicated than initially thought... we had other higher priority fixes to deal with... loss of manpower has caused us to reprioritize." something right?

Like I said, I really don't have a dog in this fight, hood on / off, minor, not game breaking, not a big deal, but if it was promised it should be delivered on, or at least have a reasonable response to the wave of protest over this.

You're talking about fashion though, not a matter of game mechanics that effects balance or connectivity to the game etc... you're talking vanity. That's my only point. I'm quite sure there are enough other game breaking fixes on their to do list that take priority over hoods on vs off, and in my view, content, more content is always better than something as surface level as hood on/off.

In MMOs different teams work on different parts of the game. So the art team working on a hood toggle doesn't means any less content. The same applies to the game breaking fixes which are patched and fixed.

At present I can only think a few game breaking bugs and their mainly do with warzones.

I do however see the problem from a different view, no matter what it was, if it was something that the devs promised would have happened by now, they should follow through with it, it's not a matter of the hoods anymore but rather of customer service. At least explain WHY they haven't implemented the change they promised, if there were good reason they can't do it, I'd accept that, but to allow a thread like this go on and on without response in my mind is leaving the players reason to be upset.... "the issue proved to be more complicated than initially thought... we had other higher priority fixes to deal with... loss of manpower has caused us to reprioritize." something right?

Like I said, I really don't have a dog in this fight, hood on / off, minor, not game breaking, not a big deal, but if it was promised it should be delivered on, or at least have a reasonable response to the wave of protest over this.

The hood toggle issue is made worse by the fact that for last 9 months Bioware have used marketing images of Jedi Battlelord with the hood down and there is promo video of a Jedi with same armor and the hood is down.

The art models are in game, the assets there to used and some 8 months after release they still have not released and there has been very little dev comments on why.

There is no reason why we can't at least have hood down variations on existing robes.

Big butt thing never bothered me much but they fixed it... Permanent hoods on the robes really bothers many Force user-class players. It bothes me when I see so many Jedi wearing awful combinations of robes and heavy trooper helmets and so on. They don't like having hoods on at all times. Lack of hood toggle leads many Jedi to wear Smuggler/Trooper armor pieces so they can see their heads! I don't really like it as a Star Wars fan. I want to see Jedi wearing their robes with some light armor on to allow them for agile combat. In this game they are wearing oversized and heavy-looking trooper armor so their heads won't be covered with hood all times.

Also think about rp servers. Lack of hood toggle is a great deal for rpers. But worst of all it just destroys the immersion for a player that wants to "be a Jedi" and escape the real world for a bit.

I logged in today and went to hop on my speeder and found myself standing in the same position with the speeder in front of me with me floating behind it rather than mounted on it. I laughed, no biggie. But I'm sure someone is working on a fix. But if someone from the cs or dev team says it will be fixed by tomorrow and it isn't then I can understand why people would be pissed in 3 weeks if that glitch is still there. So I empathize with the hood up/down situation. I just can't get too worked up over it because it's only a visual thing. Having said that, if the devs promised a fix than a fix should have come. It's not about that particular glitch, it's about honesty to the players.

Edit: Or at least communicate why it hasn't been done yet. I'm perfectly willing to excuse things when I'm kept informed on it. But the lack of communication is a problem.

Edited by joenewbie

One thing I find odd, when you control-click to preview many of the chest pieces you find or synthweave, the preview image shows it without a hood on/up. That means they already have the graphics for the hoodless option rendered. Given that there's not some huge backlog of armor graphics to be duplicated in hoodless variants, and that they already have a working head-slot toggle mechanism, what's the hold-up on the hood up/down toggle?

I can not believe this is not in game yet...

I hope there are some REALLY killer outfits in the store or I'm giving up and moving on.

Resolve still sucks, barely acceptable cusomization options, no corss server anything and no real communication.

and to the guy above me. Yep I'd quit over hoods, It's a video game...if I wanted to imagine the characters looked cool I'd play tabletop.

I never said I was quiting over it, but I do think it is mildly rediculous that they still haven't sorted it out given that a lot of their customers are asking them to. I'd rather my toon not perpetually have his head stuffed in a burlap sack. Sorry if that doesn't jive with your priorities. Perhaps it's because actually DO play table top as well that I care.

If vanity isn't an issue, go download ZMUD/CMUD and play the SW muds. But, they gave us graphics here, you know, something to look at, not just words. Vanity is a real issue. Being visually immersed in the game, is part of the game, being able to take the role of my character and saving the galaxy, with my hood DOWN, is a BIG DEAL to me. Just as being able to wear a robe at all, without my character butt being the biggest part of my character. They've finally fixed that, in v1.4. Finally, it was cursed about since beta. Lightsaber crystal colours was another one. Playing ANY game with graphics is all about vanity. Yes, we want our characters to look nice, we want our characters to be unique, we want our characters to look the role we imagine them to be. Be it a black robed human, with their hood down, running around with a red lightsaber following the Jedi code more fluently than any of the NPC masters or some brown robed Chiss, with their hood up, wielding a purple lightsaber while hiding the fact that they use the dark side.

Would anyone really play SWTOR if we were stick figures? Of course, graphics are an issue, vanity is an issue, becoming our character is an issue. So, please, don't come in here trolling about "Oh, this is not an important concern, how can it be over this and this and this.". Don't pretend yours has nothing to do with graphics.

Ever since this game started accepting money, we've had to fight to get our desires known. Our characters were stuck to blue, green, and yellow lightsabers, people quoting movies (that haven't even happened yet in this timeline) as lore for this game. Our characters having hundreds of brillo pads shoved in our butt area and our hoods being forced to stay up. Many of us have waited, many of us have left, because these issues were never focused on.

And there were many people who countered with - "What does it matter if you have a purple lightsaber, if your butt is big, if you can toggle your hood down or not?" - It's my money and my time, that's what matters. I purchased the game, I pay a monthly fee, and I decide what is worth my money.

I don't want to spend my money running around with my fat butt robes, wielding a blue lightsaber, unable to show my face. If I wanted to play a Trooper, I'd have made one, I want to play a Jedi Knight. Sure, they addressed some of these issues, as minor ones. Even had us pay extraordinary prices just to be able to buy purple crystals for a limited time, now they're available in game as a PvP item, and you got to work up to it. They took off the requirements for other colours, even threw in a bunch of other crud. But, still, why am I only now, 9 months later, on a PUBLIC TEST SITE, able to see MY character without a giant butt?

Yes, 9 months, to remove a giant butt. 9 months, still stuck to red, blue, green, and yellow in artifice. 9 months, adaptive armour is only on "vendor sold" orange armour. 9 months, and I can't even yank my hood down to see these wonderful new "emotions" they're offering us in v1.4. Yes, I'm vain, graphics matter to me, and I'm a little sick of spitting out dollar after dollar for empty promises to what *I* deem important.

-Jen

Edited by EvilJen
Clarification and spelling

If vanity isn't an issue, go download ZMUD/CMUD and play the SW muds. But, they gave us graphics here, you know, something to look at, not just words. Vanity is a real issue. Being visually immersed in the game, is part of the game, being able to take the role of my character and saving the galaxy, with my hood DOWN, is a BIG DEAL to me. Just as being able to wear a robe at all, without my character butt being the biggest part of my character. They've finally fixed that, in v1.4. Finally, it was cursed about since beta. Lightsaber crystal colours was another one. Playing ANY game with graphics is all about vanity. Yes, we want our characters to look nice, we want our characters to be unique, we want our characters to look the role we imagine them to be. Be it a black robed human, with their hood down, running around with a red lightsaber following the Jedi code more fluently than any of the NPC masters or some brown robed Chiss, with their hood up, wielding a purple lightsaber while hiding the fact that they use the dark side.

Would anyone really play SWTOR if we were stick figures? Of course, graphics are an issue, vanity is an issue, becoming our character is an issue. So, please, don't come in here trolling about "Oh, this is not an important concern, how can it be over this and this and this.". Don't pretend yours has nothing to do with graphics.

Ever since this game started accepting money, we've had to fight to get our desires known. Our characters were stuck to blue, green, and yellow lightsabers, people quoting movies (that haven't even happened yet in this timeline) as lore for this game. Our characters having hundreds of brillo pads shoved in our butt area and our hoods being forced to stay up. Many of us have waited, many of us have left, because these issues were never focused on.

And there were many people who countered with - "What does it matter if you have a purple lightsaber, if your butt is big, if you can toggle your hood down or not?" - It's my money and my time, that's what matters. I purchased the game, I pay a monthly fee, and I decide what is worth my money.

I don't want to spend my money running around with my fat butt robes, wielding a blue lightsaber, unable to show my face. If I wanted to play a Trooper, I'd have made one, I want to play a Jedi Knight. Sure, they addressed some of these issues, as minor ones. Even had us pay extraordinary prices just to be able to buy purple crystals for a limited time, now they're available in game as a PvP item, and you got to work up to it. They took off the requirements for other colours, even threw in a bunch of other crud. But, still, why am I only now, 9 months later, on a PUBLIC TEST SITE, able to see MY character without a giant butt?

Yes, 9 months, to remove a giant butt. 9 months, still stuck to red, blue, green, and yellow in artifice. 9 months, adaptive armour is only on "vendor sold" orange armour. 9 months, and I can't even yank my hood down to see these wonderful new "emotions" they're offering us in v1.4. Yes, I'm vain, graphics matter to me, and I'm a little sick of spitting out dollar after dollar for empty promises to what *I* deem important.

-Jen

This is the embodiment of what's wrong here... me me me.... and then don't forget about me me me... and then me me me. Any wonder the world is messed up? Ok so you want hoodup/down... do you think the devs don't know it by now? You've made your case... now you're willing to quit the game over it? Really, the game has no other merits but hood up / hood down. Maybe you should quit if that's the center of your universe.

Don't get me wrong, they said they were going to do it, and thus they should. But this constant whining about it is just... well, like an annoying 6 year old telling you about how cool the Green Teletubby is vs the Yellow one... Just enjoy the show.

If you seriously don't find the storylines / gameplay compelling enough to hold you, in spite of hood on / hood off... then you really need to set priorities straight and maybe spend less time in front of a computer.

This is the embodiment of what's wrong here... me me me.... and then don't forget about me me me... and then me me me. Any wonder the world is messed up? Ok so you want hoodup/down... do you think the devs don't know it by now? You've made your case... now you're willing to quit the game over it? Really, the game has no other merits but hood up / hood down. Maybe you should quit if that's the center of your universe.

Don't get me wrong, they said they were going to do it, and thus they should. But this constant whining about it is just... well, like an annoying 6 year old telling you about how cool the Green Teletubby is vs the Yellow one... Just enjoy the show.

If you seriously don't find the storylines / gameplay compelling enough to hold you, in spite of hood on / hood off... then you really need to set priorities straight and maybe spend less time in front of a computer.

What's the "world" got to do with SW:TOR? Well aware the devs are aware of it, they've addressed it numerous times, with lies. I wasn't trying to make a case, I was attempting to debunk your obvious attempts at trolling a thread about hood up/hood down. It's not the center of my universe. The game is more than "storylines" and "gameplay". I do not believe my priorities are an issue here. Now, would you stop trolling the hood up/hood down thread?

-Jen

Good news! (...perhaps.) I jumped on to do a bit of crafting and (after running the repair function to get the game to launch post 1.4) I discovered that the hood on my robes was gone. Previous night hood; last night no hood.

I checked and it appears that when you have something in the head slot, and select to hide that slot it now takes the hood off instead of the head gear (i.e. I could still see my doofy headband, but hey let's not split hairs). It seems to toggle back and forth now, so I'm hoping it wasn't just a fluke. It didn't work on my Sage's Esseles robes, but he's still pretty low level and doesn't have anything in the head slot yet.

Sooooo, perhaps BW fixed it in 1.4 afterall. Kudos if that's the case! My wife in particular will be happy that her Jedi's head is no longer perpetually stuffed in a burlap sack! :D

(Oh and i have to ask, why on earth are the folks posting here about this being a pointless, vain, time-wasting, non-issue, bothering to spend their time reading and posting to a thread titled "Hood On/Off Toggle?")

Good news! (...perhaps.) I jumped on to do a bit of crafting and (after running the repair function to get the game to launch post 1.4) I discovered that the hood on my robes was gone. Previous night hood; last night no hood.

I checked and it appears that when you have something in the head slot, and select to hide that slot it now takes the hood off instead of the head gear (i.e. I could still see my doofy headband, but hey let's not split hairs). It seems to toggle back and forth now, so I'm hoping it wasn't just a fluke. It didn't work on my Sage's Esseles robes, but he's still pretty low level and doesn't have anything in the head slot yet.

Sooooo, perhaps BW fixed it in 1.4 afterall. Kudos if that's the case! My wife in particular will be happy that her Jedi's head is no longer perpetually stuffed in a burlap sack! :D

(Oh and i have to ask, why on earth are the folks posting here about this being a pointless, vain, time-wasting, non-issue, bothering to spend their time reading and posting to a thread titled "Hood On/Off Toggle?")

Headband, huh? We all know about headbands overiding the hoods now :L I was thinking that you might think something else and I bought myself a trooper helmet. No, the hood wasn't removed when I put the helmet on and select to hide it :<